• Breaking News

    Tuesday, August 4, 2020

    Royalty-Free SVG Illustrations and Animations web developers

    Royalty-Free SVG Illustrations and Animations web developers


    Royalty-Free SVG Illustrations and Animations

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 06:16 AM PDT

    Weird Yeet overflow

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 09:42 AM PDT

    Weird Yeet overflow

    Overflow in display

    Overflows in Dev tools too

    Saw this today, seems nuts, seems you have to put overflow hidden to hide it, I did try it on reddit/youtube doesn't seem to be an issue on display only on edit mode/limited scope... not sure if it's like a bad design if your site isn't great or unknown, seems to be harmless other than visually is bad

    If this is old news I'll delete this

    https://preview.redd.it/bmz0xc40l0f51.png?width=389&format=png&auto=webp&s=ebef6a2977694c0960dcc2d2e28caa0c810b91eb

    Edit: example of text ->

    Yeet้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

    edit: interesting Firefox truncates it in textarea

    submitted by /u/ie11_is_my_fetish
    [link] [comments]

    Tailwind CSS: From Side-Project Byproduct to Multi-Million Dollar Business

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 12:14 AM PDT

    Steps to ensure that if you die, your hosting and domain will live on

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 12:36 PM PDT

    Looking for Resources on tying together front and back ends

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 02:46 PM PDT

    Good afternoon everyone! I am working with NextJS lately, and am looking for resources on how to tie this into backends such as Flask, Django, NodeJS, etc. and am having a bit of a hard time wrapping my head around it. I understand about as much as opening up a REST api with the backend and calling the data from the front end, but frankly, I can't for the life of me figure out how to do so.

    I am looking for resources on this and to help me make the jump from simplistic applications to something much more complex and enterprise grade. I'd be even willing to pay someone to sit down with me and help me to understand.

    Thanks in advance for your help and pointing me in the right direction! :)

    submitted by /u/AtlasCarrier
    [link] [comments]

    After being asked questions about things I have LITERALLY worked with last night, I froze up and may have mucked up the interview. How do I "remember" things?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 02:45 PM PDT

    Title pretty much. Today I had an interview, and got asked some questions regarding thigs I literally have just used last night. But when they asked me that, I utterly froze up. At one point they moved to the next question I was like "Wait a sec" and then proceeded to answer the previous question lol.

    ...How do I remember stuff? It's not that I don't know the things asked, I literally use them every day, but I'm more of a "doer" than "explainer." If you tell me to do something, I'll ask a few questions, and get on doing it, and if you ask me to explain my thought process behind it, I will be able to answer you, but if you ask me "Hey how do we use x and what's the pros and cons of x vs y," and put me on the spot I will utterly freeze up.

    Suggestions? I'm gonna drink my sorrows away with a mid-afternoon beer I guess.

    Edit: To preface I have a couple years' experience in frontend and jabbashit.

    submitted by /u/lannisterstark
    [link] [comments]

    How do deal with images (page speed)

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 03:13 PM PDT

    I'm doing a bit of research on page speed. I get the impression that I'm supposed to offer several image sizes, so that larger screens can load larger images and smaller screens load smaller images. Is this typical? Should I be doing this?

    Also, what about Google's page speed suggestion, "serve images in next gen formats?" It looks like those formats don't have great support. Why would Google suggest that?

    Looks like the suggested method of serving multiple size images is to use srcset and sizes. To use "next gen formats," everyone is suggesting webp using picture and source. So that might be three size images, in webp format and jpg format (for backup compatibility.) That's six image files for one image. This looks like a million lines of code for each image. Is this feasible for image-heavy sites?

    Thanks for any help with this!

    submitted by /u/crockalley
    [link] [comments]

    Moving domain from private server to shared hosting

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 01:59 PM PDT

    Hey all! Newbie here and have what I imagine is a simple question.

    A friend of mine had a Wordpress site built by a friend and hosted on his private server. It ended up getting hacked and while the encrypted files were removed, the wp-admin panel still cannot be accessed. He asked me to start a new site fresh with new hosting but this is the first time I've ever done something like that. What do I need to transfer the domain? The old site itself does not need to be saved or transferred, just the domain.

    submitted by /u/isthereenoughwater
    [link] [comments]

    What software to use?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 08:04 AM PDT

    Hey guys, been doing web design for a few weeks (learning) and i want to start messing around with what i learn. Whats the best software for HTML and CSS? Would prefer a free software but willing to pay a one time fee for said software if its that good.

    submitted by /u/IronCBR
    [link] [comments]

    Should I focus on JUST frontend coding to break into the web dev field?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 10:08 AM PDT

    As a budding, unemployed dev, I've been thinking about focus lately.

    It seems all too common for new devs to scatter their CS studying everywhere. And I've been guilty of that. Eventually, after realizing my sin of unfocus, I decided I wanted to be a web dev.

    Though, I'm now wondering if I should sharpen that focus to an even more narrow focus in just frontend coding. I eventually want to be a full stack dev, but if I want to get my foot in the door, it might be better to stick with just frontend at first so I can become decent at a single domain, quickly, rather than spreading myself too thin by focusing on both front and backend and slowly becoming mediocre at each.

    Is there any good logic to my train of thought?

    submitted by /u/ShylotheCurious
    [link] [comments]

    Gmail inbox feed

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 04:02 PM PDT

    Dear Web developers,

    I need to get gmail inbox feed as rss. According to https://developers.google.com/gmail/gmail_inbox_feed -

    The Gmail Inbox Feed will output your Inbox as an XML document. You can use an RSS aggregator to view this, or you can consume the feed with your own app. OAuth 2.0 is the preferred authentication method, using the scope https://mail.google.com/mail/feed/atom and fetching the feed with the request GET https://mail.google.com/mail/feed/atom.

    I believe I can get the token from Google API Console.

    Can you please help me with the syntax of the complete url https://mail.google.com/mail/feed/atom - including the token?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/moongya
    [link] [comments]

    Mobile Website Requires Tap to Stop Scrolling Before Switching Scroll Direction

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 12:02 PM PDT

    For context this is my photography portfolio site, meaning I'm a very amateur developer.

    I've been having a weird issue with the mobile version of my website where if I want to change scrolling directions you have to tap the screen once before I can scroll the other way. On any other website I can scroll down and with one swipe begin scrolling up instead. On my website if I scroll down and then try to swipe to scroll up instead, the page stops scrolling and only after another swipe will it begin to scroll up. I've tested it on my android phone as well as on my desktop in the mobile preview module of inspect element in chrome. If anyone has any ideas about what the issue is please let me know!

    Website is here

    submitted by /u/glass_mass_
    [link] [comments]

    Noob question about hosting and multiple WP sites

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 10:52 AM PDT

    Hello.

    The short version: How do I make the switch to a new Wordpress site for a client that already has one?

    As you probably can read, I'm not a developer but a designer 🙂. I'm going to redesign a Wordpress website for a client and I'm confused on how the best approach to do this while keeping the current site live until I'm done.

    The clients current website is a Wordpress site that is installed in a subfolder on the server at a hosting service. Like this www.clientsname.com/wordpress/ I have had nothing to do with this site and installation.

    So to sum it up: The client has their first and really old website on this URL "www.clientsname.com" and their current site on this URL "www.clientsname.com/wordpress/" The homepage on the old site is then re-directing traffic to the wordpress site. It's a mess - that much I can tell 🙂.

    So my question is on how I make the switch to a fresh wordpress site that will sit on www.clientsname.com without deleting the current site.

    The web host they use (simply.com) has a one-click WP installation function. The new site will still be hosted by simply.com

    Hope you will help.

    🙏

    submitted by /u/RealOldGamer
    [link] [comments]

    help on project

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 01:43 PM PDT

    I am trying to create a game publishing platform as a way to improve my web development skills. A couple of my games are only compatible with google chrome. Does anyone know how I could make those games only visible on the home page if the users browser is chrome? On the home page the games are shown as images that link to the games webpage. Here is the site for reference: www.minigamewrld.com (I am very early in development right now)

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/angryindiangamer
    [link] [comments]

    My somewhat unpopular opinion: Firefox sucks.

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 01:03 PM PDT

    I don't know, I just don't like it. I never really liked its interface and I prefer Chrome "eating" my RAM (I put that in quotes because I honestly never had issues with performance when using Chrome and yet my computer isn't one of the strongest out there) than having to deal with Firefox. Also, so many dope features are unsupported. Backdrop filters, more customization options for scrollbars, there are also some design and alignment differences between the two browsers and the list can go on for a while...

    And I don't know if it's just me but in some cases, Internet Explorer shows slightly better results when it comes to some elements. Like buttons or literally just text. Even the font rendering isn't that good.

    I'm not saying it's a bad browser, it's the third-best browser for me, with first being Chrome and second Edge (which is based on Chromium, too) but I feel like it can be something much, much, much better. A lot of friends of mine prefer it and once even made me use it just for a little bit just for me to see it's better but it didn't really work. I tried, I really did.

    I'm curious, am I the only one that doesn't like Firefox that much? I'm not posting this to offend anyone, I just want to share my thoughts and see if there are people who would agree.

    submitted by /u/plamendobrev
    [link] [comments]

    How to handle responsive text sizes.

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 06:29 AM PDT

    As a frontend web developer, I often come across designs that change the text size between desktop and mobile views. For example, a heading that might be 32px on desktop is now 26px on mobile. The same goes for text or other elements that use text ( eg. buttons ).

     

    Now, as someone that actually has a background in design, I know that more often than not this is not a design choice but rather "I've created the desktop design and now this element doesn't fit on mobile, so I'm gonna reduce text size". However, this creates a bigger problem for devs - Am I supposed to create media queries for all those singular cases where text didn't fit, or is there some other more reasonable way to go about this ? I'm used to writting CSS with sass, so maybe I could just create $size-desktop and $size-mobile variables, but I feel I'd just end up with a long list of sizes that no dev could possibily keep track of without repeatedly consulting the variables list.

    submitted by /u/heave_afar
    [link] [comments]

    What tech stack do you use and why?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 08:37 AM PDT

    Do you require it for your job? Do you like it? Do you use it personally outside of work?

    Just curious what others are doing!

    submitted by /u/durantt0
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a music visualizer framework. Free or paid.

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 12:11 PM PDT

    I see a lot of one off projects, unmaintained, or experiments.

    I have music library project that has hundreds of music user generated content. Right now it's a generic bare bone player.

    Anyone know of frameworks that has a decent selection of visualizations. The ability the more easily develop your own would be bonus.

    submitted by /u/chris480
    [link] [comments]

    Why I Self-Host My Website Analytics

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 11:00 PM PDT

    Critique my plan for a career in web development

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 09:57 AM PDT

    Hi everyone, I'm thinking of moving into web development as a self-taught programmer, I have some experience in Java and SQL from my days in school and doing some programming on the side.

    Here's my plan to get into web developer in a junior role:

    Month 1-2: I'm currently working on a team that's building a web application, I'm working on the backend that's running on python Django with a postgresql database. For month 1-2 I plan on focusing on this project and learning more about both the django framework, and a bit about how HTML and CSS works(by seeing how the front end team handles things, and learning more on my own). I also plan to get a little exposure to javascript here.

    Month 3: I plan to dive way more in to javascript, including the ReactJS and node.js frameworks. On top of that, I plan on building my first from scratch website( a basic one, no database interaction).

    Month 4: I plan on learning PHP and laravel, and doing a portfolio website(again basic) that incorporates these.

    Month 5: Here I plan on focusing exclusively on a really nice dynamic website/webapp that interacts with an SQL based database.

    Month 6: Here I plan on refining any past portfolio projects, displaying them nicely on a portfolio website, and starting the job search.

    Additionally, this plan is quite flexible, and portfolio project start dates might vary, but ideally, I'd be ending one solid from scratch one, before moving on to the next one.

    Is my program reasonable? I'm able to put in at least 40 hours a work week, and on my weekends I do relax a bit more, but still do a 2-4 hours coding a day, because I enjoy it.

    submitted by /u/altmethods
    [link] [comments]

    anchor repeating on url

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 09:54 AM PDT

    I have a website that has 3 sepearate sections, however, the menu has anchor links to specific places of the homepage too. So I have /home/#aboutus, /home/#contact, etc.

    It all works well when I'm on the homepage, but if I go to any page that is not the homepage, when I click the link /home/#aboutus, once the homepage loads, the url loads the #aboutus again, so I end up with this URL: domain .com/home/#aboutus#aboutus.

    Do you have any idea of why this is happening? all I've found is how to make the anchor links but not how to stop it from repeating like this.

    It happens with all the anchor links and it's always a repeat from the same link. I hope someone knows what's happening, thank you!

    submitted by /u/nekocamui
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for static site generator first timer

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 08:05 AM PDT

    Hey guys, I'm using Hugo for a personal blog project and wanted your opinions. I needed something simple that loads fast, is secure, cheap to host, and it seemed like the best solution. I've done some research but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

    I'm trying to plan for the future and if I get more visitors I will want to capture emails and send them to Mailchimp or another ESP. What do you recommend as the best solution for this? (I've seen Zapier mentioned and some 3rd party form solutions). I am also wondering if Netlify is the best place to host it if I don't want to write everything in markdown. I just need to connect to a headless CMS right? Ideally I would like to automate the deployment by pushing to Github.

    Is there anything else I should plan for as a first time SSG user? Thanks guys

    submitted by /u/beefnbro
    [link] [comments]

    Would like some critique on my portfolio website from webdev POV

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 10:59 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment