• Breaking News

    Saturday, February 22, 2020

    Screenshot Saturday #473 - High Definition

    Screenshot Saturday #473 - High Definition


    Screenshot Saturday #473 - High Definition

    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 08:08 PM PST

    Share your progress since last time in a form of screenshots, animations and videos. Tell us all about your project and make us interested!

    The hashtag for Twitter is of course #screenshotsaturday.

    Note: Using url shorteners is discouraged as it may get you caught by Reddit's spam filter.


    Previous Screenshot Saturdays


    Bonus question: What is one game you plan on checking off your backlog this year?

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    Free Blender Beginner Course, Zero 2 Hero

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 01:16 AM PST

    I made a commandline tool that you can use to make glitched images (and GIFs) for sprites!

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 04:02 AM PST

    EnTT v3.3.0 is out: Gaming meets Modern C++

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 07:22 AM PST

    What's EnTT

    EnTT is a header-only library written in modern C++.

    It's mainly known for its innovative and very performing entity-component-system (ECS) model. However, it offers also many other things useful for development, from flexible tools for managing signals to an integrated reflection system and so on. That's not all: some new modules are under development and will soon become part of the library (or at least I hope so).

    EnTT is also a production-ready, fully documented and battle-tested library with a 100% coverage. Among others, It's currently used in Minecraft by Mojang and the ArcGIS Runtime SDK by Esri.

    What's new in v3.3

    This version contains quite a lot of things. All new features and changes are carefully listed in the changelog as usual.I won't go into the details of every change but I'll try to sum up the most important ones:

    • No more named types: EnTT works now across boundaries transparently in the vast majority of cases. Moreover, it introduced a flexible tool to customize type identifiers globally or on a per-type and per-traits basis.
    • Range functionalities to the rescue: among the others functions, you can now create and destroy multiple entities and components at once.
    • The registry meets the runtime. Give a try to the new ::visit function to visit a registry or an entity and get their component types at runtime. Bindings have never been so easy to set up..

    And also: delegates and signals support now unbound members, views and groups offer a way to get the first and last entities, a new type info utility, and so on. Take a look at the changelog to know more about this release.
    I also started a review to reduce compilation times as much as possible. This will also continue in future releases but should already show its benefits with this one.

    What's next?

    There is still a lot of work to do and some new parts to add to the library. There are a few small things to do but I'll try to focus mainly on a couple of aspects in the coming months: compilation times and runtime integration. Moreover, I'll continue to add new features, either small or big ones, in accordance with the time that I'll be able to dedicate to it!

    What else

    In my free time I'm running the ECS back and forth series (along with other posts). I'd like to start something new about the internals of this library and the development of a software with EnTT. The latter should serve as a step by step guide to using all the feature offered by the library. I cannot really set a deadline for this but I'd like to know if there is interest in such a series before to start, so any feedback is appreciated!

    If you are using EnTT and want to tell me hello or which of your products relies on it, do not hesitate to contact me! For everyone else interested in the library, the wiki contains more than what I've said here and the gitter channel is a great place to come and ask your first question!

    I'm looking forward to hearing from you. :)

    submitted by /u/skypjack
    [link] [comments]

    Since I've been a game dev for years, I decided my online resume should be a playable game (desktop only)

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 11:14 AM PST

    Learn how to create 2D GLOWY TINT BLINK Shader Graph in Unity (Tutorial Link in comments) this effect can be used when a character gets a hit or receive healing but i decided to show this effect by syncing beats of a music with those blinks.

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 08:27 AM PST

    Look at player - VR procedurall animation.

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 12:29 PM PST

    Smallest successful open world games?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 11:12 AM PST

    Looking for inspiration. By "smallest" I mean production-wise (something achievable by a person or a small team), not length or size of the game. What smallest open world games do you know? I want to check which things I should focus on and which can I possibly strip from the game.

    submitted by /u/ned_poreyra
    [link] [comments]

    What games should I develop to help me learn maths (as an experienced programmer with very limited maths skills)?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 11:55 AM PST

    Hey all!

    I basically have an end goal in mind, I want to be able to make something along the lines of these 'non euclidean' trippy escheresuqe space warping mindfuck things:

    https://youtu.be/N8WWodGk9-g

    https://youtu.be/tl40xidKF-4

    Of course, they are very very maths heavy. Right now, I have an intermediate goal of raycasting, which seems(?) to be high school algebra and trigonometry. The learning curve feels pretty much vertical at this point and I'm looking to smooth the curve somewhat with more fun things, so I was hoping someone might be able to help me with suggestions of games to develop that are inbetween (mathematically speaking) the complexity of Tetris and Raycasting (doom-clone)? :)! I feel like once I reach a certain threshold it'll be easier to work out what I don't know + what I can reasonably hope to work on next. I am an experienced programmer so programming complexity isn't an issue.

    Peace + ty!

    submitted by /u/ultimate_kumquat
    [link] [comments]

    Why do modern games take considerably more time to make in comparison to similar scope games from 20-30 years ago?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 09:29 AM PST

    I've been watching some YouTube videos about old school games developers and it surprised me how short the development period was - sometime 1~2 years only! That with very small teams and the technological barrier.

    Modern games of similar scope, however, take many more years to completion, specially Indie games. Project Zomboid, for instance, has been in development for about a decade and is nowhere near a final build.

    Why do modern games take so long to develop?

    submitted by /u/Motherfucker_Jones_1
    [link] [comments]

    How a new wave of developers are using voxels to create jaw-dropping worlds

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 09:21 AM PST

    I'm making a circuit puzzle game, and since some logic gates have multiple symbols I was hoping to get feedback on what symbols I intend to use

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 08:57 AM PST

    My game is about creating circuits to help little critters get from start to finish while avoiding obstacles. To that end I'm including: AND, OR, XOR, NOT gates and clocks (I'm thinking about adding in flipflops if anyone has a strong opinion either way about that it would be appreciated too) there are a decent amount of symbols that can be used for each and I wanted to hear opinions on the ones I'm using:

    AND = & (single ampersand instead of double, I figured that would be more intuitive for non-engineers and also I only have 25x25 pixels for each asset)

    OR = +

    XOR = ⊕

    NOT = ~

    Clock = square wave symbol

    Again since there are multiple symbols for each (like AND can be *) if something else makes more sense please let me know.

    submitted by /u/tremblinggigan
    [link] [comments]

    Hey guys, made a full process video for this awesome community. I texture wood, metals and leather, extremely important components of texturing. Hope the community likes it!

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 10:45 AM PST

    Any advice for "Search Keywords" under the Store Admin Page section? - Setting up Steamworks / Game Store Page properly.

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 08:42 AM PST

    I'm currently trying to optimise my game's Steam store page so that relevant customers may find my game.

    There is a section I've honestly neglected for search keywords on the Store Admin Page and I'm aware that Steam also uses "tags" on the store pages themselves.

    Does anyone have tips or advice for finding and picking good keywords for this section? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/GameDevMikey
    [link] [comments]

    Are fighting games like Tekken and Street Fight frame dependent?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 08:14 AM PST

    Or do they use some specific timestep implementation? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how they deal with different frame rates because: 1. those games usually use frames as a measurement of time 2. I've seen FPS comparisons on YouTube and the game speed doesn't seem to change

    I'm not entirely sure but I think that for at least Tekken the FPS is capped at 60, which may imply something.

    submitted by /u/kojigas
    [link] [comments]

    Request for questions for OBSIDIAN writer/designer

    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 04:32 PM PST

    I am planning an interview with Chris Avellone, a writer and designer from many of my favorite games. Please let me know if there are specific questions you would like me to ask from the community. Here are some of his credits...

    Fallout 2 (Level Designer)
    Planescape: Torment (Lead Designer)
    Icewind Dale 1 (Level Designer)
    IWD: Heart of Winter (Level Designer)
    IWD 2 (Level Designer)
    Dark Alliance 1 (Senior Designer)
    Baldur's Gate 3 (canceled, Senior Designer)
    Fallout 3 (canceled, Co-Lead Designer)
    Champions of Norrath (Level Designer and Script Doctor)
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II (Lead Designer/Lead Writer)
    Neverwinter Nights 2 (Senior Designer)
    Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (Senior Designer)
    Aliens: Crucible (Creative Lead Designer)
    Alpha Protocol (Lead Designer/Lead Writer)
    Fallout: New Vegas (Senior Designer)
    Fallout: New Vegas DLC: Dead Money, Old World Blues, Lonesome Road (Project Director/Creative Lead Designer)
    South Park (Additional Narrative/Cut Scene Production Support)
    Wasteland 2 (Area, Narrative, and Systems Designer)
    Pillars of Eternity (Narrative Production/Design)
    Torment: Tides of Numenera (Narrative Designer)
    FTL: Adv Edition (Narrative Designer)
    Legend of Grimrock: Movie (Story Treatment)
    Siege of Dragonspear (Narrative Consultant)
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 (Narrative Designer)
    Prey (Narrative Designer)
    System Shock (Reboot, Lead Narrative Designer)
    Omensight (Narrative Contractor)
    Underworld Ascendant (Narrative Contractor)
    Into the Breach (Narrative Designer)
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker CRPG (Narrative Designer)
    Dying Light 2 (Sr Narrative Designer)
    Degrees of Separation (Writer)
    Jedi: Fallen Order (Narrative Designer)
    Bloodlines 2 (Narrative Designer)

    submitted by /u/mrventures
    [link] [comments]

    Public domain "Judge Dredd 2D retro" asset pack

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 04:02 AM PST

    Unity 2D - Player respawns without joystick script

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 07:42 AM PST

    Unity 2D - Player respawns without joystick script

    Hello,

    I'm new to Unity and have come across an issue with my player respawning. The respawn works fine, the character dies and then respawns.. all good. The only issue is the joystick player movement script doesn't attach with the respawned cloned player, so I'm unable to move the player.

    I get this error message... "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object PlayerMovement.Update () (at Assets/Scripts/PlayerMovement.cs:38)"

    I've attached a screenshot which may help, if you guys need to see anything else to help me, let me know.

    Thanks in advance

    https://preview.redd.it/eheuym5zwhi41.jpg?width=3508&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=94b6a472a528238a5a58f35ededa6a831e0ba1ca

    submitted by /u/OddSocksStudio
    [link] [comments]

    Can I use unity personal if I am under 18? How does the money limit work in this situation?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 11:05 AM PST

    Need some help on my first gaming app

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 10:18 AM PST

    Hey guys I'm getting into game development and I have a couple awesome ideas for games that could take the App Store by storm I was wondering if anyone would like to help or partner up I've already been working in unity .....contact me for more info

    submitted by /u/bigdreamsjay
    [link] [comments]

    Is using Visual Studio considered as "coding from scratch" ?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 07:53 AM PST

    Hello Reddit ! I'd like to learn at least a bit of "making a game from scratch", because I feel like Unity isn't teaching me so much on the programming part.

    I've been looking on Youtube for some tutorials to learn from, but most of what I saw was with Visual Studio, which seems to be close to an game engine to me ? I mean, you can drag and drop to put timers and everything...

    So my question is, do you think that using Visual Studio to make a game is considered "coding from Scratch" ? And if this isn't, what is ? Thank you !

    submitted by /u/NotBenoit
    [link] [comments]

    game environment designs in games

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 07:30 AM PST

    hi, so I'm doing a little report retaliating to game environment design where I find examples of elements in game environments. and I'm a little confused about some definition of some of the elements and what they're actually used for in real games. these are the elements I'm stuck with;

    • physics
    • static mesh- (very confused about static mesh)
    • path-based animation
    • skeletal
    • shaders and materials
    • triggers

    any help would be amazing as I can't find any help with this from books and all definition on google are confusing.

    submitted by /u/Kawaii_mudkip258
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment