• Breaking News

    Monday, February 8, 2021

    I made a game in a month and earned 30k in revenue

    I made a game in a month and earned 30k in revenue


    I made a game in a month and earned 30k in revenue

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 06:57 PM PST

    I've been thinking about writing this post after all the recent threads on how long people spend working on their first game, and I figured I'd share my experience on this.

    I feel like there's this misconception in indie dev that a game has to be "big" to be financially successful, and devs can't create any less than that if they want to make game dev their career. Small games are just for game jams or learning new skills, but they don't make any money, right?

    I'm a full time solo dev. A year ago I released my second game on Steam called Bunny Park, which I made in 6 weeks total, from the first concept to release day.

    Here's the Steam page for reference: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1208600/Bunny_Park/

    Bunny Park is tiny, kinda silly, and 5$. I kept the scope as small as possible while still making the game fun with about 5 hours of gameplay. A year after release, it's generated about 30k USD in revenue. For a month of work, I'm pretty happy about it.

    Well, even if it makes money, making small games is easy and boring, right?

    It can be, but.. I love Bunny Park. I had so much fun making it and I still love sharing it with people. The game was especially challenging to design and execute well because I had so little time and resources to create it. Every single thing I made for the game had to meaningfully improve the player's experience. There was no time for fluff, extra features or wrong decisions. Marketing a small game is also extra difficult as you don't have much time to market it and there's usually less to showcase in the game, so you have to make sure that your hook is solid.

    The idea of making a big game is really appealing. You can have a giant scope, dream of all the possible features you could add, how amazing and epic it would be and all that. But the reality when you start working on it isn't so pretty. With small games, it's much easier to meet your own expectations, stay motivated and actually release your game.

    Finally I'll just add, if you're making games as a hobby, don't take this advice. Have fun making your game and take the time you need. If making games doesn't need to bring in profits, don't get stressed about it and just enjoy the process. If you're looking to do this as a career though, always be mindful of your time, and keep your first few games short and sweet :)

    submitted by /u/elliebeanzz
    [link] [comments]

    I FINISHED MY FIRST GAME!!! And it is mostly thanks to you.

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 06:50 AM PST

    So, you may not know me, my name is Peter and I posted here out of frustration last month for not being able to finish any of my games since I started this, you can check it out here:

    How do you finish a game without having a mental breakdown? : gamedev (reddit.com)

    It was super helpful for me and I want to tell you my little journey and I hope it is helpful for you too, if you're having problems like these.

    So, after all the replies I got which were an awesome help, I decided to restart the same game, I deleted everything except for the artwork and started from 0. It was a wild ride, I got stuck on many problems just like the first time, but instead of getting frustrated and giving up, I kept in mind what you said, that it is normal to run into coding problems even for long periods of time.

    I also tried to focus more on the present instead of the future, I focused on how my game was improving instead of what I wanted the game to be. I know it's important to have a vision of what you want your game to be, but don't attach that to your project all the time, comparing what it is to what you want it to be, if you do that you'll never be happy with your work.

    As I said, it was a huge help to just talk and hear from others, it gave me another perspective for the problems I had, so ASK FOR HELP, talk about the problems you're facing and NEVER be afraid of admitting you can't solve something on your own. No one is born with the skills of creating games, we look for answers and learn from mistakes.

    The other thing that made me really lose a lot of motivation was comparing my unfinished, unpolished project to other people's games. You can't know how much work they put in their games just by looking at it and you can't know how long they're doing it and how many games they finished. The only thing you should be comparing your game to, is the previous versions of it. Take screenshots, record videos so you can watch later. That way you'll be much more motivated and feel way better about you progress.

    It was really hard for me, although it is a super simple, 4 min game, but it was really nice to work on this. I hope this can be helpful to anyone, remember to always keep the scope small, don't overwork cause it'll get you tired of the project and don't let perfectionism get in the way, otherwise you'll never be satisfied of anything you make.

    If you wanna check out this little thing, it is up on itch io right now on No Way Back by DreadfulHall (itch.io)

    If you wanna ask anything or just talk about your projects and problems you have, feel free to dm me, we can chat about it. Thanks so much for the support and keep the awesome games coming.

    submitted by /u/mirrorsterrifyme
    [link] [comments]

    50 ways to market your game – a list for inspiration/starting

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 09:09 AM PST

    Hey guys,

    If you really don't know how to start, here is a list of ways to market a game I learned through practice (mostly free games), videos and blogs. I saw a lot of posts about starting, and wanted to share a list.

    I don't make a living from GameDev (yet, hopefully) with my studio SmokeSomeFrogs, so I shouldn't and won't tell you which of these ways is more effective than the other. This is just for inspiration and starting :D

    I also don't include stuff that I personally think is scummy or against store rules.

    It is in mind with a PC game.

    1. Reach out to gaming press. Write them a mail, tell them about your game, send a key.

    2. Reach out to bloggers.

    3. Reach out to streamers.

    4. Reach out to YouTubers.

    5. Reach out to non-gaming press, like local newspapers.

    6. Reach out to gaming-related Twitteraccounts.

    7. Run banner ads.

    8. Run video ads.

    9. Pay YouTubers to play your game.

    10. Pay streamers to play your game.

    11. Run social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, …)

    12. Write a blog. (Tumblr, own website, blogger, …)

    13. Become a YouTuber and show your GameDev.

    14. If you are doing something else on YouTube you can still promote your game.

    15. Become a Streamer and show your GameDev.

    16. If you are doing something else on your Stream you can still promote your game.

    17. Write postmortems for your game.

    18. Put up a Steam page.

    19. Promote your games on other games pages of yourself.

    20. Go to multiple storefronts. Steam, Itch, Humble, Gog, Gamejolt, Epic …, everybody gives you visibility.

    21. Port your PC game to another platform (Linux, Mac) or consoles, mobile.

    22. Promote your games in other games of yourself.

    23. Improve your Steam tags, your store description etc.

    24. Have your own website and sell your game there also.

    25. Put out a trailer on YouTube.

    26. Try to be an early adopter of a new social media platform.

    27. Collaborate with other devs to make a game.

    28. Collaborate with other devs in a bundle.

    29. Get a Steam developer page.

    30. Run offline ads.

    31. Post on Reddit.

    32. Have a newsletter.

    33. Do a podcast.

    34. Surely also reach out to gaming podcasters. And be nice!

    35. Print flyers and distribute them.

    36. Go to something like PAX, Gamescom etc.

    37. Go to non-gaming related trade fairs but that still fit your game. Horrorfilm for a Horrorgame can work etc.

    38. Run visibility rounds for your game on Steam.

    39. Find forums that are a good fit for your niche.

    40. Participate in bundles.

    41. Participate in sales.

    42. Make a free demo to promote your game.

    43. Make a free game to promote your game.

    44. Do other pieces of media and promote the game with them. Webcomics, books, etc.

    45. Participate in the Steam game festival.

    46. Have function in your game to share gifs.

    47. Write to a publisher so they handle the stuff for you.

    48. Localize your game/game store page to make it more appealing for non-english speaking audiences. And reach also out to non-english streamers, youtubers, press, ...

    49. Give your game more features, some people search especially for them (Steam Achievements for example).

    50. Update your game and post about (seasonal updates for example)

    Good luck with your game!

    submitted by /u/Moaning_Clock
    [link] [comments]

    My response to the whole "Don't make your first game stupidly big" threads lately. TLDR: yah don't.

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 11:48 AM PST

    Solo Developers who's games did not sell well. READ THIS

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 02:59 AM PST

    I was just reading this post.

    Solo Developers who's games did not sell well WANTED

    What surprised me was that there were some genuinly interesting games there that did not deserve the little amounts of downloads they got.

    So why did my launch fail?

    When you launch a game on steam, so will 30+ other titles, every day. The front page cant show them all, so you have to compete with them during your launch week. Steams algorithm will pick the top selling ones and put them on the front page in New and Trending. If you are not there, you will get a fraction of the traffic because of how many clicks it takes for people to find you. Which is why you need marketing for your launch, but that is another topic that you can find plenty about.

    Yeah i fucked up, now what?

    Well, thankfully all is not lost, there are a few things you can do to salvage your game. I will start with the easiest.

    Put it on Sale

    This one is pretty easy, just click a few buttons in SteamWorks and you're done. When i put my game on sale for 35% off, i get 3-4 times as much traffic, 50% off i got 6-8 times. So right there is an easy way to get more eyes on your project. Put it on sale as much as you can.

    Make a Demo

    Personally i wouldn't put a demo out for a well marketed launch, but now that your game is out, releasing a demo gives you another shot at the New and Trending page. So do some good marketing for its release and you might be able to get some decent traffic to your game.

    Use Visibility Rounds

    Steam has "Update Visibility Rounds" So take a look at any criticism you got from your players, polish some things up and add a few more features. You have 5 of these visibility rounds and each one gives you traffic.

    Make a Sequel

    Instead of giving up and starting from scratch on your next game, work on V2. The ground work has been done, you can make it in a relatively short timeframe. So improve the art or code or more missions or stories and make a sequel. Learn from your last launch and improve your marketing, if it does well, it will also give traffic to your previous game.

    Hope this helps some of you. Good luck!

    submitted by /u/ThrustVector9
    [link] [comments]

    Questions for School

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 10:00 AM PST

    Quick bit of context but I am writing a feature article for my English class about how indie game devs were affected the corona virus pandemic. I was supposed to interview a total of 6 companies that had said yes and such but one dropped out at the last minute. My paper is due tomorrow and without another source answering these questions I can't finish the paper the way I was planning too so I decided to come here to ask for some responses. If anyone could answer these questions that would be amazing all I ask is that you put your company or publishing name. Again I would like responses but if I don't that's okay I guess. Here are the questions:

    How long have you been an Indie Game Dev?

    Were you at any other video game dev companies before?

    Are you developing the games from home or at an office?

    Do you think the game release plans that you expected before the pandemic has changed now during the pandemic?

    Has the pandemic affected game sales percentage wise?

    (If you are working at an office) How often do you go into the office?

    Do you feel safe working at an office or no? Why?

    Would you like to work remotely?

    (If are working from home) If you don't mind me asking do you have similar work hours compared to before the pandemic?

    Do you use your home computer or one from your office?

    Has it been harder for you to collaborate with your team online compared to in person?

    How do you feel about working remotely? why?

    Would you like to keep working remotely in the future or no?

    Have there been any positives from working from home?

    Anything else you would like to write?

    Again any response would be greatly appreciated

    submitted by /u/joe_no_joe
    [link] [comments]

    I have been working on 2 games for a while and I'm wondering whether I should publish them with ketchapp/voodoo

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 09:45 AM PST

    As the title says I have been working on some games for a while and I'm about 3/4 of the way done with them and I was doing research into ketchapp and voodoo to see if I should publish my game with them what I would get out of it, eg would it be more popular, would they help polish it, improve the art? But what I found was people saying they submitted things to them and they ripped it off, now I'm wondering if I should even submit to them or submit to my private profile, and if they do decide not to rip me off would there be any benefits?

    submitted by /u/DarthHead43
    [link] [comments]

    Shadow of Mordor Nemesis System Patent Unfortunately Approved for WB Games

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 08:20 AM PST

    Blender 2.9 Sculpting the Head Tutorial : Nose

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 10:18 AM PST

    Hello I created a project for small companys and game designers looking to use high quality assets in their games or fast prototiping, whithout sell a kidney!

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 10:11 AM PST

    Like the title says I created what I think it is a really good way to help small companys/publishers and game designers to bring the art cost down, for around 10 bucks monthly, or 25 if you are a small company, you will have access to high quality content, and you can use the images produced in your project (one time) and if you hire me for more specific pieces you get up to 15% discount if you are a patreon.

    I have two styles that you can choose from, scary and realistic https://www.behance.net/gallery/87555115/RPG-illustrations

    Or a more cartoon style:https://www.behance.net/gallery/36247543/Feathers-of-Sorrow

    I only a have one subscriber at the moment so it will be a "steal" for the first pledgers who can choose a theme. I will be needing around 120 pledges to get this project run properly and grow into other things.

    With all this said let me know what you think of this https://www.patreon.com/dungeonuniverse

    I'm open to advices or any other thing you might want to see improved in this service I'm offering.

    what you guys think?

    Thank you for reading this.

    submitted by /u/John-florencio
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best way to improve when you're an absolute beginner? (Unity)

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 04:10 AM PST

    So i just finished my first game yesterday (posted on my account if you want to know how bad it is) and i'm not really too sure where to go from here. There are a lot of "MAKE YOUR FIRST UNITY GAME!!" videos out there, i watched a few, and made my first game, but where do i find the "MAKE YOUR SECOND UNITY GAME!!" videos?

    I know unity have tutorials on there website, any recommendations? Or just any other (free :p ) tutorials in general that you found really helpful at the beginning?

    Or any advice on what type of tutorials to for first? Do i keep watching other people make games?

    I knoe there's no "right" way to do it but just looking for suggestions.

    submitted by /u/idkhbtfm-
    [link] [comments]

    Best options to do 2d animation?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 10:02 AM PST

    Hi, I am planning to do my own animations for my games, I was thinking about doing it with live2d supposing it would be easier and more efficient, am I right? Or should I try normal sprite animation? Or do you recommend me other options pls?

    submitted by /u/alesanand97
    [link] [comments]

    Starting My First Ever Game

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 12:40 PM PST

    Hello There!

    I have decided that today will be the day that I start to make my very first game (or just research what I am going to need to do). The game will be a twist on a game that has already been published on the app store and google play ( all the other ones as well) but I am not going to publish my one mainly because the game that others have already made was taken off the app store due to copyright issues. I dont want to be sued for making a game so I am just going to share the files with a few close friends so that we can all enjoy the game that we loved but just with our own personal twist.

    The game isnt a standard mobile game that is 2d or 3d. It is more of an app with game-like elements to it. if any of you have heard of Pacybits or Madfut then this is the kind of style that I am hoping to achieve. I have already kind of designed it in adobe XD and I am getting the hang of using it. If you dont know what Pacybits or Madfut are here is a link to their Instagrams: https://www.instagram.com/pacybits/ https://www.instagram.com/madfut21/ . They are essentially a Fifa pack opener which you can earn coins and you have to try and get all of the players. Due to Pacybits being taken off of the app store me and my friends have lost a game that we all enjoyed. I am going to make us another one that has a bit of a personal touch with cards customized for all of us because we play football ourselves.

    I am going to develop the IOS version first because I have an iPhone and I feel it would be easier to troubleshoot. I am also wondering what the easiest option for sharing the files would be considering that I am not publishing it to the app store so it is not openly available.

    Anyways. I hope to keep you all up to date with my endeavours and might even do a weekly update from the POV of a completely new game developer. And any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/Fletcher2029
    [link] [comments]

    I think my face was highjacked in a video game without my consent

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 08:37 AM PST

    Hi, I had a trailer sent to me about a very popular upcoming video game. I was in shock as I realized that one of the characters in the game literally has my face. And I'm not talking just similarity... everything, to the tiniest details like the slight crookedness of my nose, the shape of my nostrils and my dimples when I laugh and even my exact hairline is the same in this character. Sure this could be just a veeeeeery strange coincidence, but I can't help but to be suspicious. I googled and found out that this has happened before, that gaming studios stole peoples faces off instagram without their consent (i.e. Aya Shalkar in League of Legends). Even though I have WAY less followers on my account than Shalkar, it is a public account. The gaming studio has not released a list of face models yet, so maybe I just have a doppelganger, but what if my face has actually gotten stolen?

    So my questions are – 1. Is this possible? 2. If it is the case, what do I do next? 3. How can I prove this and how would a lawsuit work?

    The game is a SUPER popular game and the studio is one of the biggest. Also just from this trailer that character has gone completely viral and people go nuts over her. While I somewhat feel flattered, IF they took my face, they did that without my consent and I would definitely want to be financially compensated.

    pls help cause this is super scary!

    submitted by /u/rudewitch13
    [link] [comments]

    I made changes to my game description and got noticeably more followers, have you had similar things happen?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 08:29 AM PST

    Hey, Ze here, noobie indie developer, I thought I'd compare notes with other indie devs to see if I can learn something. ^^

    I just put up the demo/prologue of a visual novel on itch.io recently.

    At first, I had just a paragraph of 78 words for the entire description of the game, I figured that people would figure things out by the screenshots or just by playing the game.

    After looking at some other more successful indie visual novels' store pages, I experimented with expanding the description, it's roughly 10x the word-count, and contains several sections, each with their heading, and goes into much more detail on what you do, who you play as, and what the world and story are like.

    If you want to take a look, it's here: https://nimphradora.itch.io/the-remainder

    I mirrored the change to my tumblr page pretty much word by word.

    After that, there seems to be a steady increase in the number of followers on both, and perhaps more importantly there started to be more interactions, like questions, comments, ratings on the page. Before the change, we had 2 comments and 1 rating, and since the change, it's up to 24 comments and 25 ratings. These things change how the itch algorithm looks at the game and its placement on the popular listing, so I expect they help to bring in more views.

    Here's the # of views graph: https://imgur.com/a/QV54zg8

    The previous spike was when itch boosted my game's visibility after a major update.

    A few caveats:

    It's only been 13 days since the change, so I might need more data and observation to really know why this is happening, but my initial gut feeling is this:

    My game is trying to be a novel, or interactive fiction if you will, which means words play the key role. So maybe it makes sense that more words on the page were helping to catch the attention of people who were here for the reading experience. Perhaps the lesson is-it's good to know the taste and expectations of your potential audience and to write your copy accordingly?

    What are your thoughts?
    I'm open to any suggestions, critiques, or whatever.

    submitted by /u/zeddartha
    [link] [comments]

    Why You Need To Do Game Jams

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 12:10 PM PST

    More intuitive minigames -- when complexity made them easier in Ikenfell

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 12:07 PM PST

    Chevy Ray was on Eggplant recently and spoke about how people found linear movement harder to predict than parabolic, acceleration, shrinking, rhythm, or other nonlinear movement. (Ikenfell uses button timing to allow you to block or boost attacks -- like jump timing in Paper Mario.)

    I thought this finding was interesting and wonder if anyone has found the same thing in their games or has seen studies about how the brain predicts motion -- what feels intuitive and what feels wrong.

    Chevy also summed up his findings in this 2020 thread on timing minigames in Ikenfell:

    in ikenfell, you "block" attacks to reduce damage by timing button presses. this can sometimes be tricky, as enemies will throw curveballs at you, stagger their timing, or so surprise "follow up" attacks. at one point, i noticed blocking was WAY too hard.

    ... but if a move starts slow and then ACCELERATES to full speed quickly?

    The button timing has to be exactly when it connects. for some reason, brain understands acceleration in a whole new way.

    You'd think, because the changing velocity, it'd be harder to time things that accelerated, but our brains are very good at detecting deltas, and they're actually easier to block than linear movement, which in reality is very unnatural.

    ... sometimes a spell or ability would just SUCK and then all it turns out I had to do was add a 50ms window to the block timing and it would be fixed.

    submitted by /u/dddbbb
    [link] [comments]

    Sprite Explosion Particle Shader Tutorial (Godot Engine)

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 11:40 AM PST

    Simple Day & Night Low Poly Scenes in Blender & Unity | Rendered in Unity HDRP

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 07:52 AM PST

    An interview with the Lead Developer of Felix The Reaper

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 11:19 AM PST

    Blackthornprod game jam devlog

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 11:18 AM PST

    I made portals in Unity, featuring recursive rendering, autocorrecting portal shots, and preserving velocity of objects through the portals.

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 11:13 AM PST

    After Years Of Trying, WB Games Successfully Patented Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis System

    Posted: 06 Feb 2021 10:26 PM PST

    Which statements are least used in c# game programming?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 11:10 AM PST

    Statements like switch, for loops, while loops, if else if, etc etc, what are some of the ones you learned early in c# but rarely came across them later when you started making games?

    submitted by /u/Xurimah
    [link] [comments]

    What should I major in college if I want to be in game design or development?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 10:49 AM PST

    I've been reading about design and development and was wondering what are the most useful majors to have?

    submitted by /u/cj3106
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment