• Breaking News

    Saturday, January 4, 2020

    What happens to CPU cache when a task switch occurs? Ask Programming

    What happens to CPU cache when a task switch occurs? Ask Programming


    What happens to CPU cache when a task switch occurs?

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 09:12 PM PST

    It just hit me. Here I am carefully crafting my 'ware to increase cache hits during execution, and a task switch kinda has to cause a full flush, doesn't it?

    submitted by /u/jwizardc
    [link] [comments]

    Accidentally deleted all my code using Git

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 06:42 PM PST

    Ok, so i was using Visual Studio and i heard Git was a great way to manage your files (ironic). Ok, so i installed git and made a github account. I made a directory for my project early this morning and them worked on the code all day.

    I figured i would try to do a branch since the changes i made were not fully workimg, so i pressed to start it. The editor said i couldn't do it because of divergences on the code (?) and gave me two options: stash or checkout. I figured stash meant it would save changes before making the github branch, so i clicked it.

    Boom, all the files i didn't modify were gone. I panicked and tried again, clicking on the checkout option. Boom, the files i worked all day were also gone. They didn't appear on github, nor are stored locally. I have just a copy of what i had yesterday. What can i do?

    submitted by /u/Lv35Boss
    [link] [comments]

    Should you obscure your web application functionality?...

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 06:47 AM PST

    So this is a thing I see a lot in many web services, there's a lot of obscurity, it's not clear why thing work the way they do, and there's no way to figure it out unless you run a development build, code is uglified, there's server logic you cannot see through.

    I am currently writting some web framework, and everything runs crystal clear, you can literally run the development client code in production builds by the turns of a switch; you can enter a playground to do manual requests and see all the options and it is fully documented, the app doesn't stop you, since this is the same code that runs on the server side, you can predict how the server is handling anything.

    The way I see it, I don't gain anything by hiding this and separating client and server code core functionality (yes there are differences, but the core is the same), other than making development hard... the way I see it I should be able to hand you the whole server side code, and you shouldn't be able to crack it, I have nothing to hide.

    But every other developer I show this seems outraged about this, they think is a security flaw, but is this same clarity that has allowed me to build a strong multilayered security model and ridiculous consistency; every other web app I've worked before hasn't had this consistency because they try to hide how it works so hard, but to me, the client is nothing but the server with incomplete information, and the server is nothing but the client without an interface; the server runs on Node, the client on the browser, the server uses postgres, the client IndexedDB, the server uses redis, the client uses an in memory cache; I can remove the clarity, hash everything with md5, every entry, every name, remove the development and production switch, remove the querier, and when debugging, I'll just be scratching my head.

    Is there a solid reason why people want to obfuscate how their web app works?... am I missing something?...

    submitted by /u/EvilKittyBoy
    [link] [comments]

    What's the easiest to learn way to program visually?

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 07:58 PM PST

    [Windows]

    I've tried python, it didn't really work as intended and I couldn't really figure out an answer to how to do it because when I looked up questions stack overflow was like "ur library bad use dis" and I got confused so I gave up. I have tried to look a bit at c++, didn't really seem simple or doable at my level of knowledge. I have tried C# (well an outdated version of it at least) which surprisingly worked but I couldn't for the life of me get it to detect keystrokes. Web apps would also work for my small project I guess.

    submitted by /u/BloonEater
    [link] [comments]

    How worried should we be of AI taking over jobs.?

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 08:46 PM PST

    General tips on avoiding trouble with GStreamer+Python?

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 07:31 PM PST

    Hey guys! I've got a fairly dynamic app that often creates pipelines on-demand to play sound effects and such, and I've noticed quite a bit of issues.

    First I was having memory leaks, because as it turns out you have to explicitly clean up message bus listeners.

    Now, I seem to be having segmentation faults in libffi related to the message bus(Which I imagine have to do with a race condition where my callbacks get GCed too early, and libffi still tries to call them?). I'm not entirely sure if I'm cleaning up the listeners correctly, to be honest...

    Given the huge number of ways to shoot yourself in the foot with GStreamer (I'm not sure I've ever spent as much as time debugging as I do whenever I use GStreamer, but there doesn't seem to be much of an alternative...), has anyone ever compiled a list or wiki of the most common problems people run into?

    It seems like that would be incredibly valuable.

    Thanks guys!

    submitted by /u/EternityForest
    [link] [comments]

    Highest salary job in canada

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 07:00 PM PST

    I don't have a certificate But thought myself programming. I am fluent in web design but would not be scared to teach myself C. I think of doing an online complete course about Angular JS but would end up in jobs starting at 42k$ a year and ceilling at 62k$. It's okay for me but not on the long term. I want to hit 100k$ or more. Since I don't have job experience in the field is starting with Angular JS a good idea? What else should I do now or later?

    submitted by /u/GoaScientist
    [link] [comments]

    I am not good at making friends but want to expand my network. What advice would you give me?

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 09:57 AM PST

    I am a freelance web developer but I have "zero" connections to which I can say I know these much of developers which are my friends. I suck at making friends online.

    Any advice on making a good network online? Oh yes, I have developers in my LinkedIn list.

    submitted by /u/puspendert
    [link] [comments]

    How do you get code from Github and turn it into some usable form?

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 06:08 PM PST

    There's a mod for a NSFW game [Honey Select] that isn't available to DL anymore, but the github post is still there. Developer Page

    I don't know how to convert it into a usable form ( i only took a few intro courses). Is there any advice or resources to help me accomplish this? Github page

    I don't know how to code much at all.

    edit: found a query about a similar situation to mine, but i don't know what to make of the info they are giving

    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/17632505/complile-a-dll-from-github

    The game runs on Unity 3d, i think.

    submitted by /u/thelonebater
    [link] [comments]

    How do i open source the source code of my side project?

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 12:07 PM PST

    I've been working on a side project in the last year. I kept developing the project a couple months after i finish my graduation but now i started to work and i don't have time to keep the development. I have some users that use the web app and some good feedback. I believe the project can have some future, it would be a waste if i just leave it like this. Maybe someone can pick it and improve it.

    I plan to put the code on my github.

    The project make use of some lybraries but as far as i know, they are all open source.

    I don't know much of this field, so i'm looking for something quick and reliable as i am lacking time.

    submitted by /u/Don-g9
    [link] [comments]

    Trouble reading Json file through jquery.

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 02:12 PM PST

    So i'm currently working on a weather project for school which requires reading from a weather forcast API. I'm curretly struggling on reading in the data from the json file.

    Here is my call to the json file where I am trying to read in data from the file.

    $.ajax({

    type:'GET',

    url:'http://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/forecast?zip=' + zipCode + "&APPID=69241a59898e1f53f27afabafa51c0e8",

    success:function(forcast){

    $.each(forcast, function(index, weather){

    var cityName = weather.name;

    var currentIcon = weather.icon;

    //var currentDesc = weather[0].weather.main;

    console.log(weather[0]);

    $("#cityName").text(" " + cityName);

    // $("#currentPhoto").attr("src","http://openweathermap.org/img/w/" + currentIcon + ".png")

    //$("#currentText").text(" " + currentDesc);

    });

    },

    Here is the json file, I am trying to grab the "main" : "Clouds" data for the web application but unsure what the syntax is to do so.

    {

    "cod": "200",

    "message": 0,

    "cnt": 40,

    "list": [

    {

    "dt": 1578096000,

    "main": {

    "temp": 279.04,

    "feels_like": 277.64,

    "temp_min": 278.04,

    "temp_max": 279.04,

    "pressure": 1009,

    "sea_level": 1009,

    "grnd_level": 976,

    "humidity": 96,

    "temp_kf": 1

    },

    "weather": [

    {

    "id": 804,

    "main": "Clouds",

    "description": "overcast clouds",

    "icon": "04n"

    }

    ],

    "clouds": {

    "all": 100

    },

    "wind": {

    "speed": 0.48,

    "deg": 8

    },

    "sys": {

    "pod": "n"

    },

    "dt_txt": "2020-01-04 00:00:00"

    },

    Any help is appreciated, thank you!

    submitted by /u/ctoner2653
    [link] [comments]

    My next step?

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 05:03 AM PST

    Hello everyone, i'm an 18 year old, amateur self-taught programmer and web developer. and this year i will be starting my first year of university, however, i really like to study at home and learn things by myself. I have been learning HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript for quite a bit, and i was wondering if somebody could give me some sort of guidance in how to move forward and advance in my carreer (In terms of programming languages, projects, etc) . I really like web development but i really see myself doing more than that, like actual programs, or apps.

    submitted by /u/Pieroo1
    [link] [comments]

    I am stuck

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 11:10 AM PST

    A warning in advance that I am posting on my phone so some things may not be spelled correctly or something like that.

    Currently I am stuck. I work as a level 2 IT helpdesk analyst and I am trying to make a lateral move to software engineering. I have taken at least 4 programming classes in college and have spent hours upon hours of making half completed games. How ever I never have and projects to show when being interviewed for a position. I finally got a chance to work alongside a team, and study what they do... however I was just lost the whole time. They were using Jenkins alongside github, running scripts that were using golang, ruby, node, and a few more I cant remember. They gave me a mac to try and work on and wanted me to install all packages for an internal server through command prompt. After finally figuring it out, they stopped the program as they felt it was wasting time from my actual position. Now I am in this place where I want to to the move, but dont know how. I studied c#, c, c++, java, javascript, SQL, php, and python. What do I do, how do I do it? Do i need a portfolio, what should be in it? I dont really look at any one field and think i want to be a programmer for that, i just like to program, i just never know what to design on my spare time. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/guiltsifter
    [link] [comments]

    What do publishing and deployment mean?

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 08:22 AM PST

    [Language comparison] Escaping keywords with verbatim identifiers

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 07:46 AM PST

    I'm looking for examples of programming languages which have a mechanism for escaping reserved words so they can be used as identifiers. Sometimes this is called "stropping".

    I have found a few examples, but I'm looking for further examples if possible.

    • C# call this "verbatim identifier", you can prefix an otherwise legal identifier with the @ symbol if it matches a reserved word.

    • VB.Net uses square brackets [Name].

    • SQL can use square brackets, double-quotes or backticks, depending on the platform.

    • Delphi uses &Name.

    • Nim and Scheme use backticks.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/stevenjd
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to dump a subreddit chat room logs into a daily thread on the parent sub?

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 07:25 AM PST

    Askreddit doesn't like this question. Any pointers?

    submitted by /u/HighImOnFire
    [link] [comments]

    How can I make the image responsive (doesnt work!)

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 07:06 AM PST

    Hey all, this is the code I used to try make the image scale in accordance to screen size and yet as soon as I change the screen size, the image just stays the same. The code:

    .image1 {

    background-image: url("background1.jpg");

    background-size: fill;

    background-repeat: no-repeat;

    background-position: fixed;

    max-width: 100%;

    min-width: 100%;

    height: auto;

    width: auto;

    }

    submitted by /u/bumblebee222212
    [link] [comments]

    jQuery text change

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 06:50 AM PST

    Hello. I want to have use jQuery, so that when button is clicked, its color and content changes. However only thing that changes, is button's color, text remains unchanged. Here is the code(antistress is class name for the button):

    $(".antistress").click(function(){ $(".antistress").css("background-color","red"); $(".antistress").text("Shapeshifter AF"); }); 
    submitted by /u/OmniKingBoss
    [link] [comments]

    What are jQuery snippets?

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 05:53 AM PST

    Hello. I am learning jQuery and I want to use CDN version of jQuery, which can be found in "Google developers hosted libraries", but I don't understand what snippets are. We've got 3.x snippet, 2.x snippet and 1.x snippet. How are they different?

    submitted by /u/OmniKingBoss
    [link] [comments]

    [Java 7]

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 03:37 AM PST

    I'm having the issue that I get an abstract class like the following:

    package stickers; public abstract class Kaart implements Comparable<Kaart> { public abstract String getNaam(); public abstract double getWaarde(); public abstract int compareKey(Kaart ander); } 

    and I'm using this one for the subclass Sticker like the following:

    package stickers; public class Sticker extends Kaart { private String naam; private double waarde; public Sticker(String naam, Double waarde) { this.naam = naam; this.waarde = waarde; } @Override public int compareKey(Kaart ander) { if (!(this.getWaarde() == ander.getWaarde())) { return (int) (this.getWaarde() - ander.getWaarde()); //1 als eerste waarde groter is, -1 als eerste waarde kleiner is } else { return this.getNaam().compareTo(ander.getNaam()); } } @Override public int compareTo(Kaart t) { return (int) (this.compareKey(t)); } @Override public String getNaam() { return naam; } @Override public double getWaarde() { return waarde; } @Override public String toString() { return naam + " " + waarde; } } 

    The issue is that I don't know if my "compareKey" method is implemented as needed as I'm supposed to use "compareKey" to compare two of the same classes (stickers in this case) and check which one is bigger and if the value is the same it sorts by name.

    I can't find any documentation on "compareKey" so I've done this as seen in the picture is this correct or am I doing something wrong?

    perhaps another implementation method?

    submitted by /u/Swearinbag
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment