• Breaking News

    Sunday, August 16, 2020

    I made a site + chrome extension which lets you save web designs that inspire you web developers

    I made a site + chrome extension which lets you save web designs that inspire you web developers


    I made a site + chrome extension which lets you save web designs that inspire you

    Posted: 15 Aug 2020 09:55 PM PDT

    [Kor UI] �� Design System Updates

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 11:11 AM PDT

    Unpopular opinion: I'm really starting to hate using single page apps.

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 07:02 AM PDT

    I was just shopping on https://www.eddiebauer.com/ and every goddam thing I do results in spinners, repainting, restoring scroll position, history manipulation, etc. How is the modern web not triggering epileptic fits more often?

    eddiebauer.com, you are not some information dashboard, you sell clothes. Just generate a static site and stop the madness.

    submitted by /u/burtgummer45
    [link] [comments]

    What more to learn before I can get jobs?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 09:31 AM PDT

    I've spent a good few months learning css and html.

    I'm confident enough that I feel I can look at any almost webpage and able to recreate the layout of it minus any parts that need javascript.

    Obviously some would take me long time and may need responsive designs and images which would be time consuming but I'd get there.

    I have not yet learned any javascript or back end languages. So I think there are no jobs I can apply for?

    What skills and things would I need before I should be able to find work?

    Of course building portfolio is a given but I mean skills that are required for most jobs.

    It seems being full stack is almost a must to. Not many jobs looking front end only.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/redorblewit
    [link] [comments]

    Why does Facebook use l.facebook.com to redirect to other websites?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 11:22 AM PDT

    When a user embeds a link in a facebook post, facebook will redirect to the given link from l.facebook.com instead of just allowing people to click the original link. Why do they do this? Is it to check the validity of the URL? Tracking purposes? Or something else?

    submitted by /u/gullerg
    [link] [comments]

    Ask Webdev: If you got the control of the example.com domain, what would you do with it?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 01:31 PM PDT

    If you got the control of the example.com domain, what would you do with it?

    submitted by /u/dagerdev
    [link] [comments]

    How to monetize my website?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 03:31 PM PDT

    Hello, I recently created a website, it allows users to write a letter to their future selves. They provide their email, name and write the letter. We sent the email on the date they selected.

    It is going pretty well and it is becoming viral on tiktok and instagram, on the first 3 days we reached +3000 letters written.

    My question now is how to monetize this, as the service is free and i think the users wont pay a fee just to write a simple letter, so i have to find another way because i dont want to charge them.

    I have a nice email list and these emails will surely be used in the future (because they are waiting for the letter lol) can i get money from email lists?

    Maybe ads? Google Ads? It is my first website so i am not sure how to the ads thing works, but I am willing to learn if it is worth.

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/Deloquito
    [link] [comments]

    When I’m trying to work with flexbox and grid

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 01:04 PM PDT

    Best laptop for full stack webdev in 2020?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 12:13 PM PDT

    What's the best laptop for full stack web development in your opinion? I'm currently looking at new laptops, and I'm not quite sure what would be best to get. I'm using Windows atm, but I'd be happy to work with new operating systems

    submitted by /u/gullerg
    [link] [comments]

    [Tutorial] Using Kibana to Debug Production Issues

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 09:58 AM PDT

    I made a web app which allows you store your `.env` files securely and share them with your team

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 12:07 PM PDT

    Hello Reddit

    It always bugged me that you shouldn't check in your .env
    files into git. Every time I join a new project or start working on a different machine I need to log in to all services I'm using and regenerate the secrets. Therefore I created envstore.dev!

    envstore is built using the MongoDB Express Svelte Node (MESN) Stack. It uses node crypto
    module to encrypt the uploaded files. It also uses caching in the frontend using svelte stores.

    It's my actual first side project which I managed to finish and I'm quite happy with the end result because it eases my own process and I hope it will also help you!

    submitted by /u/Frexeptabel
    [link] [comments]

    Starting the journey on DigitalOcean and Droplets ¿tips for making things smooth and secure?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 03:43 PM PDT

    This will be my first time in this kind of server-approach. I will host some WordPress sites, WooCommerce store, some static sites, Matomo analytics and a Ghost site:

    Do you have some tips for setting up a server in DigitalOcean?

    NGINX or Apache?

    Tips for making things smooth?

    Tips for making a secure-server environment?

    Thank you, have a nice day!

    submitted by /u/forgetaboutnames
    [link] [comments]

    Do you watch any Twitch/YouTube webdev channels?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 11:51 AM PDT

    Looking for recommendations! Is there any you enjoy? Many thanks.

    submitted by /u/xadz
    [link] [comments]

    Gitutor: A command line that makes Git easy

    Posted: 15 Aug 2020 06:59 PM PDT

    I tried to recreate the Youtube miniplayer they posted about last week in a personal project that I'm working on during quarantie for my portfolio. Think you guys would like it. If planning to add the miniplayer since beginning I would implement it different, but works fine like this (little bugs).

    Posted: 15 Aug 2020 07:28 PM PDT

    Anyone have a reference for a project I have in mind?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 01:56 PM PDT

    I'm looking to build a web app with the ability to choose between media elements similar to the way a Character customization menu in a video game works.

    submitted by /u/VeggieSamm
    [link] [comments]

    Major / big websites using one-time-passwords (codes) which they send to your email, each time you want to login: do you know any examples?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 07:43 AM PDT

    i am mulling authentication options for my site which does not have any sensitive info.

    i don't want to be in the business of maintaining usernames & passwords, especially because i don't want the work to support "forgot pw", user profiles etc.

    yes, 3rd party auth options exist (such as google, fb etc.) but i don't want to use those either.

    therefore, i am looking at the OTP "pattern" to send the user a pw "code" or a "magic link" each time they want to login.

    amongst all my accounts, i found only that i only one is using this magic link approach (StartupJobs)

    do you know any other sites that use this one-time-password auth pattern for each login: code/pw or magic link?

    thanks!

    edit: i suspect pw/code is "safer" than sending a link since a lot of phishing attacks relay on getting ppl to click on "funky" links sent to their emails. therefore, asking the recipient to go to the site themselves and paste in the code/pw would be perceived as less sketchy.

    edit2: thus far we have
    Medium social/3rd party & email+magicLink
    Slack email+pw & email+magicLink
    Gog has a pw and social/3rd party

    submitted by /u/remixrotation
    [link] [comments]

    Web based image optimization?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 01:36 PM PDT

    I'm looking for an open source solution to facilitate and establish a network accessible image optimization service. This would be implemented via a reverse nginx proxy for image requests. I want to optimize images on the fly and cache them via nginx.

    I'd consider python, golang and php based solutions but am open to any suggestions. Not interested in a paid 3rd party service - want to run through the exercise of rolling out my own.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/ogrekevin
    [link] [comments]

    Welcome To OS13k – A Tiny Web Based OS and Game Engine

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 09:33 AM PDT

    What’s the easiest way to create an api backend?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 01:02 PM PDT

    In your opinion, what is the easiest and fastest way to create a api backend for an application ? I might use Postgres or MongoDB Thanks!

    submitted by /u/benzflow
    [link] [comments]

    "Junior" .NET developer - I don't really like working on backend Logic heavy tickets but I absolutely love the idea of making websites look amazing.

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 09:16 AM PDT

    I really really don't see myself liking the backend side of ASP.NET. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the concepts of .NET and with the new functionality of ASP.NET CORE, it seriously has a great ecosystem behind it and the community is great as well. I def. see myself learning how to get better and better without being pressured from my job. Every time I see fancy animations on websites I visit or beautiful layouts and style like Stripe.com I cant help but think "Wow this is so cool I wonder whats in the backend and how are they doing this / How can I replicate this on my local environment"

    My question is, what exactly do I need to learn in order to be a Front End Developer? I'm considering leaving my job in order to become one hopefully assuming I'm even qualified of course.

    Background - I started as an intern at my consulting company but I basically worked on building custom wordpress themes for clients so WordPress + Bootstrap mainly. I then became full time and started slowly getting into our .NET SAAS product which has been great but I was mainly working on upgrading and fixing UI / Front end bugs. My boss recently told me to get out of the junior role and fully embrace the Full Stack so naturally this meant I needed to get better at C# ( I suck ) and ASP.NET MVC ( which I also suck at ) I've been getting more and more logic heavy tickets which I dread and stress because this means I need to reach out to our small team every day for help or directions.

    Whenever I hear front end developers - I think of heavy JavaScript with a combination of React / Angular / Vue? I am super curious on what you guys do and I really want to be good at something programming wise, hopefully I can be a great Front end Developer.

    submitted by /u/lethalsid
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to do freelance work without a degree?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 11:41 AM PDT

    Hi! I'm on my last year of highschool and I recently started getting interested in learning html, and I was wondering is it possible to do freelance work only with the help of online courses and such? How difficult would that be? Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Dry-Stress
    [link] [comments]

    How would you keep a single-page app in sync with a database?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 11:38 AM PDT

    TL;DR how do you observe changes (like cascading deletions from foreign keys, and other stuff not in foreign keys) to a DB made as a result of API calls from a Vue app and send them back to the Vue app?


    With a side project I'm making, the main data in the app is graphs, which have posts, that are linked together with links, and there are also subgraphs, which are subsets of posts and links.

    It's all very relational - when I remove a post, I need to remove any links from it, remove it from any graphs it's in, etc; When I add a link to a graph, if the source and target posts aren't already in a graph, I need to add them too, there's lots of that sort of thing.

    I'm storing all that data in Vuex, since it's an offline-first single-page Vue app, which works okish, but that means I need to handle all the relational bits myself - like auto-incrementing IDs, removing posts from graphs, etc.


    That gets annoying, so I wanted to change it to use a relational DB, like SQLite using Laravel, but then I have an issue with the front-end and the database getting out of sync with eachother.

    Say I store all the data in a DB, if I remove a post, the DB will remove all the links to the post for me (because of the foreign key constraitns), but I'm still using Vuex to actually show the data on the page, so I still need to remove all the links to the post that are already in Vuex, and I can't think of any good way to do that. Similarly, when I add a link to a graph, if the target and source posts aren't already in the graph, I need to add them too - that's not a foreign key constraint, so I need to do that manually.

    Basically, if I change the DB, I also need to change the Vuex store to match it exactly, and I can't really think of a way to do that that isn't just doing the exact same relational data changes in the frontend.

    Typically, I don't think this is a problem in most systems because they have multiple pages, and when you go to a different page, you'll just load the data that that page needs Here, I only have 1 page (and 1 tab in that page you'll use 90% of the time), so that's not an option.

    What the app looks like

    An important point here is that users can't affect eachother's data, only their own, so I don't need to worry about that.

    The different ways I can think of are:

    1. The simplest thing to do would just be to refresh all the tables from the DB that could have changed anytime you make a database query: if I add a link to a graph, refresh all of the graph's posts automatically, but that feels quite inefficient and wasteful.

    2. Duplicate the logic on the DB layer that works out what needs to change, and apply it on the frontend

    3. Probably the best one, manually calculate the cascading deletions in the DB layer before the queries run, and along with the other resultant changes (like inserting target and source posts when you insert a link), send a list of the changes that need to be made back in the API call's response, a bit like event sourcing.

    Are there any other ways to do this sort of thing? I've asked colleagues at work and on Twitter, and it seems like a bit of a hard problem.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/shunt31
    [link] [comments]

    Skill list API

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 10:54 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I am creating a page where I need to show list of IT skills available like Java,C#,Python,Tableau etc. Is there a working API or an exhaustive list somewhere that I can use. The skills profile in rapidapi seems broken.

    submitted by /u/Orangethakkali
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment