• Breaking News

    Saturday, February 1, 2020

    What is an interesting, lesser known OS for me to study? Computer Science

    What is an interesting, lesser known OS for me to study? Computer Science


    What is an interesting, lesser known OS for me to study?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 07:36 AM PST

    Admittedly, this is for an assignment so I may be breaking the rules, but the assignment is to write a 5-10 page paper over an OS. However, I think it does not as I am not asking for any help; just an interesting list for me to consider.

    I don't want to do something boring and typical so I wanted to know about niche, abnormal, or just plain fascinating OS.

    submitted by /u/TheManWithAlotOfFear
    [link] [comments]

    ELI5: Dependency Inversion Principle

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 03:21 PM PST

    I read that the Dependency Inversion Principle states that

    'High level modules should not depend on low level modules. Both should depend on abstractions. Abstractions should not depend on details. Details should depend upon abstractions'

    The second part of the principle about abstractions makes sense to me.

    I don't have a good understanding of the first part of the principle, the part about high level modules should not depend on low level modules.

    Aren't high level modules by definition dependent on low level modules?

    Can someone give an ELI5 example of a hack/situation that would not follow the first part of the DIP principle?

    Is the first part of this principle stating avoid circular dependencies?

    submitted by /u/Truetree9999
    [link] [comments]

    ELI5: Using Eventual vs Strong consistency

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 01:18 PM PST

    I know that consistency represents getting the latest copy of a data after changes etc

    Two consistency patterns I know of are strongly consistent and eventually consistent.

    From reading about both, I learned that strongly consistent is a guarantee that the user will receive the most up to date but at the cost of high latency(time to keep everything updated)

    Whereas eventual consistency offers low latency but at the cost of stale data.

    When should you use Strong consistency as opposed to eventual consistent?

    One thing I thought of was UDP vs TCP where TCP takes more time because there's checks to make sure data arrives in the correct order

    I guess eventual consistency makes sense for something like getting weather, it's not important for that to be the most up to date whereas for banking information, you would need strong consistency.

    An interesting edge case would be high frequency trading where you low latency up to the date financial information

    submitted by /u/Truetree9999
    [link] [comments]

    [News] DeepMind & UCL Introduce New Model and Test Set for Inference

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 12:35 PM PST

    Now, DeepMind and University College London (UCL) have introduced a new deep network called MEMO which matches SOTA results on Facebook's bAbI dataset for testing text understanding and reasoning, and is the first and only architecture capable of solving long sequence novel reasoning tasks.
    Read more: DeepMind & UCL Introduce New Model and Test Set for Inference

    submitted by /u/rockyrey_w
    [link] [comments]

    Having trouble converting a DFA into a regular expression

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 10:33 AM PST

    Hi, my DFA is one which recognizes a language where the number of 1's and 0's is even. For all intents and purposes the DFA looks like this. So far my course has barely even covered state removal and that post was the first time I've even heard about Arden's theorem.

    My problem is that I always mess something up when I try to simplify the graph. I've tried to split the problem i.e. first draw automata where the number of 0's or 1's is even, simplify to regex, add constraint that the number of 0's and 1's is even and try to simplify that. It didn't work out as my end result for the regex was:

    (11)*U(00)*(1U01U0)* 
    submitted by /u/wabhabin
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment