• Breaking News

    Thursday, January 28, 2021

    Questions for disabled programmers Ask Programming

    Questions for disabled programmers Ask Programming


    Questions for disabled programmers

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 05:55 PM PST

    I am a graduate student at the University of Florida studying computer science and my team is trying to develop accessibility tools to help the disabled in coding and learning to code.

    Our solutions are targeted at those who cannot use their arms or fingers to type due to conditions like amputation, cerebral palsy, ALS, muscular dystrophy or any other reason.

    Disabled programmers on reddit, what issues do you face? What software / hardware tools can we develop to help with the same?

    submitted by /u/Xorcist_p
    [link] [comments]

    How to write requirements for a new project?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 02:15 PM PST

    Hello!

    As a self-teaching programmer, I'm starting a new project. The last time I did a project, I got burned. The process was very painful. A lot of reworks happened ('Wait, this needs to be done differently, because it won't work!', 'Oh, I don't know how to do that, let's approach the problem from a different way!', etc.).

    In the end, I was doing this project for almost 2 month of everyday effort (COVID quarantine). When I showed the finished version to a seasoned programmer, he said 'he, that's a weekend's worth of work!'. As you can imagine, that made things pretty sour for me. I knew that next time, something must be different.

    So now, I have this book, called Code Complete 2. The start of the project is described in these 3 steps:

    1. Problem definition
    2. Requirements prerequisite
    3. Architecture prerequisite

    I have written the problem definition. Requirements is where It stopped for me. The book says itself 'this book is for code construction, and I will just tell you that requirements are important and how to check if they are written out in a good way, but I am not telling you how to do it.'

    However, there are references to resources where you can learn writing requirements, such as 'Software Requirements' by Karl E Wiegers and Joy Beatty, 'Competitive Engineering' by Tom Gilb, 'Recommended Practice for Software Requirements Specifications' by IEEE, etc.

    TL;DR Now, all of there suorces are quite big and seem to cover the matter thorougly. Honestly, I feel like I do not have time to read all of that. Do you have any advice/sources, where I could learn to define requirements for my own project well? And I am talking really steb-by-step explanation.

    Thank you all :D

    submitted by /u/Tiny_Doonger_749
    [link] [comments]

    Question for anyone that has dealt with FIFO/cost basis and can program

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 07:16 AM PST

    I wanted to confirm if my approach to calculating gains with FIFO made sense.

    So let's say you have buy/sell fills ordered by date. The date does not overlap in this case so it's easy and in ascending order eg. oldest first/newest last.

    I separated the fills into buy/sells. I then loop the sells and go against the buy array and remove buy rows as they're used by the sells... as I'm doing this I'm tallying up the gains or subtracting if lost.

    Does this make sense regarding FIFO?

    edit: here's a drawing

    I actually already wrote the first run of code for this I just wanted to make sure my approach even made sense.

    submitted by /u/post_hazanko
    [link] [comments]

    Burn out question

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 06:26 PM PST

    How do I get out of my burn out. It's been more than a year since I left coding and studying it but idk how to get myself motivated for it again. How did some of you guys do it?

    I'm new to Reddit so idk how this question will go

    submitted by /u/BlueSpirit115
    [link] [comments]

    How do I use the rectangle from graphics.py

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 09:44 PM PST

    Noob programmer here, I have a graphics.py file and I need to use the rectangle from that file in a different file and show it on a window. How do I do it?

    submitted by /u/MunificentDancer
    [link] [comments]

    What's you favorite tech for offline data in PWA's?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 03:45 PM PST

    I will have a good amount of data, from my understanding that rules out Firebase.

    I've looked at CouchDb and a few others, and none seem like a great solution.

    Curious what your preferences are. My first time building a PWA with offline first ability.

    submitted by /u/VirtualLife76
    [link] [comments]

    I do not have a clear path and I do not know what to do next...., Please help

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 09:34 PM PST

    I have been learning programming for a while but I keep switching between various topics.

    • I initially started with ATBS and gained some confidence in Python.
    • Then I found web dev interesting and tried some articles on freecodecamp.org.
    • During this time I also found about the CS50 course for Web programming
    • After this I heard everyone saying DSA is the future so I tried to learn some DSA and DAA but quickly switched again.
    • REcently I took up Competitive Programming on sites like Codeforces and Hackerrank but the everyone there uses C++ with STL
    • So immediately I started learning STL from YouTube and tried some questions with C++.
    • If I learn something on day 1, I immediately check the syntax on the next day because I keep forgetting. I am not able to remember simple syntaxes easily..
    • Along with this I got my college stuff like exams and assignments.

    Also another major problem is the vast amount of resources present online. If I learn one I feel like I am missing out on another topic...

    As you can see I am not able to focus on one path of programming and I feel anything that I do is so insignificant, like I learn a topic and I feel this is something others can do so easily and it's a waste of time spending so much effort into this.. I do not know how should I continue my journey into programming as I am at a point where I am literally stuck now. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks for reading this far. Peace

    submitted by /u/Pilot_Natural
    [link] [comments]

    can i make a game using python or do u recommend another language?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 07:58 PM PST

    [HELP] Why doesn't a Facebook client Native App Exist?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 07:34 PM PST

    Hi everyone! I'm validating an app idea I have and a big assumption is that I can pull a users Facebook feed and present it to them with some modifications. Same with Twitter and Instagram.

    I have two questions that I've spent the past few days trying to find the answers to with no luck. I did a good read of the Facebook terms, looked around youtube videos, etc.. I think this is something that can only be answered if you've gone into the weeds so now I'm here.

    1) Why isn't there a facebook client native app? There are tons of web wrappers but no native app. I have to think that's for a reason. From my reading of Facebook's policies and their APIs, you should be able to call a person's feed and present it to them via their APIs. Is there something I'm missing? Or is this because Facebook and App stores will ban you? I've seen a few instances of this.

    2) Are you allowed to modify a person's feed at their request? That is, analyze feed content and remove and/or add content that would not have normally showed up if they had logged in to their Facebook via the actual app/web browser.

    Anything helps so that I can understand if this is a feasible idea or not. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/TheLongBet
    [link] [comments]

    Would learning Unity be a useful tool in my efforts to practise Machine learning and AI?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 01:12 PM PST

    Hi, I want to dabble into the area of ML and AI. I have a strong mathematical background (Engineer)

    The language I am most familiar with is C++ (however I'm still very new to the language).

    Furthermore, are there any insights you could provide about AI and ML? From your own experience.

    submitted by /u/TanvirSS_
    [link] [comments]

    [help] how to display text based on what is on screen.

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 05:51 AM PST

    I have a day by day guide for persona 3. I want it to show its next part. Can I make it so it reads a part of my screen on my first monitor (upper left part of my screen where it says time and day) and write out the guide

    submitted by /u/Atomkom
    [link] [comments]

    How to write a python code to search and hide or remove an html element( a div with specific text inside multiple nested div)?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 06:01 AM PST

    Using a regression tool for automation

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 03:24 PM PST

    I know this is "hacky" and it seems like a dumb question but I want to ask it anyway. My company was working with a 3rd party that provided a document managing solution for policies and procedures. It was on-prem but they are moving all services to the cloud but really missing the mark with a lot of services. (No API!) Eventually our organization may move to a different service but that's not in the cards currently.

    At a previous job I did a lot of end to end automated regression testing work integrating Telerik Test Studio with our Jenkins CI/CD pipeline. I had some pretty kickass tests, going through a complex 6 page registration process and even pulling up a test email account and activating the registration link, and even verifying that it all succeeded in the end before purging the account.

    Back to the issue at hand. Our organization would like a backup of data from this new service, but the only way to get it is via manual process. What if I had an AD account provisioned just for the purposes of being used for a "test" to log into this service and run a full export nightly?

    I feel like there has to be something obvious I'm missing for this solution, otherwise more people would do it but thought I would ask anyways. I don't have access to Telerik at this current job but surely I could use Selenium or something else for it.

    submitted by /u/boomparanoia
    [link] [comments]

    [Help] Getting error with my c# project

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 11:31 AM PST

    Cmd.CommandText = "SELECT SUM(NumOfBooks) AS MemberID FROM Purchases WHERE MemberUsername ='" + MemberName.Text + "'";

    int BooksBought = 0;

    if (Cmd.ExecuteScalar() != DBNull.Value)

    {

    BooksBought = Convert.ToInt32(Cmd.ExecuteScalar());

    BooksOwntxt2.Text = Convert.ToString(BooksBought);

    }

    else

    {

    BooksBought = 0;

    BooksOwntxt2.Text = Convert.ToString(BooksBought);

    }

    Error : System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: 'No value given for one or more required parameters.'

    submitted by /u/Waste-Fox2719
    [link] [comments]

    Developing mobile apps with Python

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 10:05 AM PST

    I'm looking to get into android app development. I know Javascript and Python. I've seen it's possible to make apps using the Kivy framework , PyMob or Beeware. I was wondering are there any drawbacks to this method and are there any limitations compared to using pure Java. I did learn Java many years ago but I remember little to nothing. So I'd like to avoid relearning it if it's feasible to make full scale android apps using Python

    submitted by /u/tnxol
    [link] [comments]

    I need help with a very basic quiz website I am designing on Weebly for my college.

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 09:12 AM PST

    OKay so I am designing this very simple puzzle/quiz website on weebly.

    It works like this.

    1) You start on a webpage, the puzzle is there.

    2)The answer of the puzzle is another webpage, which is hidden. for eg. you start at abcde.weebly.com/start.html

    if your answer is yogurt, you change the last part abcde.weebly.com/yogurt.html which will lead you to level 2, and so on and so forth. Wrong answer will cause 404 page error obviously.

    My problem is, I want to incorporate a Live Leaderboard for this quiz. How do I go on about that? i would prefer it to be fully automated, or even no automated will work.

    There is no login facility yet. It's open. So far what I have thought is, I will give each participant a code, and over each level there will be a simple input box, they will put the code in the box, and it'll send me the code so I'll know which level exactly is each participant at, and I will update the leaderboard manually.

    Is there a way to fully automate this process? What if I purchase weebly premium and ask users to log in first to play... Would it be possible to make a fully automated live leaderboard with it?

    submitted by /u/rishinator
    [link] [comments]

    How to make a discord bot in python that automatically bans someone?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 12:52 PM PST

    So, I'll be honest, I wanted to troll some people, I want to make a bot that when added to a server bans specific users and take adm for other users, how can I proceed? (C'mon, help a troll once)

    submitted by /u/Soundoffox
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with a school project ( C# ) for an online installer to pc.

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 02:04 AM PST

    Hi

    I'm doing a school project and could really use some help, in how to get this project up and running. I'm not asking for anyone to do the project for me, but more of a guideline on how this can be done, and that technology I should be using.

    The project is as follows:

    - Develop an "Agent/Service" that runs on startup on a pc.
    - Develop a website, that has a list of applications like: FileZilla, Spotify, 7zip etc.
    - Use the website to mark the application you want to install, on the pc that's running the agent.
    - On clicking install on the website, the "agent" should be downloading and installing ( silently ) the marked application on the pc.

    In my mind, this should be fairly easy ( lol ). But I could imagine this is a bigger deal than what I'm aware of.

    The help I would like is, what technology should I use for the different parts, what steps should I be taking, how should I build this the best way from the start, is it even possible with C#, what should I be aware of/lookout for, and so on.

    If there is an open-source project somewhere, where I can see how this is done, it would be great. Not that I want to copy-paste it, but for seeing how it CAN be done, and then make it on my own.

    Thanks in advance, and hope you geniuses can help me move on.

    submitted by /u/Th3Moron
    [link] [comments]

    Do you skip fundamental CS if you go straight to developing in frameworks like Django?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 08:26 AM PST

    I am becoming pretty proficient at Django and Python. I've built a few web apps, I wouldn't say that I've mastered anything, but I would say I'm competent. I don't have a background or a formal education in computer science, I've just taught myself from forums and free courses online.

    I read a post the other day that implied I may have skipped some of the fundamentals by learning web development in Django right away, since Django does so much of the work for you. Is this true? What kinds of things might I be missing out on?

    submitted by /u/throwawaycape
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to learn assembly

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 07:42 AM PST

    Hi guys I'm new to programming and I wanna start with assembly I know it's hard but I did my digging and best approach for me is starting with older and basic languages like assembly and Fortran cobol etc. I was wondering if anybody knows a good book or course for start I have some knowledge of c and c++ thanks

    submitted by /u/soh31l
    [link] [comments]

    How do I fully take advantage of Github?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 04:46 AM PST

    So I'm developing a small project using Blazor in C# and I have a repository on Github for it. The problem I'm encountering is that when I compile/run the project there are a lot of assembly files and varying dll files updating which Github and VS Code registers as active changes and resulting in my commits containing literally thousands of changes. This is now a problem because it exceeds Github's 100MB limit making me unable to commit. Is there any way I can tell Github to ignore these files or only push these on my command?

    submitted by /u/rasqall
    [link] [comments]

    When I host node js in heroku we get H10 error I google it but can not find answer ?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 01:24 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment