• Breaking News

    Friday, July 17, 2020

    CompSci Weekend SuperThread (July 17, 2020) Computer Science

    CompSci Weekend SuperThread (July 17, 2020) Computer Science


    CompSci Weekend SuperThread (July 17, 2020)

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 06:04 PM PDT

    /r/compsci strives to be the best online community for computer scientists. We moderate posts to keep things on topic.

    This Weekend SuperThread provides a discussion area for posts that might be off-topic normally. Anything Goes: post your questions, ideas, requests for help, musings, or whatever comes to mind as comments in this thread.

    Pointers

    • If you're looking to answer questions, sort by new comments.
    • If you're looking for answers, sort by top comment.
    • Upvote a question you've answered for visibility.
    • Downvoting is discouraged. Save it for discourteous content only.

    Caveats

    • It's not truly "Anything Goes". Please follow Reddiquette and use common sense.
    • Homework help questions are discouraged.
    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Neural Networks

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 12:45 AM PDT

    Major Quantum Computing Advance Made Obsolete by Teenager

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 05:44 AM PDT

    What can I do for 10 hrs/week to improve my chances of getting into a MS in CS?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 03:01 PM PDT

    Hi all. I'm cross-posting this here because I've seen similar questions get answered here while searching so fingers crossed that someone can help me out. I'm applying to MS CS programs in the USA this year, to start in Fall 2021 and I'd like to know what I can do over the next 4 months to improve my profile for the schools I'm interested in.

    To be blunt about it: I have a 340/340 GRE and a 4.0 GPA so far (and I graduated in the top 10% of my previous MS in Economics), but that's about it. I don't have any research experience or relevant work experience. Two of my letters of rec are from professors from my previous Economics BS & MS degrees, and the third is from an instructor in the CS post-bacc I'm taking now. I'll be about halfway through my post-bacc by the time I apply, so I won't have all the courses on my transcript, although I should graduate before Fall 2021.

    I originally studied a BS and MS in Economics in the UK, where I'm from (these are from top 'brand-name' universities if that matters). Long story short I realised that I'm much more into CS and started an online post-bacc in CS from a top 70 state school in the USA so I could meet the prereqs for a CS masters program.

    So - I have 10hrs/week spare for 4 months to do something that could improve my application. Would any of the following help?

    • Cold reach out to professors around me and offer voluntary research assistant services (unlikely to work but would help the most I guess?)
    • Part-time dev internship/job (something to write about in the SOP?)
    • My own side projects (something to write about in the SOP, but probably the least useful?)
    • ???

    I also have no clue what kind of schools I can get into - are any of the following even realistic for me?

    • USC MS in CS - I hear they're grade-focused so probably my best bet
    • UCLA MS in CS
    • Northeastern MS in CS
    • NYU MS in CS (Tandon or Courant)
    • Rice MS in CS

    Thanks anyone who can offer some advice!

    submitted by /u/GlassSculpture
    [link] [comments]

    The latest in image-to-image translation!

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 08:55 PM PDT

    Vue JS Vs React JS

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 12:05 AM PDT

    How to store a password without actually storing it?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 12:32 PM PDT

    You need to store a password, and use it later.

    You can't hash it, as you won't be able to use it later. If you encrypt, then you need to store the key. which brings us back to the original problem. You need to store the key somewhere.

    Theoretically it seems impossible to not store some kind of plaintext password (brain/machine/world etc)

    Now, there must be some proof for this. But i can't seem to find it.

    Am i missing something simple?

    submitted by /u/Queasy-Vanilla
    [link] [comments]

    [N] Poorly-Explained NeurIPS 2020 Desk-Rejects Peeve ML Researchers

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 11:56 AM PDT

    Many researchers awaiting a decision on whether their papers would make it to this year's NeurIPS conference received word this week — but the notifications have provoked more questions than they answered. NeurIPS desk-rejects (papers passed over without review) has become "a super noisy process," complains a post in the Reddit Machine Learning group.

    Here is a quick read: Poorly-Explained NeurIPS 2020 Desk-Rejects Peeve ML Researchers

    submitted by /u/Yuqing7
    [link] [comments]

    How do you know if you should major in Compsci?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 09:52 AM PDT

    I am a rising high school senior. I am interested in programming. But Bugs bug me a lot. It is so frustrating at times. Also some of my classmates already knows a lot of algorithms and stuff, while I just stare at their face. However, the feeing you get after you debug feels like worth it.

    submitted by /u/maharajhaider
    [link] [comments]

    Business or Economics Minor Fits Better With Computer Science?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 06:06 AM PDT

    Hello all,

    I thought my question may get answered here, if it is the wrong place please let me know.

    For someone who is studying computer science in europe and will most likely stay in europe, which minor would you suggest and why, a minor in business or a minor in economics?

    submitted by /u/Dawedef
    [link] [comments]

    New #secretlab chair

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 04:39 PM PDT

    Uses Of Excel | List Of Top 8 Uses Of Microsoft Excel

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 09:42 AM PDT

    if I take a single course from a Coursera integrated course program, do I earn a certificate?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 09:00 AM PDT

    Sorry if this isn't the right subreddit, I wasn't sure where to ask.

    submitted by /u/GlassesLunes
    [link] [comments]

    HTML vs CSS

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 05:18 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment