• Breaking News

    Friday, February 28, 2020

    What is the difference between compiling and interpreting code? learn programming

    What is the difference between compiling and interpreting code? learn programming


    What is the difference between compiling and interpreting code?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 06:59 AM PST

    Hello guys, I need your help understanding the difference between compiling code (like when I run a C++ program) and interpreting a python program. In my understanding, for computers to run our code, we need to "translate" it to machine language and that's what compiling is. On the other hand, interpreting code is like using an intermediate software that runs(?) our code without having to compile it. Is this correct? If so, how does the interpreted code run? Won't it be translated to zeros and ones in the end anyway?

    Edit: great info found in comments thanks to all commenters. I think I got the gist of things but still need to read more on the topic, which is made easier now that I know what to look for.

    submitted by /u/sexyandknowit
    [link] [comments]

    Can you recommend a resource that focuses on improving thinking and problem solving skills?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 04:14 PM PST

    I want to go back to foundations and fix my thinking style and problem solving approach. Do you have any resource that can help me with that? Open to any suggestions!

    submitted by /u/blindnarcissus
    [link] [comments]

    Want to make games, should i still start with python ?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 09:46 PM PST

    Its just going to be my hobby , so its likely most im going to do will be mobile games made by unity. So im thinking about starting with C#. But some people saying that i should still start with python because its so easy to learn as a begginer and then move into C# if i want to .

    Edit: I just found out that there is an engine called Godot. What are you opinions about that

    submitted by /u/yagizbasoglu
    [link] [comments]

    When building a project, how do you decide its structure/organization?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 09:05 PM PST

    I'm not necessarily a beginner anymore. I've been playing around with python for years now. I've been making small projects that are usually math related or for some sort of automation. I do this with functions alone, and it feels SO wrong and messy.

    My structure is basically, "write the necessary functions one after the other and handle the logic in a main() function."

    Ok, this works, but it's very messy and ugly. There's no structure to it. When I'm doing file handling or working with some API it gets really messy. I also know about objects, but I never really use them because I can't keep myself from writing my whole program inside the object and then having main() call its methods in order, which is basically like what I already do. That's another issue all by itself. Should objects be completely raw and JUST accomplish the task with its methods? Like if I need user input, is it bad practice to print and ask the user for data inside a method? Should that be outside instead and have the method just assume it will be given all the data when called?

    What I want is some sort of blueprint that answers some issues. What does the folder structure of the program look like? How should my code be organized? Should it be divided into multiple files just like you would break up your program into different functions?

    I think this all comes with lack of experience in looking at other people's code. I have this really nice project in the works that will name and put the notes that I scan with my printer into the right folder in my computer. This is using Gmail API, lots of file handling, PDF joining, text processing, directory structure management, data persistence, etc. It's a sweet project that might actually be really useful for other people, but I have absolutely no idea how to organize it. It is obvious that this should not be done by throwing a bunch of functions in a file and having a fat main() function handling all the logic.

    submitted by /u/ambitious_rainbow
    [link] [comments]

    Basically lived in the office for 7 months

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 10:35 PM PST

    Has anyone done this before? I got a programming gig in a startup company of my relatives and since my pay is less because I have 0 experience, I was living with them in the same building as the office. It's a two storeyed building serving as both office and housing. Downstairs is the office and upstairs is where I go to sleep. That's all.

    I felt mind fucked after a while. I wanted to stay longer since I am trying to absorb everything and learn about the business and programming but I don't think I can stay anymore. Has anyone done this before?

    submitted by /u/sawatdeeman
    [link] [comments]

    Everything I would need to know for aws cloud computing

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 11:22 PM PST

    I'm really struggling to understand the architecture and system design behind building a cloud computing website like Eventbrite. Could somebody lay out all the things I would need to know and learn to build something like this? If you could also leave some tutorial links that would be really useful too. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Jpark9061
    [link] [comments]

    Can't build Project on CodeLite 13. How to fix?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 11:18 PM PST

    I was able to built the Project a few times, then I started getting this output when trying to build...

    How can I fix the problem?

    CodeLite 13, installed from the official CodeLite repository for Debian Buster

    /bin/sh -c 'make -j4 -e -f Makefile' ----------Building project:[ Project - Debug ]---------- make[1]: Entering directory '/home/user/CProjects/Workspace/Project' make[1]: Nothing to be done for 'all'. make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/user/CProjects/Workspace/Project' ====0 errors, 0 warnings==== 
    submitted by /u/juniordeveloper1986
    [link] [comments]

    Besides languages, what should one learn? I learned a few languages, but not sure of the steps to build something with it.

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 02:30 PM PST

    I'm not sure of the steps you need to go from code to having an app. When I watch teaching videos, you see a bunch of things that seems basic and known that nobody talks about. People loading environments, databases, hosting, sdk, api, azure, compiling...

    Are there any proper steps in learning those things? I'm sure some are unnecessary while others important in the whole process.

    What should I learn besides the coding languages themselves to be a good programmer?

    submitted by /u/GameofCHAT
    [link] [comments]

    started a recommended course by Colt Steele & i must thank the community

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 04:39 PM PST

    so it was recommended to me to check out Colt Steele's youtube channel since i'm trying to learn programming. as someone who likes computers & how programs work, his content is absolute gold. for anyone looking for somewhere to start, look at his youtube crash course & i HIGHLY suggest his Udemy course. i just started it as well but it's SO informative! his teaching style is what you want in an online class & he keeps you coming back to learn.

    i hope this little tip helps others as much as it is helping me🖤

    submitted by /u/hacked_unicorn33
    [link] [comments]

    Does leet code not save your solutions to problems you have previously solved?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 07:24 PM PST

    I was hoping I could go back and look at what I did but it looks like they got cleared out.

    submitted by /u/gtrman571
    [link] [comments]

    As a Learning Paths fan, these knowledge roadmaps thrilled me

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 07:21 PM PST

    C question about files

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 07:09 PM PST

    If I were to make a function in C how would I be able to call that void accounts function into the int main function and be able to access the things i wrote in it? I already tried searching google and everything but cant find the answer :(

    void accounts();

    int main(void){

    }

    void accounts(){

    FILE *fp = fopen(FILENAME, "w");
    if (fp == NULL)
    {
    perror("fopen");
    return 1;
    }

    fprintf(fp, "I %.2f\n", 478.33);
    fprintf(fp, "D %.2f\n", 127.45);
    fprintf(fp, "D %.2f\n", 619.84);
    fprintf(fp, "C %.2f\n", 945.12);
    fprintf(fp, "C %.2f\n", 4.76);

    }

    submitted by /u/Ransrot
    [link] [comments]

    What is the difference between these 2 lines of code in C?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 12:58 AM PST

    typedef struct Employee { char *first_name; char *last_name; char numbers[10]; } employee_t; int main(void){ // employee_t *employee = (employee_t *) malloc(sizeof(*employee_t)); // employee_t *employee = (employee_t *) malloc(4 * sizeof(*employee_t)); return 0; } 

    What does that 4 in the second line do in this instance?

    submitted by /u/KevinMcallizter
    [link] [comments]

    Just finished my classes for web and app development

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 06:40 PM PST

    I finished my classes and am looking to taking my certificate exams soon. Can anyone give me an idea of what I'll be looking for when I take the exam?

    submitted by /u/mentoyas
    [link] [comments]

    Programming on macbook library problems

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 12:29 AM PST

    Hey guys!

    I am a 1st year computer science student. please bear in mind that im a noob and just recently started with all of this. so, excuse the dumb things/questions.

    We are learning c++ now and everyone in my school uses Windows laptops and computers. I, on the other hand, own a Macbook and use Xcode. which means, There are some libraries that i cant use such as conio, stdlib, etc.

    Now, whenever i watch tutorial videos on youtube everyone also uses windows and those libraries that i cant use on mac, same thing goes in school. everyone starts including all those libraries and i cant even run them on my laptop. :(

    I want to add colors to my text output or make them bold, use clrscrn, etc.

    how can i handle this situation? i tried downloading windows to my mac but that wasn't successful.

    What are some alternatives that i can use on my mac? ones that are cross-platform, so when i submit a project to our teacher he can also run it on his windows laptop.

    P.s.

    1. English is not my first language so pardon the mistakes.
    2. I was given this laptop way before i got into university so didnt really much have a choice.
    submitted by /u/otheraccountidontuse
    [link] [comments]

    Good online resource to learn data structures and algorithms?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 04:08 PM PST

    I'm currently studying python and looking for an online resource to teach me data structures and algorithms. I'm not a fan of books because when I read and can't retain information that well.

    submitted by /u/SneakGeek1337
    [link] [comments]

    Career change

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 06:20 PM PST

    Hey guys, currently 25 and decided to go back to college. Currently I am working as a patient cook in a hospital, and its not something I want to do with my life. While in college I have been to lots of classes. Learning alot and having a great time, hile doing it. :) When I was younger I messed with coding and game design and found them so fun. But shortly after I had to get a job since my family wasn't doing so well.

    I want to give coding another try again and pursue it in school. I was curious on how well the CIS degree is looked at in the professional field. Alot of the stuff I read on reddit is most people seem to just go hardcore mode and binge books or coding camp. What is the best corse of action, my end goal would be machine learning. I find that field to be so fascinating, but that is far off and id love to be able to get hands on experience first and foremost

    submitted by /u/DessertCoffee
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to code a pyramid with a FOR loop in python

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 10:03 PM PST

    Hey guys Ive been trying to create a code that will take the input of the user and create a pyramid with the maximum number of symbols on the bottom(which is also input by the user)(code below)

    sym=input("Enter symbol:")

    MNOS=int(input("Enter max no of symbols:"))

    NOSp=int((MNOS-1)/2)

    NOSy=1

    while NOSy<MNOS+1:

    for i in range(1,NOSp):

    print(""*i)

    for j in range(1,NOSy):

    print(sym*j)

    print("\n")

    NOSp=NOSp-1

    NOSy=NOSy+2

    but i keep getting something like

    Enter symbol:*

    Enter max no of symbols:5

    *

    **

    *

    **

    ***

    ****

    any help?

    submitted by /u/ZedMaster123
    [link] [comments]

    What's the term/process for taking a large tagged dataset and finding the most commonly linked tags?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 09:51 PM PST

    So I am in the process of doing a full scrape of bandcamp. I will eventually have ~1.5 million artists in my database, each of which will be tagged based on genres and location.

    My goal here is to create my own "tag cloud" - for any given tag, I want to be able to see the tags which are most commonly associated with it.

    I don't know much about data science, but I am a fairly experienced programmer (am using Ruby for what it's worth). Is it called "n-grams"?

    What I'm thinking is, for each N in, say, 2 up to 6, I store each N-length combination at its own index, and the value for that index is a list of artists/albums which have all those tags. That would allow me to search through the data to find the strongest associations.

    Is there a more specific term for what I'm trying to do? I am totally down to find a library for it ... searching for N-grams seems to return stuff for text processing only, which I'm not sure applies here ... So I'm not really sure what else I should be searching for in a library.

    submitted by /u/isolatrum
    [link] [comments]

    MNIST

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 09:39 PM PST

    how to change jpg file to MNIST form

    (can it work if the size is over 256x256?

    submitted by /u/no_ac_
    [link] [comments]

    Help! I want to know what to learn to become a software developer without a degree.

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 09:33 PM PST

    I am starting learning python a week ago, but I don't know what my roadmap should look like. Any veterans out there with tips on what to learn specifically. Also, do I need to learn more than one program language? Thank You! 🤝

    submitted by /u/55ness
    [link] [comments]

    How do I grab the following word for each word in a text file?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 05:45 PM PST

    Reading this test.txt, I create a python dictionary where keys=every word:value=all words that precede it? Note the file has 1 sentence per line, but for the dictionary the lines do not matter when it comes to the word that comes after it. I know I could use a list, but my issue is then connecting the last word to the very first in the next sentence.

    test.txt:

    `My name is Bob.

    He is that tall

    and tall is he'

    Resulting Dictionary={'my':['name'],'name':['is], 'is':['Bob','that',he'],'tall':['and','is'] etc..}

    Dictionary key = string of each word, Dictionary value = a list of each word that follows that word

    How would I be able to get 'Bob':['he'] in the dictionary since they are in separate lines? (End of line 1 and Start of Line 2).

    My psuedocode would look something like this:

    dictionary = {} for line in text file for word in line create empty list for each word in dictionary if not already in dictionary dict[word].append(word_after_current_word) 

    I'm confused on how to create the variable word_after_current_word, especially when it comes to the last word in the sentence to map to the first word in the sentence after it.

    submitted by /u/tiblack9
    [link] [comments]

    C#, else if statement won't display my condition

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 08:33 PM PST

    I'm doing an activity for class on conditional statements, I have no errors and all of the conditions except for the last is working.

     class Program { static void Main(string[] args) { int hour = 18; if(hour < 12) { Console.WriteLine("Good morning"); } else if(hour >=12) { Console.WriteLine("Good afternoon"); } else if (hour >= 18) { Console.WriteLine("Good evening"); } } } } 
    submitted by /u/Abz379
    [link] [comments]

    How would I convert an operator character into an actual operator?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 04:30 PM PST

    I'm making a postfix calculator and am unsure how to make the c at the bottom of the else statement into the operator in the string:

    #include <iostream> #include <stack> #include <string> int main() { std::string pfix = "234+*"; std::stack<char> myStack; for(char c : pfix) { if (std::isdigit(c)) myStack.push(c); else{ int operand2 = myStack.top(); myStack.pop(); int operand1 = myStack.top(); myStack.pop(); int result = operand1 c operand2; } } return 0; } 
    submitted by /u/gtrman571
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment