• Breaking News

    Friday, July 17, 2020

    We spent $2,042 advertising our mobile game on Snapchat. Here are the results.

    We spent $2,042 advertising our mobile game on Snapchat. Here are the results.


    We spent $2,042 advertising our mobile game on Snapchat. Here are the results.

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 06:18 PM PDT

    This data is for the indies considering paid advertising.

    Our game is a free to play puzzle game called King Rabbit. This is the trailer, the ad looked the same as the trailer but in portrait mode. We spent time making sure the ad was well-targeted, fit our demographic, US / Canada only, etc.

    • Impressions: 1,870,950
    • Swipe Ups: 49,962 (swipe up is an engagement, basically the user visits our app page)
    • eCPM: $1.09
    • Cost per swipe up: $.04

    Looks pretty good at first glance, right? We then checked the App Store analytics. They have a ~20-30% reporting rate, because users have to give their consent for their analytics to be collected.

    • Snapchat impressions: 9,847
    • App units: 22
    • Sales: $0
    • 22 units at a 20% reporting rate = estimated 110 actual installs.

    $2042 / 110 = $18.56 per install. That's really bad mmk. We didn't even see a small bump.

    What do you think is happening here? Any experts in the house that could explain more? It's possible that the App Store reporting isn't very accurate, but either way we'll never do it again and wouldn't recommend it to you either.

    submitted by /u/Rsloth
    [link] [comments]

    Created Shader Graph that converts any sprite to pixel art in Unity engine - tutorial link in comments

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 05:36 AM PDT

    Implementing a fiber system (lightweight user space threads) in my C game engine

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 09:56 AM PDT

    From this point.. What path do I follow to a game development carer?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 04:27 AM PDT

    I have a dream job: Game designer, of board games and video games.

    I didn't realize about this dream on time. Now I'm father of two and approaching fast to my 30's. The thing is I'll not give up ond this, even if it takes me 5, 10 or 15 years.

    I have some time making small prototypes and projects with some friends, Nothing serious. I have a pretty good base knowledge in a few aspects of the game deveolpment process but I don't excel in any, like: Programming, art and sound/music.

    For what I know (correct me if I'm wrong) the "game designer" is a developer with experience, is not like one prepare for that job and get's it at first.

    SO.. I don't have too much time between kids and work (retail) and I'm not getting younger neither. So I concluded that I need to specialize on one of this aspects so I can get a job in the future to insert myself on the industry.

    In which knowledge should I deepen? (I like all more-or-less the same)

    Do you have any tip? Anything I'm not thinking of?

    I'm enclined for programming, beacuse programmers are needed, generaly. If tou agree.. What language, course, career shoul I approach?

    Thanks in advance and sorry for the wall of text.

    submitted by /u/theDampEmpanada
    [link] [comments]

    Done with game dev

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 12:27 PM PDT

    Hey All,

    I've been a games producer for quite some time now in the AAA sphere and to be honest it's been a terrible experience. All the negative stories that fly around the internet about the industry has basically been my entire experience. The issue here is that I find it so difficult to leave the industry as it feels like most other industry recruiters just simply do not understand what it is that we do. My question here is where do games producers go after they are well and done with producing games and looking for a better quality of life and better pay? How do we bypass the automation of applying for jobs online just for the algorithm to say no. I am thankful to be employed during this insane time and to have a salary for sure. But, all of this time isolated has made me think real long and deeply. I need to make my exit to an industry or company that is a much more pleasant experience.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Medium-Syllabub4631
    [link] [comments]

    180 Free Low-Poly Assets (OBJ/FBX/Blend) + Project Introduction

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 10:14 AM PDT

    180 Free Low-Poly Assets (OBJ/FBX/Blend) + Project Introduction

    https://preview.redd.it/lndqyks5pfb51.png?width=2194&format=png&auto=webp&s=5203ff9bdc3b53ac98364528a86435e1496f58cf

    Hi. My third pack, I have made 180 free modern city-themed assets for any kind of project you may need it for, with one simple rule, don't claim it as yours and don't sell it. Besides, you can freely use it for your commercial and non-commercial projects. Crediting appreciated, but not necessarily needed. Original colors not too vibrant, but works well with color correction.

    https://preview.redd.it/ea5uf3ebpfb51.png?width=1666&format=png&auto=webp&s=ccaa77e7d7790c01c664017e4990d5103e2be6ca

    More screenshots and assets overview

    Download: Mediafire | Google Drive | Patreon

    Why free? Because it will grab more attention and I'd like to make gamedev more accessible to people.

    Also, I'd really like to see what people making with my assets, so I appreciate it if you PM me and share your works using my assets. (✧ω✧)

    Sorry if some asset naming or post spelling/grammar issues, English is not my first language.

    A project I'm working on is a stylized sandbox exploration-based game, inspired by Breath of the Wild and Skyrim, ultimately, I'd like to make it a free easy base for other people's creations, highly inspired by Minecraft, GMod and Skyrim modding tools and community, by making it as much modding friendly that I can, additionally, sharing most of it graphic assets just like these. I can understand that it is pretty big, hard to make, and not too trustworthy project based on that brief description, still, you'll at least will be able to get free assets. Please, notify me if you are interested in the game by any means.

    It took so much time and stress, but I'm glad its finally done.

    Please notify me if there is some problem or critical mistakes

    There's not too much work for that kind artist, and my hardware pretty far from good (2011 half-dead laptop), so financial support would be very helpful, especially for my game project, still, completely optional. Patreon

    submitted by /u/pava01_
    [link] [comments]

    What Path Should I Take to Become a Creative-director For a Major Game ?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 12:01 PM PDT

    Hi, My biggest goal is to become a Creative-Director or a lead director on a major Game in the gaming industry, I'm 16 and i look up to great Creative directors in the industry such as: Cory Barlog (Creative director for God of war) and Ken levine (director for Bioshock 1 and Infinite), and I aspire to become a successful and great director like them, I know it takes a lot of time,dedication,work and creativity to get to such a position, but I still want to become one, I started to learn to draw,code,3d design and i'm even thinking about starting to write, the thing is, I wanna learn about is how to get there, what route in the industry should i take to become a Creative-director like Ken or Cory, I'd definitely prefer a more artistic path (Like 3D design,concept art,animation....etc,) but I don't know if that will lead me to the goal I want, maybe a writing or programming path would lead me there?, so I'd really appreciate some advice on that, I'd rather not start an indie studio and go for more of a AAA studio kind of Career, another question I have is can consept artists (or game artists in general) become Creative-Directors ?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/AssGravy-69
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a game engine recommendation

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 11:46 AM PDT

    I have been tasked to design and create a game for training medical trainees at a clinic. I am studying computer science and I have some experience with Unity and mainly objected oriented languages. What might be the best fit for a game that will be 2D, and simple, have clickable options for questions and not too much depth with additional interactivity? I'm happy to code more so than to learn about and work with a GUI. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Bondi_Blue
    [link] [comments]

    Multiplayer across multiple games

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 11:36 AM PDT

    Ever so often, I hear people say "this game is best for that, and that game is best for this"

    Could the future bring us games that are linked together during multiplayer?

    An example: I'll use war/combat games since that is what I am used to. Lets say you have DCS (flightsim), and Squad or some sort of battlefield/arma hybrid (infantry and vehicle combat). Then the rounds/matches would take place on the same map, with same coordinates. But the flightsim would use a much bigger map, and the fps would use a smaller map. The positions of each character/actor would be duplicated to the games via network, and the players in the fps game will be able to see the planes flying and bombs dropping. And the players in the flightsim will be able to see and have an effect on the soldiers and vehicles from the fps game.

    What do you think? Are we there now, that this is possible? Would it even work?

    submitted by /u/Igno2k
    [link] [comments]

    Entity Component System in Action with TypeScript

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 07:12 AM PDT

    Music for games

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 09:14 AM PDT

    Hello everybody, I'm a music producer rookie, I literally love videogames, I think they're one of the most expressive form of art ever shaped by humanity and I love when they are accompanied by great soundtracks. My, maybe dumb, question is: what do I need to get into the game music industry in your opinion? I know it could be difficult to give an exhausting answer to this, but still :)

    submitted by /u/ALOelement
    [link] [comments]

    Rokoko Motion Capture Suit - Realtime LIVE in Unity

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 08:56 AM PDT

    JUST AN IDEA

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 12:20 PM PDT

    But like, a daredevil game? with all of NYC, adaptive parkour and environments, matt murdock, and a stamina bar during fights.

    submitted by /u/MercuryOnReddit
    [link] [comments]

    Hardsurface Sculpting in Zbrush is a topic hard to come by, yet such an important one. Alexander stops by Stylized Station to give us an amazing breakdown on how he approaches hardsurface character sculpting in Zbrush, and a ton of tips & tricks you can use to take your sculpting to the next level

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 05:49 AM PDT

    My first game jam experience!

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 11:44 AM PDT

    personal or student unity

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 11:31 AM PDT

    they are both free but which one is better?

    submitted by /u/sketchyroyboy
    [link] [comments]

    Making a new type of plateform, something swinging. Im going to do the samething i did with the lantern and ask for options and any tip of criticism. So? What do you think.

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 11:20 AM PDT

    Portable 3D Game Dev Environment - Any suggestions?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 11:19 AM PDT

    I'm currently considering the Macbook Pro 16, the new Dell XPS 15 or the Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 2. They all have dedicated integrated graphics and I don't really want a behemoth laptop either. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm planning on getting a beefy desktop later on.

    submitted by /u/GetThatTuttiFrutti
    [link] [comments]

    I need some advice please

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 07:32 AM PDT

    I've been thinking about starting to make a game, i dont know a lot of things about game development but i got some bit of knowledge. I just wanted to know if what is considered to ambitious and if i was to make an openworld game would it be necessary to have a team? Thx for reading

    submitted by /u/Angor-rot
    [link] [comments]

    Time travel game idea... (Silly idea had)

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 11:16 AM PDT

    Create a game where the in game world has changes or nuances in it based on a predictive algorithm that gives time traveling players the illusion of choice. The changes exist before the player actually goes back in time, however because it's based on a predictive algorithm (game play style, fair choices made, character build, ect.) Those changes won't be consistent for other play through's. The system will even provide an illusion of choice at the moment the action is made, however the players actions well in advance will actually set that choice into motion. It would take a lot of slick writing and story-boarding as well as game play and level design to make it feel seamless. The best part is, as you get deeper into the game, the path is more fixed and the player becomes some what aware of things, they will try and change them only to fail over and over. Thus learning the futility of changing a future they simply know as their past.

    submitted by /u/MorRobots
    [link] [comments]

    How do game studios have multiple devs working on the same project?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 10:37 AM PDT

    Hey guys, I want to start making a game with a couple of my friends, but in having trouble figuring out how we would be able to access and change project all at the same time (online). How do you guys do it? Is it engine specific?

    submitted by /u/Damo108
    [link] [comments]

    Starting to Develop at 25?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 06:19 PM PDT

    Long story short I'm 25 years old. I spent the last five years of my time chasing a career that I did not want. When it came time to accept this career choice, Corona struck and stripped this career away from me.

    I only chose this career path because it was promised a lot of money and stability.

    I never truly wanted it

    Here I am five years later with neither of those.

    It was my dream since I was a kid to work in Game Development and Animation.

    I never chased after this dream because I was told I could never make any money at all from it and to choose the safer route.

    Well, I chose the safer route and I failed.

    Is 25 to late to learn how to Game Develop?

    I just ordered a laptop from Best Buy and it's coming on Friday and I've never been more excited for anything in my life.

    Could I have some recommendations for programs? Im looking into using Unreal.

    Thank you, much love

    submitted by /u/VeganDrake
    [link] [comments]

    Need help creating Sonic 2's physics

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 10:27 AM PDT

    Need help creating Sonic 2's physics

    I'm a beginner and i'm really lost trying to create sonic's physics. I'm trying to create this part from the sonic's physics guide shown in the gif. I'm having trouble aligning the bottom of sonic or his y-position to the surface of tiles so he doesn't go through them. Right now i have the height masks for the tiles. example: This height mask, for example, has the height array 0 0 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6 6 7 8 9 9 9, and the angle 33.75° ($E8). The height mask is the Array_Value, that i have in my gif. One of my issues is calculating what height array to use. example: Which value of the height array is used? Subtract the tile's X position from the sensor's X position. The result is the index of the height array to use. The Array_Number that I have in my gif is which height array that needs to be used. The tile i have is 64 pixels in width and 64 pixels in height. The Array_Number goes from 0 to 64. Any value of 0 to 64 returns Array_Value which is the height array to be used. The problem I'm having is getting all of this to work I don't think i'm doing this right since sonic can still go through the tiles if i go fast none of it works like I want it.

    From Sonic's Physics Guide

    My Project

    submitted by /u/Darkbehindflatgames
    [link] [comments]

    So proud to announce my biggest Interview yet - learn the story behind Mohawk Games and what lead to the creation of their latest game, Old World

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 10:18 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment