• Breaking News

    Tuesday, February 9, 2021

    Browser ‘Favicons’ Can Be Used as Undeletable ‘Supercookies’ to Track You Online - Favicons can break through incognito mode, VPNs, and Pi-holes to track your movement online web developers

    Browser ‘Favicons’ Can Be Used as Undeletable ‘Supercookies’ to Track You Online - Favicons can break through incognito mode, VPNs, and Pi-holes to track your movement online web developers


    Browser ‘Favicons’ Can Be Used as Undeletable ‘Supercookies’ to Track You Online - Favicons can break through incognito mode, VPNs, and Pi-holes to track your movement online

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 01:16 PM PST

    Gaze-detection - Use machine learning in JavaScript to detect eye movements and build gaze-controlled experiences!

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 06:41 AM PST

    Dropped out of university in November 2019, here's how my job hunt went recently. Sept 2020 - Jan 2021 (Toronto)

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 09:35 PM PST

    React and it's multiple releases

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 03:59 PM PST

    This post can be viewed as a small rant but also as a question to React developers.

    Long story short, I work mainly with Vue, having worked with react for some months a couple of years ago. I'm now applying for jobs and most of them ask for React knowledge. I thought I could make the switch rather easily since the principles are the same, but today, after an online test, I no longer think it will be a smooth transition. Basically, I felt that React has change a lot in two years or so. I remember working with React 14, but now it's already at v17. What is the reason for so many versions? Yes, it's good to keep adding some features, but to me, it felt like so much had changed that some parts are barely recognizable.

     

    Is there any strong reason as to why react, being just one year older than vue, is already at v17, while vue just released v3 ?

    submitted by /u/Lyxs
    [link] [comments]

    An Interactive Guide to CSS Transitions

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 07:41 AM PST

    Your opinion on learning Python and Flask or learning PHP and the advantages and disadvantages!

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 02:15 PM PST

    Hey guys, what is your opinion on the two? My line of thinking on the two comparatively is that in Python, one could probably perform some data analysis/ basic Machine Learning and other things and make a web app with Flask thus increasing the scope of what you could do while PHP is natural to the Web, simple to set-up and could probably be easier to get going although am not too sure.

    submitted by /u/The-motto
    [link] [comments]

    I am not a web developer. I am trying to verify what I am being told by my web designer.

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 05:46 AM PST

    The website currently has 1 search bar right in the center of the page, I want it moved from the center of the page because its ruining the flow of the picture and therefore making the front page not look good.... he is telling me it cannot be moved... I was under the impression you can design the website how you want it and he says you can't... I am sure you have questions but is this not the case?

    submitted by /u/JessielivermoreIII
    [link] [comments]

    Best approach for responsive design

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 01:50 PM PST

    I've written a website mostly using vw for font sizes and heights. It looks how I intended on larger screens.

    However, I'm finding I need to write a lot of media queries for screens smaller than say 600.

    Is this the normal approach, or is there a better practice?

    submitted by /u/ApocalypseSpokesman
    [link] [comments]

    The Surprising Things That CSS Can Animate

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 06:46 AM PST

    Alternatives to Shopify and Sharetribe

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 11:54 AM PST

    What do you think about ready e-commerce and marketplace platforms? Sharetribe and Shopify are among the most popular ones, so I decided to compare their backend and costs (here statistics on Shopify and here research on Sharetribe backend).

    So far, I'm not impressed with customization. Are there any other tools worth looking at? (aside from Magento and WooCommerce, I'm working on researching those right now)

    submitted by /u/veravash
    [link] [comments]

    How can one get started with WASM (WebAssembly)?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 04:19 AM PST

    So I am a full-stack dev in MERN stack and I love the concept of WebAssembly. I have already programmed in C/C++ and used a bit of Assembly. Can anyone tell me still from a beginner's point of view how can I get started with WASM and learn more about it. Also, do you recommend RUST or should I go with C/C++?!

    submitted by /u/FrostZTech
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to figure out PHPmail for a contact form am I doing anything right?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 12:19 PM PST

    So after spending the day yesterday trying to get my form to work using PHP mail() function I was told by namecheap support that it is disabled. It's the first example they give with no indication that it's disabled. I think I lost 10 years worth of hair growth.

    https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/10038/31/how-to-configure-a-contact-form-with-us/#mailfunction

    So they told me I need to use SMTP auth using PHPmail after an hour with them.

    https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/10038/31/how-to-configure-a-contact-form-with-us/#smtp

    I'm not using composer because I don't know where to even start to get it working. Just another layer of confusion for me getting it to work on namecheap.

    So here on that last page I linked it says:

    If you are not using composer - load the PHPmailer class files directly:

    use PHPMailer\PHPMailer\PHPMailer;

    use PHPMailer\PHPMailer\SMTP;

    use PHPMailer\PHPMailer\Exception;

    require '/home/nctests/public_html/PHPMailer-master/src/Exception.php';

    require '/home/nctests/public_html/PHPMailer-master/src/PHPMailer.php';

    require '/home/nctests/public_html/PHPMailer-master/src/SMTP.php';

    I have my PHPmailer directory in the root of mywebsite.

    I saved a file called mail.php in the root of my website. Am I calling this right in my php file?

    <?php use PHPMailer\PHPMailer; use PHPMailer\SMTP; use PHPMailer\Exception; require '/PHPMailer/src/Exception.php'; require '/PHPMailer/src/PHPMailer.php'; require '/PHPMailer/src/SMTP.php'; $email = new PHPMailer(TRUE); /* ... */ ?> 

    I'm also trying to work through this because namecheeps setup is vague to me:

    https://alexwebdevelop.com/phpmailer-tutorial/

    Installing PHPMailer without Composer

    Am I doing any of this right? Anything I find online for namecheap is missing steps or the options they explain have been changed or are outdated. Is it really this hard just to get a god damn simple web form sent to my email if a client wants to know more about my business? I'm seriously loosing my mind over all of this. It's overwhelming.

    submitted by /u/LuckyCharms2000
    [link] [comments]

    N.Y.’s Vaccine Websites Weren’t Working. He Built a New One for $50. New Yorkers with tech skills were appalled when they tried to make vaccine appointments for older relatives.

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 04:59 PM PST

    Please help, what's the easiest way to create a beta access sign up page?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 12:30 PM PST

    Hi guys!

    So I'm quite new to web dev as a whole but I've been learning front end development.

    I've now been tasked with creating a page where the user can enter their email + name and then be contacted in the future about beta access to this product.

    I have made the front end in Vue, I just need to create a backend to fulfill this task, but I'm completely lost at how to do this.

    They also say they need the users data to be sent to a CRM, which again, I have no idea which one to use and how to use it as of yet.

    Has anybody made this before? what hosting platform would you use? I tried to figure it out by myself and use Firebase however I've failed, I don't understand a lot of what's going on in their documentation.

    Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/Squishyboots1996
    [link] [comments]

    I cannot seem to get grid to cooperate

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 03:40 PM PST

    Here's what I am working off of: https://www.w3schools.com/css/tryit.asp?filename=trycss_grid_layout_named

    I'd like to have a grid, but I do not want content to push the content all over the page (left to right).

    I've tried setting max width, word wrap, word break, and I cannot seem to get it working.

    I'd like to be able to set the grid columns to a fixed width and have the text break with words intact and not busting through the box.

    submitted by /u/anonoman925
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone else finds themselves writing a lot of css?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 02:52 AM PST

    I just completed a medium sized saas homepage for a client for desktop/tablet mode. The whole css file has about 1000 lines of code. Today I'm working on the mobile version and two hours in and I'm at 200 lines more, and I feel like things will double very quick.

    I prefer to not use a framework because customization is inevitable and thus things become a tangled mess. But maybe tailwind is fine, I'm not sure.

    I've been told that I write a lot more css compared to my colleagues. What has worked for you if you've found yourself in this position?

    submitted by /u/npmbad
    [link] [comments]

    Advice needed - Any freelancers with experience of drawing up a contract with an international client?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 06:00 AM PST

    Basically, I've made a proposal to a prospective client that operates in Africa and is headquartered in France (I'm UK-based) -- they're happy with it and with the cost breakdown and payment schedule I outlined. I'd like to have a contract sorted out before we kick off the project -- because I've been burned before -- but I'm not really sure how to go about drawing one up for an international client. Anyone have any tips?

    submitted by /u/thejambag
    [link] [comments]

    Help with react test - using Mock Service Worker

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 02:38 PM PST

    I've been trying for about 2 days to figure out how to implement a test and make it work. No luck so far, maybe you can help.

    The code inside the react component:

    export const Bestsellers = (props) => { const [bestsellers, setBestsellers] = useState([]); const productsList = () => { fetch(props.productsListUrl) .then(res => res.json()) .then(jsonRes => setBestsellers(jsonRes)); } useEffect(() => { productsList(); }, []) return(... 

    The code in the test:

    test('renders products correctly', async () => { render(<Bestsellers productsListUrl="/products"/>); expect(await screen.findByText("The Utah")).toBeInTheDocument(); screen.debug(); }); 

    The mock/render is with Mock Service Worker(node setup) as advised by the React testing library.

    The products are returned and displayed correctly in the test, the screen.debug() shows them rendered correctly and the "The Utah" is in there, inside an <h2> tag like it's supposed to be.

    Also the products display correctly in the browser, with live data from the server.

    The problem is that the test itself keeps failing with this error:

     SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0 at parse (<anonymous>) 

    Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/Senzatie3579
    [link] [comments]

    Buying a Domain from a private owner that is registered on GoDaddy

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 02:36 PM PST

    Hi All,

    I'm looking to make a website and the .com domain is taken. It was originally registered by the owner in 1999, and since at some point, must have gotten registered to GoDaddy. I checked on WhoIs and I can only find the name of the original company and location but not contact info, and GoDaddy want to charge $100 just to talk to the owner, not to mention that everything I've read so far has advised to stay away from GoDaddy. I also already bought the .org version, but .com would just be so much better.

    I am totally lost on the process and I was hoping someone might be able to give me some guidance... for example should I find a broker who can help me, or can I do it myself? The website is for a non-profit organisation, would it be possible to negotiate at a lower price, or is it silly to even consider that possibility? If it were possible to actually reach an agreement, how would payment and/or transfer work?

    So many questions...!

    Thank you very much in advance.

    submitted by /u/hungrygal96
    [link] [comments]

    Back-End: how to communicate between python models (keras/tf/or any) and node js

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 02:34 PM PST

    Here is my problem: i have a deep learning model and i want to develop a full fledged API for it and i want to do this using Node js, however i don't know how to bridge in between the two, how can i run predictions using the model on the Node js API? what i am specifically looking for is a standard ways of doing this, how do companies usually bridge between the two? Appreciate any help

    submitted by /u/mu2min2000
    [link] [comments]

    How to ask for a raise after a year

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 07:02 AM PST

    Hello there,

    Almost 3 years ago I started coding and in 1 month It'll be a year since I got hired as a web developer for my company.

    I got brought on at the very beginning of lockdown to work on a 400+ website codebase. As the pandemic went on the company restructured and laid off a ton of people. The web dev team was slashed in half, from 7 to 3.

    Today I'm one of the 3 devs left. The company is doing pretty well, generating around 10 mil a year. I feel comfortable and definitely worth my salt but I'm not making enough money! Lol

    How should I go about asking for a raise? I'm prepping to bring it up to my manager. I'd honestly be happy with a 600 to a 1000 monthly increase. Is that too much to ask in one go?

    submitted by /u/DeltaFireBlues
    [link] [comments]

    Burnout

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 02:19 PM PST

    First off, I am starting this post by saying this...I am tremendously lucky to have this issue. I am so thankful to be in this position. But I worked hard to get here. I taught my self coding and landed a job (with a little luck) at a successful startup that was recently acquired. I know many people on here would kill to have this situation. So I am attempting to show some real gratitude for my privileged position but also acknowledge that I did do the work. This is a first world problem, and I am lucky to have it.

    I am burnt out I think. 4+ years at this startup along with covid and I am just so tired of my job. I have committed to the idea of transitioning to product management with a big sabbatical in between. My plan is to move laterally within my company, get a year of experience and leave. I just feel that software engineering is not for me lately, or in the least, I want to try something new.

    However, I do wonder if I will get burnt out no matter what career: PM or otherwise. Tech is hard. I was emailed by a recruiter today from a company that actually has an awesome mission that would really align with what I care about, and I am going to speak with them (going against the above idea that software engineering may not be for me). My hope is that what I am experiencing is just burnout from my current company. So possibly a fresh start, new codebase, and a long long long break in between jobs would be all that I need.

    In either case, PM transition, or new company as a software engineer transition...I need a break.

    What are people's experiences with burnout? Did a long break help? Did you just leave your company? Any help would be great. Thanks much :)

    P.S. I work primarily in React and Node.js

    submitted by /u/bodhibell02
    [link] [comments]

    How I Improved the SEO of My Website With GatsbyJS and AWS

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 01:56 PM PST

    Can anyone figure out why my site is slow?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 10:03 AM PST

    This page loads very slowly;

    https://hansramzan.com/portfolio/bone.php

    Does anyone know why?

    (Hosted on hostinger, coded manually in sublime text, uses cloudflare, images are 'save for web' to keep filesize small)

    submitted by /u/storm4077
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment