• Breaking News

    Thursday, January 9, 2020

    How to Write a Driver for an Old USB Microscope Ask Programming

    How to Write a Driver for an Old USB Microscope Ask Programming


    How to Write a Driver for an Old USB Microscope

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 06:43 PM PST

    Hey r/AskProgramming,

    I have an old USB-connected microscope, from the Windows 98 era, that I would love to hook up to a linux machine and write a driver to make it work. However, I haven't the foggiest idea where to start.

    I am a programmer by trade, so that part of it is not a problem. I know basic assembly and am very familiar with c-style languages. I'm just not sure what the usual steps/toolsets are for someone who has a piece of hardware and wants to write a driver for it.

    One question in particular comes to mind: would I need a data sheet/map of the chip on the microscope, or is there some kind of program that could map that out for me?

    Any comments, cautions, or resources are greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/jcirclee
    [link] [comments]

    How To Get Back Into Programming?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 10:50 AM PST

    Hey guys,

    I graduated college (Business Information Technology) about two years ago now and haven't really touched any programming since. The reason being is that I've found a couple jobs doing tech support and haven't needed to do any programming and just didn't have the desire to code at home. During college our main language we focused on C++ with Visual Studios. I also spent some time (about a semester each) with other languages such as: JS, Java, PHP, Ruby, Sql and the obvious HTML and CSS. I'm sure we touched on a few others but these were the main ones I can remember.

    I'm looking to start programming again although I feel like almost all of my programming knowledge has been lost and I'm really not sure where to start again. I'm looking more so into the webdev side of things as I enjoyed using JS, PHP with the whole creating websites thing. I didn't mind C++ but I did not enjoy using it anywhere near as much as the others. Working with Ruby on Rails was decent as well however I found it overall to be quite confusing. We created an e-commerce store using ruby on rails and working with the back end as well as the front end confused me quite a bit towards the end of the project from what I can remember.

    With all that out of the way, I guess my main question is what's the best way to get back into programming? I was thinking about just creating a website where I can store my cover letter and resume but I honestly forget a lot of JS and how to incorporate it properly into HTML. I was also debating on maybe taking a course through Udemy for JS. My only problem with this is that I know a few of my friends who are in the industry currently are mainly using angular or react I believe it is. Would I be better of learning one of those instead?

    If you made it this far thank you so much for reading and any advice you have for me.

    TLDR: went to school for IT/Programming but didn't use it for a couple years and slowly forgot lots of it. Looking to get back into it (web dev side of things) and wondering the best language/way to go about learning it again.

    submitted by /u/SoulessPuppet
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a reason to use private global variables in java

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 12:34 PM PST

    Im learning java and was wondering about this?

    submitted by /u/pjk1
    [link] [comments]

    how to make simple program in ubuntu?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 06:47 PM PST

    I feel like this sounds simple to do but I am not really clear on how but how can one make a simple program/executable(?) to take pdf file, that takes a number (for resolution in dpi) and uses pdftkoppm commands to convert a pdf file into image pdftoppm and then take the converted order images to pdf using img2pdf which i can execute easily and quickly?

    submitted by /u/ConceptionFantasy
    [link] [comments]

    Any reason to limit the size of a simple cache on my express server?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 05:53 PM PST

    Hi, to set the context, I am doing a take-home interview test where I need to build an express server that has one route that takes one integer as an argument, does a computation, and returns the result of that computation.

    The problem was pretty basic, so I am looking for ways to stand out as an interview candidate.

    I was thinking about implementing a cache for any computation that takes longer than, say, 300ms. Just a simple const cache = {} kind of thing.

    My concern is that, since the route takes any any integer as input, my cache object could grow to contain millions of keys. This doesn't sound good to me, but I'm not sure what a practical size limit might look like.

    Would love some advice on keeping this cache manageable.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/CryptoJim66
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any reason that F# is not recommended often for implementing programming languages like Haskell and Ocaml are? Is it not well suited to this task?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 11:38 AM PST

    Mobile Application Developer or Mobile Developer?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 07:33 AM PST

    What's the correct title? I have seen both used almost equally, and I'm wondering which one to use as my title on LinkedIn. Are they even the same thing?

    Also, a bonus question, I am debating whether to put "Software Developer" as my title because I like how it sounds more, but is that a stretch or no?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Swlonkro
    [link] [comments]

    Asking For Clarification: Domain, Codomain, & Image (aka Range)

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 07:42 PM PST

    Question: What is the domain, codomain, and image of a function? Please read the rest of the text before answering.

    To start, I'll say why I'm asking for clarification. So, I've looked at different math websites and there are discrepancies between what the domain, codomain, and image (aka range) of a function are.

    These two sets of information summarize said differences:


    Set 1 (the one I think is correct):

    -Domain: All the possible inputs that a function can take.

    -Codomain: All the possible outputs a function can produce. (Obviously related to what inputs it can take)

    -Image: A particular set of inputs taken, and outputs produced by a function. In other words, the specific set of inputs and outputs a function has in a situation.

    Set 2 (the one I think is false):

    -Domain: The set of inputs given to a function in a specific situation.

    -Codomain: All the possible outputs a function can produce.

    NOTE: Notice codomain is all POSSIBLE outputs a function can give, rather than the outputs in a specific situation. Therefore, the codomain is related to all possible inputs a function can take. Having the name codomain, I find it weird that there is little correlation between the definitions of domain and codomain.

    -Image: The set of outputs produced by a function in a specific situation.

    NOTE 2: This. Image, is the word that has a definition that correlates to the definition of domain.


    There are clearly differences between the definitions of Set 1 & Set 2.

    一 Set 1 says the domain is all possible inputs vs Set 2 saying its the given inputs in a situation.

    二 Set 1 and 2 have the same definition for the codomain.

    三 Set 1 says the image is the inputs and outputs of a function in a particular situation vs Set 2 saying the image is only the outputs of a function in a particular situation.

    submitted by /u/BurningDetermination
    [link] [comments]

    Any advice?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 07:26 PM PST

    Questions about computer choice as well as language choice?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 02:41 PM PST

    I'm looking at purchasing a used macbook pro as I've begun to learn html and css (just to get my foot in the door) I would like to eventually move over to python. So first question is python a good choice for web/ program scraping? Also what specs should I be looking for when buying a MacBook pro that'll last a few years at the least. My budget is around $800. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/RPSuzuya
    [link] [comments]

    I'm making a Java Game project, is there a way to limit my device's processing power or simulate an environment with lower processing power, then run the project to see how it fairs in said environment?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 05:22 PM PST

    Cloud environment w/ same permissions and folder as my computer?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 05:59 AM PST

    Hello! I need to find a way to run my script even when my computer is not on, in order to automate this process. Is it possible to have a cloud environment where I can set up my script. I only need access to my python modules, my outlook, and one folder. Is this possible?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/yacoine
    [link] [comments]

    The Netflix API

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 04:27 AM PST

    Hi folks. I have a web app idea in mind, related to Netflix. Unfortunately, Netflix deprecated their public API years ago.

    So my question, r/AskProgramming is, how would one go on to programmatically access different Netflix services (Ex: Netflix's payment gateway) even though there is no API access?

    submitted by /u/vish_mitt
    [link] [comments]

    Coming up with a Ruby-themed group name

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 03:31 PM PST

    This isn't really a coding question, but this is the closest subreddit I thought of to ask for help.

    I'm in a group project and we need to come up with a group name for ourselves. The class uses Ruby on Rails. So far we have Ruby Thursdays (because we meet on Thursday) and Ruby Codeberg (Rube Goldberg).

    Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/cyanidebird
    [link] [comments]

    Things that I should achieve before years end?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 09:17 AM PST

    So I am very very very new to coding and am now just setting up a schedule for this year, what kind of things do you think I should achieve by the end of the year? What goals must I aim for (have about 1-2 hours every day to practice coding) What should I have achieved over a years period? Thanks :D

    submitted by /u/ItsLeftMe
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone give me broad bullet points of what I need to learn and do in order to create a basic match making program using direct connection for a game between my friends.

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 12:26 PM PST

    I played the forged alliance forever matchmaking for many years for supreme commander forged alliance. Recently the owners have changed and they implemented a new system that makes it impossible to play on the west coast of the states. I have basic C++ knowledge and was thinking about making a program that is a simple host/join program for starting games between my friends. I've done some research and been learning about networking and sockets. What I am struggling with is how do I go from creating a connection between players to a handoff to the game and creates a start up. Any advice or just someone to post me in the right direction would be great.

    submitted by /u/xxQue_
    [link] [comments]

    Twilio Deployment?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 12:18 PM PST

    Hey all,

    I've only deployed web apps in the past and am currently having difficulty wrapping my head around how to deploy am SMS chat service that I'm working on with Twilio.

    Locally, the commands I use to run locally are:

    1) node server.js

    2) twilio phone-numbers:update "+1#######" --sms-url="http://localhost:1337/sms"

    My current understanding is that I'm going to need to put this somewhere on the cloud through AWS, GCP, Azure, etc.

    What's the best way to deploy this for 24/7 use?

    submitted by /u/CtrlAltElite-
    [link] [comments]

    Question about payment frameworks (Stripe/Paypal etc)

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 11:27 AM PST

    Hello,

    I have not had the oportunity to be involved in a project that handled credit card/paypal payments from users but it came to mind today and i was wondering.

    When you are developing something like this how would you go about testing it? Do you need to make real transactions in order to make sure it is working (before it is deployed to prod that is)?

    Or do these frameworks/services provide a way to do "dummy" transactions so no $$ needs to be involved during development?

    submitted by /u/laspto
    [link] [comments]

    Hey guys im new to programming and i got a question

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 10:36 AM PST

    So i want to design this 2d game and idk what programming language to use.

    Thats it thanks

    submitted by /u/diavolo_bossu
    [link] [comments]

    Complex Scheduling Program - Where to start

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 09:32 AM PST

    I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask or if my question is too nebulous, but I'm looking to solve a scheduling problem.

    I have about 40 TAs and 10 classes. Each class has a variable number of labs that must be covered by 2 TAs. Full time TAs have must have 10 - 12 in class hours; part time TAs should have 5 or fewer TA hours. Lab times vary from 1 - 4 hours, but are consistent for each course.

    In a perfect world, each TA should would only be responsible for 1 class (meaning 1 TA would have 5 2 hour labs of Course X or something like that).

    Though the schedule is for the whole semester, I effectively only need to make 1 week as the lab schedule is the same each week.

    I understand scheduling software does exist, but I'm wondering if I could make my own in R if at all possible. At this point, I just don't even know where to start searching. Would this be constraint programming given each TA has their own availability schedule due to their own course work and each class has it's own lab schedule.

    Thank you for your help!

    submitted by /u/selinakyle45
    [link] [comments]

    When should a session start

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 09:23 AM PST

    Hello. Can someone please answer the question of when a session officially starts?

    I am building a Vue front-end with a REStful API back-end. Should a session start when a user puts in the url and hits the site (login page), or when they put in their username and password and therefore authenticate?

    I understand what a session is. I understand what being authenticated means. I understand the difference. I just cant figure out when should the user have a session officially start.

    submitted by /u/jokerpie69
    [link] [comments]

    Android realtime database help

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 08:45 AM PST

    Hi. Just wondering is there a way to search through the realtime database based on multiple strings in 2 edittexts and if they exist within the database move to the next activity. For example if you had a database with "Users" -> with child paths "email" and "password", could you compare the edittexts with those child paths?

    submitted by /u/Demerson96
    [link] [comments]

    Reverse engineering Android app

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 08:37 AM PST

    How do i reverse engineer an Android app, i only know about the apktool from which i can get the smali files, what do i do after that to modify the code and build the apk again, and do i have to make changes in the smali file or can't i make a Android studio project from that?

    submitted by /u/badlight27
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any special meaning to “0,7340,L-8,00”?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 04:10 AM PST

    When I open the (Hebrew) news site https://www.ynet.co.il, I'm redirected to https://www.ynet.co.il/home/0,7340,L-8,00.html

    The same applies to its sister site Calcalist. (The English-language version redirects to <url> + "/category/3083".

    I imagine that this is the internal address for the home page, but is there some significance to the string 0,7340,L-8,00? Eg unicode symbols, base64 or some other encoding, or something else? It seems unlikely that it's totally arbitrary.

    The only interesting result from a google search omitting the above site and its affiliates was this list, called content_nullenc0de.txt.

    (This question was marked off-topic on Super User stack exchange, but I was hoping it would scratch someone else's hacker itch.)

    submitted by /u/yehoshuf
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment