• Breaking News

    Monday, July 20, 2020

    I made a little guy that's scared of your cursor! [C++/SDL]

    I made a little guy that's scared of your cursor! [C++/SDL]


    I made a little guy that's scared of your cursor! [C++/SDL]

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 02:27 AM PDT

    Hi Everyone! I recorded over 4 GB of new underwater sound effects with the Ambient ASF2 MK2 hydrophone in Iceland. Feel free to use these "unworldly" sounds in any of your productions. Greetings from currently Reykjavik, Marcel

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 04:33 PM PDT

    Idea: should we start our own Reddit Games Festival?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 07:31 AM PDT

    I've been talking to a few devs after Steam Games Festival and wondering what's next. There is PAX, IndieCade, etc.

    What if we started our own Reddit Games Festival? Could highlight a batch of new games every day, and perhaps collaborate with the mods on /r/gaming and other reddits.

    I wouldn't mind taking the lead on this. What do you guys all think?

    submitted by /u/daraand
    [link] [comments]

    Using Prim's Algorithm to Generate Continuous Cave Maps - Tutorial in comments

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 05:06 AM PDT

    Free Effect Column Pixel Art Effect! (Link in comment)

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 10:39 PM PDT

    Buoyancy and Island Generation! My source code is in the vid descrpt. (w/ sailing system). I love working on this stuff so i hope you enjoy the video of how its done and the code!

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 06:32 AM PDT

    Testing my Particle Effects Simulator

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 05:33 AM PDT

    Daughter looking to get into QA as a career

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 09:06 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    Apologies for the length of this post.

    Me and my daughter had a discussion last night about her passion and desire to work in Quality Assurance (be it as a games tester or software tester) and so I have come here looking for advice. During our conversation, I wrote down some notes to better understand her experience. Here's that information:

    • She's part of 'The Global Beta Testing Network'

    She's done this for around 5 years now and this is her main experience within the testing field.

    • She applied for Rockstar Games as a Games Tester a couple years back

    Unfortunately she didn't pass the video interview. I chopped this up to either not having a degree or lack of experience at the time.

    • Work experience placements

    After failing the interview, she tried getting work experience from gaming companies but nothing ever came of this.

    • After this the next logical step in her mind was to to create games and use these as examples

    Throughout the entire process of games development, she's enjoyed the QA process more than actually creating the games.

    • She offered her services on sites such as Fiverr

    This was successful to a certain degree, however she felt as though it wasn't helping her 'develop' in the way she thought it would (and also the fact that anyone can do that sorta thing).

    • University isn't an option as she's a firm believer that 'work experience' is more valuable than a university degree

    Adding on to this, nor I or her have the funds available for this option. Loans are out of the question as she doesn't want debt looming over her head either.

    This leads her to where she is today. In a 'slump' so to speak and doesn't know where to go from here. After this chat I decided to look into potential ways she could further her experience. Here's what I came away with:

    1. Would it be beneficial for her to obtain a 'Continuing Professional Development' certificate? Or would this hold no weight to a potential employer?
    2. Microsoft learn (certificates / courses). I'm not tech savvy so have no idea which courses or certificates relate to Quality Assurance. Would this be an ideal place to start? If so, which course(s) or certificates should she primarily focus on?
    3. Testing websites. Valuable or complete waste of time giving the vast amount of them?

    Any advice would be very much appreciated.

    Thank you for your time.

    submitted by /u/WhyTryGG
    [link] [comments]

    Photogrammetry workflow for surface scanning with the drone - Soil PBR Material

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 05:53 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    here is a new video where I show how I scanned the soil.

    As a last step I also presented another way for AO based delighting in Substance Designer.

    Suprisingly works really well. Hope someone finds something useful in here.

    Btw. I almsot lost my drone in this location when recording a b-roll for the workflow background. If anyone is interested just to see the crazy seagull please skip to the end :D

    Hope you enjoy it :)

    Cheers!

    https://youtu.be/i3TYuQTJedY

    submitted by /u/gbar76
    [link] [comments]

    Video Games and the Future of Education

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 02:59 AM PDT

    Looking for someone who wants to work on games together.

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 12:29 PM PDT

    Hello everyone, I'm a (very) amateur game dev, but I'm a quick study. I'm just looking for someone who'll chat on Discord, and work on the same project with me TBD. My username is CWE8#3242, message me to chat!

    submitted by /u/mtlk1989
    [link] [comments]

    When creating a home page background image for a game, What strategy is normally used to adapt the image the various screen aspect ratios?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 12:18 PM PDT

    I've heard one strategy is to cut the edges of the image to fit the screen. What should the size of my image be and how much extra space should I add to the edges of the image so that it doesn't cut off anything important?

    submitted by /u/Zoltie
    [link] [comments]

    Player Stamina Bar - Hack & Slash RPG in Unreal Engine 4

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 11:54 AM PDT

    We've created a new SFX pack ''Combat Sounds''

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 11:53 AM PDT

    Hello,

    We've created a SFX pack regarding combat sounds.

    You can check specific details here: https://www.gamedevmarket.net/asset/magic-weapons-sounds/

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/AudioAlchemist_
    [link] [comments]

    My Level Design Workflow

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 11:51 AM PDT

    Looking for articles / videos series that showcases a representative game from each genre

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 11:43 AM PDT

    I want to learn and experience characteristics of common game genres.So I'm looking for a resource that, through playable/buyable examples of games, it highlights the key unwritten rules for each genre.

    Sort of a in-depth premiere for aspiring game devs / designers / reviewers.

    I know I can do this through playing many different games, but I'm looking for a guided / educational approach.Blog/Video/Book etc

    submitted by /u/1998_best_year_ever
    [link] [comments]

    house assets with interiors

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 07:46 AM PDT

    Does anyone know if any content creator made unity building assets that can be entered? I'm looking in the asset store and I can't find anything

    submitted by /u/soulpunisher87
    [link] [comments]

    Best engine to make a Tetris like game?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 11:16 AM PDT

    Looking for recommendations. Just a simple 2D Tetris with some twists for a small project.

    submitted by /u/salad222777
    [link] [comments]

    Level design for horror game.

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 11:14 AM PDT

    Hello, im trying to make a simple first person view horror game. It would be one of my first games. Im stuck on the level design. I found a free asset pack but I don't know how to actually make a level look good. What do you do for your levels and designing?

    submitted by /u/ViolentNutSlaps
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a tool that helps accelerate my pixel art animation process

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 06:57 AM PDT

    Hi. I'm a programmer who just quit my job to make game. I have been working for 2 weeks and I spend most of the time doing animation for my main character. Since my game have a bunch of other character, this task would take a lot of time. I think there would be of some kind of tools that help generating animation sprite sheet from one single pixel art sprite (like maximo but pixel art sprite instead of 3D model). But I don't know if such thing exists or not. So, I would be appreciate if someone recommend something like that, or anything that help making animation faster.

    Thanks and good luck!

    submitted by /u/politely_rehanged
    [link] [comments]

    Is game industry bad as people say?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 10:17 AM PDT

    I am 17 and finished high school. Might go to college this year.I am passionate about making games. Already done 6 simple games. I want to be a game dev but a lot of articles and discussions say it's not really good. Overtime work hours, underpayment etc. I wonder if i should think about something else with my career. What are your thoughts on it?

    submitted by /u/Tr_black_soul
    [link] [comments]

    How'd you learn to program

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 09:53 AM PDT

    Give me your experience/background and your current level.... Would love to spread the wealth of knowledge.

    View Poll

    submitted by /u/hjscott7690
    [link] [comments]

    What kind of low poly assets you interested the most.

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 09:52 AM PDT

    Hai devs, artists, and everybody else. I'm a low poly artist and making free assets, and I'm interested in what kind of assets people interested in the most?

    I made a google form, so anybody could make a suggestion, and I'll try to make some of it. Every question is optional and answers are anonymous.

    Please, notify me is there is some critical issues, I'm still learning English.

    Reddit comment is fine too.

    submitted by /u/pava01_
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment