• Breaking News

    Monday, February 24, 2020

    I'm not an artist but here is how I draw this character using the curvature pen tool in Photoshop then imported it to Unity , rigged it , applied inverse kinematics and did the idle animation - step by step videos in comments

    I'm not an artist but here is how I draw this character using the curvature pen tool in Photoshop then imported it to Unity , rigged it , applied inverse kinematics and did the idle animation - step by step videos in comments


    I'm not an artist but here is how I draw this character using the curvature pen tool in Photoshop then imported it to Unity , rigged it , applied inverse kinematics and did the idle animation - step by step videos in comments

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 08:12 AM PST

    Chrome Dino Replica Game in JavaScript | HTML5 Canvas Tutorial

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 02:15 AM PST

    Making Games That Stand Out and Survive

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 06:02 AM PST

    Best way to spend money for advertising an indie game?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 08:29 AM PST

    Hello Reddit!

    Does some of you have any experience with paid advertisement or else for promoting an indie game (on steam) ?

    Let say we between 500$ and 1500$ available, what would you say is the most efficient way of spending it?

    As most of game dev are strugling with money, there is not much information available on this topic and I can't really find some fresh data.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/MijuGames
    [link] [comments]

    "art tests"

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 07:23 AM PST

    Hi, I hope this is the right place to post this.

    I'm a professor teaching a Maya to Unity workflow as an art class. About half my students are CS and half are Fine Art. It's a higher level art elective and many of them are seniors starting to look at the job market. My background is in Fine Arts (think interactive sculpture) and I've never pursued a career path in animation or game dev.

    This week, several of my students were commiserating with each other about the hours they're sinking into so-called "art tests" trying to get an interview. When I first heard about this it sounded like a scam, but looking into it it appears to be legit for many studios.

    I guess I'm wondering what the deal is? How difficult are the tests? How long should they take? Can an applicant request a different way to prove their skills? What is it showing that a portfolio doesn't show?

    I'm concerned that this favors students from wealthier backgrounds who aren't working while they're in school, and I'm considering an optional "double dip" option to accept the results of a test as an assignment.

    Any thoughts would be valued.

    submitted by /u/hiImProfThrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    Studio asking me to lower my prices?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 09:32 AM PST

    (Posting for a friend who doesn't have a reddit)

    Hello, I'm a freelance illustrator and animator. I've been creating for about 7+ years now and have a degree in animation and business. I decided to begin freelancing this year and I've been applying to game studios for any art/animation positions and recently come across a client asking me to lower my prices.

    They said that they "spoke to their colleagues" and stated I was charging 5 times what a normal freelancer would charge. I really don't think this is correct as this would be literally $20 for a fully rendered 2D character (for a studio that already sells games.) He also claimed that he has a client who's been in the industry for 40+ years who creates concept art for $150.

    Are they correct? Should I lower my prices and try to get the job anyways?

    I value myself and my work but I'm also fairly new to this and unsure if my livable wage for work is too much.

    Either way, this company seems fairly rude to their artists so I would avoid them at all costs. (PM if you want to know the studio)

    submitted by /u/avoidghost
    [link] [comments]

    Just so everyone is aware, there is a free Blender port for the famous 'Orb' brushes, which are basically industry standard for stylized sculpting. I made a video to demonstrate how to DL & use them.

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 10:23 AM PST

    How many hours do you spend working on your game?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 03:33 AM PST

    On the days that you do?

    I feel like I'm not doing enough, finding balance is tricky.

    submitted by /u/alastair____
    [link] [comments]

    What are the main struggles of an indie game developer?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 10:27 AM PST

    Most GameDev that i know complain about the indie game world being too much crowded where there are too much games for the people willing to play them. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Qudocoin
    [link] [comments]

    What are acceptable ways to market your game on reddit? Been struggling at it as of late

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 08:59 AM PST

    What You Can Expect From the Next Generation of Gaming - Xbox Wire

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 09:39 AM PST

    Anyone know a good discord or something for upcoming developers?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 10:33 AM PST

    I've been a gaming addict for over a decade now and have decided to up and away with the Xbox. I went from 10 hour days on Xbox to working full time and game development and learning fast. I'm wanting a small community that is interactive and helps one another and possibly works on projects together. Does anyone know of any I could join?

    submitted by /u/Shawtts
    [link] [comments]

    Online mode in a non-deterministic, ragdoll physics based fighting game - possible?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 01:24 AM PST

    I'm developing a 1vs1 fighting game, where characters are basically ragdolls, hits are literally ragdoll collisions. So it's not like Street Fighter, where if I stand 1m from enemy I will always hit his hitbox with 40 damage. In my game, I might not, because some inertia moves ragdolls a bit differently, or collision force decides it was 34.9 damage.

    The game is non-deterministic, meaning, if I press "punch" 6 times in one duel, and I will press "punch" 6 times in another duel, I will get a different result - depending on physics, collision point, animation time, inertia etc.

    At the same time, the game is very, very fast and twitchy, characters take whole screen, and you clearly see where something hit - precision is the core of the game (as in "you missed by 1 inch and my attack landed on your wrist"). I don't want to cover it up with a giant particle, that would defeat the purpose.

    Is it even possible to have a (playable) online mode in this (with Ping 100 for example)? I'm starting to think "no", but maybe I don't know of some magic netcode or something?

    (I know that's not how hardcore competetive e-sport fighting games work. I'm not trying to make one)

    submitted by /u/Kubold
    [link] [comments]

    Research Project: Causes of Crunch in Videogame Development

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 10:41 AM PST

    Hi All,

    I am looking for individuals with game development experience who might be willing to assist me with an academic research project. I am hoping to establish by means of surveys and interviews the causes of crunch and how they might be better managed industry-wide. If you would be willing to assist or have any recommendations for groups or individuals who might then please get in touch.

    submitted by /u/JAHandRGU
    [link] [comments]

    A youTube channel made a great playthru video of my WIP game. How best do I leverage this (re: ethically and for marketing)?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 09:58 AM PST

    My game is having a beta test, and will be released via Steam Early Access at some point. I don't have any gameplay videos created for it yet, and a YouTube channel made a long (27 minutes) really great gameplay video featuring it. They did such a good job that I probably would make a worse video if I did it myself. How do I leverage this, apart from being grateful?

    I assume I can't or shouldn't directly add the video to my game's YouTube channel, right? Is there some way for me to try and ensure potential players find and view the video, or do I need to make my own gameplay video from scratch?

    In terms of marketing, I assume it's fine to link to the video in posts on Facebook and Twitter. I could probably link to it on the game's website (I'd mention the YouTube channel, to try and give them credit and exposure). Anything else I should do marketing-wise in response to the video having been made?

    I don't want to do anything unethical or offend the great people who made the video, but of course I want to steer some people toward the video so that they can check out the gameplay.

    submitted by /u/PolychromeMan
    [link] [comments]

    I am a freelance developer and I think I screwed up

    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 09:38 PM PST

    So, last week I got my first gig. Really didn't know how much to charge, so I charged $250 for a full 2d game, almost 2 weeks of work. The thing is, I applied for another gig (a full-time one) as a junior developer. I stated I wanted $1200 per month and they hired me. After looking up hourly rates, I really think I seriously underpriced myself. Anyway, the contract for the full-time gig is for a test month only, so I think I could turn that one down after the month. Now I am afraid of getting stuck in this underpaid full time job. When freelancing, is it better to do "short" projects yourself, of getting hired kind of full time? Any advice is appreciated hahahah

    Btw, I am a junior developer. Got a few projects completed and some courses, but no more than that.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/genesyssss
    [link] [comments]

    Halftone Effect in Unity (from Kirby Star Allies)

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 06:56 AM PST

    Making a game you wouldn't play/are bad at?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 03:50 AM PST

    This might be a stupid question, but hear me out.

    I'm a newbie Dev who is very much still learning and practicing. I've been wondering about the first few games I should make, which are re-creations of pong, asteroids, etc., the most complicated of which would be a Super Mario clone.

    My only concern with making a platformer is that I am bad at them. I don't play them. I don't have the patience for them. I could probably make one, but I also probably wouldn't be able to test it well or beat it.

    Do any of you make games that you suck at or from genres you don't enjoy?

    submitted by /u/Disrupter52
    [link] [comments]

    Change Ranger: Development Diary I Part 2

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 12:29 PM PST

    Resources for learning data structures (ideally) in a game context?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 12:24 PM PST

    Hey all, I've been tinkering away at an attempt at a simple ARPG/loot grinder as a nice challenge to come back to now and again. This and my research into the development of PoE, Torchlight, Grim Dawn etc etc has brought a number of programming questions that I would love to tackle like packaging damage calculations per projectile or proper item inventory storage for flexible sorting options.

    Currently I have some kind of answer for most of these hurdles but I'm confident there are more optimized ways to approach them, and as with most calculation intensive games every millisecond counts! So anyone here know of some good resources to use to help me learn my way around some more advanced data structure methods? I don't expect many (or any, really) to be specifically gamedev related so anything for a good start will do.

    Thanks guys.

    submitted by /u/ArmaMalum
    [link] [comments]

    �� Texture Atlasing / Blender 2.8

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 12:11 PM PST

    🕹 Texture Atlasing / Blender 2.8

    Hola!

    Utilmamente he estado realizando una serie de tutoriales sobre Blender 2.8, ya que ha tenido muchos cambios respecto a su versión anterior, así que con la intensión de ayudarlos en la adecuación de este maravilloso software, con mucha ilusión les comparto este video.

    En esta ocasión les comparto algo muy importante para quienes somos Technical Artists y queremos que nuestros proyectos corran en la mayor gama de dispositiovos posible, y para esto vamos a necesitar que nuestros objetos compartan una sola textura y material, a esta técnica se le llama Texture Atlasing y ahora mismo en Blender 2.8 es mas fácil que nunca.

    Espero que esto les sea de gran ayuda con sus proyectos

    https://youtu.be/RldiVa9vGz0

    https://preview.redd.it/vf6spe2sixi41.png?width=1280&format=png&auto=webp&s=6b483144815247761eb3e016027d551b3a4b2dc1

    submitted by /u/APC_cr
    [link] [comments]

    How do you judge the feasability of your games?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 11:45 AM PST

    We all have plenty of ideas, likely. Here are some of mine:

    • A Harry Potter-like RPG, where you follow school and learn magic spells
    • A first person spell sword game, where you combine sword fighting a la mount and blade with spells you can cast with your left hand (shields, stuns, burns, etc)
    • A rogue lite first person shooter on a hand crafted map, but with randomized drops and starting locations
    • An open world zombie game, where you get a starting position and end position on the map, and you have to reach the end with your team without dying. Gather loot, cars, fuel, etcetera.

    And many more. How do you decide what to work on, what should remain a dream, and what could work for your next game?

    submitted by /u/RaptorDotCpp
    [link] [comments]

    Procedural vs Handcrafted Worlds?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 11:27 AM PST

    Hi,

    I am new to this subreddit, soo don't expect anything huge :P

    I have myself enjoyed both procedurally generated and handcrafted worlds. My go-to choice would be procedurally generated worlds, as there is always something new to explore. With handcrafted worlds once you've been everywhere, it's basically just wandering around not really knowing what to because you already know everything. In games which have procedurally generated worlds you can just click a few buttons to have a brand new world with brand new stuff to explore, although.. it isn't really brand new. You've seen it before, just in another shape or order, but I still love being able to explore something new that I haven't explored yet

    So my question here is, which one do you prefer? Procedurally generated or handcrafted worlds? Please also specify why you would go with your choice! Thanks you all, I think I am going to have a great time exploring this subreddit!

    submitted by /u/FishyFrie
    [link] [comments]

    Science Project

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 11:18 AM PST

    Hey everyone I need to interview a developer for a school science project of mine and I have a few questions if anyone could help :). Thanks in advance!

    How often do you work on fixing bugs over actually making progress?

    What's the longest time you've spent on a small section of code due to bug fixing and script errors.

    How's the office really like, from media perspectives you have an awesome workspace with lots of cool things to do during break.

    Once a game that you've developed hits the market do you play it at home or does it feel like a chore?

    Many people say video games cause violence, what's your take on this?

    submitted by /u/wattsgaming7
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment