• Breaking News

    Friday, February 26, 2021

    Feedback Friday #433 - Fast Pass

    Feedback Friday #433 - Fast Pass


    Feedback Friday #433 - Fast Pass

    Posted: 25 Feb 2021 08:16 PM PST

    FEEDBACK FRIDAY #433

    Well it's Friday here so lets play each others games, be nice and constructive and have fun! keep up with devs on twitter and get involved!

    Post your games/demos/builds and give each other feedback!

    Feedback Friday Rules:

    Suggestion: As a generally courtesy, you should try to check out a person's game if they have left feedback on your game. If you are leaving feedback on another person's game, it may be helpful to leave a link to your post (if you have posted your game for feedback) at the end of your comment so they can easily find your game.

    -Post a link to a playable version of your game or demo

    -Do NOT link to screenshots or videos! The emphasis of FF is on testing and feedback, not on graphics! Screenshot Saturday is the better choice for your awesome screenshots and videos!

    -Promote good feedback! Try to avoid posting one line responses like "I liked it!" because that is NOT feedback!

    -Upvote those who provide good feedback!

    -Comments using URL shorteners may get auto-removed by reddit, so we recommend not using them.

    Previous Weeks: All

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    I made a calculator for paid youtube videos - give it information about your game and it will give you a price!

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 03:11 AM PST

    I made a beginner tutorial for Material Maker, an awesome free app for making tileable PBR textures

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 01:57 AM PST

    Game Programming Anti Patterns

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 03:51 AM PST

    Inverse Kinematics and the Mystery of the Constraint

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 04:48 AM PST

    Hi All,

    I've spent the last couple of days experimenting with Inverse Kinematics, and so far it's been great, I've got all my bones being bines, the only issue I've been stumped on is the means of applying constraints to the bones, ie not rotating any more than 180 degrees. Does anyone know any good resources on this particular topic with possible examples? I can also toss a pastebin to my code if anyone wants to have a gander at whatever I could be doing wrong. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/WarriorOfJustice1990
    [link] [comments]

    Some fun “Indie Dev Archetypes” by Spelunky creator Derek Yu

    Posted: 25 Feb 2021 09:21 PM PST

    Tutorial showing how I made this Toon-Style fire shader using Shader Graph and Unity - For sure one of the most requested tutorials so far. Best regards! �� (Eng Sub)

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 11:48 AM PST

    Hello Gamedev! If you need help with sound on your game, I put together a few tutorials on easy to do sound effects with household items. Includes abilities, portals, explosions and weapons. I go through my process of brainstorming, recording, layering and editing with audio effects.

    Posted: 25 Feb 2021 09:36 PM PST

    Hello everyone, I put together a few tutorials on how to turn household items into sounds for your games. In these videos I go through my process of brainstorming, recording, layering and editing with audio effects. I use a regular iPhone microphone to show you don't need expensive equipment to get started.

    Creating Attack Ability Sounds:

    https://youtu.be/YvZAZ9zFJ1o

    Creating Heal Sounds:

    https://youtu.be/LgxOcZDor8U

    Creating Portal Sounds:

    https://youtu.be/3sMiCgJOoyc

    Creating Gun Shots:

    https://youtu.be/aiecd2L6vIw

    Creating Laser Sounds:

    https://youtu.be/G9Wv86Rvb5M

    Creating Explosions:

    https://youtu.be/GKnI7hZMtdI

    Hope these videos can help with sound design on your game project. Would appreciate any suggestions on other sounds you would find useful!

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/GravitySoundOfficial
    [link] [comments]

    Are certain video games mechanics copyrighted?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 12:29 PM PST

    What I mean by that is the core elements of the video game. For example: Mario Party. If someone was to make similar game to Mario Party will they get legal trouble with Nintendo or will they be able to go free?

    A game would have the same mechanics and such but very different graphics, characters, and overall story would that still count as copyright infringement?

    submitted by /u/the1andonlyaidanman
    [link] [comments]

    Is anyone interested in a YouTube dev log that is focused on the journey of becoming a game developer?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 11:54 AM PST

    I'm not sure if I'm breaking any rules here, but would anyone be interested in a YouTube dev log that is focused on the journey of becoming a game developer with only some programming knowledge and no art or music experience? I haven't seen any series or channels that do this and it is something I would find interesting to watch. I see a lot of reddit posts showing off their work. Some users truly keep up-to-date progress videos and be honest about their experience, but I also see a lot of posts where the title is "My first game" or "My first animation" and it turns out not to be true or there's something the author left out. Also, I noticed for myself, and probably others, that seeing a preview post can give some unrealistic expectation that they can make something as cool as what they're seeing without realizing the amount of work necessary and/or that the OP has experience in a field such as graphic design, digital art, 3D modeling, or a lot of coding experience.

    Because of that and because I think should do it for myself, I'm personally making a channel that focuses on the journey; to help me keep track of my progress, hold myself accountable, and share with friends and family.

    If anyone else has looked for this type of content or find it interesting, just let me know in the comments. I'll edit this post and link the introductory video, once I know if anyone is interested and that I'm not breaking any sub rules by linking it now.

    submitted by /u/lucidparadox
    [link] [comments]

    New tutorial! - Camera movement in a 2D Platformer in Unity

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 08:08 AM PST

    Easy Buoyancy for Interactive Water here. Also can be used for floating objects like sci-fi drones, hovercars and so on.

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 01:43 AM PST

    Design Hierarchy in a Two-Person Team

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 08:34 AM PST

    During a Digital Dragons conference in 2016, Chris Avellone discusses the importance of hierarchy in game development. Important roles he mentions (in order of importance) are lead director (visionary), systems designer, level designer, and story designer. He states that these positions are strong when occupied by individuals but less so when roles are shared or when people take on more than one role. So how do you create a division of labor and hierarchy with a team of only two people? Is it bad for these two to assume multiple roles or share roles? If so, how can it be avoided?

    submitted by /u/lukums
    [link] [comments]

    Should my game's visual settings default to the best-looking or most performance-friendly option?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 02:17 AM PST

    Wondering if better graphics would make for a better first impression, even if someone with a toaster computer would end up looking at eye-melting FPS for a few seconds before changing their settings.

    submitted by /u/XatomXplosionX
    [link] [comments]

    Hi GameDev, as a newbie what is the best software to create 2d character Hollow Knight-style?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 06:53 AM PST

    Basically the title, I'd like to design a 2d character, more or less in the Hollow knight characters style, know nothing about drawing softwares. What can I begin with?

    submitted by /u/markbug4
    [link] [comments]

    What knowledge would you like to gain out of your customers review and social media comments?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 12:20 PM PST

    Collider with zero restitution still bounces (UE 4.26.1)

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 12:19 PM PST

    I have a sphere collider with a physical material with a restitution of 0 and a Restitution Combine Mode of "Min."

    The floor's physical material has a restitution of 0.3 and a Restitution Combine Mode of "Min." In my project settings, I have the default Restitution Combine Mode set to "Min."

    Why is my sphere still bouncing when it hits the floor?

    submitted by /u/quitefunny
    [link] [comments]

    What course would you recommend?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 12:15 PM PST

    Hi!

    I want to switch from Unity to Unreal Engine and learn the basics like I did in Unity. I made in Unity the free course "Create with Code" ( this ).

    I would like to make a similar course in UE4. I know the basics of C++ but I have heard there are some things are easier to make in Blueprints. (so I search a course mixed with C++ and BP).

    I am currently following this course on Udemy Unreal Engine C++ Developer: Learn C++ and Make Video Games. But I don't really enjoy it. I just feel like .. copy and paste the code.

    I found these:

    - Unreal Engine 4: The Complete Beginner's Course - maybe similar to the Unity "Create with Code" course but I'am not sure if he works only BP or with C++ too.

    - Unreal Engine C++ The Ultimate Game Developer Course

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/ThePinkElephant73
    [link] [comments]

    How do you come up with ideas?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 12:10 PM PST

    I'm having trouble getting inspired, I wanna work on something I just don't know what, how do you come up with unique ideas? Any tips/strategies?

    submitted by /u/sunnyo80
    [link] [comments]

    What happens if a game released on Steam not on scheduled time?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 11:49 AM PST

    I am about to release my first game on Steam. It is a free game, a prologue chapter for my main game. It was scheduled to release on 24th but didn't manage to pass the review in time as there were some issues found. It has passed the review since so I can release at any time now, but what will happen if I just release it? Will it instantly disappear into oblivion because the release date long has passed or will it still get on whatever lists free games get on when they release and still get some visibility? I know I could request release date rescheduling but I just want to make sure that is necessary before I trouble the support, besides I have already done that once and missed the date, not sure if they'd move it again.

    submitted by /u/ronnietracksuit
    [link] [comments]

    Marketing strategies

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 11:45 AM PST

    Hello fellow game Devs! I am rookie game developer and been developing a game for android which is almost complete. What you guys think how should i let people know. This will be my first game and it's all experimental and I want to know what are strategies used

    submitted by /u/Eulbn221
    [link] [comments]

    How can I reset back to version 0 on my app?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 11:42 AM PST

    So I been uploading my app on google play internal releases for testing and I'm up to version 50 now, same for my appstore testflight build versions.. I want to now reset it back to version 0 for my live release but how can I do so?

    I would of liked going forward to keep my version numbers for internal test builds the same as live numbers. Is there a way I could essentially delete all my old test build versions so I can start from 0 again?

    submitted by /u/tlaatonmai
    [link] [comments]

    EC420 - Powerful Entity-Component Framework in 420 lines of c++

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 05:26 AM PST

    Any other protected markets/regulations like in China?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 11:03 AM PST

    I'd like to make my game available around the world, and I know China has special restrictions in place for publishing games on their mobile platforms. Does anywhere else require any of the same things China does, like needing a registered company in China, needing a Chinese partner, needing to host any user data on Chinese servers, etc?

    Are there other issues with making a mobile game accessible around the world aside from localizing it with translations? I mean how many different app platforms/stores are out there to publish the game on?

    submitted by /u/OhDearGod666
    [link] [comments]

    Loading relations between entities ( Chunks/Tiles ) ?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 06:30 AM PST

    Background

    I am using an entity component system for a small hobby mmo and i want to persist my game world in an sql database. Each entity is serializable and looks kinda like this...

    Entity{ components:[ {class:"Identity", id:"192939"}, {class:"Player", name:"Warlord129", password"..."}, {class:"Velocity", x:"10", y:"10", z:"10"}, {class:"PhysicalDamage", value:"100.0f"} ] } Entity{ components:[ {class:"Identity", id:"2312333"}, {class:"Chunk", x:"10", y:"10", inChunk:[{id:"192939"},{...}]}, ] } 

    This is actually a problem... because as you can see, my chunk entity references the player entity as a "inChunk" relation. That basically means that the player is currently inside that chunk.

    If i load in my chunk, i also need to load in my player and all other entities located in that chunk. And now imagine that one of those loaded entities have references to other entities again. Like the loaded player owns a inventory that has references to other item-entities. And those item entities have references to something else again. This casues a huge relation tree which we need to load somehow.

    Question

    How do we handle such relations ? Do we simply load the whole tree once a chunk gets loaded ( Recursive till every single reference was loaded ) ? Or how do we handle something like this ?

    submitted by /u/genarTheDev
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment