• Breaking News

    Sunday, February 7, 2021

    Are there any programming interfaces not driven with a utilitarian design philosophy? Ask Programming

    Are there any programming interfaces not driven with a utilitarian design philosophy? Ask Programming


    Are there any programming interfaces not driven with a utilitarian design philosophy?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 01:00 PM PST

    Opus Magnum is a game that could be essentially described as a programming game; you give instructions to robot arms to construct alchemical elements.

    One of it's strongest factors is how satisfying the interface feels to use. It's got an opulent aesthetic that paired with the clockwork sound effects create some of the most satisfying menus I've had the pleasure of using.

    My question is this: are there any non-game programming interfaces that focusing on feeling just as satisfying? Most programming interfaces I've seen go for a more utilitarian design, the visuals are as basic as can be and sound is non existent.

    Opus Magnum feels so much easier to just jump into and lose time in than any standard programming environment which makes me believe there's an unexplored niche. I can't help but imagine working on a long project would be so much less draining with a more enriching interface.

    I understand that in most cases this would be a performance drain therefor not practical to most people, but as someone with a relatively strong PC working on less intensive indie games I think I could sink the cost.

    submitted by /u/b_random9
    [link] [comments]

    Attempting to build sdr receiving software

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 09:58 PM PST

    Hello, I'm working on building some software for the software defined radio community. I have some questions and need some help and guidance. I know several languages including c++, which some of the drivers for this are written in, but I just need general guidance on interacting with drivers. I'm trying to ultimately display data in an html and css front end because of the ui design power it offers. Any help appreciated. I'll answer any questions as quickly as possible

    submitted by /u/Jakobor3
    [link] [comments]

    Do you recommend any good resources on time and costs estimates?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 03:27 PM PST

    ...for software development?

    I guess most people learn this just by doing but I want to get better at estimating how much time something will take and how much should I charge for every item or even for every hour I spend if that's what it is usually done.

    (I'm not a freelancer and didn't make too much work on my own but I want to be prepared)

    submitted by /u/supersaiyan880
    [link] [comments]

    Issues with editing an EXE

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 08:28 PM PST

    I'm trying to edit an .EXE I downloaded bc it has some flaws in it. I cannot for the life of me figure out why I cannot open it with notepad ++ or visual studio, and edit it. I know the EXE was written using C++, and encoded with UTF-8. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/chitheadnmuf
    [link] [comments]

    TTS service voice samples

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 10:56 AM PST

    Last night, I found this repository on Github and I found out that it does belong to a YouTube video. I watched the video and the person in the video simply said it needs months of audio editing. Which is correct, but the problem for me is not the time or even the person(s) who have good enough voice to participate in the project.

    I saw that most of people imitating this way to create their TTS system used Carnegie Mellon dataset as an input. My problem is the voice samples. What I exactly need? Is there any project that has a pretty complete set of voices?

    submitted by /u/Haghiri75
    [link] [comments]

    Tools for drawings/sketching on paper as a programmer

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 01:20 PM PST

    As a programmer I draw a lot of data structures / diagrams. Sometimes even UI to just give someone an idea. Mostly I use draw.io but I like the old pen and paper. Helps me be more creative.

    I would appreciate if some of you guys have recommendations on what set of pens (preferably some colors) and paper is recommended. Currently I use a Moleskine dotted notebook 13x21cm with a 0.7 mm bal pen (liquid gel) just to take text/meeting notes because of the size of the notebook :)

    Basically asking what your sketchtaking stack is 😛

    submitted by /u/BukHunt
    [link] [comments]

    Programs on windows

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 01:08 PM PST

    Are there any free apps or programs on windows that I can use to program? Like, so I can test things out and play with things and stuff?

    submitted by /u/FlutterCordLove
    [link] [comments]

    How can I practice "researching bugs"?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 12:44 PM PST

    About five months ago I got my first job as a programmer and truth be told, I'm very much feeling like an imposter. I got laid off last July, studied hard and brushed up on the two classes I took in college and landed a job as a "support developer"

    The bulk of my job is monitoring emails for exceptions that come in, generated by our system, and then researching how they happened and if possible, recreating them.

    The problem is that I'm incredibly slow and feeling like I do a dogshit job at this. I know a lot of this comes from a general unfamiliarity with this massive codebase, but still...practice is going to be essential.

    Are there any resources that could help me in this sort of practice to better do my job? Specifically, C# but I'm not quite so worried about the language so much as I am learning how to traverse stack traces more effectively, learning what common problem spots to look for, etc.

    submitted by /u/DvineINFEKT
    [link] [comments]

    Is Epoch-CRDT a working model?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 07:09 AM PST

    Not so long ago I've encountered Epoch-CRDT, a new non-blockchain DLT that claims to solve many problems that blockchain can't. I've tried asking in various places but nobody seems to understand how it works and whether it is working model or not. Really interested if you guys know anything about it.

    The link to the original post on Epoch-CRDT that I've encountered:

    https://blog.humanode.io/epoch-crdt/

    submitted by /u/decentralizedcitizen
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any Git "tips and tricks" in regards to writing the code itself (eg. spreading it out across multiple files, more/less verbose syntax, usage of macros, etc.)?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 01:06 PM PST

    Query on which stack to choose

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 09:11 AM PST

    Hi all !! I had some questions pertaining to app development. Listing them below:-

    1) First some background about me:- EEE engineering student in 3 yr with programming knowledge of PLC, c/c++, basic python and front end web development, Arduino, Linux os, etc.

    2) I need to make a mobile app primarily for the android device (if it can support IOS, afaik cross-development even better) whose primary purpose is to display data from an MYSQL database in real-time.

    Some info about the data:- Essentially data is coming from various embedded systems and getting stored on a local system. Need the app to display the data in real-time, there are multiple categories of data for eg temp, humidity which is further divided into area 1,2, etc.

    3) MAIN QUESTION:: can you all recommend a tech stack to learn and deploy the app on which is ideal for this kind of project, the reason for the stack as well, please keep in mind have I no previous experience in app development. What will I need to do in order to make this app please guide me :)

    4) Any learning resources and development plan for the same is highly appreciated.

    Any other sub I should cross-post this in?

    Feel free to PM me or comment.

    Thanks in advance!!

    Stay Safe

    submitted by /u/Edward4ac
    [link] [comments]

    Passing data between Python and a webpage?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 07:25 AM PST

    I am working on a simple weekend project using a Raspberry Pi and a small PLC. I am using a Python library to read/write data on the PLC via Modbus RTU (with a USB/RS-485 converter). I can write up a basic Python GUI to display and control the read/write data, but I'd rather have something more universal. I have a webserver already setup on the Pi, so it would be nice to be able to this via a webpage that the Pi can serve up to whatever device connects to it.

    What is the best way to exchange data between Python and a webpage? Would an API using HTTP requests with jquerry on the webpage be the best option?

    submitted by /u/Angry_Robots
    [link] [comments]

    Dealing with strings in a big java application

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 03:41 AM PST

    So I might be outing myself as a huge newb by asking this question and I'm sure anybody who has ever worked professionally as a programmer is probably going to roll their eyes back into their skulls by reading this but I'd rather look like an idiot now than when I actually start my internship in a couple of months.

    I have a tremendous amount of strings that are essentially the same exact thing throughout my entire application.

    As of right now the way I'm thinking of dealing with this is by having a packet full of classes with all of my strings and referring to them using getters in order to display the messages. This would mean I would just have to write out the string once and not have to modify or rewrite it in a million places. Just a quick little example:

    import messages.ErrorMessages; public class SomeInterface { // Some code here... label1.setText("ErrorMessages.get_com_error_msg()); } public class ErrorMessages { // A lot of other variables here... private get_com_error_msg = "There was a problem connecting with the database"; public String get_com_error_msg(){ return get_com_error_msg; } } 

    I don´t know if this is the most elegant, clean or efficient solution and I'm striving to make an application that won't require a ton of work for someone else to pick up and improve upon. Is this the way strings should be stored within my app? Is there even a convention for Java programmers as to how this should be dealt with?

    submitted by /u/AlexMelillo
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any risks, if I open port 80 for a express or flask server on my personal machine

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 09:32 AM PST

    I would like to run a very simple webserver with flask (python) or express (nodejs) on my local machine. For this I need to open port 80. Are there any risks involved in opening a port, if the application is only a blog like app?

    Edit: I have no access to my router, since it is managed by the apartment. So I am using ngrok

    submitted by /u/KonArtist01
    [link] [comments]

    Postgrad Student should I invest into a Macbook?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 08:51 AM PST

    Im debating buying a Macbook for programming and to learn the MAC OS as I haven't really used it.

    As Im half way through my postgraduate degree to finish my studies im thinking a Macbook maybe a good decision to invest in, I noticed a lot of people using a mac for programming so I'm thinking is it worth buying one?

    I have a gigabyte areo 14 with 1060 as I like to game while im at university with windows 10. Do you think its worth buying a mac ? maybe a used one from 2015/2016 to get familiar to the operating system?

    When I graduate I'm not 100% sure what I want to focus in yet, im hoping to go towards blockchain technology / fintech .

    program languages I'm currently using:

    -python,c++,js,react, solidity

    -I expect to do some machine learning stuff in this second semester but we are using the cloud for that.

    What do you all think , is it worth getting a Mac?

    submitted by /u/Dannyf97
    [link] [comments]

    Why do companies specifically say they look for people with experience with Maven?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 04:41 AM PST

    It's not hard at all, all you do is add dependencies to a POM.XML and build with dependencies, it just seems too easy to learn to be a requirment. Or do I not know the full complexity of how maven works?

    submitted by /u/greywolf_18
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment