• Breaking News

    Wednesday, February 12, 2020

    ELI5: What is the difference between a container and a virtual machine? Computer Science

    ELI5: What is the difference between a container and a virtual machine? Computer Science


    ELI5: What is the difference between a container and a virtual machine?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 11:02 AM PST

    I understand that a virtual machine is a self contained operating system running on another piece of hardware(ex - running a windows virtual machine on linux) - emulation

    I know all virtual machines on a machine will share that machine's resources(RAM, CPU, Storage)

    From reading about containers, I can't differentiate them and virtual machines and identify what problems containers are supposed to address that virtual machines can't.

    One thing I did learn was that containers require less overhead than virtual machines because you're emulating an entire operating system with virtual machines

    Can someone give an ELI5 explanation of the difference between a virtual machine and a container? When would you want to use one over the other?

    submitted by /u/Truetree9999
    [link] [comments]

    Beyond SPADE: Introducing Semantic Region-Adaptive Normalization for Image Synthesis

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 08:07 PM PST

    Semantic region-adaptive normalization (SEAN) is a simple but effective building block for conditional Generative Adversarial Networks (cGAN).

    Read more

    submitted by /u/Yuqing7
    [link] [comments]

    Interest groups in support of Oracle in Oracle vs Google?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 07:35 PM PST

    Hi all. I'm writing about Oracle vs Google for a paper. I'm having a lot of trouble finding interest groups that are in support of Oracle. All the amici curiae briefs that have been submitted are in support of the petitioner, Google. Other than the brief submitted by the Solicitor General, is there any interest groups that support Oracle? I'd really appreciate if anybody had a source showing an interest groups support, I can't seem to find anything.

    submitted by /u/ogyk24
    [link] [comments]

    Question about determining parities

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 07:03 PM PST

    I'm very confused by this question, and would appreciate any resources about how to start approaching it:

    Assuming that the data bits are 1010 before they are transmitted and 1000 after they are received, calculate parities P_1, P_2, and P_4 to verify that D_6 went wrong during the transmission.

    submitted by /u/Ninjinka
    [link] [comments]

    [Discussion] AAAI 2020 | A Turning Point for Deep Learning? Hinton, LeCun, and Bengio Might Have Different Approaches

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 01:12 PM PST

    Wanna share this comprehensive article I read after watching the video: A Turning Point for Deep Learning? Hinton, LeCun, and Bengio Might Have Different Approaches

    Any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/rockyrey_w
    [link] [comments]

    Recursion

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 10:59 PM PST

    Can someone plz explain recursion in Java to me. My teacher is hella bad and I'm literally dying over my hw that involves palindromes rn. Thx

    submitted by /u/Mikrill_in_october
    [link] [comments]

    How do I transform myself into being more confident in my knowledge of CS

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 08:35 AM PST

    A little bit of self image: I am a lousy student who only studies enough to pass the course And so far I've done quite well Have been on a merit scholarship l since my first semester and it's my last year now.

    I sure am doing computer science bit I am not a big fan of continuing it as a career. You'd then ask, why didn't I change major? Well it's complicated. and by the time I was sure that I absolutely do not see myself succeeding in this field, it was too late. Now, I just want to finish my degree and get done with it already. It is surprising how I managed to always be a distinction student.

    But now I'm so tired. Man I'm so damn tired!!!!! Of myself. Of me telling myself I'm not made for this. I wanna make myself for it. I want to be knowledgeable in this field. I WANT TO BE GOOD AT IT. I want to like it.

    How would you, a person who is in this field and like it, give me tips to enjoy what I'm doing?

    One would say, that these things come naturally. Passion, enjoyment, preferences. I don't know but I think they can be built with time. Anyone can be good at anything. I hope so. I would appreciate anyone's valuable input as I'm hella confused. Hell I'm not even sure which subreddit this post is gonna go in... r/selfhelp ? r/computerscience ? r/comfidence ? r/help ?

    submitted by /u/pieceoffrie
    [link] [comments]

    Feb. 26, free Talk on Fairness in Machine Learning with Tulsee Doshi, Product Lead for Google's ML Fairness Effort

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 07:39 AM PST

    February 26 at 12 pm EST, join Tulsee Doshi for the free ACM TechTalk "Fairness in Machine Learning."

    As we build machine learning models intended for a global and diverse user base, it is also important to ensure that the outcome is inclusive of that user base. In this talk, Doshi present a few lessons Google has learned through our products and research, and share some of the approaches developers can take to evaluate and improve fairness concerns.

    Register free to attend live or on demand.

    submitted by /u/ACMLearning
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment