• Breaking News

    Monday, February 17, 2020

    VS Code Debug Visualizer. What a time to be alive! web developers

    VS Code Debug Visualizer. What a time to be alive! web developers


    VS Code Debug Visualizer. What a time to be alive!

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 07:19 AM PST

    Heads up. Dreamhost has automatically enabled Autopay and removed any option to disable it short of contacting customer care.

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 05:50 PM PST

    Liquidfun.js (Wasm/Box2D), Three.js and the water sliding penguins [tutorial]

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 12:42 PM PST

    Use Stackbit to deploy your JAMstack site with Netlify+GitHub+SSG+CMS!

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 12:23 PM PST

    6 ways to create a website that’s accessible (and why it’s important to do so) - does anyone have experience in this field?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 04:56 PM PST

    UI Refactoring: Labels are a last resort

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 12:08 PM PST

    Conducting a front end interview 101

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 10:24 AM PST

    Roll Your Own JavaScript Built-In Methods: A Github Repo Dedicated to Learning Built-In Methods by Recreating Them (contributions appreciated!)

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 02:49 PM PST

    Economical way to host an API that is very rarely used?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 02:22 PM PST

    I am writing an API to build a webapp. While it is in development, I would like to host it somewhere where I (and anyone else) can access and use it. But it will probably almost never get used. Perhaps 100 hits during a day I am actively working on it, but may well go a month without a single hit.

    I am strongly leaning towards a Google Cloud solution, mostly because I just started a new job that uses it, and I have a lot to learn about how it works for this job, and It would be great if my "fun" project also uses helps me learn to do stuff for work.

    I am looking at Cloud Functions, where you only pay when it is actually running, but unless I am missing something it looks like that is for running pretty simple processes. The API I have written is a bit complicated (basically hits 5 different API's, and then calculates and returns a result based on those, a few)

    Any recommendations for the best way to host this? Would Cloud Functions be a good option for me afterall?

    submitted by /u/AlphaBetaParkingLot
    [link] [comments]

    What 8 years of side projects has taught me

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 01:40 AM PST

    API's to use for dealer locator

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 08:12 AM PST

    Hi all!

    I'm trying to create a "dealer finder" for our customers where they can enter a zipcode and find dealers near them. I've started using Google Map's Distance Matrix API but it became apparent that it would be cheaper to have someone replying to emails asking for nearby dealers than to use their API.

    We have over 1000 dealers so every time that I send a request to the Distance Matrix API it costs over $5 ($0.005/element * 1000 elements). I haven't seen any zipcode patterns that would allow me to filter the zip codes I send to only nearby zipcodes & reduce the costs as a result.

    I thought of two solutions:

    1. Use an API that allows me to get zipcodes with a certain radius of an API. This could allow me to filter what zipcodes I send to the Distance Matrix API. Zipcodes change a fair amount though & I'm hesitant to trust a random API to have accurate information about this, especially since we have dealers in Canada as well.
    2. Find a cheaper Distance Matrix API alternative. (I haven't had any luck with this).

    My thought is that Best Buy, Walmart, etc aren't paying $5 every time a customer asks to find a nearby location. Is there a way to reduce the cost or is it just a case where their scale allows them to store a database of every zipcode & their nearby stores?

    TLDR: Currently using Google Map's Distance Matrix API for a dealer locator on our company's website, but it's too pricey. Are there any cheaper options to find stores near a zipcode? We have over 1000 dealers in both the United States & Canada.

    EDIT: We are trying to avoid just putting all of the dealer locations on a map for customers to view because we are a manufacturer & would like to know where we receive the most customer requests for our product

    submitted by /u/swishedjumpers
    [link] [comments]

    The JavaScript Way book is looking for contributors

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 11:55 AM PST

    Looking for recommendations for a simple persistence library for browser JavaScript

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 03:28 PM PST

    Looking for a drop-in library to persist JS objects or JSON on a third party server (dont want to host my own). Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/in15minutes
    [link] [comments]

    Using Facebook Graph API - What does "You can't perform this operation on this endpoint." mean?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 03:20 PM PST

    Im not exactly sure what an endpoint is and why I can do somethings and not others.

    The docs for reference;

    https://developers.facebook.com/docs/graph-api/reference/post/#Creating

    submitted by /u/Cormac_IRL
    [link] [comments]

    Are templates being replaced by component-oriented frameworks?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 03:20 PM PST

    I guess so?

    I've just recently started reconsidering my workflow and technologies used after making Wordpress websites for years, and only recently started learning more about the Jamstack, headless CMS's, and the latest javascript frameworks/Component-Oriented Programming.

    I initially thought COP would be a right fit for me because I assumed it would be like a templating engine and as a Twig fan, this was something I looked forward to. Twig's syntax is extremely simple and yet very versatile. I can extend a page, add or remove blocks, which I always thought of "components" because of their modular and flexible nature.

    There's a few javascript/node templating languages like nunjuncks, haml and pug (formely jade). Most of these don't seen to me be very popular anymore and have not been updated in months or years. I have the feeling developers are embracing the use of components in frameworks like Vue, React or Angular and I'm really struggling to see how these aren't total overkill for most websites. Even if I imagine a relatively big project like an editorial platform, I don't see how this new approach can make me build faster and better.

    I may be missing something and if you have articles, suggestions or your own thoughts on this, please share! I would love to know other developer's thoughts on this and how you have managed to navigate having to choose between what to learn and use in your everyday workflow.

    submitted by /u/vlsy
    [link] [comments]

    How does Google Shopping manage to aggregate millions of products behind the hood?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 03:13 PM PST

    Something I've been very intrigued with lately is how Google Shopping takes a product that exists in hundreds of stores and aggregates all of the information into a single, coherent product page. They have to be able to match a model/sku number to a product that can exist in many stores; of which, it's no guarantee that a product's model number is unique. Then, for every product, merchants are going to have different display names, descriptions, details, and images. And yet, even though information varies from merchant to merchant, Google Shopping only shows you one version of that information. From an architectural development standpoint, how is all this achieved?

    submitted by /u/ForTheLoveOfNoodles
    [link] [comments]

    A weird but kinda useful tool to debug your web apps by listening to your DOM mutations

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 11:13 AM PST

    WebDev Conference recommendations?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 08:48 AM PST

    Hi All,

    Full stack developer here. My company is encouraging us to join conferences for professional development. Can anyone recommend a conference that they really enjoyed?

    Ideally i'm looking for something that's really informational and something that is centrally located downtown. I went to an angular conference three years ago in chicago but it was kind of a bust because it was so far outside of downtown that it wasn't really worth me leaving the hotel.

    submitted by /u/justpie
    [link] [comments]

    Can Netlify host a website for free that was made using Bootstrap?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 02:26 PM PST

    I know for sure Netlify can host any website that was made with HTML & CSS, but don't know if it can also host a website that was made with Bootstrap. Does anybody know about this?

    submitted by /u/techsavvynerd91
    [link] [comments]

    Program to create SVG bezier curves

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 10:35 AM PST

    Is there a program, like maybe Illustrator, that will take the curved line I've drawn and make it into a SVG Bezier Curve? If Illustrator does it, how?

    I have a map of hiking trails and I would like to create a page where I can click on the trail name and it highlights the trail, like an image map or image swap kinda thing. Image maps do not deal with curves very well and image swap doesn't seem ideal. So I am looking for a better alternative and SVG Bezier Curves seemed like a good solution. I would just like to draw them out and have the program create the code for me.

    submitted by /u/sdtacoma
    [link] [comments]

    Super funny roasting of poor job postings

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 02:17 PM PST

    Learning Django / Vue

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 02:11 PM PST

    Hi there!

    I am interested in learning more about the Django and Vue frameworks, so figured I would tackle one of my personal projects using these technologies. If you're interested in following, I have a github project (MemberMixer) and am occasionally streaming development on Twitch.

    I have a few community questions, now that I've had a day to play in the backend:

    • Django provides a lot of functionality for python developers, but may be overkill for the API I'm building. Does anyone have any opinions on Django, vs. other (especially lighter) frameworks, like Flask?
    • I haven't gotten started in Vue yet, but it looks very promising, especially since it leverages the Fetch API now (so Axios isn't needed). Does anyone have any feelings on Vue, compared to a frameworks like Angular/React?
    • Are there any recommendations out there for a lightweight CI/CD pipelines for a personal project like this? Keep in mind, that I do have a database to manage, and would like a way to differentiate between DEV/PROD environment variables/connections, etc.
    submitted by /u/Marzipanic
    [link] [comments]

    CSS animation - sliding divs off-screen to on screen and off screen again

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 02:10 PM PST

    Hello,

    I am looking for some knowledge on how I can replicate something like this Dribbble example on a single page with CSS Animations.

    Here is the link to the Dribbble example: https://dribbble.com/shots/2623849-Web-Onboarding-Steps

    What I have now consists of using Flexbox to inline a collection of 100% width divs. One div takes up the height and width of the viewport. Additional divs are off-screen, so without overflow: hidden, there will be horizontal scroll. This all makes sense.

    I want to slide OUT the div in the users view to the left, and slide in the div off screen (thats to the right), slide it in to the left, now, div 2 is in view and div one is slid over to the left off screen.

    This is very much a carousel type idea, but I would like to to be controlled by a button press on the active div in view.

    I am using JS to add a class to the active div to push it out of view, and add a class to the off screen div to push it into view.

    Has anyone had any experience with something like this? Any advice is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/OneTwentyZero
    [link] [comments]

    Help Porting Application to Vue.js

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 09:58 AM PST

    Hello Everyone,
    I work on an open-source design tool for biomedical devices (https://3duf.org). However, there are a couple of problems with this right now in terms of Browser compatibility and the ease of extending the tool. Right now, I have all the HTML in a single file where I open enable/disable the popups. The big issue I have is that I have a ~100 class core application in es6 that I don't want to break. Any ideas on how I can move everything into Vue.js.
    Here is the Github repo in case you all want to take a look at it: https://github.com/cidarlab/3duf

    submitted by /u/testuser514
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment