• Breaking News

    Friday, January 1, 2021

    There's something very disingenuous about some of the things being said about bootcamps here learn programming

    There's something very disingenuous about some of the things being said about bootcamps here learn programming


    There's something very disingenuous about some of the things being said about bootcamps here

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 06:23 AM PST

    I've been browsing this sub for about a day now and I've noticed something very disingenuous about some of the commenters and posts here regarding bootcamps. Occassionally, I see posts coming by of people saying that you'll easily (or have at least a good chance to) get into FAANG if you do a bootcamp. I also see people commenting how they 'beat' CS grads at FAANG interviews or are outperforming them at FAANG.

    This has bothered me for some reason in the last five or so minutes when thinking about it. There are a lot of new people in this field reading here and maybe making big life choices based off what's being said. If they read all of these stories of how people get into FAANG (or other big tech companies) after doing bootcamps and decide based off of that to go attend a bootcamp, I find that very disingenuous.

    I'm currently doing my second internship at a FAANG company (previous year did another one at another FAANG). During my current and previous internship, I've got to meet a lot of collegeaus and particularly during this internship, have spoken a lot with some recruiters. Boiled down to, the truth of the matter is that it's nearly impossible to get into FAANG (or other big tech companies for that matter) with just a bootcamp. Literally none of the dozens of people I have spoken here have done a bootcamp, they all have BScs, MScs and PhDs, not necessarily in CS, but also for example math, physics and AI. I asked one recruiter over here if they invite bootcamp grads for junior SWE roles and the answer was a flat-out no, especially since they're sponsoring visas. Imagine this: you have a job for a SWE role. It gets hundreds, if not thousands of applications. Some of these applications: CS grads from Harvard, CS + Math grads from Stanford, students who graduated from IITs (super elite Indian colleges), graduates who worked a year or two at high-frequency trading firms as SWEs, the students from less-known colleges in the US but who've done internships. There's no chance on earth that someone with a bootcamp will have any preference over these people. Even for more experienced roles, it's very hard if you don't have a formal education. If you just for example take a look at FBs career page and look at most SWE roles, junior or experienced, they state that the minimum or preferred qualifications is a BS in CS (or math, physics).

    I just find it very misleading that so many people are claiming that they easily got into FAANG after doing a bootcamp or know a lot of people who've done so, when it's very unlikely. At my previous intership, I also don't remember a single person who has done a bootcamp (at least not in my team).

    If you already have a degree in STEM, like physics or math and do a bootcamp, then yes, I can definitely see you have a chance of getting into FAANG, otherwise it's just really unlikely.

    submitted by /u/LostLoss1
    [link] [comments]

    The importance of not giving up

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 08:40 PM PST

    I want to talk about the importance of not giving. I have seen on some other programming subreddits and this subreddit that some people say "I am giving up","I have been stuck in tutorial hell and accomplished nothing, I am giving up". A lot of people can agree that programming isn't easy and no one can remember everything that's why there is subreddits for programming to ask questions and stack overflow, google etc. I don't think everyone is exactly used to the freedom that programming offers some people have this mindset of "what udemy courses should I take to get good at programming?" If it was that easy we would all be programmers there is no one book or course to "get good". It's really difficult to know EVERYTHING about one programming language, you must always be learning to become a better programmer, and sometimes the concepts in programming just don't stick and then you sit down and code something and you might come to the realization "I know nothing", after all this learning...

    For some they may give up, but you truly do have something to gain by not quitting when things get tough and nothing makes sense. If you think about it failure is worse then giving. With failure you realize what you did wrong and you go at it again. Giving up is way worse wasting all that time for nothing just to quit and pursue something else you might not like and give up also. Humans sort of develop patterns or routines in their life, but soon the reaction to just quit and throw your hands in the air and say "I quit this is too difficult", this will start happening faster and faster in other aspects of your life with simpler and simpler things. Maybe your cooking and you keep on burning the food and so you give up and just order fast food for the rest of the week. Maybe your school work gets too hard and you give up that too. Maybe your reading a book and you can't understand whats going on so you quit reading it.

    If you give up in everything you do your not going to have a very successful and interesting life when you can't accomplish anything. No one ever did anything great or amazing by throwing their hands up in the air and saying "I give up this is too difficult". Giving up gets you nowhere, failure gets you closer to your goals.

    So don't just give up when things get tough and nothing makes sense, power through. This will not only make you better at programming, but anything you do as well, good luck.

    I hope the writing made sense.

    submitted by /u/kek934
    [link] [comments]

    Wasted 2 years stuck in tutorial hell

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 10:11 AM PST

    After doing loads of Udemy courses for 2 years, I've recently began applying for frontend dev jobs. Some of them gave me test projects, and I realized that currently I suck at coding. I get completely confused, ask about almost everything at Stack Overflow or Reddit, and after trying for days I usually get lost at and can't complete the project at the given period. Now I'll decide whether I'll continue chasing this dream or quit for good.

    So my advice for beginners is, don't get stuck at tutorial hell, begin developing your own projects after you have some basic knowledge. Actually I knew this as many others have advised the same thing, but I never felt ready so I took one course after another. I felt like I was learning while doing the courses, but I realize I didn't learn anything properly actually, I was just coding along with some teachers. Don't be like me...

    submitted by /u/gezginrocker
    [link] [comments]

    If you're looking for a project, making Chrome Extensions is really fun

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 04:00 PM PST

    One of the main reasons I learned Javascript was to create a Chrome Extension to help remove connections on LinkedIn. Being able to directly enhance or fix problems with websites using Extensions is really rewarding.

    submitted by /u/brendanmartin
    [link] [comments]

    How do you know if you’re writing bad code?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 07:27 PM PST

    Is it just something that comes with time, or does someone generally point out why it's bad? As someone who has taught themselves web development by reading tutorials and googling, I'm worried that I might be developing bad habits from unreliable sources. However, I wouldn't know doing something a specific way was wrong or inefficient until I stumbled on another post explaining why it's wrong or finding a bug later in my code. How do I know if the practices and examples I'm following along to is sound programming?

    submitted by /u/boxyboxers23
    [link] [comments]

    I've finally finished a project on time, and it's really amazing how much I've learned.

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 11:13 PM PST

    Demonstration: https://youtu.be/kP9gNWAus_4

    I used mongodb, flask and the YouTube API, all things that I wanted to learn. I feel like doing this project and struggling along the way helped me a lot and really strengthened my abilities, especially with the youtube api.

    Happy New Years!

    submitted by /u/Hypercoded
    [link] [comments]

    Learning python

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 07:32 AM PST

    I'm currently learning python at a beginner level. I'm just posting this thread to be motivated and also motivate others to learn more about coding. --and it is really fun. While learning I always applied what I learn and imagine it to be a building block of the program/app that I am planning to create ; kind of like a puzzle piece in a jigsaw puzzle, recognizing every piece of learning and how it will be applied to the whole picture that is in my mind until it is complete.

    To all fellow coders. Nice to be here and to be in this community.

    Always be free to communicate about anything. Anything at all, I promise to be a buddy-in-ready to help you motivate and also be motivated myself.

    Goodluck Havefun!!

    submitted by /u/Dindowitz
    [link] [comments]

    Is this idea of mine possible?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 02:39 AM PST

    Just some backstory here: I'm a high school junior who wants to compete in my school's science fair with this really (to me, at least) interesting idea that's popped into my head involving using Benford's Law to search for twitter bots in either tweet comment sections or hashtags in accordance with follower counts. The only real coding experience I have is from some pretty rudimentary stuff I've done with an Arduino from my school (that I didn't technically steal, the teacher just moved away during quarantine) and some python robotics stuff and coding-games that I haven't played with in half a year. I'm looking for a way to pull a list of, let's say the usernames of the 500 people who most recently used a certain hashtag and then transfer that information onto an excel sheet. From my research I've been able to find out what I need to do from there to get the info I need but it's that first step that's giving me trouble. I have absolutely no idea where to start here, I was wondering if anyone would know what language I should use and if there's any resources available from people who have attempted similar things before. I really just wanna know if this is realistic and where to even start. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

    submitted by /u/LydiaIGuesso
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for coding buddies to learn algorithms and do Leetcode with(LC in a month or two). Python. I just finished a Data Structures course.

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 10:52 PM PST

    Starting the online Stanford Python Algo course today so feel free to join me for that too.

    I am hoping these individuals have data structures knowledge already and are just starting algos. I would love to eventually do LeetCode questions too(in a month or two).

    We can discuss more on Discord. hmu!

    submitted by /u/algobuddy
    [link] [comments]

    Not sure how to solve this problem. Old keyboard, would like to make a driver.

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 08:17 PM PST

    I've got an ancient keyboard that I love. Its the one I got with my first computer and I really like the feedback it gives. Its a IBM Rapid Access keyboard, and I'd like it if the multimedia keys worked.

    I have basic C++ familiarity from high school and college but zero windows experience. I still have the aptitude to do this, but none of the prerequisite experience and knowledge.

    I found documentation on the commands that go back and forth between the keyboard and computer: https://imgur.com/a/XTwcoZw

    My questions:

    Is writing a windows driver something a guy could figure out to do over the course of a few weeks if he put his mind to it?

    Would it be better to put a job on some outsourcing gig website and have someone do this for a fee?

    Is there some other way to deal with this that I'm missing?

    Thanks guys.

    submitted by /u/dry_dock_it
    [link] [comments]

    I am really desperate... I spent new years trying to fix this, just let me sleep

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 05:34 PM PST

    So, today we listenend to music while playing some Dark Souls. We played the music with VLC,the songs are on my external drive and i told VLC to play random songs from the whole directory where all the songs are (Music --> Artists as Subdirectories --> Albums as Subdirectories --> Songs in the Album-Directories, f.e.: 'Music/Accept/The Rise Of Chaos/04 Koolaid.wav').

    VLC seemed to only chose 3 different Album Directories and only played songs from those 3, no matter how many times we restarted VLC, different 3 Directories everytime, but everytime only 3.

    That's when i decided to just write my own random music player, in python, since it is the language i know best.

    Now to the point:

    I am using playsound as this seemed very easy to use. The player itself is working, reading the paths of all songs, choosing a random one, after one song played out, it goes to the next random song and plays it.

    The only thing that won't work is going to the next song mid-song.playsound has no stop function or anything, so i just wanted to restart the program.

    Since playsound(path) is freezing the program, i found it to be a good solution to stop mid-song using Exceptions:

    try:playsound(path)except KeyBoardInterrupt:choice = input( "Type 'n' for next Song or anything else to stop the player\n...> ")

    proved itself to be a nice solution. If I now type anything else than 'n', the program ends (due to a following 'quit()' when choice != 'n') and i can restart it and the program starts with no problem and runs the same way. Now with the input 'n' i wanted to restart it automatically in the same shell (because i use the new windows terminal where i did a cool thing with the new options, everytime a song plays the background of the terminal becomes the album cover of the current song, it looks really nice).

    After some research i tapped into that:os.execv(sys.executable, ['python']+ sys.argv)

    This seems to work, since the program restarts, the new album cover is set as background and the new song plays. Everything seems to be like if you just would have started the program manually. But then if I want to call the choice = input()..... through KeyBoardInterrupt (CTRL + C), i immediately get to the normal powershell prompt and the song plays on and the background isnt resettet.

    This seems very odd to me, since technically the program should restart automatically as it would manually, but in some way the KeyBoardInterrupt works different if i let the program restart automatically.

    I have a video to show the behavior and code if there's interest, can't seem to upload it here but i can PM it.

    If anyone knows where exactly the annormality begins or even has a guess, please share it, I would be grateful!

    Greetings \[T]/

    Edit: here's a private YouTube link to see what exactly isn't working:
    https://youtu.be/7CrgZrpxKx8

    submitted by /u/666y4nn1ck
    [link] [comments]

    For recursion, is it bad to always use a helper function? (For interviews)

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 06:15 PM PST

    I'm doing a bunch of recursion practice problems and I find that I'm always using a helper function (ie I have a regular function and then a recursive helper function inside it). I find this a lot easier to code since the answer I'm building doesn't get wiped or reset each time the recursive function runs.

    My only concern is, have you ever have an interviewer tell you this is not allowed? Because it's not "true recursion" or considered cheating? If not, I'll just continue using it. I know there're more elegant ways that don't use a helper, but honestly it makes my brain hurt.

    submitted by /u/eatacookie111
    [link] [comments]

    I wanna start doing projects to better my coding skills in python, but where and how do I start?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 07:20 PM PST

    Hello, I'm learning how to code in python. Iv been reading books at the beginners level and finding it enjoyable to learn how it's done. To be honest, I didn't think I would even grasp the first few chapters at all but, while doing some of the codings in the book I'm finding that I actually like coding a little.

    So I've been watching some tutorials to better my understandings of python along with other programs like JS and Java. I'll stick to python. I have been reading posts and watching videos on how others would say "you should be working on a project as you go'. Now they say this but.....

    How or where do you even start?

    What projects can be done in coding?

    What projects a beginner like me can and should do?

    I want a step in the right direction on how I can really improve myself but I just don't know where too even start. I really do want to make this into something I can do as a career. To better myself in something I mite actually can and want to do. So, even if I can get a little help, just a little help, I appreciated it very much.

    Sorry if these are dumb questions to ask too but this is how I kinda feel.

    submitted by /u/Somina100
    [link] [comments]

    [MYSQL][PHP] Mysql query using SELECT WHERE only works with certain table columns

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 10:57 PM PST

    Hey! I'm currently running a MYSQL query to select the table "users" where a column equals my $_REQUEST to populate textboxes on the webpage. This code works perfectly if I'm using "steamid64", "id", or "steamname" as my WHERE clause. Problem I'm having is if I try to use "SELECT * FROM users WHERE username=$un"; (AKA: using the username as the search) it doesn't populate any results.

    Here's my code

    $un=$_REQUEST['un']; $username2 = $_SESSION['username']; if(isset($_GET['un'])) { global $con; $query = "SELECT * FROM users WHERE username=$un"; $result = mysqli_query($con,$query); if ($result->num_rows > 0) { while($row = $result->fetch_assoc()) { $id = $row['ID']; $stat = $row['status']; $firstname = $row['FirstName']; $lastname = $row['LastName']; $username = $row['UserName']; $email = $row['Email']; $steamname = $row['steamname']; $steamid = $row['SteamID64']; $rules = $row['rules']; $about = $row['about']; $appnotes = $row['appnotes']; } }else{ } } else { } 
    submitted by /u/kielly32
    [link] [comments]

    What do people mean when Python is a really slow language?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 05:26 PM PST

    What are the positives of Python programming language? Why is it used by top companies for web development?

    submitted by /u/Human12890
    [link] [comments]

    a sub for C programming?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 07:27 PM PST

    does anyone know a sub for C? im trying to learn it and want a subreddit as a resource

    submitted by /u/lolDeamZ
    [link] [comments]

    Can’t remember anything.

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 01:44 PM PST

    I've been doing the challenges on free code camp and progressing through them. But whenever I am prompted to use a function I have learned in a previous challenge I can rarely remember even the simplest functions or their syntax. Is this just one of those keep at it and it will come things or do I need to come at it differently?

    submitted by /u/apmiranda
    [link] [comments]

    Can I use python to write a chrome extension?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 11:39 PM PST

    to change a website's layout...etc

    submitted by /u/hwpcspr
    [link] [comments]

    Is it okay to install the latest patch for a program? Or do I need to install all of them in order?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 11:37 PM PST

    Howdy! Hope you're all doing wonderful ^-^

    Get ready for a SUPER noobie question. So my concern is, when install a patch for say a game, or a program, do you need to install all of the patches in order? Or is it fine to just install the latest one?

    From what I understand I believe the latest patch should include the previous fixes as well, right? Say I'm installing a buggy game and patches have been rolling out for a while, the latest being 1.73 (made up number btw), but I do have the list for all the patches from 1.01 to 1.73. Can I just install the 1.73 and call it a day?

    Again, sorry for the newbie question lmao. I haven't programmed before but I'm very interested in this kind of stuff

    submitted by /u/periodick
    [link] [comments]

    Bootcamp vs self-taught vs entry level job

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 08:37 AM PST

    I'm at a fork in the road and I'm trying to weight my options. Does anyone have experience or thoughts they would like to share with the following career paths?

    Background: BS Mechanical Engineering. I have 5 years of data engineering in manufacturing environments. I taught myself how to write SLQ and scripts in my first job and I even did a little "full stack" development creating production apps with an Oracle/Access/Excel "stack"; it was fun, but didn't pay well. My second job was coming up with data flow solutions for different factories every month. The problem is it was mostly GUI based, I got worse at coding, and everything was proprietary. I've never had a code review or worked with someone who could code.

    I see my options as the following:

    • Coding bootcamp
      • Pros
        • Kick my ass to get my coding chops back
        • Structured and industry relevant topics
        • Some have good job placement programs
      • Cons
        • Money
        • Seen as a coding bootcamp pleb
        • I'm already ahead of most bootcamps
    • Self-Taught
      • Pros
        • Cheap
        • I can learn whatever I want
        • Potential to start my own business
        • Forces me to be self-motivated
      • Cons
        • Forces me to be self-motivated
        • I could waste a lot of time learning the wrong things/ waste too much time in general
        • Am I really getting something out of this, or am I just unemployed?
    • Entry Level Job
      • Pros
        • Get paid to learn
        • By definition learn relevant things
      • Cons
        • I may get stuck on a career path I don't like
        • Options are limited to my current experience

    Thanks for reading

    submitted by /u/A_Flock_of_Boobies
    [link] [comments]

    How Do I Get Started With Building A Distributed System?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 01:11 PM PST

    I'm trying to do some self studying in preparation for my next semester, where I'll be taking a class about Distributed Systems. I've been reading the book, and going over the slides, but it appears that the class is very theory heavy with very little to no implementation knowledge. However, the implementation of specific distributed systems is the homework.

    However, while I feel like I understand the basic premise of distributed systems, and even some of the design choices, the implementation completely eludes me and is something I've never touched in all my studies. Does anyone have a handy tutorial where they build the most basic distributed system, preferably in python? Really, I'll take anything I can get my hands on, but python is just my most familiar language.

    Thank you so much for your time

    submitted by /u/gotmycarstuck
    [link] [comments]

    I finally leaped over tutorial hell during this Christmas. Here's my experience:

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 10:48 PM PST

    Hi all! Happy new year! I just spent this Christmas learning Python using a new method and I FINALLY leaped over the "tutorial hell" so I'd love to share my experience hoping to help others.

    My previous experience: For the past two years, I've tried learning coding for so many times and always stuck in tutorial hell...

    So this Christmas I decide to try again. This time, I consulted all my programmer friends first. About half of them taught themselves coding. Basically I was asking based on their experience, what is the fastest way to learning coding to "know enough" to get a job, and how to avoid stuck in tutorial hell.

    The answer is rather simple: Do not start from tutorial.

    The method they recommend is to: 1)Read documentation 2)Jump into Leetcode and start coding challenge. I was actually pretty intimidated by leetcode, so I decided to go with codewars.com instead. In my opinion the challenges there is a bit easier than Leetcode. This way you don't get discouraged when you just starting.

    So I basically spent 1 day on going over the basics (I learned Javascript way back so doesn't take me too long grasp the idea). then I jump right into the "fundamental" challenges on Codewars.

    Man, the first few challenges were really hard for me. I remember I stuck on something and it took me more than 1 hour until I finally reach out to a friend and she point me to the right way. That was the last time I stuck on one problem. After that, it usually took me no more than 30 minutes to crack a problem. I can sense that I"m slowly improving!

    During this whole process, I googled A LOT. There are some key concepts that I got familiar with by Googling it when solving different challenges until I finally remember how to do it. This really worked for me. It is a bit time consuming but really helps me to internalize.

    So after spending 2 days on Codewar challenges, I now start to do Leetcode (which is a whole new level!). My plan is to finish all the easy level problems, and learn Django in between. I'm giving myself 3-6 months to learn Python after work, see if I can really make a breakthrough this time and finally pivot to software engineering.

    Thanks for reading all this. And I hope we all achieve what we want in 2021 :DDD

    submitted by /u/madsticky
    [link] [comments]

    Preferred notetaking app

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 11:13 AM PST

    I am a self-taught programmer. I come across various tips and snippets that I think I want to note down for further reference. However, I haven't been able to find a fast and minimal notetaking app.

    What do you use for notetaking??

    submitted by /u/fasterrider81
    [link] [comments]

    Help on liquid layout

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 10:22 PM PST

    Hi! I'm a new to HTML and CSS and am trying to build my first website. Halfway through my build I realized that I was using a fixed width layout. I specified the height and width of the elements, along with their absolute positioning, in pixels. Now when ever I shrink my browser window everything overlaps and looks horrible. How can I change my code to make it that whenever I shrink my window, the elements shrink as well?

    submitted by /u/Strawberry_Gene
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with this and an explanation would be nice in Pms

    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 09:41 PM PST

    Write a program that prompts the user to enter two integers x and y. it then calculates and prints the product of all the even numbers between x and y.

    Mandatory : Must use a return statement when there is only 1 even number . if even numbers are more than 1 than must use continue & break statements.

    submitted by /u/healthgrind
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment