• Breaking News

    Monday, July 20, 2020

    Dreams do come true. web developers

    Dreams do come true. web developers


    Dreams do come true.

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 07:06 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    After about 3 years of learning how to code on my own, countless hours of tutorials and struggle, heart-ache and rejections.

    I landed my first web developer job today.

    I want to thank this community for helping me along the way, answering my questions. I'm more of a lurker but I just wanted to post this to thank you all.

    I really love this community and the people in it.

    I'll see you online!

    submitted by /u/davidjpoulton
    [link] [comments]

    Meet Face ID and Touch ID for the web

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 11:09 AM PDT

    Vanilla JS vs Angular for a performance dependent SPA/PWA?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 01:50 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    I was planning to start developing a production app with Angular today (i'm fairly experienced in it), but ran into some articles today after doing further research that got me thinking, like these:

    https://timkadlec.com/remembers/2020-04-21-the-cost-of-javascript-frameworks/ https://aerotwist.com/blog/the-cost-of-frameworks/

    Basically, both state that vanilla JS is far superior in terms of initial load and performance.

    My app is heavily dependent on performance so i'm thinking of just doing it in Vanilla JS, the problem is, i only did minor personal projects in it so i'm very rusty/inexperienced. I'm willing to watch an in-depth course and implement something before hand though.

    Experienced webdevs of reddit, what would you do?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Amidone97
    [link] [comments]

    Have you heard of the 'onbeforeunload' event?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 04:37 AM PDT

    Storybook Controls - Live edit UI components with no code

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 07:56 AM PDT

    How do you sell your React, Vue, Angular components?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 01:24 PM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    My question is for those who are creating and selling components. There are huge libraries like KendoUI as well as specialized libraries doing one function like Froala.

    I wonder how do you sell your components, using your own website, or Envato, or some markets?

    I'm asking because my friend has an idea for several components but he is still not sure how he would sell them and I can't help him because I don't know either.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/K_Rains
    [link] [comments]

    5 things you DON'T need to start coding

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 04:02 PM PDT

    5 things you don't need to start coding

    1. a CS degree- there are so many bootcamp grads and self-taught devs out there that the true value of a CS degree nowadays is the built-in network you get at a university rather than just the coding skills
    2. be a math genius- not every field that involves coding (ex. web development) is all about complex calculations
    3. expensive equipment- 99% of movie hackers have a 10-monitor setup to "hack the mainframe" but IRL if you're spending tons of money on supplies you're doing it wrong
    4. expertise at just one thing- having a very specialized skillset can actually hurt you in the long run, if the thing you're an expert at becomes obsolete. the key is to keep learning new things
    5. be a child prodigy-despite the media shining a spotlight on developers who find success at a young age, the fact is that people pick up coding at all ages

    I also made a video where I go into greater detail if anyone is curious:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDRqYfwryzE

    What are some other misconceptions you've heard?

    submitted by /u/mskibs
    [link] [comments]

    Linking in HTML is not piece of cake - All about anchor tags

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 10:59 AM PDT

    font size units?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 03:31 PM PDT

    What's the best unit for setting font size? Currently I have everything in px, but I was wondering if it's worth the effort to switch everything over to em.

    (I looked throw this subreddit and stack overflow for a recent-ish answer with good explanation, but wasn't able to find one.)

    submitted by /u/140503
    [link] [comments]

    To UK developers:

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 12:39 PM PDT

    I am looking at IT career switch which to get into the industry. Essentially they are a coding bootcamp that costs about £1k. They offer a job at the end of it with a company they have partneted with.

    I am just curious if anyone has had any experience using this route.

    It seems quite appealing but also a lot of upfront cost.

    I have been self teaching for a while now but im terrible at disciplining myself. I understand front end stuff in depth and am getting to know ruby.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    TIA

    submitted by /u/Helicockta
    [link] [comments]

    Good resources to learn more about deployment and web hosting in general?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 12:19 PM PDT

    I have about 1.5 years of experience with full-stack development, primarily MERN stack. Started with a bootcamp and have kept up my technical skills using Udemy and wesbos courses. While I've had great experiences and learned a TON starting from scratch to building full-stack, it seems deployment is hardly ever touched upon in these courses.

    Google is obviously helpful but can also be a trap in leading me down a wormhole that's unhelpful when a much simpler solution exists. I've also used guides on Medium for deployment, but if the build fails, I've no idea how to debug the issue.

    I've cobbled together various guides to manage to deploy full-stack apps primarily using Heroku + MongoDB atlas. I use AWS S3 to host my personal portfolio (static site), and GitHub pages for simple react apps and front-end projects. If I were to try and deploy a full stack app on AWS I wouldn't even know which AWS service to use.

    There seems to be no definitive or centralized guide/resources on navigating the world of deployment/hosting for a junior developer, especially when broaching more complex things like CI/CD when I want to update code for a live app, env configs, creating/running production vs dev build scripts, then things like DNS records, custom domain hosting, much more.

    Sorry if some of my terminology is incorrect, just trying to get a better sense of what resources exist out there for this topic.

    submitted by /u/192_168_1_x
    [link] [comments]

    How to Become a Full Stack Web Developer in 2020

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 08:09 AM PDT

    Is using HTML 5 video good when the files are bigger?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 04:21 AM PDT

    My question is when let's say I have a 100mb video. It's not good to preload the video for full data usage as that will make the page load longer and use a lot of data. Deos HTML5 video account for bigger videos and the data usage or is there another way to do this that I should look into it.

    submitted by /u/normantas
    [link] [comments]

    Wondering about the ubiquity of React

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 03:31 PM PDT

    Just took on a new role that is using Gatsby plus headless to run its marketing site. The headless piece I understand and is a great benefit in this setup. I am less sure that React and Gatsby belong in this space.

    We're serving static HTML with a little bit of fanciness here and there, but only cosmetic fanciness - front end JS stuff. It seems to me that if we weren;t loading React in the first place and instead just pushing the data through something like Pug for templating plus Vue for anything dynamic that we would have a much simpler codebase that likely produced faster pages.

    I am wondering whether other folks are confronting this dilemma and what considerations might guide me toward one solution versus another. Headless CMS is the only piece of the puzzle that is non negotiable. Everything else is up for grabs.

    I am having trouble deciding if I am being an old fart or if React really isn't the panacea to all web problems that it seems to be right now. I am even less sure about Gatsby, which has an ecosystem I don't love and seems to want me to not use image or anchor tags which is insane and silly at the same time.

    So I am hoping some of you young whippersnapper devs can tell me why I am wrong, or what matrix you use to choose your tooling when the product is more on the website side of the app/website spectrum.

    submitted by /u/abeuscher
    [link] [comments]

    Google announces 100,000 scholarships for online certificates in data analytics, project management and UX

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 03:15 PM PDT

    What sort of projects are expected for a Junior Front-End Dev?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 02:06 PM PDT

    What would you expect this person to have on their portfolio?

    Would a responsive restaurant landing page, a JS game (like Simon), and a responsive shopping site be a good start?

    submitted by /u/someguyhere0
    [link] [comments]

    Friend wants me to design and host a website for them... need some tips on how to go about this.

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 08:02 AM PDT

    Hello all. I have a couple websites myself that I host with nomadph (costs are low), and just used free html templates that I configured. A friend of a friend liked the look of it, so they want me to build them a website and get it up and running. What I am wondering is, what is the best way to offer them this service? I do need the money, but would it be better for them to use a bigger company like squarespace or wix? My plan is to find a template that works for their content and find a cheap host to charge them monthly for.

    EDIT: Basically, if someone hired you to make them a website, how would you go about hosting and charging?

    Thanks for any advice.

    submitted by /u/mryetifaceman
    [link] [comments]

    Hey guys! Gotta few questions!

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 01:40 PM PDT

    So I came up with a product for Freelancers, that I am currently developing. Now, it's not Saturday, so I'm not gonna share it right now, but I want to do a short research study to see if this is even a good idea to continue to develop it. I have created a typeform here: Link

    This will allow me to actually figure out if I should really be making this, and is super short. Anyone, even non-freelancers would be super helpful to this idea! Thank you guys so much if you fill out the form!

    submitted by /u/elijahcruz12
    [link] [comments]

    The line between stealing content and changing how information is displayed: Where is it?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 01:26 PM PDT

    Hey!

    So I'm in the early stages of a webdev project. From my UX research I've identified a problem that does not seem to be solved properly.

    There's a great website that directly addresses the problem I'm trying to solve. However, there are issues with the website. I think the website violates the "visibility of system status" usability heuristic, and I think for this reason it makes the content hard to digest (the user research I did led me to this conclusion).

    I would like to make the website easier to digest. A lot of the concepts discussed in the website are universal facts, so I would not be stealing those concepts. However, there are specific examples that the website creators contrived.

    My UX research directly asks for examples like the contrived ones. I could simply re-word the examples, and create pepsi from coke. But this feels disingenuous. I googled around, so I know I'm allowed to re-organize facts. However, I don't know if I can re-organize contrived examples. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Crippledupdown
    [link] [comments]

    Things to work on at job?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 09:13 AM PDT

    So I've been a web dev for a few years now working for a company managing their website. I'm essentially the only one doing this and while sometimes I have projects of pages or new features to build out I also have a lot of downtime.

    I might go weeks or months even with no specific projects to work on. I consistently work on looking for ways to improve code, load times, seo, etc but after years of this I'm running low on things to change.

    Is anyone in the same boat or can recommend things to work towards? I feel bad having nothing to do during the day.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/CharlesCSchnieder
    [link] [comments]

    WebPack: Combine and generate CSS from multiple small images?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 11:49 AM PDT

    Hello

    Is there a WebPack plugin which would take a folder of say 500 small images (ex: us.png, ca.png, etc), and put them all in one image, and create CSS classes for each (ex: .us , .ca, etc) ??

    That way, if I want to show them all on one page, I only have to make one http request and not 500.

    submitted by /u/Annh1234
    [link] [comments]

    How should I get started making a social media network?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 08:03 AM PDT

    I know SQL, HTML 5, CSS3, Javascript, c# and python and want to build a social media site, but I don't know where to start, I've prototyped the design but I have no idea what order to build it, i.e should I start with front or back end, should I use python or c# and should I learn any new languages or not. I am a solo developer with no funding so I can't hire anyone.

    submitted by /u/much_bad_gramer
    [link] [comments]

    I just found out that the source of http://disney.com starts with a quote about curiosity by Walt Disney. What a cool Easter egg!

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 11:45 AM PDT

    Push notification icon from local file?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 11:26 AM PDT

    I'm using push notifications and I am trying to set the icon using static local files from my app.

    self.addEventListener("push", function(e) { let options = { body: e.data.text(), icon: "file:///../static/icon.png", ... 

    When I run this on chrome I get the error "Not allowed to load local resource".

    Is there any easy way to get around this, or do I just need to host this icon somewhere not locally? It seems slightly annoying that I have all of my static files organized in my project but I need to host this one icon somewhere else.

    Any advice?

    submitted by /u/Briyo2289
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment