• Breaking News

    Monday, February 8, 2021

    Learning motivation vs 12 hour shifts learn programming

    Learning motivation vs 12 hour shifts learn programming


    Learning motivation vs 12 hour shifts

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 10:42 AM PST

    I work 12 hours a day for 4-5 days a week. I wake up at 4:00 to go to work and arrive home at 20:00 and sleep at 22:00 and the pay is around £1.2k a month.

    I become exhausted to study after work. On my non work day, I try to study but I finally want to have fun(wasting time on stupid yt vids). My laptop freezes whenever I try to code because my laptop can't handle it but I can't afford to buy new because I've got to pay my family debt. I have to research a lot, which takes a lot of time.

    I just want to give up because of stuff mentioned above but then I remember I've always been giving up in my entire life.

    submitted by /u/fuckthedestiny
    [link] [comments]

    FINALLY Deployed a Model to production, it only took 11 Months!!!!!

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 03:49 PM PST

    I've been programming in python for about 2 years now, and I wanted to learn how to deploy a machine learning model in a production system. I thought how hard could it be???? It should only take me about 3 weeks, at the most, to learn how to do it, and boy was I wrong!!!!!! I didn't just want to take a course, I wanted to do something from scratch, and learn it myself since that's the advice the sub often preaches.

    The project that I decided to focus on using a machine to live stream audio from the web browser and generate predictions. Specifically wanted to generate predictions on gender, age, and country of origin.

    When I started this project I had no idea how to do it, along the way I ended up learning about:

    • Machine Learning Pipeline, and experimentations
    • Containerization and deployment using Docker, and Kubernetes
    • Continuous deployment and integration with Circle CI
    • Web Design
    • Javascript, HTML, and CSS
    • Socket programming and API
    • Flask
    • DNS and Cloudflare
    • NGINX
    • Bash scripting
    • Google Cloud
    • Digital Ocean
    • Heroku
    • Unit Testing, Integration testing
    • Linux

    Who knew there was so much involved in a deployment.

    I'm not going to lie, it was very painful, and it took me a full 11 months to get it to work. I was stuck on 1 problem: how to stream audio in real-time and pass it through a socket API in real-time, for 5 months. I did feel like giving up, especially since it wasn't a requirement for my job, but my ego wouldn't let me.

    I'm so glad that I persevered, I spent so many nights researching and reading about how to complete this project.

    I gained a lot of hard skills in this project but the most important one was how to google error messages, and I learned the importance of thinking through the architecture before you begin the project, I changed the architecture, at least 4 times, and if I had spent time on it before I would have finished earlier.

    I couldn't have done it without a Reddit, specifically: r/learnprogramming, r/docker, r/learnpython, r/flask, r/learnmachinelearning, r/googlecloud, r/devops

    I asked so many questions on here, and thank you to all the people that took the time to help a brother out. I really appreciate it.

    If you are curious about the site its called commvoice

    I know that the HTML isn't the best right now, I still need to do some work on the CSS component. I'm so glad it works.

    My next steps:

    - Make the home page more pretty

    - Add more metadata about the model, and remove the model from GitHub

    - Create the model for age and

    Let me know your thoughts.

    Github

    submitted by /u/da_chosen1
    [link] [comments]

    Ι think I suck at coding

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 11:20 AM PST

    It's been a week I have been working on this chatroom. At the beginning I set everything and it worked really well on terminal without graphics. Then I started making graphics and I understood that even if I did the complex stuff I still stuck in things like labels and how to get and delete text on tkinter. How do you overcome those phases? I really want to become a programmer and go to college and study computer science but how will I get there If I stuck on the basics?

    . Btw I am 16 and I have been learning python for 3 months but I have an ok understanding of how things work at the field

    submitted by /u/Gveloper_
    [link] [comments]

    Would Learning To Code Save My life

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 02:48 PM PST

    I live in a third world country and i was able to afford my first laptop in october last year, since then I've been teaching myself how to code, i am learning JavaScript now but the journey hasn't been easy, i'm hoping that these skills would give me the opportunity to create a better life for myself and my family. I can't afford professional training so I use youtube to learn, would I ever be able to go far with this, or am I being delusional? To be honest, I don't know but the idea of creating things with computer codes amazes me, and its something I would love to do. I've not been able to get a job yet but I'm still developing myself, it's either this works for me or..... I don't want to imagine the if else output, but I this has to work, the future and lives of a lot of people depend on me succeeding at this although a lot of people think I'm waiting my time because given our background and demographics there's no practical monetary use of these skills I'm learning. The man who earns less than $20 a month wouldn't hire me to design a website for his business. My dreams are too far off over the horizon even for me to see but I just hope that this works.

    submitted by /u/LegitimateNinja6547
    [link] [comments]

    Before applying for a front end posting what are some skills to be good at besides learning HTML, CSS, and JAVASCRIPT?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 07:04 PM PST

    Hey everyone just wanted to start by saying how much this page has helped me through the process of learning front end program if. I am a 32-year-old who lost my job as an engineering technician because of COVID and I have been trying to learn to code for the past few months. I honestly get like 90% of all my direction and motivation from here. So THANK YOU ALL

    I feel like I have been getting better at HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, I'm wondering what other types of skills should I try to improve on before I apply for a job. I guess what I'm asking is an explanation of how the flow of web developer position goes? Are there other resources I should know before applying?

    submitted by /u/Vakolli
    [link] [comments]

    I am (fearfully) attempting to learn Python again, but I can't afford Codecademy's crazy $40/m. Is freeCodeCamp a good alternative? (more detailed Q inside)

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 05:00 PM PST

    The thing that is making me hesitate with freeCodeCamp is that their syllabus involves a lot of not-Python stuff (here it is). Maybe this is actually the better way to learn, but I wanted to check with some more experienced folks before I committed myself to it.

    Any other alternatives to Codecademy that you think are better than freeCodeCamp would be appreciated too, if you've got some ideas. Codecademy really struck me when I tried learning before (interrupted by life stuff) because it feels a lot like duolingo. There's a nice sense of progression and the skill checks seemed nicely spaced out. I've tried some programs that seem to throw you into the deep end way too fast, and some others that don't seem to make any attempt to challenge you at all.

    But anyway, sorry to ramble - is freeCodeCamp's method of teaching you some things from other languages before getting into Python a positive or a waste of time?

    submitted by /u/onrocketfalls
    [link] [comments]

    Is my graduation project idea suit to my programming level?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 11:24 PM PST

    Hey all, I am a beginner in programming (I know the basics and some concepts of OOP) also I have no experience on building projects or how to build it. I chose for my graduation project the idea of building "File Management Software" (desktop application). The implementation of the idea and building the software will be in the 1st semester after the summer vacation.

    Is this idea suit for my programming level? Or Am I involving myself into a hard task?

    Also if the idea is not suit to my programming level is there any chance that I will be able to build the software if I enhanced and improved my programming level in the vacation? If the answer is Yes there is a chance, How I can do it?

    If the answer is No it is difficult task for you. So are there any ideas for desktop application (or maybe android application, but I prefer desktop) that is suit for me?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/FalconIsland09
    [link] [comments]

    If I build an application for my current employer, is it ok to show it to potential future employers?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 11:08 PM PST

    If this is in the wrong sub please point me in the right direction.

    I built a few programs while learning to code for my current employer. I'd like to show my work to potential employers but wasn't sure how to go about doing that. How do you go about sharing work when someone else owns the rights to it? Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/orion2222
    [link] [comments]

    WGU Computer Science vs Software Development degrees?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 07:08 PM PST

    I'm likely starting an IT job at WGU in about a month, and they offer a 75% discount on tuition after six months. I took two years of computer science education for my associates back in 2012-2014, but ended up going into more systems IT. I'm ready to go back into programming, but I don't know which degree to go for or even if I should go for one of them at all. Advice?

    submitted by /u/crystalconfusion
    [link] [comments]

    Best Pagination Type for this Scenario

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 10:23 PM PST

    I want to paginate data based on field X that gets updated very often (think of Reddit posts) that is non sequential, but is unique (though the unique key changes on the fly because it's based off of field X). Should I be using cursor based pagination (not even sure if it's possible in this case) or what would be an alternative solution that would be better than offset based that has better performance and ideally is suited for infinite scrolling?

    submitted by /u/freetoplay123
    [link] [comments]

    Learning with code academy

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 09:50 PM PST

    I have no experience in programming at all, I was confused when I was looking at a line of to write "Hello, World", if that helps put it into perspective.

    I was wondering if code academy is a good place to start for someone like me when it comes to learning C#.

    submitted by /u/ComponentName
    [link] [comments]

    Did you ever feel like you couldn’t do this?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 01:07 PM PST

    The older I get, the more of a "I'm not good at this quickly, I'll never be good at it" type of person I become. Have you overcome this?

    submitted by /u/goldenbrain8
    [link] [comments]

    Best courses/apps to learn how to program an app?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 06:49 PM PST

    First of all, I'm 15 and I'm new to programming even though I am decently knowledgeable in technology and computers, and English is not my native language so sorry in advance for any misspellings

    I'm trying to learn how to create apps so I can create a stock investment/trading app (and website)

    Can anyone here help me with my project? Like telling me which is the best programming language for mobile apps, what is the best program to use, the best courses to get me through the ropes, etc....

    I am in no rush so speed is not of the essence here

    Thank you all in advance

    submitted by /u/LeKneegerino
    [link] [comments]

    Motivation behind spending hours on learning to code.

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 08:52 PM PST

    Wonder if anyone experienced a similar situation.

    I work in tech (go-to-market), and I have been tinkering with code for a long time, without ever having a motivation to get a software engineering job. Yet, I constantly keep returning to tutorials, trying to build apps and learning both front-end and back-end without a proper "WHY". I have a small goal of going independent some day with a potential software side-hustle (I would still do it with a proper CTO) but I can spend 10 hours on learning straight but sometimes stop myself asking why did I just do that. I guess partially it's just a curiosity of solving for problems and code sometimes feels fairly therapeutic.

    Wonder if someone has experienced the same feeling? What was your main motivation?

    submitted by /u/kirso
    [link] [comments]

    Anyway to search for a node in a binary tree that is unorganized?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 06:42 AM PST

    I tried going down the left side of tree, but then if you don't find it how do you go down the right side.

    submitted by /u/collegeidiot123
    [link] [comments]

    How do antivirus work?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 11:55 PM PST

    And if the antivirus doesn't detect anything, how certain can I be that there isn't a virus?

    submitted by /u/SquareSubstance554
    [link] [comments]

    Would compiler side projects hinder my ability to get a job?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 11:49 PM PST

    Hello,

    So, I am learning about compilers and writing small ones in ruby to get a feel for the language and for compilers in general. I am enjoying the process but fear that non-traditional side projects will make it harder to get a job. Should I be concerned?

    submitted by /u/daybreak-gibby
    [link] [comments]

    How to make learning Javascript worth it?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 11:48 PM PST

    Currently learning programming. Decided to start with Javascript. As I look into some job posting, I realized that Javascript alone wouldn't get me anywhere. I bought this online course from Udemy, The Complete JavaScript Course 2021: From Zero to Expert!.

    I'm at 45% before completion. If you would look at the course content from an experienced/veteran/professional dev, is this course worth it as a stepping stone into the industry? Or it will depend on me?

    I looked into some job postings, and they usually require you to know more than Javascript which I already know but not at this scale. Currently, feels like I'm a lvl. 5 character with 5 skills but the dungeon will require you to be a lvl. 25 with 10 active skills and 5 passive skills.

    Honestly, I'm f*cking lost. I'm also working as a customer service rep while learning how to code, and money's low...like, like "to make ends meet" low. I want to change my career (so bad). The idea of creating something is really amazing, and it's been a dream of mine to create my own video game (lol).

    Don't get me wrong, I've been learning a lot from the course. Not only in programming, but I'm also developing a weird habit of viewing things as if they're just a bunch of codes (I hope that makes sense)

    Now, is this worth it? Or it's up to me to MAKE it worth it?...HOW am I gonna make it worth it?

    Thank you so much for any guidance.

    submitted by /u/oaerg
    [link] [comments]

    Arduino HID Keyboard Matrix

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 11:36 PM PST

    Hi. I'm trying to build my own keyboard using an arduino pro micro, but I'm having some trouble with the code. I'm trying to set up a 2 dimensional array for all my keys, and most of them work fine. The problem is the modifier keys. For keys like the space key, when I call them as Keyboard.press(KEY_SPACE) it's fine, but since I'm using an array in the code it's called as Keyboard.press(layout[i][j]), and when it points to KEY_SPACE in the array, it outputs , for some reason. There's a similar problem with all the keys, like shift. With shift when I put Keyboard.press(KEY_LEFT_SHIFT) in the setup section and then press a key it capitalizes that key normally, but when the layout calls KEY_LEFT_SHIFT from an array, it doesn't do that.

    Some things that I learned that might be helpful are that the single characters with ' surrounding them are ASCII codes, which are the ones that are working fine. The ones that aren't working are the USB HID Keycodes, which are the KEY_LEFT_SHIFT and KEY_SPACE ones. Something about these just don't work with the matrix, I just can't figure out how to fix it.

    I tried the same code with just the default arduino keyboard library, and the modifier keys worked fine with that, so it's definitely something about the HID-project library. But I need specifically the HID-Project library for what I'm doing, so I can't just use the default keyboard library.

    I tried asking this in the Arduino subreddit, StackOverflow and Arduino's own forum, but I haven't gotten a response there, so I thought I might try asking here.

    I've been blocked on specifically this problem for over a month now, and it's pretty frustrating, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

    #include <HID-Project.h> #include <HID-Settings.h> #include <Adafruit_MCP23017.h> Adafruit_MCP23017 mcp; byte inputs[] = {4,5,6,7,8,9}; const int inCount = sizeof(inputs)/sizeof(inputs[0]); byte outputs[] = {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14}; const int outCount = sizeof(outputs)/sizeof(outputs[0]); char keys[2][2] = { {KEY_LEFT_SHIFT, KEY_J}, {KEY_K, KEY_W} }; bool keysDown[2][2] = { {false, false}, {false, false} }; void setup() { // put your setup code here, to run once: mcp.begin(); for(int i=0; i<outCount; i++){ mcp.pinMode(outputs[i],OUTPUT); mcp.digitalWrite(outputs[i],LOW); } for(int i=0; i<inCount; i++){ pinMode(inputs[i],INPUT_PULLUP); } Serial.begin(9600); Keyboard.begin(); } void loop() { // put your main code here, to run repeatedly: keyCheck(); } void keyCheck() { for (int i=0; i<2; i++){ mcp.digitalWrite(outputs[i],LOW); for (int j=0; j<2; j++) { if(digitalRead(inputs[j]) == LOW && keysDown[i][j] == false) { Keyboard.press(keys[i][j]); keysDown[i][j] = true; }else if(digitalRead(inputs[j]) == HIGH && keysDown[i][j] == true) { Keyboard.release(keys[i][j]); keysDown[i][j] = false; } delay(1); } mcp.digitalWrite(outputs[i], HIGH); } } 
    submitted by /u/Oreo4123
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on Web Developer Bootcamp

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 07:32 PM PST

    I'm sure most of everyone has heard of the Web Developer Bootcamp by Colt Steele. Just want to gather thoughts on the program. I've been using FreeCodeCamp and got thru HTML/CSS perfectly. I also got thru all 100+ of the basics of JavaScript fine, which may or may not have been due to my experience with Python. However, after that, I just got completely lost and frustrated with JavaScript, especially since there weren't any videos to guide me thru this process. I also felt like they didn't do a good enough job with tying in JS with HTML/CSS. Does the Udemy course do itself justice? I just want to get myself back on track to know enough HTML/CSS/JS so I can apply for a job. I know people have recommended free resources in the past, but I feel like I can start slipping if I don't pay a cent. That doesn't mean I'll pay $100+ a month for something, but I wouldn't mind dropping ~$20 for a course

    submitted by /u/PeekedInMiddleSchool
    [link] [comments]

    Window in imshow isn't responding after it detects face, why is that?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 11:00 PM PST

    Here are my codes, can you tell me why the window frame in imshow is not responding after it detects someone's face?

    cap = cv2.VideoCapture(0) if not cap.isOpened(): raise IOError("Cannot open webcam") while True: success, eImgs = cap.read() if success: font = cv2.FONT_HERSHEY_PLAIN datet = str(datetime.now()) frame = cv2.putText(eImgs, datet, (10, 50), font, 1, (0, 0, 128), 1, cv2.LINE_AA) #eImgs_v1 = cv2.resize (eImgs, (0, 0), None, 0.25, 0,25) eImgs_v1 = cv2.cvtColor(eImgs, cv2.COLOR_BGR2RGB) facesWebcam = face_recognition.face_locations(eImgs_v1) encodesWebcam = face_recognition.face_encodings(eImgs_v1, facesWebcam) for encodeKnown_v2, faceLoc in zip(encodesWebcam, facesWebcam): facesCompared = face_recognition.compare_faces(encodeKnown, encodeKnown_v2) faceDistance = face_recognition.face_distance(encodeKnown, encodeKnown_v2) faceIndex = np.argmin(faceDistance) if facesCompared[faceIndex]: employeeName = ListNames[faceIndex] y = employeeName if y: print(y) print("AUTHORIZED") else: print("UNAUTHORIZED") p1, p2, p3, p4 = faceLoc cv2.rectangle(eImgs, (p1, p2), (p3, p4), (0, 255, 0), 2) cv2.putText(eImgs, y, (p1, p3), cv2.FONT_HERSHEY_PLAIN, 1, (0, 255, 0), 2) time.sleep(1) arduino = serial.Serial('COM9', 115200, timeout=.1) time.sleep(1) print("The system is ready!") while True: barcode = arduino.readline()[:-2] strbarcode = barcode.decode('utf-8') if strbarcode: x = strbarcode print(x) if y == x: print('Have a nice day!') time.sleep(3) print(Next Employee please!) else: print('This is not yours!') break continue cv2.imshow('EMPLOYEE', eImgs) c = cv2.waitKey(1) if c == ord('X'): break continue cap.release() cv2.destroyAllWindows() 
    submitted by /u/LanthaYtrri
    [link] [comments]

    I created an interactive Blockly coding platform to teach basic programming concepts

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 10:42 PM PST

    I primarily created this to teach kids programming so that they can focus on learning the programming concepts without worrying too much on the syntax. It serves as a stepping stone for kids to learn text-based programming.

    A little back story, I run a small coding academy for kids in Malaysia and we teach students age 9 - 15yo. Most students here do not have any exposure to programming so we get them started with block-based programming using MIT App Inventor. While App Inventor is a fantastic platform, we like to give more emphasis on the programming concepts instead which could help them to translate their knowledge better when they start to learn text-based programming. I've been trying to look for something similar to CodeCademy or FreeCodecamp but with blocks and I can't seem to find any. In the end, I built one for my own use.

    If you want to teach kids using block-based programming or you are trying to build apps using low-code platform such as Kodular and Thunkable then you could give it a try and let me know your feedback!

    csplayground.io

    submitted by /u/mniyw
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone want to help me build a front end?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 10:27 PM PST

    To learn Python, I began writing a CLI based accounting program that leverages a Postgres database for storing transactions. Its been a great process, but the control flow of the program has become a bit if a nightmare. For anyone learning front end development, would you like to help me build a front end for this program? Im more than happy to work through all the backend lifting as I continue to build this out and arrange the code properly.

    Important note : Ive been in sql for 2 years and Python for 1. Skills are rudimentary, but effective and improving.

    submitted by /u/fleegz2007
    [link] [comments]

    Question regardin gitignore

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 09:56 PM PST

    I have a project that has two subfolders, client and server. I was wondering since I am going to post my project on github should I add a main git ignore in the main folder or should I rather add a git ignore in each subfolder?

    submitted by /u/greencharizard20
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment