• Breaking News

    Saturday, February 29, 2020

    Do you ever stop feeling like an imposter? Is this job too good for me? learn programming

    Do you ever stop feeling like an imposter? Is this job too good for me? learn programming


    Do you ever stop feeling like an imposter? Is this job too good for me?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 10:04 AM PST

    So first some context on me: I'm self taught, I started writing code about 6/7 years ago and was fairly well known within the GTA and the Forza modding community. I started with C++ & C# making games and reversing them and now work with PHP, React & GraphQL as a (mostly) backend developer. I have 0 qualifications and a little over a year of commercial development experience total.

    With that out of the way, I'm 3 months in to my new job and it's amazing. I left my last company due to numerous ongoing disagreements with the CEO and when I was offered the role I'm currently in I jumped headfirst in to it and quit where I was working at the time.

    Everything has been amazing and I know that there's an adjustment period when your start a new job or work on a new codebase for the first time but I've had one of the worst weeks of my software development career due to crippling self doubt and the inability to work at a normal pace on a legacy codebase that we manage.

    I ended the week today having missed a moderately important deadline because I just don't understand how this codebase works and struggled to push it over the line.

    This new job is a big step up from what I've done previously, making the jump from junior to midweight developer and a substantial bump in salary too. All of the people around me who are also midweight developers have 3+ years of commercial experience and qualifications and then there's me who showed up with a portfolio and a years commercial experience.

    Does this feeling of being a total fraud ever go away? I know I'm as capable if not more so than some of the people around me but that doesn't change the way that I feel. I honestly can't say that I can call myself a programmer which feels weird with the number of years I've writing code.

    I just don't think I'm any good at what I do despite the logical part of my brain presenting overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

    Please guide more experienced developers for I am but a poor lowly fool .

    EDIT: Thanks to everyone who commented, nice to know I'm not alone in this feeling. Have a lovely Friday evening everyone 👍

    submitted by /u/MilkTheSloth
    [link] [comments]

    What do I need to learn to make websites like this? (Example in the post)

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 01:26 AM PST

    Hello sorry if this is not the right place to ask, this is my first time in this sub

    Soooo.. this is the website I mentioned, or maybe this.

    I'm not a developer tho, I'm a UX Designer (and designed other things too from past experiences) but I've learned a little bit about things like HTML5, CSS, and JavaScript. I was thinking that I want to make sites like them just for fun, but I figured that rather than just some mockups I want to try learning how to develop it myself. After all, it's better for a designer to know how to make the things they designed, no?

    What I'm especially curious about websites like them are how do I implement the 3D and animations into the website. But if anyone could explain from the basics how to make them, about what I should learn first and etc, please do!! Thanks in advance

    Edit: Seeing how some people said that they don't like websites like these, I think I need to add on it as a designer. These kinds of websites obviously couldn't be implemented for company sites with regular uses, such as e-commerce or, like the second site, to sell your product. The first one is a bit better since it's for showcasing their product, but it's still not ideal because it forces you to wait for all the fixed-scrolling and animations. People usually just want to go into the site, learn or look for what they wanted, and then do what they need to do in the website/apps (usually provoked with a CTA somewhere).

    What I'm looking from learning this is for design explorations. Sure, they're not applicable in professional work, but exploring in design is important to improve our imaginations. It could work as both design and developer portfolio, if I could make it on my own. As someone said here, the ones who will appreciate looking at these are mostly designers and developers. It's like an architect making a installation that's useless, but thought-provoking regarding the design.

    submitted by /u/Ypekiyay
    [link] [comments]

    How difficult/challenging were your college courses for computer programming?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 07:05 PM PST

    I feel like my assignments are challenging, but they can be too challenging. Seeing other people understand it better than I do makes me feel out of place at college. Did you ever feel the same way, or did it just "click" with you?

    submitted by /u/CourtofTalons
    [link] [comments]

    Randomizing an array after a prompt is completed

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 09:51 PM PST

    I am having trouble randomizing my array after the first randomization. Each refresh my code will display a new prompt from an array and the user can type the prompt and be checked for errors but once they complete a prompt the prompt won't change. How would I approach this?

    HTML https://pastebin.com/dgskjyRb

    JavaScript https://pastebin.com/mQYvBaL9

    submitted by /u/threadofariadne1
    [link] [comments]

    Today I had my first very own learning session

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 06:15 PM PST

    I tried to learn coding before but I'm more motivated than ever. I always got unmotivated to learn because I would go into it, get all this info and wouldn't make sense so I kind of gave up. Now this is different!!! I set up a plan for myself!! I made my very own Bootcamp. For the next 2 months I will put all the hours I can. I work a full time job so on weekdays I can put 4 hours a day into it. On the weekends my plan is to learn for 12 hours a day. I know it sounds too crazy or I'll burn myself out. It's only 2 months, exactly 400 hours from my calculations . Even if I hate it sometimes or I get bored, I'm gonna push myself. Today's session was on team treehouse. I did some research on what I want to do in tech and I decided on web development. My plan is to learn HTML first, css, then JavaScript. Today I did get kinda bored, but at some points I found it interesting. I ended my session with a task on team treehouse, there were multiple times I wanted to give up, I would have in the past, but I looked at the time and it was not the full 4 hours yet, so I gotta continue to push it. I finished the task, it was not done right but it was close. I do believe I have learnt a lot about HTML in the 4 hours I have done learning today. The only thing I knew today before I started was hello world, so anything is a plus. Sorry for this long blurb but I'm getting excited and I have no one to share this with. This is day 1 of my own 2 month Bootcamp. Tomorrow will be a 12 hour long session, I am excited but also scared that I will give up, but I WONT. I set up break periods and a lunch break so I don't believe I will burn myself out learning HTML.

    submitted by /u/rainx5000
    [link] [comments]

    How do I create a GUI for a choose your own adventure game I already wrote?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 10:49 PM PST

    So basically I have a choose your own adventure game I'm making for a school project and I already wrote the game and I'm trying to figure out the quickest way to make the text from the choose your own adventure show up on backgrounds I made.

    For reference this is how the code is formatted throughout the game:

    answer = input('You live in Valencia, Venezuela. You have 2 kids, and a significant other. You barely have enough '
    'money to take care of your family, food is running out, and electricity outages are a daily '
    'occurrence. Do you want to leave in search of a better life? [y/n]')

    if answer.lower().strip() == 'y' :
    answer = input('Great, good decision. First should you prepare for the trip by buying supplies? [y/n]')
    if answer.lower().strip() == 'y' :
    print('Trick question there is a food shortage. Oh well, I guess you\'ll have to hope for the best.')
    elif answer.lower().strip() == 'n' :
    print('Cool. If your family starves to death just remember it is 100% your fault')

    submitted by /u/CasualHawk
    [link] [comments]

    program works on online ide but not codeblocks

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 08:44 PM PST

    hi everyone so i used onlinegdb(link below) initially to make my program and it did what I intended. When I ran it on codeblocks however, it compiled successfully but all I get is a blank screen and it never reaches the count cout statement. I saved the .txt file in the same folder as the .cpp and .o file Why is this? How could I improve my code?

    code: https://onlinegdb.com/S1iyhDw48

    edit: the cout prompts from lines 15-16 do display but not the .txt file or count incrementer

    submitted by /u/2kfan
    [link] [comments]

    My toggle button is DESTROYED after switching tabs, pls help [WPF/XAML/C#]

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 09:24 PM PST

    So... I'm really stuck in this problem, I have no idea what is wrong, even after isolating most of the code I could, the error still happens.

    Here's a Gif of me showing the error happening in my app:https://pasteboard.co/IWS3mfv.gif

    Context:
    I have a TabControl with tabs, each tab has an UserControl and inside it, I have a ToggleButton. This ToggleButton has an external style applied to it that changes its content based on the value of the IsChecked property.

    The problem:
    If I click on tab A the ToggleButton will appear with its expected content.
    Then If I click on tab B the ToggleButton will also appear with its expected content.
    But if I click on tab A again the ToggleButton will not appear.
    Clicking again on tab B shows the ToggleButton normally, but tab A will still not display it.

    Tests:
    This problem will happen with tab B if it's the first one to be clicked and A will behave normally.
    The error doesn't happen if I use the style directly in the ToggleButton.
    The error doesn't happen if the IsChecked property from the ToggleButton is set to False.
    The error seems to happen independently of how the ToggleButton content is implemented, so, if I use an Image or a Texblock as the content, it doesn't matter.

    Additional Info:
    There are no connections between the tabs, they are all 100% independent.
    Do I need to have the style externally in a ResourceDictionary? No... but it's more organized.

    ToggleButton Style Code:

    <Style TargetType="ToggleButton" x:Key="checkBoxPoe"> <Setter Property="Template"> <Setter.Value> <ControlTemplate TargetType="{x:Type ToggleButton}"> <Label Name="lbl"/> <ControlTemplate.Triggers> <Trigger Property="IsChecked" Value="True"> <Setter TargetName="lbl" Property="Content"> <Setter.Value> <Image Source="../Images/checkbox_on.png"/> </Setter.Value> </Setter> </Trigger> <Trigger Property="IsChecked" Value="False"> <Setter TargetName="lbl" Property="Content"> <Setter.Value> <Image Source="../Images/checkbox_off.png"/> </Setter.Value> </Setter> </Trigger> </ControlTemplate.Triggers> </ControlTemplate> </Setter.Value> </Setter> </Style> 

    UserControl Code:

    <UserControl> ... <ToggleButton IsChecked="False" Style="{StaticResource checkBoxPoe}"/> </UserControl> 

    TabControl Code:

    Origin: SearchPage.xaml <TabControl SelectedIndex="9"> <TabItem Style="{StaticResource filterTabItem}"> <TabItem.Header>A</TabItem.Header> <Frame Content="{Binding ItemSourceA}"/> </TabItem> <TabItem Style="{StaticResource filterTabItem}"> <TabItem.Header>B</TabItem.Header> <Frame Content="{Binding ItemSourceB}"/> </TabItem> </TabControl> Frame contents are set on the constructor of the ViewModel of this page like... ItemSourceA = new ItemSourceA() and that's it. 

    What if...

    submitted by /u/xevilcorp43
    [link] [comments]

    Is choosing the RIGHT programming language have impact on ram / CPU usage ?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 11:28 PM PST

    Hello , i'm not really good at explaining but i'll do my best

    I'm trying to get into programming to make desktop windows software and i want them to have the minimum possible execution time and RAM/CPU usage

    so my question is :

    - Is choosing the RIGHT programming language have impact on ram / CPU usage ?

    (i already know about python being the slowest ...etc but what about the hardware usage)

    OR

    - It doesn't really matter what lang i use and it's just the code it self which matters

    Thanks In Advance

    submitted by /u/Evil_Tamato
    [link] [comments]

    Do you browse through the code of projects on github to grasp a better understanding of software development

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 02:54 AM PST

    I've been told by at least one person that this is just as an effective way to learn code as reading the documentation for the programming language that you are learning and the programming books. What do you think?

    submitted by /u/JanePoe87
    [link] [comments]

    Any good tutorial on the basics of understanding and using programming?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 09:12 PM PST

    Please help me understand the basic tools used and how to use them? I have difficulty visualising them as tools and how and when to use them like a toolbox full of tools.

    submitted by /u/kilorod640
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for good online sources for understanding classes and objects

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 08:20 PM PST

    Im struggling to really grasp the concept. Im working in python

    submitted by /u/_roguelegate
    [link] [comments]

    Huge Python Project

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 06:45 PM PST

    Hey! I want to make a compiler that runs my own programming language in Python. How would I go about this?

    submitted by /u/JoePixelFlames
    [link] [comments]

    What programming language should I learn next? Java or Python?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 09:23 PM PST

    I've been learning C++ for quite a while now. And I've decided to learn another programming language because I feel that it would make me more flexible. Which language should I learn if I have a background in C++? Your recommendations will be much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/PeeweeTuna34
    [link] [comments]

    Do the memberships in the GitHub Student Developer Pack activate with receiving the pack?

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 12:16 AM PST

    Do the memberships included in the GSDP activate as soon as you're approved for the pack, or do you have to go through applying to the services with a promotional code included with the pack? I've been holding off on applying for the pack since my assumption was the former and I wanted to have free time to get the most out of it.

    submitted by /u/Quick_Question404
    [link] [comments]

    [Processing] I'm trying to code a brute forcer for Proth Primes, but the program isn't responding to any if loops and instead simply executing the code inside of if loops. What steps can I take to ensure that if loops and conditions are recognised?

    Posted: 29 Feb 2020 12:10 AM PST

    I'm very interested in mathematics, and I'm trying to use base-level programming to brute-force a Proth Prime. However, I noticed that instead of checking for the conditions and carrying out loops, the program instead executes the code inside of the loops and terminates itself. The program also hated "else", which is why the program is the way it is. The program is only around 20 lines long.

    int k = 21181; int n = 2; int p = k*(n^2)+1; int i = 2; if (i != p-1); { if (i%p == 0); { i=2; n++; } if (i%p != 0); { i++; } } if (i == p-1); { if (i%p == 0); { i=2; n++ } if (i%p != 0); { println(n); } } 

    What can I to to help ensure that these actually work? I've tried reformatting, and testing with a smaller k variable, and I'm completely stuck. From what I can tell, I'm doing everything right, and there's no outright errors. Why is it outright ignoring the if loops?

    submitted by /u/4sneK_WolFirE
    [link] [comments]

    TypeError: GoogleSheet is not a constructor

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 11:57 PM PST

    I get this error when I run the following code;

    const GoogleSheet = require("google-spreadsheet");

    const { promisify } = require("util");

    const creds = require("./client_secret.json");

    async function accessSpreadsheet() {

    const doc = new GoogleSheet("xxx"); await promisify(doc.useServiceAccountAuth)(creds); const info = await promisify(doc.getInfo)(); const sheet = info.worksheet[0]; console.log(`Title: ${sheet.title}, Rows: ${sheet.rowCount}`); 

    }

    accessSpreadsheet();

    Sorry if this is unreadable. I know this is probably a stupid question with a very simple answer, but if you know how to fix it, I'd be happy to hear!

    submitted by /u/Dutchious
    [link] [comments]

    Up practicing list methods in python and I have a question.

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 11:46 PM PST

    So this is probably a stupid question, but how can I get the user input to remove the list time? I stored their selection in a variable called removed value, but I'm getting an error "ValueError: list.remove(x): x not in list". How can I overcome this error?

    EDIT: I figured it out, I needed to put int(removed_value)

    items = [1,2,3,4,5] print('Select a value to remove: 1,2,3,4,5') selection = input('Input a value to remove: ') removed_value = selection items.remove(removed_value) print(f'You chose to remove the number {removed_value}. The new list of values are{items}') 
    submitted by /u/SneakGeek1337
    [link] [comments]

    Creating/writing a program from scratch

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 11:20 PM PST

    I am looking to learning how to code on my own, I have learned html in school but I am looking for something to create a computer program with the following needs,

    Internet Access

    Fully Customizable

    Generate a map using external data

    Creating statistics from math

    Could anyone inform me on what would be the best language/program to help me create such a program? Any responses are greatly appreciated! Thank you

    submitted by /u/ColGhost142
    [link] [comments]

    Reactive Native or Swift?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 11:00 PM PST

    As a first-time app developer, I am debating on whether to code on the reactive native or swift platform. My friend and I are currently designing a homework app that requires a lot of data storing and management. If done with swift, I am worried about missing out on potential users. On the other hand, react native is much more complicated than swift and overall more difficult to manage. What should I do?

    submitted by /u/coliny0125
    [link] [comments]

    Do i need to learn web development?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 10:50 PM PST

    So i started learning python as my coding foundation a couple weeks back, and now im wondering after finishing to learn python,if i would need to learn web development like HTML OR CSS or if it is not essential for me.

    P.S if possible,i would like to be a game developer.

    submitted by /u/Unknown_Doragon_Kira
    [link] [comments]

    I keep blowing my stack. Why is that?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 10:25 PM PST

    function rangeOfNumbers(startNum, endNum) { if (startNum == endNum) { return []; } else { var array; var currentNum = rangeOfNumbers(endNum - 1) array.push(currentNum) return currentNum; } }; console.log(rangeOfNumbers(1, 6)) 

    I thought my base condition is stated in the if condition. Why is it not?

    Thank you,

    submitted by /u/Schopenhaur1859
    [link] [comments]

    Resource to read to create a chat bot/ virtual friend

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 09:45 PM PST

    Hi guys,

    Im having a project in mind to create a virtual friend. I'm trying to look for resources that touch on this topic. I intend to have a set of personality/ hobby already programmed into the bot so it can converse about the topic. My end goal is to make a chat bot that can converse somewhat like a friend and be able to pull information from the internet to reply. I would appreciate if you guys can give me some pointers regarding the resources that touch on this topic. Cheers!

    submitted by /u/Patrokolos666
    [link] [comments]

    What's the process of designing a GUI? How do you do the specification? What tools do you use to share ideas on the GUI's appearence and functionality with other members of the group?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 06:06 AM PST

    We are doing our first serious programming project at college. I've done some GUI stuff in the past, but never in a group. I know that the first step is not to open the editor and start writing. What are some steps I should follow to get the ideas clear?

    • Drawing a mockup of each window of the app. Is there a tool to sketch things up easily and share them?
    • Describing the functionality of the interface, how each part is going to interact with the rest of the program.

    Any tips or resources on how to start? Thank you.

    (Also, our program has to be a desktop app written in Java.)

    submitted by /u/user01110
    [link] [comments]

    Suggest a good language/library for image processing.

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 09:04 PM PST

    Hi! Can someone suggest me a good Language/library for image processing. Something that can be used to add filters( like instagram ) or to edit images ( like PicsArt or photoshop)

    Ps : I have some experience with Python/JavaScript/C++ (But you can suggest other language/library too)

    submitted by /u/WantToBeAnonymsus
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment