• Breaking News

    Wednesday, February 19, 2020

    JWT (JSON Web Token) is Awesome: Here's Why web developers

    JWT (JSON Web Token) is Awesome: Here's Why web developers


    JWT (JSON Web Token) is Awesome: Here's Why

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 06:04 AM PST

    Funny Story - My Newbie Mistake

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 09:28 AM PST

    Very long ago my first job I landed was to take over web development of the biggest domain name registrar in my country. I was thrilled about all the possibilities one can do with PHP and all those technologies.

    I was asked to create a feature that will offer available alternatives for entered domain name if it is taken. OK, no problem and why not to make it even smarter? What if it remembered previously entered queries and used them in future to generate new variants.

    Yes, bright idea, right? (Aside that it can trigger lot of domain name squatting issues.)

    I loved how it worked until my boss ran into my office screaming. His name was mr. Ditrich. And he was testing our fresh new feature and naturally entered his name "ditrich.com" and my tool reacted like "Sorry, this domain is taken but we have available domains ditrich-is-idiot.com, ditrich-asshole.com, ...". A huge list like this came up.

    I had to explain a lot how I generate the alternatives. And it turned out that since he was generally hated people from our company were entering those names during testing phase and my algorithm kept learning...

    submitted by /u/elixon
    [link] [comments]

    Best practices: when calling an external API, should I do it on the front or the backend?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 04:50 AM PST

    Say I'm calling an API which returns an array of objects and is gonna be filtered on the frontend. Should I call the API on the backend and send the data over to the frontend or is it alright to just do everything on the frontend?

    Asked some devs I know and got mixed responses.

    submitted by /u/DumbUnemployedLoser
    [link] [comments]

    How can I "get" React?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 11:26 PM PST

    Really desperate here - more and more of my work is becoming React, but after years of trying it out (doing intro courses) I still don't get it. It's not clicking.

    The problem lies in that my workplace seems to make things so, so granular and convoluted. Doing a simple course on Udemy is a totally different world to what I work with at my workplace. A single-page component I build in a course might have a dozen files (plus npm packages of course), whilst my work place has, literally, over a million.

    Any advice on how to make it 'click'?

    What I struggle with is:

    • Order of things. Which functions come first?
    • Why so many files? My company has about 12 repos/packages with around 100,000 files each. Searching for something is like looking for a needle in a hay stack.
    • How do you navigate all the layers? For example, working on a form, my company has a .index.js file along with an accompanying .stories.js file for every single form field - around 50 components all up. Above that there's a whole package for the Material UI styling for these form items. And then another package just for icons. How do you make them talk to each other? Where do you know where to begin if you want to change something?
    • Why so many layers to move data around? If I want to send a React component a piece of data - say a string of text for a form input label - from my CMS it must pass through about 10 different files to get there.
    • How is all of this "better"? Eg: a team mate was given 2 weeks to create a React component to hide/show some DOM elements. Note: not load in new data from a service, just hide and show data already loaded on the DOM using CSS classes. All in all there were about 16 changed files in the branch for this update and, as I said, it took 2 weeks. Why is this better than just using normal JS or JQuery?

    Many thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/MeltingDog
    [link] [comments]

    National Debt clock? Nope, just Google Fonts analytics showing 36 trillion requests to Google fonts API

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 12:04 PM PST

    responsive website testing, any alternative to Sizzy ?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 05:21 AM PST

    Sizzy (https://sizzy.co/) looks great but there is no way in hell I am paying a subscription for this. I would buy it in a heartbeat if it was a one-time purchase though, even if that only came with say 1 year of updates. Such a terrible case for a recurring subscription in my opinion.

    Anyway, I am looking for an alternative, either open source or something with a one-time purchase. Anyone know of any?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/spar_x
    [link] [comments]

    Fixing memory leaks in web applications

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 09:24 AM PST

    Theming large app with SASS best practices?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 03:28 PM PST

    I've been trying to find resources that explain the best practices, standards, or tips/tricks for building a custom themable sass (scss) architecture. The theming is for white label purposes. New themes will be done in-house, but our goal is to be able to spur up new branding for the app as quickly as possible.

    Not sure if it's relevant, but it's also component driven.

    Any articles, videos, or personal tips would be immensely appreciated!

    submitted by /u/wrecklessmedia
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone suggest a free or cheaper alternative to Termageddon (linked) for T&C/Privacy Policy management?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 05:33 AM PST

    HTTP/2 Server Push API proposal

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 03:36 PM PST

    Building my first site: Blog, Vector js art, portfolio. Not sure what direction to take.

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 02:04 PM PST

    I'm working on developing a personal site as a place to share stuff I make and with all the potential stack options I feel like a dog with a bucket on its head.

    The stack I'm looking at:

    ExpressVue + VuetifyMongoDB

    But then there are all these things like Nuxt and GraphQL and Strapi which look like they would be very useful and make things more simple in the long run but I don't know where to start. I am having difficulty getting the overhead view of how all these things would fit together.

    So here are some questions I have:

    • Are Nuxt and Express to be used together? Or are they replacements for one another?I like the idea of Server Side rendering but I am going to have Paper.js scripts that will need to be rendered client side so will Express be better for this?
    • How to get a broader picture of how these different techs work together and where to start?It feels like to start using one I need to have the other setup and to start using the other there's a different tech I need to learn. I can't find the starting point.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/thepancake36
    [link] [comments]

    Challenges with distributed systems at Amazon

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 05:01 PM PST

    How much do I need to copy from a site

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 04:21 PM PST

    I'm trying to download the html from a site I want to use, and change up of course. I'm new but I know inspect element, how do I download each thing? Is there an easier way or can I only do inspect element and copy and paste each individually? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/SidMcHunry2847
    [link] [comments]

    Chromeos

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 04:16 PM PST

    Hey,

    I'm after my first Chromebook, I will mostly use it for Youtube and Netflix but I will also use it to develop websites. At the moment I have a PC which I do all my main builds ect but sometimes I can't access it so i'm after a Chromebook to fill the gap.

    My enquiry is, can one run the following applications:

    Discord, WinSCP, Atom, NodeJS, WAMP/XAMPP and Onedrive to access files.

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/Thisisntsteve
    [link] [comments]

    Need VPS service thats been around a while for wordpress & domains.

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 03:30 PM PST

    Looking for good/affordable vps service provider thats been around a while. Like to set up a control panel (pre-packaged preferred) and migrate 20 or so domains. Only one is active at the moment. Need domain hosting for myself and mostly use for wordpress. Possibly some mail. Not interested in Godaddy, Hostgator, Blue Host etc. This is for personal use at this time.

    submitted by /u/Tech5D
    [link] [comments]

    How do I hightlight an area like this with Google's JavaScript Maps API? I'm using Angular and @AGM/CORE. I already have a map displayed, I just want to know how I would highlight an area like this.

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 11:27 AM PST

    Admin LTE

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 03:03 PM PST

    https://adminlte.io/

    What do you think about this? I just recently found this admin template and it's completely for free. What about using something like this in production and real projects? Not only admin dashboards..making custom components?

    Or are angular and react a better option (I'm considering learning one of these bad boys). I'm a backend developer and want to make things look good on the client side and this template seems really nice for a lot o use cases.

    What do you think? Are these templates a thing of the past? Are angular/react the only things to consider for UI elements today and the future?

    Sorry. A lot of questions..

    Thanks! If you have something else to recommend, feel free :)

    submitted by /u/tanat0s
    [link] [comments]

    Authenticating REST API through /auth endpoint.

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 03:01 AM PST

    So, I'm designing a REST API and want to nail the authentication. I have done standalone auth-server with JWT-authentication which is then implemented as a gatekeeper proxy for the API, in the past. In this project however, I'm not interested in having a standalone server. Is there any downside to just moving the auth-functionality to an endpoint in the api and then requiring each route to have a valid JWT? The only downside I see, is that the API then becomes vulnerable to DOS on unauthenticated requests. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Bonner95
    [link] [comments]

    Is this you? No, really, is this you?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 02:14 PM PST

    How do you develop a web application using an external API without making too many requests?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 02:08 PM PST

    Hi everyone! I'm trying to learn how to use external APIs in applications using React. Is there any best practices/guidelines when calling APIs in development?

    I'm using a free video game API. While trying to figure out how to code a feature with it, I made 2000 requests in like an hour...oops.

    submitted by /u/triforcepizza
    [link] [comments]

    CakePHP Vs Laravel - Do we NEED to upgrade?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 02:08 PM PST

    We have a custom developed website using CakePHP. Our website has some custom functionality to it (like a SAAS). We started this development in 2012. Since then, we have poured nearly 6 figures into back end development creating numerous systems to save us time, make us more efficient, etc.. In addition, the front end was custom designed. Our blog is Wordpress, but it was customized to match the look of our CakePHP website.

    We are currently running CakePhP 2.10.18 (please don't crucify me) and I'm told 4.0 is the latest. Our developer is recommending we ditch CakePHP all together and go with Laravel for backend and Angular, Vue or React for frontend.

    My concern is that we have spent literally 8 years and a ton of money developing our current system. It works and we're basically "done" with the exception of minor tweaks/updates. We don't have any huge changes needed to our system and I doubt we will in the next few years. If we switch to Lavarel, we're basically starting over from scratch and I don't want to spend a TON of money and time with basically no value to us.

    So, do we need to upgrade? Is CakePHP going to kill us in the long run or can we continue using it for the next few years until an upgrade is absolutely necessary? It sounds like we need to upgrade CakePHP to the latest version at the very least. Our developer is making is sound like no one will be able to work on our project in the future as the technology is simply too old using Cake. Any feedback would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/madman962
    [link] [comments]

    Ikonate – fully customisable & accessible vector icons

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 10:16 AM PST

    How to achieve top level menu overlay?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 01:52 PM PST

    Hi everyone.

    For science and personal knowledge I'd like to make a multi application menu like the one in Office 365 or AWS Management Console. A menu that can overlay any internal web apps.

    After Googling for hours, I still can't find what I can do to achieve something like this. I'm requesting for help or any ressources that can lead me in the right direction.

    Is this some backend aggregation ? I frame ? Server dark magic ?

    I'm a bit lost and don't know where and what to look for.

    submitted by /u/damfle
    [link] [comments]

    Best place to get a domain

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 01:42 PM PST

    Hey everyone! I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'm looking to buy a domain, I was looking in google domains until I realized they don't sell in my country. Do you guys have any recommendations?

    submitted by /u/SwoopingSnek
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment