• Breaking News

    Wednesday, August 5, 2020

    TIL Stripe's new landing page has a Konami code for controlling the animated background gradient web developers

    TIL Stripe's new landing page has a Konami code for controlling the animated background gradient web developers


    TIL Stripe's new landing page has a Konami code for controlling the animated background gradient

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 12:17 PM PDT

    https://stripe.com/

    Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A

    Here's what it looks like: https://i.imgur.com/Wu1wgrv.png

    Thanks to /u/thelaundrysoap for spotting this over in /r/web_design (thread)

    submitted by /u/kaldune
    [link] [comments]

    How should I begin getting in contact with local/small businesses in need of a website? (specific)

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 10:09 PM PDT

    I am hoping to make some small side income by making websites for small local business. I am a junior developer and I honestly don't mind working for really cheap-- I'm really looking for any side income and want to boost my portfolio/resume.

    submitted by /u/surprisedduck26
    [link] [comments]

    How do websites like reddit and twitter handle advertisements in infinite scroll?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 10:23 AM PDT

    I'm working on a social network, and want to add advertisements and messages after certain amount of posts, how do big social networks handle this?

    eg ads on reddit, and informational messages

    my main question lingers around my stack, I use react on the frontend, and a repo called "react-infinite-scroller" in which I map the posts array, how should I handle this? I want to be able to announce new features and ad advertisements between these posts.

    submitted by /u/animasugit
    [link] [comments]

    Found this illustration library for website projects (free for commercial use ^^)

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 05:37 AM PDT

    Found this illustration library for website projects (free for commercial use ^^)

    Blush.design

    What I enjoyed about this one is that you can randomize characters (from hairstyle, expression, to skin color) So combinations are really endless.

    https://i.redd.it/elhve73sx5f51.gif

    https://i.redd.it/j0fwe7f2x5f51.gif

    submitted by /u/PonkiPonkiPoo
    [link] [comments]

    Bootstrap 4.5.1 released

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 01:02 PM PDT

    Suspicious Website Designer my Boss Hired

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 12:23 PM PDT

    Hi all, hella new to web dev and web design in general but I'm learning a lot from this sub. I wanted to talk about something thats been bothering me for a month now, and the fact is that my boss has his company long before I joined and had this "guy" design and develop his website and uses his services today.

    Let me list some things that are just really bizarre to me.

    • I hear weird things about this guy, the fact that he runs his own agency as one man but he outsources all of his work to his people in India. This isn't uncommon to outsource to pay the contractors less if they're from a different country. Lowkey the morality of this is just shady, I wouldn't want to hire this person if I knew he was making 2 grand and paying them 100 for the work we need.
    • The website has errors, not even technical errors but spelling errors and there's no synergy as most websites today. The web design itself makes conversions so much more difficult than it needs to be because there's weird design flaw to it.
    • Before my boss hired me, he has a really great admin and she works so hard but only got hired last year. Only then did she start bringing up some things about the website that's odd to her such as the website not being secure.
    • We don't have access to the website, although we are waiting for it. He uses an html custom site and go daddy as the host (yikes). I've been tinkering around with Wordpress and designing random things, making it secure, learning about different plugins, seo etc. This guy takes forever (24 Hours) to fix spelling errors, add a page, or fix a simple blog link.. let alone the site still aint secure. I'm actually not sure why this is if anyone knows the reason?
    • He also runs our Google Ads (which I'm slowly taking over and once I took a look at their analytics and accounts, I'm just really shocked at how poorly optimized it is I'm talking about 250+ Keywords but only 9 of them have any results (impressions, clicks, like 3 conversions out of all of them) with $1500-2000 Budget.
    • Continuing onto Google Ads, he doesn't use Google Search Console nor did he link their Analytics account with their Google Ads account. My boss asked me to find some information about how their Google Ads are performing with the Keywords (and they're already a huge problem on its own). I'm like cool no problemo and I'm not sure I'm not seeing this the right way but its as if their Google Ads account has been acting standalone for years and GSC is a nice tool to see rankings and all that good stuff. The reason this agency man gave us was that he uses 3rd party tools and the reports he sends my boss & admin are actually his own little charts he gathered from these 3rd party tools. I'm already sussssed at this point.
    • MORE on Google Ads, he told my employers to find the keywords themselves and he'll send them to his people in India and they'll do it.

    Research I've Done: Just honestly checking the website itself, listed so many things wrong with it. Used Wappalyzer (extension) just to simply check out what the website uses and SimilarWb for some easy analytics. I'm also new to web dev so I'm really just looking for some insight here

    The website itself is my main concern as it just seems really suspicious how non communicative he is with my employers and now I'm here I'm looking for answers on some of the things I have found and learned about this "guy". All of our competitors use Wordpress and a great hosting site, and honestly they outshine more than ours because of how easy it is to use, flexibility, speed, security, overall design, etc. Then again i'm still new to this, am I being suspicious over nothing? If you have any advice or even comments about the things I've listed I could really use someone's help. Or if anyone can actually look at this site and tell me if I'm crazy or not just DM me for the link (due to privacy reasons you feel me thank you :D )

    submitted by /u/zjuy
    [link] [comments]

    WebGL Fluid Simulation + more in 1st comment

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 08:26 AM PDT

    Help with Advanced Custom Fields (ACF) issue

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 12:23 PM PDT

    I have some content created using ACF. I had multiple format types set up in ACF which appear to have "disappeared".

    The content created using ACF and the structure still exists. For some reason my site won't display it.

    More specifically I have the following in the wp_posts table:

    41 1 Contact us publish closed closed contact 0 http://[my domain]?page_id=41 0 page 0

    The key (41) is linked to several rows in the wp_postmeta table. This is one example:

    41 section_1_map_embed_code <iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=[link to map]" width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0"></iframe>

    This content should be displayed using the page.php script. Most of the page.php script works as expected (it displays most of the data as expected). Below is an example of the part which doesn't work:

    <?php if( have_rows('section') ): ?> <?php while( have_rows('section') ): the_row(); ?> <?php $section_type =get_sub_field('section_type'); ?> <?php if ($section_type == '2 column content'){ ?> <!-- display some content --> <?php } else if ($section_type == 'map'){ ?> <section class="google-map"> <?php the_sub_field('map_embed_code'); ?> </section> <?php } ?> <?php endwhile; ?> <?php endif; ?> 

    To explain further: "2 column content" is one of the data types/structures I created in ACF and "map" is another.

    In this case a google maps iframe should be displayed, using the iframe set out above.

    TLDR: content is held in the mysql tables as expected, script displays some data from wp_posts and wp_postmeta (which was not created using ACF) but the script does not display other data stored in wp_post and wp_postmeta (which was created using ACF).

    While I'm here, what does the ":" do in the if and while statements? Is it some type of switch?

    Thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/koalaitself
    [link] [comments]

    Become more productive using git aliases

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 10:45 AM PDT

    How to use window.hashchange event to implement routing in vanilla javascript

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 11:44 AM PDT

    Setting up a React + TypeScript project using Parcel.js

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 01:16 PM PDT

    Python Scripting for Print-On-Demand

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 12:53 PM PDT

    Return Early Pattern

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 06:04 AM PDT

    Is web development good start point for IT culture and world

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 02:30 PM PDT

    I believe that web development is good for IT culture. You can learn online marketing, design, front-end, back-end, databases, servers, OS (linux vs windows server), data visualization, testing, automation, coding, network, OOP, using libraries and frameworks, git, command line and even network. Do you agree?

    I ask this question because people who want to participate in digital economy always ask me where they should start. Some learns Python or C and then are confused about the next step. So I believe that web dev is good start point for IT culture and world.

    submitted by /u/verycomplex
    [link] [comments]

    [Q] I recently bought a domain from OnlyDomain and I need the domain to redirect to another site

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 02:24 PM PDT

    Any idea how can I do that?

    submitted by /u/vinilgupta
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to emulate command line in browser

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 02:23 PM PDT

    I'm looking to create a command line replica on my site as an easter egg where you would be able to browse files with basic commands. This should be pretty simple to create so I thought that maybe someone already made a similar thing. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find anything like this so I'm asking here. Any help is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/PeanutButte7
    [link] [comments]

    What do you need to know to become a job-ready web developer?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 01:50 PM PDT

    Im thinking something like: html, css, javascript etc.

    submitted by /u/sudolake
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to create a complex custom filter control for a bootstrap-table?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 11:35 AM PDT

    I understand that the bootstrap-table extension supports creating filter controls, limited to select and input fields. I also see an option to make a custom filter control for a given column, and give bootstrap-table its #id, but it also has to be an input or a select element.

    My question is, is it possible to create a custom filter control that is more complex, for example, a widget that allows the user to select a date range? (specific year, month, etc)

    submitted by /u/cmakeshift
    [link] [comments]

    Headless CMS recommendations?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 01:46 PM PDT

    i'd love to switch from wordpress to another cms + react / gatsby / nextjs.

    but i cannot find a cms i could hand over to non-tech clients, with a good conscience. no solution i found has a DE admin ui translation, which is a must for my clients.

    what would be your recommendation?

    submitted by /u/kitsunekyo
    [link] [comments]

    primepastalib - A python library to help deploy django projects to heroku

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 01:43 PM PDT

    I made a library that will make the required changes to a django project and will deploy it to heroku.

    First, install it via pip

    pip install primepastalib 

    It works this way:

    from primepastalib import herokuLogin, djangoDeploy #projectName is the name of your django project, and appName is the name that you'd your heroku app to have. #adds the required files and makes changes to the settings.py file, and deploys them to heroku. Make sure you're logged in. Heroku will choose a name for the app. djangoDeploy('projectName') #Does the same as above, except the name you pass will be used for the app. djangoDeploy('projectName', 'appName') #You can also login to heroku by running the following: (It is recommended that you log into the heroku CLI yourself.) herokuLogin() 

    You can check out repository here: https://github.com/primepasta/primepastalib

    Feel free to contribute!

    submitted by /u/primepasta
    [link] [comments]

    Post/Mid Covid, which niches are you freelance Web devs targeting?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 01:29 PM PDT

    Hey,

    I'm a freelancer and I've started pretty recently developing sites, with a small portfolio. I'm thinking of cold calling some local businesses to get more clients. Which niches have you found the most success with either during or post Covid?

    So far I have found Clinics/Pharmacies to be the most successful. Shops and restaurants so far seem to be out of the question due to the hit that they took. Any other niches that might be a success in these times?

    submitted by /u/i_kurt_i
    [link] [comments]

    Create blazing fast multithreading User Interfaces outside of nodejs

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 01:29 PM PDT

    Where to start on my project?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 11:13 AM PDT

    OK... I am really inspired by r/Blackie810. The cyberDeck he made ( https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/comments/gcqpb7/my_take_on_the_pi_cyberdeck/ ) is amazing and I want to try something similar.

    I want to make a portable server that hosts a website that contains articles, pdf's, and other information that users can read, download, and upload. I want to have an admin page where the admin can tweak, change, and control the site.

    I have experience with HTML, CSS, and JS. I know some python, and have been introduced to SQL, but I do not know where to start with the back-end web dev. A large problem is that I feel a little overwhelmed when tutorials start to use frameworks, something I have no experience with. Suggestions where to start? Thanks

    submitted by /u/Capt_gr8_1
    [link] [comments]

    Canada Post API Integration Question

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 09:38 AM PDT

    I have 3 products on my client's website, 2 of them are so small they can go in an envelope unless the quantity gets large enough then it goes in a parcel.

    I've tried 3 different plugins now and no matter what, it shows parcel cost even if I add 1 piece (which is tiny).

    I've looked over all the settings and nothing gives the option to choose envelope anywhere.

    Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/mrdanbrag
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment