• Breaking News

    Monday, February 1, 2021

    Hey guys! I run a youtube channel that gives away FREE game art tutorials, and today I'm SUPER excited to share one of my most highly requested videos EVER. Creating Beautiful Sci-fi Worlds in Unreal Engine 4 - This is a 45-minute full breakdown of a beautiful environment, and it's 100% free on YT.

    Hey guys! I run a youtube channel that gives away FREE game art tutorials, and today I'm SUPER excited to share one of my most highly requested videos EVER. Creating Beautiful Sci-fi Worlds in Unreal Engine 4 - This is a 45-minute full breakdown of a beautiful environment, and it's 100% free on YT.


    Hey guys! I run a youtube channel that gives away FREE game art tutorials, and today I'm SUPER excited to share one of my most highly requested videos EVER. Creating Beautiful Sci-fi Worlds in Unreal Engine 4 - This is a 45-minute full breakdown of a beautiful environment, and it's 100% free on YT.

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 06:42 AM PST

    Does anyone feel an urge to create games?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 05:49 PM PST

    I started game development a couple of weeks ago and I'm enjoying it so much, but when I'm on a break or having free time, I always have an urge to go make new games as I have so many ideas that I want to put out. Is this strange?

    submitted by /u/ninjabloodman
    [link] [comments]

    Ocarina of Time Camera in UE4

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 09:14 AM PST

    Does anyone feel themselves playing less games and wanted to create games instead?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 01:03 AM PST

    So I noticed there are a handful of games I regularly play for short periods of time. Lately I have less urge to play and more of an urge to create. I know there has to be people who feel the same. Does anyone else feel the creating of games replaces the need to play?

    submitted by /u/regan0zero
    [link] [comments]

    Exploring Nvidia's DLSS 2.0 in Unreal Engine

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 07:20 AM PST

    Stride3d v4.0 is now live!

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 10:16 AM PST

    Accepted into a Game Design program... Spend $20,000 CAD over 3 years, or learn in my spare time?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 11:06 AM PST

    So, when the pandemic hit last March, I started learning Game Dev in Unity. As I started learning more and more I really enjoyed it, and thought about leaving my career as an audio engineer (live sound/recording and mastering engineer).

    I decided to apply for some programs at my local college just for the fun of it to see what happened. Today I got my acceptance email for next fall. I applied for Game Design which is a 3 year course ($20,000 CAD), and Computer Programming which is a 2 year course ($7,500 CAD).

    With the volatility of the music business I figured learning computer programming might be a good choice as it's much more future proof and stable.

    Now, I'm wondering what your thoughts are about pursuing Game Design through schooling as compared to self teaching. I know you can teach yourself pretty much anything nowadays, but for those of you that went to school for it... Was it worth it? Did you find employment after?

    Thanks for any insight. Let's talk!

    submitted by /u/Warkhai-Xi
    [link] [comments]

    How do you stay motivated when doing the parts you know you're weak on?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 05:26 AM PST

    Last year, I took part in my first ever game jam. It took me longer than I thought it would and made me realise I am nowhere near ready to start on my dream game so this year, I challenged myself to create 6 small but manageable games.

    Here's the thing; I'm a programmer. That's where my skill lies. I'm definitely no artist. I can use Blender passably well but it takes time and a number of tutorials and I find myself that after the coding is complete, I lose motivation to get stuff done.

    For games that are just for me to increase my skill and confidence and will probably die a death on itch, I don't want to spend a fortune on paid assets so would rather do it all myself.

    How do I keep myself going once the coding part is complete?

    submitted by /u/DMEGames
    [link] [comments]

    Unity vs Libgdx in 2021

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 01:09 PM PST

    I am an Android Developer. I wanna start doing game development in my free time. At first I thought of staring with libgdx but there are less resources to learn libgdx compared to Unity. Programming languages isn't a barrier for me I can quickly pickup C# as I know Java and Kotlin. As I am a noob in game development I don't know which one to choose? One more thing I saw games developed in Unity has much better graphics then libgdx(it looks like 90s games) is there any specific reason?

    submitted by /u/QuietShock
    [link] [comments]

    Game programming documentaries

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 12:56 PM PST

    Hey,

    So recently I started watching a lot of game development documentaries like those by Noclip on youtube and they are so fascinating.
    As a programmer, I was sad that those didn't focus more on the programming aspect of game development so I was wondering, as an aspiring game dev, are there any documentaries more focused on programming?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/amitsly
    [link] [comments]

    Game Engine for 2d

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 12:51 PM PST

    I'm thinking of making a 2d game, something like Hyper Light Drifter with procedural terrain generation, and some aspects of Destiny 2. I've written some 2d games in python, very simple, but it's painful to have to write out all the mechanics. After some research I found Unity and Game Maker were mentioned a lot. So what I'm looking for is a good game engine that lets me make something like HLD but still let's me write my own code, (example: not something that limits me to drag-and-drop. I'm fine with drag-and-drop, but I want to be able to have a bit more control.) I'm not new to programming, however I have never used a game engine. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/BerkZerker707
    [link] [comments]

    What game has the most satisfying building mechanic?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 08:44 AM PST

    I am in the pre-production of making a game that will feature base building. I want it to feel fun and rewarding building a house or whatever the player can come up with.

    Imo the most satisfying building mechanic featured in a game is in Minecraft. All blocks are exactly the same size or can fit within that size so it's really simple to build. It's quick placing blocks and only your imagination is the limit of what you can build. Worth mentioning is I plan to make this a low poly game, so not blocks like Minecraft.

    Anyways, what are some games you think has really satisfying building?

    submitted by /u/matteedood
    [link] [comments]

    5 Tips and Tricks for Unity Developers to Instantly Improve Your Code - Here are some of the most useful C# tips to help you write cleaner, more effective code that I've found.

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 10:01 AM PST

    UE4 Tutorial: Witcher 3 Style Combat (1/5) - Setup of character, animations, stearing and scene. With multiplayer support. New part every day!

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 09:28 AM PST

    What should I know before hiring freelance programmers ?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 03:52 AM PST

    NOT SOLICITING EMPLOYMENT ; ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT SOME LOGISTICS.

    My questions are the following :

    - How likely is it to be scammed by freelance programmers ?

    - How expensive/hard is it to program a 3D game in C++ or C# where you : walk, run, crouch, interact with NPCs and provoke different endings ? Gameplay length : 2 to 3hrs for one ending.

    Let's say I have a budget of 15 000 up to 20 000 $. Let's say.

    Thank you gamedevs for your help. I know nothing about programming other than the existence of various languages such as Javascript, HTML, Apex and so on.

    submitted by /u/CitizenKeanu
    [link] [comments]

    Question to game devs. So, what actually happens when your games release?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 02:42 AM PST

    So, as someone who isn't part of the industry I'm really struggling to wrap my head around this. I've never really thought about it and it's just come to mind. This is more specifically aimed towards larger teamed indie studio's, or triple a studios. When a game you've worked months and years releases, what actually happens afterwards? Would you instantly work on patches? Do you get time off? Do you go off and work on something else? Is there some kind of work celebration with dinner, drinking, etc? Does it depend on a good/bad release?

    I understand it's a very odd question, but it seems like something that's never really spoken about. I would believe that it can vary, so I'd be interested in knowing your personal experience with this?

    submitted by /u/SkiesFromBelow
    [link] [comments]

    Virtual Pet question?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 01:26 PM PST

    I'm hope this belongs in GameDev, if not could someone please redirect?

    I'm trying to research on how Virtual pets like Digimon and Tomagatchi are made.

    I would love to be able to program a virutal pet.

    I started wondering what materials are used in a Digivice toy itself and what programs were used to make the virtual pet?

    Is it even possible to make your own virtual pet via programming and irl matierials?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Nekomatagami
    [link] [comments]

    Gamedev (unity) course for programmers?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 01:16 PM PST

    I'm looking for a good unity course to get into gamedev for people who already know how to program. Some time ago I tried the zenva course and the udemy complete 3D gamedev course, but both are for people with little/no experience with programming. Is there anything like that which skips the learn how to program part? I checked the FAQ but it links to some outdated site that uses a program I've never heard of. Would prefer Unity bc I think it's the most accessible engine. Also it would be nice if the FAQ section gets updated with some more recent links!

    submitted by /u/ShaiHuludTheMaker
    [link] [comments]

    Best Programming Languages in Game Development 2021!

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 01:13 PM PST

    Hey guys,

    Want to share the latest work on Best GameDev programming for 2021, hope you would like it <3
    I have covered the most common programming languages in game dev with examples and Game engines, so almost everything you need to know before choosing the one:

    https://youtu.be/vxU4p-KbLa8

    Feel free to comment, I would appreciate any feedback.
    Thank you and Cheers!

    submitted by /u/AndriiTalksTech
    [link] [comments]

    Started a new devlog series while taking on the one-game-a-month challenge!

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 09:10 AM PST

    Some behavior tree questions

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 12:51 PM PST

    Hi, I have some questions about Behavior Tree (BT) and I hope you can help me understand it. I'm currently using a BT plugin to implement my enemy AI and initial test is working, enemy can walk toward player if player is close enough. I want to expand on it and make proper enemy AI but I lack knowledge about BT and hope you guys can answer some of my questions.

    How does Parallel node work? Is it doing it's children all at the same time? The example I follow use Parallel with two children, first connected to inverter then to task "is_enemy_close" then 2nd slot connects to task seek_enemy. I don't understand how that works but in my test, enemy only seek player when "is_enemy_close" does work as intended.

    Where can I read about BT nodes and how they work? So far I only understand task, sequence and selector and inverter. But in BT plugin I use there are more such as Parallel, Repeat, Mute, While, Wait, Race and I want to know what they are for and in what kind of situation we use them

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/babypandabear3
    [link] [comments]

    Game Engine Coding Livestream Part 61 - File Loading & Saving & Highscores Part 6

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 12:27 PM PST

    What's your experience with r/gamedevclassifieds?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 11:15 PM PST

    Looking for some side work to help cover my CoL while I work on my game and found r/gamedevclassifieds. Is it worth posting/looking through each morning?

    submitted by /u/ProgrammerJai
    [link] [comments]

    Any idea on how the mobile game Taxi run was made?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 12:13 PM PST

    I've been trying to clone the game in unity for learning purpose. I've tried with and without wheel colliders, no luck so far. Using wheel colliders and waypoints gives very non accurate waypoint following. I was just wondering if anybody has any suggestion. Thanks. Here is a video of the target game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIOEOvpNHIw

    submitted by /u/blackstarNPacifica
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment