• Breaking News

    Saturday, February 1, 2020

    Screenshot Saturday #470 - Open Gallery

    Screenshot Saturday #470 - Open Gallery


    Screenshot Saturday #470 - Open Gallery

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 07:56 PM PST

    Share your progress since last time in a form of screenshots, animations and videos. Tell us all about your project and make us interested!

    The hashtag for Twitter is of course #screenshotsaturday.

    Note: Using url shorteners is discouraged as it may get you caught by Reddit's spam filter.


    Previous Screenshot Saturdays


    Bonus question: What is one game you would like to see remastered?

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    ShaderDebugger: a C++ library for debugging HLSL and GLSL shaders

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 04:59 AM PST

    3D Game Tutorial in C++ from scratch: Part 16 - Creating 3D Engine - Smart Pointers - SourceCode on GitHub

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 01:53 AM PST

    Check it out. It's made by one person in Unreal Engine 4!

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 11:04 AM PST

    Going Slow or Going fast within your game - Unity 3D

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 05:18 AM PST

    What I learnt after 1 Year of Game Development

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 10:18 AM PST

    HIYAH! Zelda x Mystiqa

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 12:26 PM PST

    How do I know if i am good enough to sell my first game?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 09:08 AM PST

    Hi,

    So after around a year of learning unity and making smaller games, i decided that i will try and make my own first commercial game. But there is a problem - I dont know if i am "good enough" to succesfully complete this task and that i dont write terrible code. I know that customer probably wont care about the code that makes the game work, but i already had to rewrite some parts of my game becouse they were breaking every possible code-writing principle imaginable, effectively making my code terrible to maintain. So here is my question - how much do i need to know to be "good enough" so when i show my code to a proffesional programmer my code wont end up on r/badcode ?(a bit of exagerrating but you know what i mean). Or maybe im just overthinking it?

    Thanks for answers!

    submitted by /u/RounixD
    [link] [comments]

    Will translating my game generate more sales?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 11:18 AM PST

    How did you figure out whether you were a Game Programmer VS Game Designer?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 04:51 AM PST

    As I look more into the games industry, there is a definite split between programmers (or developers, whatever you want to call it) and designers. At my current state in learning game dev, I'm stuck in the middle. How do you figure out which side is best for you? Just with experience over time or something else? Thanks

    submitted by /u/bigorton_
    [link] [comments]

    Crafting Audio for Lumote with Paul Ruskay

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 08:05 AM PST

    Indie-Adventures: YouTube channel with indie game reviews

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 12:04 PM PST

    Behavior Trees & Improved AI (UE4)

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 12:01 PM PST

    Question about game development

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 11:43 AM PST

    I was no clipping a old Harry Potter game on pc recently and I discovered all of the characters were stored out of bounds in every single level. I was wondering what the technical reason for this is. The game was made with Unreal Engine 1. Is this something common for games, and are modern games the same ?

    submitted by /u/vegas395
    [link] [comments]

    Create a Simple RPG Inventory System (#02) - From Art to Game with Buildbox Guru

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 11:41 AM PST

    Grabbed this bundle, will it be okay?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 11:39 AM PST

    After lurking for deals upon realizing spending near budget of 2k was useless having ZERO experience, I saw this bundle and grabbed it.

    1. Husband kept saying "get a touch it's so convenient and you may want to do more than use it for game Dev" (true.)

    2. When I ordered it said "available for back order" but now it's sold out online AND my card hasnt been charged yet. I called BB and they say if after a week they don't update status they just cancel the order. I thought this was a good deal but

    3. Is this a good laptop?!?! I want to do basic 2d stuff for now. I'm not even sure what that means but eventually I want to make elementary school aged kids games re bullying and "social responsibility" - who the fuck knows what that is, right? Heh

    Oh here's the link https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/lenovo-yoga-730-15-6-2-in-1-laptop-i7-512gb-ssd-16gb-ram-w-office-1tb-external-hdd-google-home-mini/B0012702?icmp=Recos_5across_yr_rcntly_vwd_tms&referrer=PDP_Reco

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/more4me143
    [link] [comments]

    What field could I continue developing my skills in?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 11:29 AM PST

    This is kind of a weird question. To start, I've loved game dev, learning about the development process and the creative freedom you get. It's always been something I've wanted to go for but never have. I've always been an "Idea Man" but I want to change that. Recently however I spoke to my friend about Lumion, a program for designing, furnishing, and producing renders of 3d models. It's mainly used by architects or landscape designers. I tried my hand and clicked immediately with it. It's fairly easy to pick up and just fun overall. I was limited by only having the trial version, but I made do with what I had. In a few hours I made this. It was really simple, but I learned the basics of placing objects and lighting. After a few more hours, I proudly designed this. Everything but the structure of the house was designed by me.

    So about my question. Could anything from this program, skill-wise, be transferred to the game dev scene? I found that having assets at hand helped tremendously when it came to designing, and I would really like to try working in a field similar to this.

    submitted by /u/Connorj177
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone have experience with 100% code-generated game-objects & -visuals?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 11:27 AM PST

    I've always liked the idea of using code to generate everything using formulas when a scene is loaded instead of designing meshes in blender and texturing them using images.

    I have an idea for a traffic-simulation that would be fun to program, but I don't want to pre-define a road network. I want to generate a random road-network using a function that takes some parameters and a seed.

    The problem that I'm facing right now is that the big game-engines like Unreal & Unity aren't made for that. And even if they somehow allow such a thing, the work that's necessary for even a simple rectangle on screen is unproportionally big.

    I don't even want editor. I just want to code, because that's the fun part for me.

    I've got two questions regarding this:

    1) What experience do you have with that kind of gamedev?

    2) Are there lightweight game-engines that only handle button-inputs, providing a window with a canvas, and maybe a camera-object that handles the matrix-math for moving around?

    submitted by /u/Krachwumm
    [link] [comments]

    Marketing and propagation for games. Where to start and what is worth it?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 11:25 AM PST

    Hi! I would like to ask what is the best approach for marketing and propagation and what is just waste of time. Platforms that I am developing for are Android and Windows (hopefully iOS later on, but I can't afford it right now).

    At this point I have Webpage with blog, YouTube channel that I am trying to fill with content from development and also Twitch where I am streaming the process of drawing sprites and UI elements - fairly new idea to me (yesterday I decided to stream every fryday evening). I'd like to make Facebook page (once I will make limited liability company) and maybe Discord, but I have no idea if Discord is usefull or not.

    I'm trying to share my work on Facebook via posts and stories, but it seems like it never gets out of the "inner friend circle" as the only reactions are from people from my friendlist and rarely some of their friends. I was thinking about posting on Facebook pages that were created for that, but I realised that in every page I checked are mainly other developers, not players that would be interested in the game itself.

    I already have one game ready to release (can't at this point due to the fact that I am employed and my employer won't allowe me to create Limited Liability Company. Still in process. I will leave if not allowed), it's basic reflex game in which player is matching three pieces of jigsaw puzzle. Seccond game that I am currently working on is in fact just Idle game with extra steps.

    My plan is to create Limited Liability Company and release both games at the same time (or with small delay), but I would like to get as many potential players as possible before doing that.

    Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Tesaks
    [link] [comments]

    Question about copyright

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 11:23 AM PST

    Hello! Im a starting game dev and wanted to know something before screwing up. Are game ideas protected by copyright? More specifically. How much do I have to change to avoid legal issues with other game devs?

    For example a clicker/idle game, there are hundreds of almost identical copies, what if I make one and start to make money, can one of those game devs sue me or something claiming I copied their game?

    What if I didnt know that game in particular and happened to make something similar? It is ilegal?

    Sorry if I ask too much

    submitted by /u/GhoulFTW
    [link] [comments]

    What technologies should I learn to make a web game akin to the popular io games?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 10:59 AM PST

    I'm currently fleshing out an idea that I think I'd have a lot of fun making. It's a 2d game which ideally will have very simplistic art (I can't draw) and will be in the style of the popular IO games. The game I most like in this category is survivio and I would like to replicate something like this myself. The thing is, my game would have a bit more depth, it's not just spawning a cell and gathering blobs to increase your size or even a simple battle royale. There would be a lot of persistence, there's no rounds or a game restarting thing going on. The player would be able to have a lot of possessions, own land etc. The map would ideally be infinite or very large. What would be the best technologies to go about making something like this? Is it technically possible? The alternative is that I look at some non-web based game engines.

    submitted by /u/ilovetoprogrum
    [link] [comments]

    I wanna make a level build tool with color sheets

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 10:57 AM PST

    I recently acquired the knowledge to detect color shapes with the camera in unity (with emguCV). I can turn a shape into a polygon and use that polygon in the 3D world.

    I want to make a tool that let's you build a level with colored paper, then you scan it and it makes a level based on the colored shapes.

    For example I could turn a green sheet into a forest, or a grey sheet into an elevated floor with the same shape, or place a chest where a yellow square is.

    The thing is, I don't know what kind of level/game it would be useful for. And I need that to know what features to implement. Is it gonna be for a top-down shooter ? A dungeon crawler ? ...

    Basically I need a direction to go, to make the tool actually a bit useful or fun to play with.

    Note : things (shapes, objects) can move in real time too ! It's a video thing, not just a one time scan

    submitted by /u/Amaury__
    [link] [comments]

    Help with pc purchase.

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 10:51 AM PST

    Hey looking into laptops for programming ect. And I've always liked thinkpads and I am currently looking into the p1 gen 2 (1.6k USD)with these specs:

    9th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-9850H with vPro™ (2.60GHz, up to 4.60GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 Cores, 12MB Cache)Operating System Windows 10 Pro 64Memory 16GB DDR4 2666MHzHard Drive 512GB SSD PCIeDisplay Type 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS, anti-glare with Dolby Vision™ HDR, 500 nitsGraphics NVIDIA® Quadro® T2000 4GB

    How good is this? Reason I ask is because every I read about best pc the thinkpad doesn't seem to show up. So I'd like to know your guys opinions.

    submitted by /u/martingmz05
    [link] [comments]

    Here's a few pretty cool variations of 2D DISSOLVE Effects in Unity

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 10:31 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment