• Breaking News

    Monday, July 13, 2020

    Free Lightning Lines Pixel Art Effect! (Link in comment)

    Free Lightning Lines Pixel Art Effect! (Link in comment)


    Free Lightning Lines Pixel Art Effect! (Link in comment)

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 02:25 AM PDT

    Hey guys, a ton of people have been asking me how to sculpt stylized hair, so I've reached out to a fantastic artist who was kind enough to do an in-depth breakdown for everyone, for totally free. Enjoy guys.

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 06:16 AM PDT

    I've made a free shop system for Unity devs, enjoy! :)

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 06:05 AM PDT

    Black Game Developers Throughout History

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 10:38 AM PDT

    hey there I am a 16yo indie game dev, in the last 4 months I have been working on my survival crafting game, Survival evolution which is about showing how humans started inventing stuff like in dr.stone , would the fans of survival gaming be interested in that idea or you would like zombies?

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 11:40 AM PDT

    Use of free assets.

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 12:04 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I've started to work on a programmer portfolio with the goal of entering the game industry. Right now I'm using some free assets from the unity store and I'm starting to put a lot of hours into that project. I would like to eventually publish this game completely for free on some online platform like itch.io or even Steam if the game ends up being fun.

    Could this cause me any kind of trouble considering the game will be 100% free? Can someone ELI5 what "Extension Asset" unity store license means?

    Thanks in advanced!

    submitted by /u/Arlenishn
    [link] [comments]

    Getting started on a game / Effective workflow

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 11:53 AM PDT

    I have been programming for years and mostly know my way around Unity and using other software for making assets. Right now, I just have an idea for a game but I wonder what I should do first.

    I have heard of people writing up documents before writing any code about how the game should work. What things are important for such a document to contain?

    And what kind of development "landmarks" should I plot out afterwards?

    submitted by /u/Rayakaze
    [link] [comments]

    Lessons from my first Game Jam (GMTK2020)

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 02:23 AM PDT

    Greetings reddit !

    Last night my friend and I finished our first participation to a game jam. It was a rush, it was intense and the last hour was a fucking mess but in the end we managed to produce a (mostly) working puzzle game with a couple levels in the 48h given !

    It was a wonderful experience. It was only my second developped game and, having written 99% of the code for this one (my friend mostly focused on art and sfx which I cannot do for the life of me), I figured it would be interesting to do a short writeup about what were the biggest lessons this experience taught me.

    We spent the whole first night (from 21pm to 3am) just thinking about concept and gamedesign. This year's theme was Out Of Control. We settled for the idea of a puzzle game where you play a martian rover swarm AI that suddenly "wake up" to self-control and has to wrestle the human operator to reach a place (originally the farside of the planet) where satellite can't reach it and thus set him free. Originally this would unlock new self control (first the directions, then a pickup object action etc). Progression as such was scrapped due to time and we ended up with just directional controls.

    Game updates in ticks (to simulate the latency due to long distance) and the rover(the player) can only input between ticks which override the operator inputs. We thought the concept was really interesting, fitted the theme perfectly and could develop a nice narration

    • First lesson is therefore : Don't be afraid to spend a lot of time on GameDesign before starting. We were confident in our concept and therefore we could, over the course of the Jam drop *a lot* of ideas we wanted to implement without losing what made the idea interesting.

    It shall be noted that I don't particularly like designing and coding UI and am more comfortable developping systems. Therefore I focused first one that and totally ignored UI and Menus (which included the TitleScreen and the loading of different levels). This obviously blew up in our face when, 2hours before deadline we had no UI, no way to start and end the game and no level loader for progression. We implemented that as quick as we could, along other things needed still to be incorporated (sfx) and debugging. 40mn before deadline it exploded and nothing did work as we wanted, but we settle for a dirty "each level win panel can load the next level" instead of a singleton gamecontroller that kept track of where the player was.

    • Second lesson : Don't neglect what make games a useable software. I reckon I would have spared us a lot of stress and problems if I had developed menus and UI parallel to the systems development. This would have allowed us to upload a working (but really bugged) version a lot sooner that we could have uploaded as we made progress in the game.
    • Third lesson : It might be obvious to a lot of people here, but having a barebone UI asap can help debugging. UI are here to give useful information to the players, and some of these informations are also useful for understanding what the code is doing. No reason then to postpone the development of this for too long. In addition, interaction with UI, menus, levelloader and the game systems bring its own fair share of bug. Ex : The loading ate the first tick of every level. It's not gamebreaking but it's ugly. Fix is easy and quick but you literally have no time to implement it when you have 15mn left to build and upload the game (we submitted with only 3mn to spare).
    • Fourth lesson : No matter how neat and well organized you're used to making your code, "Jam's code" is always a ugly frankenstein you don't want anyone to see.
    • Fifth lesson : Time distorsion. That things is crazy. The first hours of the first day pass at an alarming rate. The last 4hours of the Jam were a crazy rush where I could do so much stuff in 10mn. The reason is probably because I kept checking my clock but I had the impression these hours were long af.
    • Sixth lesson : Last Minute Mindset is a powerful state of mind. I was amazed at how much things we did in these last hours and more amazed any of them were actually working. Hell I am still amazed we were able to submit anything, let alone something with nice arts, music, sfx etc.

    For anyone interested here are a few screenshots of the game development progress : https://imgur.com/a/Uc1QUQ8

    In the end this was a tremendous experience. I didn't learn a lot of technical stuff but I learned a lot about how to project managed and how to design. I am tired and excited but can't wait to do another jam (maybe not next week though :D).

    However, I am a little disappointed that we couldn't do our vision justice but also excited to maybe continue developping this game into something closer to our first vision.

    The link to the game if anyone is interested in playing it : https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-2020/rate/699929

    submitted by /u/kikuchad
    [link] [comments]

    Dynamic context-aware tileset system

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 10:26 AM PDT

    I'll cut right to the chase: you know how games like Terraria or Mario Maker dynamically change the looks of a certain tile based on the other surrounding tiles? I'm trying to implement that (raw pseudocode concept for the time being).

    The only approach that I can think of is calculating a unique numeral state for each tile based on it's 8 neighboring ones (1 or 0 for tile or lack thereof ) and assign a corresponding tile to use from the tileset.

    Problem is, that's a wooping 256 different combinations, which seems excessive and makes me think this approach/solution is extremely brute and non-elegant. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/jujujuju_me
    [link] [comments]

    How do you prevent yourself from getting burnt out on your game?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 11:08 PM PDT

    All I want to do is work on my game but it seems like I can't do it for more than a few hours at a time before I feel burned out. Especially when I spend days getting a system to work properly and I'm able to lean back and be proud of myself, I still want to take time off from making it.

    submitted by /u/EpicBlueDrop
    [link] [comments]

    Question: are there any better tools for developing Pixelated UI / UI in a Pixel Game?

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 07:52 AM PDT

    The artist in question thinks that creating pixel art in photoshop is ok, but she keeps thinking there's a better way to do it. Anyone out there feel the same way? Any tools to help with Pixel Art UI production?

    submitted by /u/MrMunday
    [link] [comments]

    Holograms in Unity Shader Graph and URP

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 10:02 AM PDT

    Lost Motivation

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 07:36 AM PDT

    So sorry if this gets a little heavy, but I'm not sure how else to present my issue. To begin with, one of my life goals is to finish a project. Just anything, really. Just want to finish something before I'm dead. However, I just can't seem to find the motivation or time to work on anything. Between work, college, and balancing relationships, it seems like I can only get small snippets of work done (I work second-shift, and that's difficult enough on its own). After a few days of being away from a project, I can feel my enthusiasm just draining away. Normal life takes so much energy I don't have a lot left, especially not to be creative and try to make the best quality product I possibly can. I've started so many projects I don't even know whether to go back to them or just start fresh with something new. Plus, I've tried to collaborate with several people and they always just wind up fizzling out and stop providing me with assets (graphics, music, etc.). Anymore it just seems like a waste of time. I enjoy it, don't get me wrong... but sacrificing relationships and good grades just to get one aspect functioning or to produce just a few minutes of gameplay? I dunno guys. Should I just stop until I have more free time? Or is this just a normal part of the process? I find myself increasingly jealous of people who are fortunate enough to be in a position to just dump hours and hours into development. The whole thing is very disheartening and I've honestly just stopped working on things because I get depressed when I have a project that I can't work on as opposed to just having NO creative goals and coasting through life and normal responsibilities. I.e., "don't have dreams or goals and you'll never be disappointed." Cynical, I know. Anyway, rant over. Sorry for the long post.

    submitted by /u/Omnislash_VII
    [link] [comments]

    Could (in theory) games be made to run without an os/bare metal?

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 09:13 AM PDT

    I have been thinking about the fact that there doesn't seem to be any games doing that, even tho in theory it could give better performance (as there wouldn't be any background processes).

    Is this possible and if it is, what would be the advantages/disadvantages and why is nobody doing it?

    submitted by /u/Janne-L
    [link] [comments]

    Collisiion detection in breakout.

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 12:32 PM PDT

    Hi devs. I trying implement breakout clone without any libraries. So, I use AABB algotithm for detecting collision ball-brick. Now I should determinate from which side collision occured. I think I should use dot product. There is some advises how todo that?

    submitted by /u/ShvaYYYkO
    [link] [comments]

    Low Poly Portal Scene | Model Link In The Video Description

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 08:42 AM PDT

    I made an... interesting Mr Blue Sky parody... about Unity's sky boxes.

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 12:18 PM PDT

    BrokenPin | https://avabucks.itch.io/brokenpin

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 12:05 PM PDT

    Why games push podcast

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 11:54 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I'm creating a short podcast series (2-4 episodes) on why games push and I'm looking for developers and producers that have worked on AAA games to share their insights (and hopefully some good stories) on the topic. I've created a short survey (link below) to gather some general information on the topic, so if you're open to it, click the link and take the survey. Please be assured that all information will remain anonymous.

    Thanks in advance for your help and please feel free to share the survey with anyone in game development that you may know.

    https://forms.gle/9Dppx4Ybnjo3r1TJ6

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/gamesaypodcast
    [link] [comments]

    Laptop vs desktop for animation /vfx and game dev (advice)

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 11:35 AM PDT

    So I really wanted to buy a desktop for game Dev and animation ( as I m doing ba in animation and multimedia) so my elder brother told me to buy a laptop but I really wanted to buy PC and I stuck in this loop .so any one give me advice on the topic Please tell me some pros of PC so that I can outrun my bro ..😅 just kidding tell me the best advice and reasons please.

    submitted by /u/antipinno
    [link] [comments]

    Phaser WebGL game snake

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 10:35 AM PDT

    What is the most appealing and unappealing aspect of your favourite game. Asking this for research.

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 01:18 AM PDT

    I am still kind of new to this and also 14 so pleas refrain from using complicated words.

    submitted by /u/widavee
    [link] [comments]

    VR Playground - Episode 06 - Finale

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 09:46 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment