• Breaking News

    Friday, July 31, 2020

    Is there any hope for getting work as a self-taught programmer? Ask Programming

    Is there any hope for getting work as a self-taught programmer? Ask Programming


    Is there any hope for getting work as a self-taught programmer?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 08:33 PM PDT

    I have a portfolio site with over a dozen small arcade games and a few other projects like a bot and the start of some dude on discord who paid me to make a server for his mmo that never happened. The projects are in languages like Java, C#, JS, C++, and the site alone is pretty nice to look at as far as CSS goes. And it isn't just some tutorial code, i enjoy making games and there's usage of file i/o, A* and other uses of path finding, competence in git, and general signs of a code base that can scale and be returned to. I'm 19 so my only other job exp are helper jobs at warehouses. I don't want to end up in debt through uni just so i can relearn the basics that not even my friend with a 2 year degree in CS understands.

    Everywhere i apply either doesn't respond or gives the generic "we're looking for other candidates" response. Also got a "Java isn't interesting". My portfolio site has source code but they're downloads links to a zip file holding the source code. Is it because it's not all on github? I can understand them being too lazy to extract and browse the source if the portfolio doesn't have AAA experience on it. I've heard of people online who have gotten jobs from just tutorial code and barely knowing the basics. I'm not some code guru obviously, but programming games is what i love and has been my hobby almost half my life. I'd honestly be happy if I got garbage pay but still got consistent software development work that I could combine with a part time job to pay the bills.

    I can always take another career path and do discord short-term work and side projects in my free time, but it just sucks I put so much time into making things and getting better over the years at the cost of having a social life and I can't make much off it.

    I'm going to make a github with all of my work and try applying to places again, but other than that I'm not sure what else I can do to get my foot in the door.

    submitted by /u/deagleaim
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to earn a little money by coding during my free time?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 06:15 AM PDT

    Hi. I'm a student and I'm currently in holidays until September. My area of study is quite different from a programmer, however I've already used Python and Caml last years. I have a lot of free time and I know that when I will go back to school, I will still have some time to code. I would like to know if it is possible for me to learn how to use a "trendy" language / framework and then earn A LITTLE money when I have free time. By little, I mean something like 50€ each month for example. However, I dont really know how the "hiring" system works so I dont even know if what I'm looking for is possible. Maybe nobody will hire me if I dont work full time ? Maybe the market is already completely saturated ? Could you tell me more about it please ? Thanks

    submitted by /u/Anonyme71
    [link] [comments]

    What's a good starting salary for an entry level position?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 07:43 PM PDT

    I'm applying for a job at target and they want to know what my expected salary is for an entry level software engineering job; I don't know what I should say to not undercut myself but not ruin my chances by getting too greedy.

    submitted by /u/RoadTheExile
    [link] [comments]

    Memory alocation? Memory Segmetacion?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 09:07 PM PDT

    One of my proyects this semester is simulate a disk in a binary file. and part of this is simulate 4 partition and one of them can be and extended partition.they give you a property and this can be first fit, best fit, worst fit. while this simulation advance, each of this partition can be activated and you can give them an especific size and also the partitions can increase or decrease its size. my question is: how can i know where this partitions starts(number of byte) to make sure that the partitions can increase or decrease its size. all this depending of the fit property

    submitted by /u/Ivannn97
    [link] [comments]

    What kind of specs should I look for in laptops for coding?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 08:43 PM PDT

    Edit: I forgot to mention - Also Unity game designing?

    submitted by /u/OMWasap
    [link] [comments]

    How do you create version names?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 05:37 PM PDT

    Straight up question at the bottom:

    So, I have wondered this for a while now. Everything from game patches to simple update names.

    What in the world does one mean when they say "Version 1.2.3"? Or such? What changes are they measuring to determine the version names? For example, one day I decide to add a method to my program. Would that be considered a "Version 1.2.4" change? Would it be a whole new "Version 1.3.0" change? What does each digit signify? Maybe a push to Github would be a good way to symbolize it. I am still very curious as to how to adjust version names based upon the current progress of the program.

    In general, how do you make informative and reasonable numerical version names for each change that you make to a program?

    submitted by /u/0x5A6564
    [link] [comments]

    What is the BigO of simplest possible form of cryptocurrency, which is basically a calculator that exists on u number of users' screens and each has a button to move an integer (up to the total money is an integer of b bits) from them to any chosen user.

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 05:30 PM PDT

    This has other costs, such as making an ever increasing number of users u's amount of money searchable and constraint-able (to not go negative), and maybe also other costs, but hopefully there is some well-definable BigO which if that computing cost is paid on average by all involved then it will be efficient computed, outperforming the competition. What is the BigO of the simplest possible cryptocurrency in general, and most importantly, why do you claim it is that BigO instead of some smaller BigO?

    submitted by /u/BenRayfield
    [link] [comments]

    Should models know crud?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 01:22 PM PDT

    Playing with ideas at the moment.

    I'm using blazor. So, c# all the way down.

    On the client side, I'm considering writing an interface that consists of crud methods and then for each model class inheriting the interface. Is there anything wrong with going this route?

    Currently, I have one class for a single microservice that is split into partial classes, one for each model with the methods in there.

    Is there another option?

    submitted by /u/OldNewbProg
    [link] [comments]

    I got literally 0 Experience and want to mine game files

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 04:16 PM PDT

    I dont know if this is the right place to ask this, but i hope someone can help me. I really know nothing about this and could use some help/guide on how to access game files to look at the ingame models closer etc. I was browsing google a lot but couldnt really find anything except a youtube video that told me i can use UE Viewer. After following the instructions, i came to a point where the programm told me it needs an AES-encryption key.

    How can i get that key? is there a simple instruction i can follow or should i learn programming to achieve it?

    Or should i go for a different method?

    submitted by /u/Itami_Kirai
    [link] [comments]

    Problem using React transitions with React Router

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 04:12 PM PDT

    I am trying to do a fade transition with React Router but the previous component doesn't unmount before the next component is rendered. My code is below:

    https://codesandbox.io/s/elated-leavitt-dbvbo?file=/src/App.js:0-1495

    submitted by /u/j0rdancodes
    [link] [comments]

    Sieve of Eratosthenes in JavaScript

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 12:25 PM PDT

    function sumPrimes(num) { let sieve = [], i, j, primes = []; for (i = 2; i <= num; ++i) { if (!sieve[i]) { primes.push(i); for (j = i << 1; j <= num; j += i) { sieve[j] = true; } } } return primes; 

    }

    I dont understand what if (!sieve[i]) is doing, what is the condition? Is it that we are checking for all the elements that are not in sieve and if they are not, then we push them into primes array? I tried to run this bit isolated:

    let sieve = [2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]; 

    let primes = [];

    for (i = 2; i <= 10; i++) { if (!sieve[i]) { primes.push(i); } } console.log(primes)

    and it returns [9, 10] which doesnt really make much of a sense to me if it is supposed to look for elements that are NOT in the sieve array and push them to the primes array.

    The second part I'm confused about is the inner (second) loop:

    for (j = i << 1; j <= num; j += i) { sieve[j] = true; 

    }

    We are basically multiplying i by 2 and assigning it to j, we keep iterating as long as j is less than or equal to num and each iteration we add i to j. I also struggle to realize what is sieve[j] = true doing here?

    submitted by /u/25andcantdoalgebra
    [link] [comments]

    How do you tap a TCP connection?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 02:55 PM PDT

    Alice binds her IP to a socket, listens to an incoming connection from Bob, and sends and receives some bytes to and from Bob, unencrypted. How does Eve listen?

    Can I write some code that lets me, a third-party, observe bytes sent between two IP addresses? Or is this an engineering problem, where I'd need physical access to optic fibres or listen to radio waves?

    submitted by /u/XiPingTing
    [link] [comments]

    How difficult is it to train a neural network to perform autogenerated captioning?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 09:11 AM PDT

    I have noticed that there's no live captioning in youtube for Latin. I'm learning the language and I'm also interested in getting involved in an AI project, so I'd like to know how difficult would it be to train a neural network to do this. Any insights?

    submitted by /u/kakazao3
    [link] [comments]

    How do I send a digest auth request using curl?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 12:39 PM PDT

    While searching for a guide I found this example on Wikipedia

    GET /dir/index.html HTTP/1.0 Host: localhost Authorization: Digest username="Mufasa", realm="testrealm@host.com", nonce="dcd98b7102dd2f0e8b11d0f600bfb0c093", uri="/dir/index.html", qop=auth, nc=00000001, cnonce="0a4f113b", response="6629fae49393a05397450978507c4ef1", opaque="5ccc069c403ebaf9f0171e9517f40e41" 

    (it would be great if there is a tool/site that converts requests from this form raw requests to curl command)

    this the realm and nonce when I try to send a normal get request to the site.

    WWW-Authenticate: Digest realm="device1",nonce="3c5d8f92f03d9f1afd5dd55a7b172ee8", qop="auth", algorithm="MD5" 

    the response but from a network capture screen shot

    After searching online again for a little bit I got that the command should be like this

    curl "url" --digest -u {username}:{pass} -vv -d @4.xml -H "Content-Type: text/xml;charset=utf-8" 

    but I didn't get where to put the nonce or the realm or the qop or algorithm="MD5"

    while the .xml file contain the post data (in my case it's a soap action)

    submitted by /u/noonotagain
    [link] [comments]

    Are digital lookup tables (LUTs) copyright-able in the US?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 11:37 AM PDT

    (This is cross-posted to /r/legaladvice)

    Greetings,

    Elecrophoretic (e-paper) displays often use a .fw "waveform" file[1], generated by a tool, for driving the displays. This waveform file is a lookup table (LUT) of timings, voltages, and temperatures for driving a panel of specific electrical characteristics.

    Since it seems this LUT is not created as a form of art (being auto-generated) and it is also a raw representation of driving properties, my gut tells me this isn't copyrightable because facts can't be copyrighted.

    Could some copyright lawyers, or perhaps patent lawyers, please weight in? Can these waveform files be freely shared, and do they belong to the public domain?

    Thanks.

    [1]: NXP. "6.2.6.1.2.4: EPDC Waveform Loading." I.MX Reference Manual. Rev. L4.9.88_2.0.0-ga ed., 2018, pp. 216-18, www.nxp.com/docs/en/reference-manual/i.MX_Reference_Manual_Linux.pdf.

    submitted by /u/rmhack
    [link] [comments]

    How to "simulate" microphone input (in Python)

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 04:00 AM PDT

    Instead of me talking into the microphone I want my python script to "talk" my wav into the mic. Either I'm too stupid to formulate my question correctly, or there are actually no example scripts on the first search page.

    So far I tried to tinker with a "virtual sound device" but then discovered that every sound device has also a "monitor" of itself which made me even more confused.

    I just want to select a input sound device in a web app and play my sounds with my python script...

    submitted by /u/ApprehensiveAd4990
    [link] [comments]

    Waht do you think about VS code?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 09:57 AM PDT

    I am relatively new to programming and I never saw anyone in tutorials use VS code while I really like it so I wanted to ask you guys what do you think about it?

    submitted by /u/I_bims_1_Mensch
    [link] [comments]

    Culling SQL Data for display in highgraph?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 09:13 AM PDT

    Hello! I am working on a page for my website, that takes measurements from an ESP32 every 60 seconds, and sends it to a SQL table, which is finally pulled through some PHP, and displayed on an html page through the highchart and highchart stocks JS library. I've adapted the system from this tutorial: https://randomnerdtutorials.com/visualize-esp32-esp8266-sensor-readings-from-anywhere/ .

    I want to have buttons that change the range of the chart: to do this I want to take all my points, and average them into a smaller number of points, displayable on the graph.

    E.G. for an hour range, I'd display points at 3 min intervals, or for a 24h range, I'd display points at an hour interval.

    The hiccup is: I don't have much knowledge on web programming, and I'd like to know what language should I use? Where I should put this code?

    //example for an hour range. warning: could use some tweaking! values = [get values from PHP]; rows = values.length; //number of original datapoints interval = 3; //number of times 60 secs fit in the interval on the chart points = (rows-(rows%interval))/interval; //restrict the new values to full intervals newValues = []; for (i=0; i<points; i++) { total = 0; for (u=0; u<interval; u++) { total = total+values[i*3+u]; } let newArray = newValues.unshift(total/interval); } 

    This is the PHP code I'm using to visualize the data in a browser, adapted from Rui Santos' from https://RandomNerdTutorials.com

    /* Rui Santos Complete project details at https://RandomNerdTutorials.com Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files. The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software. */ <?php $servername = "localhost"; // REPLACE with your Database name $dbname = "lucadona_esp_data"; // REPLACE with Database user $username = "lucadona_esp"; // REPLACE with Database user password $password = "passwordforesp666"; // Create connection $conn = new mysqli($servername, $username, $password, $dbname); // Check connection if ($conn->connect_error) { die("Connection failed: " . $conn->connect_error); } $sql = "SELECT id, value1, value2, reading_time FROM DHT11_Sensor order by reading_time desc limit 200"; $result = $conn->query($sql); while ($data = $result->fetch_assoc()){ $sensor_data[] = $data; } $readings_time = array_column($sensor_data, 'reading_time'); // ******* Uncomment to convert readings time array to your timezone ******** $i = 0; foreach ($readings_time as $reading){ // Uncomment to set timezone to - 1 hour (you can change 1 to any number) //$readings_time[$i] = date("Y-m-d H:i:s", strtotime("$reading - 1 hours")); // Uncomment to set timezone to + 4 hours (you can change 4 to any number) $readings_time[$i] = date("Y-m-d H:i:s", strtotime("$reading + 8 hours")); $i += 1; } $value1 = json_encode(array_reverse(array_column($sensor_data, 'value1')), JSON_NUMERIC_CHECK); $value2 = json_encode(array_reverse(array_column($sensor_data, 'value2')), JSON_NUMERIC_CHECK); $reading_time = json_encode(array_reverse($readings_time), JSON_NUMERIC_CHECK); /*echo $value1; echo $value2; echo $reading_time;*/ $result->free(); $conn->close(); ?> <!DOCTYPE html> <html> <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1"> <script src="https://code.highcharts.com/stock/highstock.js"></script> <script src="https://code.highcharts.com/stock/modules/exporting.js"></script> <script src="https://code.highcharts.com/stock/modules/accessibility.js"></script> <style> body { min-width: 310px; max-width: 1280px; height: 500px; margin: 0 auto; } h2 { font-family: Arial; font-size: 2.5rem; text-align: center; } </style> <body> <h2>The Luca Network Weather Station</h2> <h3 style="text-align:center;margin-top:-30px;margin-bottom:40px;">Bringing you the weather, live from my room!</h3> <div id="chart-temperature" class="container"></div> <div id="chart-humidity" class="container"></div> <script> var value1 = <?php echo $value1; ?>; var value2 = <?php echo $value2; ?>; var reading_time = <?php echo $reading_time; ?>; var chartT = new Highcharts.Chart({ chart:{ renderTo : 'chart-temperature' }, title: { text: 'DHT11 Temperature' }, series: [{ showInLegend: false, data: value1 }], plotOptions: { line: { animation: false, dataLabels: { enabled: true } }, series: { color: '#059e8a' } }, xAxis: { max: 20, type: 'datetime', categories: reading_time, scrollbar: { enabled: true }, tickLength: 0, ordinal: false, }, yAxis: { min: -5, max: 50, title: { text: 'Temperature (Celsius)' }, //title: { text: 'Temperature (Fahrenheit)' } }, credits: { enabled: false } }); var chartH = new Highcharts.Chart({ chart:{ renderTo:'chart-humidity' }, title: { text: 'DHT11 Humidity' }, series: [{ showInLegend: false, data: value2 }], plotOptions: { line: { animation: false, dataLabels: { enabled: true } } }, xAxis: { max: 20, type: 'datetime', //dateTimeLabelFormats: { second: '%H:%M:%S' }, categories: reading_time, scrollbar: { enabled: true }, tickLength: 0, ordinal: false, }, yAxis: { min: 0, max: 100, title: { text: 'Humidity (%)' }, }, credits: { enabled: false } }); </script> </body> </html> 

    Thank you for your consideration!

    Hasmosis

    submitted by /u/Hasmosis
    [link] [comments]

    Critique My Voice Activated Teleprompter - Advice Appreciated!

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 08:59 AM PDT

    I programmed a bit of code at https://telepromptermirror.com/voice-activated-teleprompter/ and looking for advice on what features to add. Grateful for your suggestions!

    submitted by /u/kristabubblegum
    [link] [comments]

    how to find and replace words in vs code at the same time opening a split window consisting the unmodified version of the code which will show me what changes i make in real time?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 04:34 AM PDT

    suppose i want to change some words in my code, i can easily do that using vs code search feature but if I want to check what changes I am making in real-time like a comparison in a split window which will show me the changes I make to the code and compare it to the original code. is there any shortcuts or extention to do that?

    submitted by /u/randombrownmale
    [link] [comments]

    Electronics/Programming problem

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 07:48 AM PDT

    I need help at my electronics/programming project.

    I want to make a program that will calculate everything in a scheme with the node voltage method in matrix form.

    The problem is I don't know really how to do this.

    I want to translate this a scheme with this edges to the matrix A0.

    edges=[(1,2),(1,3),(2,3),(2,4),(3,4),(4,1)]

    A0=[

    [1,0,0,-1,1,0],

    [-1,1,1,0,0,0],

    [0,0,-1,1,0,-1],

    [0,-1,0,0,-1,1],

    ]

    Could someone tell me what algorithm or law to use in this situation or could someone program a function for me in C,C++ or Python.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Traditional-Sort-748
    [link] [comments]

    Event-driven Architecture book/material in spanish

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 07:21 AM PDT

    Hi guys,

    Majority of software engineering books are in english, latest editions in english and brand new material in english.

    Since English is not my primary language, I was wondering if you know about of any book related to event driven architecture or microservices architectures written in Spanish.

    I've been reading lots of material in english but in my case I read much more faster in Spanish. A book that I can take a week to read in Spanish might take me a month in English.

    I was wondering if you can recommend updated material written in Spanish?

    submitted by /u/fedepia
    [link] [comments]

    Is there anyone to contribute our drawing library?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 07:05 AM PDT

    Is networking under the umbrella of programming? Is there the same skills deficit in the job market?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 02:48 AM PDT

    I ask because through being the default tech guy at my work I've been learning a little about networking and have been learning a bit more in my free time. It's an area that I enjoy learning about.

    I'm currently in the early stages of teaching myself Python - out of general interest and as a possible career change option (especially as I hear a lot about there being demand for programmers). Are network engineers similarly sought after? Does their quality/standard of employment differ much?

    Thanks for your time :)

    edit: formatting

    submitted by /u/slane14
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment