• Breaking News

    Saturday, January 30, 2021

    Screenshot Saturday #522 - Looking Hot

    Screenshot Saturday #522 - Looking Hot


    Screenshot Saturday #522 - Looking Hot

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 08:13 PM PST

    Share your progress since last time in a form of screenshots, animations and videos. Tell us all about your project and make us interested!

    The hashtag for Twitter is of course #screenshotsaturday.

    Note: Using url shorteners is discouraged as it may get you caught by Reddit's spam filter.


    Previous Screenshot Saturdays


    Bonus question: Do you typically save/reload frequently in order to get the optimal outcome to a gameplay segment?

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    Boardgame.io is an open source game engine for turn based games. Feel free to join the subreddit.

    Posted: 30 Jan 2021 07:30 AM PST

    I made Pokémon cards AR using Unity, brief video walkthrough on how I did it in the comments!

    Posted: 30 Jan 2021 11:26 AM PST

    I'm deciding between 2d lineart and pixelart for my current project. Thoughts?

    Posted: 30 Jan 2021 08:12 AM PST

    Game Devs, has this happened to you?

    Posted: 30 Jan 2021 12:21 AM PST

    I'm absolutely confused and irritated with my current project.

    The director of my team keeps assigning the tester to comb through my current task to fill out bug reports. I find it passive aggressive because like the schedule says, I'm literally working on it. I keep getting numerous tags so it's drowning out things I'm actually not aware of now.

    I'm absolutely swamped, overworked, and caught a cold on top of it after working mostly through the holidays and weekends this month. I don't know how to respond to her professionally so I've stayed silent so far.

    I just need to know... Is this a thing? I've been in games for a while now and have never gotten live bug reports while I'm trying to work.

    submitted by /u/click_for_sour_belts
    [link] [comments]

    Smooth Camera Movements | C++ 3D Game Tutorial Series #27

    Posted: 30 Jan 2021 02:18 AM PST

    Magic Cliffs. A Free Platform Pixel Art Assets

    Posted: 30 Jan 2021 09:59 AM PST

    I'm sharing a Pixel Art Environment Assets it includes parallax background, tileset and music track.

    You can preview it here in this video : https://youtu.be/4mMWgtZIY8Q

    or download it from here https://ansimuz.itch.io/magic-cliffs-environment

    License Creative Commons Zero v1.0

    submitted by /u/Ansimuz
    [link] [comments]

    We just released our game Everybody Wham Wham! A two hour story-driven adventure, prototype to release in 3 months. Info on our process in comments

    Posted: 30 Jan 2021 12:17 PM PST

    How-to programmatically obtain your Steam finance data

    Posted: 30 Jan 2021 10:44 AM PST

    Hey r/gamedev,

    I made a tool to scrape your Steam finance data: https://github.com/falldeaf/Steam_Finance_Data_Scraper

    Hopefully this post is OK since I'm sharing a tool to help with game dev, not marketing my game. I've been trying to organize and chart all of my marketing data for my game and one of the most important things I wanted was wishlists, but I couldn't figure out how to pull it down daily programmatically. I put in a ticket asking for help and the answer was that they don't provide an API, so you're on your own. I figured it might be easy but the mandatory Steamguard requirement made it a slightly more difficult scrape.

    I ended up getting a pretty good solution that is still relatively safe security-wise that I thought some other folks might want to use. (Make a second account for this 'bot' and make sure it *only* has access to the single 'get finance data read-only' permission). It requires a free-tier Google Cloud Function and another free-tier account with Testmail.app, but once you get it set up you can go to a URL and get a .CSV formatted output of your financial data. (wishlists, net/gross income, etc.)

    There's a lot more you could do with the script like, give alternate output types (i.e. JSON), give more control over time-period (it defaults to all-time), protect the endpoint with some sort of auth.

    Let me know what you think or if you end up using it!

    submitted by /u/falldeaf
    [link] [comments]

    Two years of testing in two minutes

    Posted: 30 Jan 2021 10:01 AM PST

    Please let me know if this constitutes a show-off post – obviously you can see the game in the video below, but I think the feature being shown may be of interest to other developers.

    Early in the development of my game Partition Sector, I created a replay system. The initial purpose of this was to allow me to reproduce and analyse rare bugs in the movement code. Each time the game is played, the level data is saved to a replay file, then as the game proceeds the controller inputs of the players are also saved. When the replay is played, the game takes the control inputs from the replay file instead of the controllers.

    Video may not be suitable for those sensitive to flashing images.

    https://reddit.com/link/l8rfk4/video/clkp2jo1eie61/player

    The video shows two years worth of replay files, although there were many that were not kept. I made an option to play through all the replay files at high speed, by only showing one frame in 120. Even at that high speed, it takes over 17 minutes to play through all the replays, so the video has been sped up eight times. When the game saves replay files, it also saves files with verification data, such as player positions. If at any point a discrepancy is detected between where the player is versus where they are supposed to be, an assert is triggered, so that I can look into the problem. I would frequently run through the replay tests after making code changes, to ensure that I hadn't inadvertently broken something.

    Another advantage of this system was that I could capture gameplay footage purely through the replay system and then record it to video at a later date. This was particularly useful as I could take my laptop, which is not powerful enough to record 1080p 60 FPS footage, to game shows and then render the replays to video weeks or months later. This also meant I could take advantage of later graphical changes, such as the replacement of placeholder sprites with final versions.

    Although the replay system was extremely useful, it was also extremely time-consuming. For every bug that the replay system helped me find and resolve, there were probably two which arose from the replay system itself. A lot of time was spent maintaining backward compatibility with old replay files. This allowed me to use old replay files as footage for the trailer, but also allowed me to practice the implementation of backward compatibility, which will be important for post-release updates. I probably could have finished the game considerably earlier if I never created the replay system – but I would have had a much harder time getting footage for the trailer.

    submitted by /u/arganoid
    [link] [comments]

    How to create your own sound effects on a budget

    Posted: 30 Jan 2021 09:46 AM PST

    Is making games for browser still possible, how have the market changed? Any stats or graphs on this? Can you still put ads on your browser games?

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 10:25 PM PST

    And what is the pay per view-ad rate now? I couldnt find data after 2017, thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/DIMDAWN_Official
    [link] [comments]

    Gradual porting existing game to Unity

    Posted: 30 Jan 2021 11:47 AM PST

    Hello,

    I have a CCG game in the works that uses a custom rules engine and web UI. I am curious if it is possible to port it to Unity piece by piece. For example, first the gameplay client, then account management and lastly the rules engine.

    Can I use Unity as a GUI only and make it communicate with rules engine via websockets, messages encoded as JSON?

    Rules engine is written in Vanilla Java. How hard would it be to port to Unity?

    submitted by /u/Pseudohuman92
    [link] [comments]

    Need recommendations on the most simple but robust Unity 2019 BT joystick asset for ios/android.

    Posted: 30 Jan 2021 11:03 AM PST

    Have an app with on screen joysticks. Need to add BT js support and want an asset that works with all of the most popular BT controllers right out of the box.

    Any recommendations appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Ebonicus
    [link] [comments]

    Need help handling parenting relationship

    Posted: 30 Jan 2021 10:31 AM PST

    Hi !
    I am creating my own scenegraph, and since I started I've always had issues with parenting relationships. My issue is that I can't decide if it's better to store a parent or children.

    With only children, a Node can have multiple parents (and be "instanced" several times), but I cannot get the world matrix of a node on its own because it doesn't know its parent (and it can have any number of parents so that concept is not relevant in that case).

    When storing parent, the node can only have one parent, which means no "instancing" or shared state...

    I would really love some resources on the subject because I've let this issue aside for quite some time but I cannot keep going without fixing this once and for all...

    submitted by /u/Tableuraz
    [link] [comments]

    Make Soda Cans in Blender. Any Reviews guys

    Posted: 30 Jan 2021 10:29 AM PST

    Rendering — Render-batching for Assimp-Models

    Posted: 30 Jan 2021 10:16 AM PST

    I wrote some basic instructions to get started with rendering assimp-models via batches: http://kimkulling.de/2020/02/20/simple-render-batching-for-static-assimp-models/

    submitted by /u/kimkulling
    [link] [comments]

    Unreal engine Flamethrower Tutorial

    Posted: 30 Jan 2021 09:54 AM PST

    How to do you find artists to help on the design side of game development?

    Posted: 30 Jan 2021 09:25 AM PST

    So I've been in web development for about 3 years and I want to make a game for fun as it's always has been a dream of mine since I was a kid. Obviously it's going to take quite a lot of learning and money which I'm okay with but I'm no artist so I always get a bit discouraged. Because I have no idea how I'd find people or even what that cost would be.

    submitted by /u/doggo_water
    [link] [comments]

    C# Programming guidance pls

    Posted: 30 Jan 2021 09:22 AM PST

    Hello I recently started learning about unity and I am aspiring to become a Indie Game Dev , I want to know where I can learn C# completely and also the functions that are included in Unity. I am well versed with programming languages such as C++ &, C. I know there are various documentation and all of unity but any guide, videos or especially book suggestions will be really welcomed. I want to learn most methods/classes that are predefined inside unity so that I can write the game scripts on my own.

    PS:- I know about Brackeys, Code Monkey etc but I want to learn more advanced c# programming etc

    submitted by /u/MeeeeemeWarsOfficial
    [link] [comments]

    2D Asset Demo - Feedback Welcome!

    Posted: 30 Jan 2021 08:44 AM PST

    Unity3D Tutorial Mirror Networking Camera Follow Local Player. Just a quick 5 min video I made to help others who might have had the same problem learning this as I did. It's a very simple thing once you know how to do it, but it was hard finding information on it. Hope it helps others.

    Posted: 30 Jan 2021 08:42 AM PST

    Hey everyone, the new topic is "Asset pipeline" and here is the first part starting with the geometry pipeline. I hope you'll find it interesting

    Posted: 30 Jan 2021 02:34 AM PST

    If you launch a game on Steam in early access, does Steam push your page forward as if it were released or does it wait until the official release date?

    Posted: 30 Jan 2021 06:39 AM PST

    Everyone seems to know that you should put your steam page online as soon as possible, but if your game is early access, do you ''buy some time'' to create wish lists until the official release or is it irrelevant as Steam considers your game a new release the second your page is up?

    submitted by /u/Bobafettinspace
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment