• Breaking News

    Monday, July 13, 2020

    Over the last 24 hours, my brother and I held a mini-hackathon. We built a web scraping bot that,given a subreddit, timeframe, and amount of posts to scrape, searches the title of each post on that sub, counts how often each word occurs, and scores each word based on upvotes. Checkout the data! Computer Science

    Over the last 24 hours, my brother and I held a mini-hackathon. We built a web scraping bot that,given a subreddit, timeframe, and amount of posts to scrape, searches the title of each post on that sub, counts how often each word occurs, and scores each word based on upvotes. Checkout the data! Computer Science


    Over the last 24 hours, my brother and I held a mini-hackathon. We built a web scraping bot that,given a subreddit, timeframe, and amount of posts to scrape, searches the title of each post on that sub, counts how often each word occurs, and scores each word based on upvotes. Checkout the data!

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 06:32 PM PDT

    USC vs NYU for undergrad

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 12:41 AM PDT

    I recently got accepted to USC's CS+BA Program (Viterbi) and NYU's CS+economics Program (CAS). NYU is ranked higher than USC this year but I heard USC has one of the best alumni network in the world. Also, which location would be better for a software engineer — LA or NY? My main priority here is the ROI in getting a degree from the particular school and internship opportunities.

    Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

    submitted by /u/msymple
    [link] [comments]

    git Cheatsheet

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 12:18 AM PDT

    Interview prep

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 11:18 PM PDT

    Does anyone want to practice interview questions with me ? I just started doing Leetcode problems. I am preparing for internships

    submitted by /u/dinkenflecher
    [link] [comments]

    Algorithms and data structures in SQL (or relational algebra)?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 04:09 PM PDT

    1. Most books describe algorithms and data structures in imperative languages, either procedural or OO languages.

    2. There is a book that does so in functional languages: "Purely Functional Data Structures" by Okasaki. It is in my to read list.

    3. I feel it easy to handle simple queries by FROM...WHERE...SELECT in SQL, but I sometimes have difficulty in formulating complicated queries in SQL (or relational algebra), such as those involving subqueries, and I feel it is more natural to formulate the queries in imperative languages by using recursion, induction or iteration. I was wondering if I should improve my knowledge in data structures and algorithms or design patterns in SQL (or relational algebra)? What books can help me?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/timlee126
    [link] [comments]

    Top 5 Reasons to Learn Multiple Programming Languages

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Interest in joining a Slack / Discord Group to study: CS50x, ALGS200x and ALGS201x?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 06:34 PM PDT

    Which is more valuable if one were to just one have in CS: a Master's degree or a Bachelor's Degree?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 04:52 PM PDT

    In this article, an HR professional (MIT graduate) says that a Master's degree (with no CS BS) is a strong indicator of poor technical interviews because all the CS fundamentals are taught at the undergrad level. So are BS are more valuable than MS degrees in CS, assuming the person has only one or the other?

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2013/05/09/how-different-is-a-b-s-in-computer-science-from-an-m-s-when-it-comes-to-recruiting/#5330c0a5254c

    submitted by /u/LetsEndSuffering
    [link] [comments]

    How Do You Become a Computer Programmer?

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 01:11 AM PDT

    Segment Tree and Binary Indexed Tree

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 09:11 AM PDT

    Is there any recommended way to learn about computational geometry for processing interval? My goal is to master the topic so I can use it to solve some leetcode questions.

    I see there are some amount of leetcode questions about interval processing:

    For example, segment tree and Binary Indexed Tree.

    https://leetcode.com/problems/my-calendar-ii/discuss/232261/Simple-and-Optimal-Segment-Tree-Solution

    and also the following topics: https://leetcode.com/tag/line-sweep/ https://leetcode.com/tag/binary-indexed-tree/ https://leetcode.com/tag/segment-tree/

    submitted by /u/chakpongchung
    [link] [comments]

    halting problem for someone who learned computer hands-on

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 05:59 AM PDT

    So the text about the halting problem told me that I first need to understand why there is no bijection between real numbers and integers. So I tried to understand that. I first had learned coding and then math. So I know bits. I can use bits to store an integer als a binary number. For a larger number I need more bits.

    So real numbers are used to describe a fraction. So I have a whole cake, or I have the alpha channel in a texel or I LINERP, I need fractions with enough precision so that it looks good or no one can complain about a too small peace of cake. So I divide the 1 into halves recursively and store in my bits if I use the upper or lower half. The better the precision the more bits I need. Real numbers, numbers that measure something in reality always have a precision ( see engineering and physics).

    (Then there are fractions, where we interlace the bits of the nominator and the denominator in the bitstream.)

    So my problem is that for the halting problem I am supposed to use all different binary (64 for example) bit patterns as headings for columns and rows each. Then I should place the row heading in the instruction storage of the Harvard architecture and the column heading in the data storage. Then start the program.

    The mathematical proof assumes that I use multiple processors to run all programs/data combinations at the same time. When a processor stops, it sends a message over the network and the cell of the table (on my dashboard) is marked.
    So we have all bit patterns already used as headings, but the mathematical proof then assumes that we have not. So we start with a contradicting and then
    ...
    The proof is about infinite number of bit systems (what does that even mean?)
    ...
    then we end at an contradiction (wonder over wonder) and now know that the Java.exe can not detect the endlessLoop.java ??

    If I calculate the square root I get an infinite series of (binary) digits with no repeating patterns. I just do not understand what this has to do with the halting problem.

    submitted by /u/IQueryVisiC
    [link] [comments]

    Java vs Python

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 07:52 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment