• Breaking News

    Friday, January 24, 2020

    How hard is it to switch from Web Dev to Mobile App Development? Here is what I learned after making my first Android App. learn programming

    How hard is it to switch from Web Dev to Mobile App Development? Here is what I learned after making my first Android App. learn programming


    How hard is it to switch from Web Dev to Mobile App Development? Here is what I learned after making my first Android App.

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 04:04 PM PST

    I've worked in the industry for more than a year as a full-stack developer, and most of my side projects thus far have been web apps or Python scripts. However, I wanted to dip my toes into the waters of 'Mobile App Development' -- specifically, Android development.

    Going into this project, I was nervous about picking up a new language, Kotlin, after staying in my comfort zone of Python and JavaScript for several years. I was also nervous about learning about the nuances of Android development that I never studied formally before.

    To start learning Android dev, I found a tutorial on YouTube that was project-based. This is super important if you want to pick up a new language or stack, since hands-on experience will be the fastest way to learn something new (once you have the fundamental technical skills down). I found a YouTube channel called Let's Build That App that has plenty of Swift (iOS) and Kotlin (Android) tutorials, so I chose one to recreate the YouTube App.

    Here is a video I made outlining my process of building this project, and the biggest take-aways from the project.

    And here is what I learned about Android development after building my first app:

    1. It's easier to build something visually complex compared to HTML.

    Coming from web development, it's relatively difficult (and sometimes annoying) to fiddle with CSS to make something truly pretty. You have to keep in mind window constraints for desktop v.s. mobile users. And, the nuances of CSS are pretty difficult to learn (it took me a year and I'm still not there). On the other hand, in Android Studio, there are so many elements (images, text, buttons, radio groups, etc) that you can simply drag-and-drop into the visualizer tool. And you can easily customize the layout of the elements in a visual manner. So, this is actually great for someone learning front-end development and does all the hard work for you!

    1. It's incredibly modular.

    When I was following some tutorials, I realized that the 'philosophy' of Android dev is incredibly modular. Every single component is abstracted out, constants are stored in their own XML files, and elements can easily be reused throughout the application. This is similar to the style of React, where everything is component-based. This may be a bit difficult for new programmers to get used to initially, but embodies the 'divide and conquer' philosophy of programming perfectly.

    1. Learn Kotlin -- not Java.

    Don't get me wrong -- Java is great. It's the first language I learned in school, and is what for my internship at Amazon. But for someone switching from a language like Python, Java can be extremely wordy and tiresome. So, I am so happy that Google/Android has embraced Kotlin -- the more concise, more powerful sibling to Java. If you are starting out with Android development, definitely try to find tutorials in Kotlin!

    And that's it for now! I am going to be making more Android apps and sharing my journey on YouTube. For now, if you want to see more details about what went into the first project I built, check it out here.

    submitted by /u/harshi_bar
    [link] [comments]

    If I were to use GitHub public for coding, what would stop people from being able to claim that my work is theirs?

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 02:32 PM PST

    Question in the title and if it were private and was shared with a few people, who then later publicised it without permission, what would stop others from knowing it was a copy? If both were public, would there be anyway to identify this? Creation dates and modification dates may not be the most reliable, as they could change a past project and then re-upload that.

    For context of why I'm asking, if I were to use code in a portfolio relating to the GitHub page, and they looked into it and saw replications of it, what would I be able to do to prove that it is my own work?

    Extremely new to GitHub, so I don't know if there are better sites for things like code for portfolios (recommendations are welcome and appreciated!)

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Ira-Acedia
    [link] [comments]

    I feel like a complete buffoon..

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 05:58 PM PST

    Im in my 2nd year of CS meme degree and when i read this beginnier subreddit i feel like a complete retard i understand 1% of what is on this sub, i love tech, computers, programming, networking etc but i feel like im too dumb for these and i consider dropping out. Ty mother nature.

    submitted by /u/ITstDegeaba
    [link] [comments]

    What are some good tutorials to learn debugging on visual studio?

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 03:08 PM PST

    I want to learn the integrated such as the break point, viewing variable values at certain points in the program and etc (language I'm using is c++ if that helps)

    submitted by /u/Lifeless_G
    [link] [comments]

    In CSS grid, why does align-self and justify-self in the child element work perfectly, but align-content and justify-content in the parent grid container doesn't?

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 08:59 AM PST

    Hello!

    This realization came out of my quest for finding a way to center divs inside a css-grid.

    Finally, I found that:

    align-self: center; justify-self:center; 

    work without a problem.

    I was happy with it, until I realized that I used those two lines in literally every child of the grid wrapper element. So I tried the obvious solution and tried to use the parent commands:

    align-content: center; justify-content:center; 

    and it didn't work at all.

    Now, I do realize that these are basically flex-commands because most of the documentation insinuates that. But I do hope that using it in a css grid is legit. At least the child commands, and that I can at least make a class if I don't find some other way to center stuff.

    Margins are so volatile and flimsy and you have the age old problem of vertical units being linked to horizontal ones, so I wanted to avoid that entirely.

    Do you have some advice for me? What should I do?

    Proof that it doesn't work:

    https://www.w3schools.com/code/tryit.asp?filename=GB7Z9Y26WZGL

    submitted by /u/awwwes
    [link] [comments]

    Online Computer Science Degree through Western Governors University - Worth It?

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 02:34 PM PST

    I'm contemplating the online CS degree through WGU. It's a regionally accredited university, but it's competency-based. You pass the class when you pass the final, and there's no letter grade given. I want to have the option of transferring to University of Texas - Austin, or USC's Online Masters in CS later on (both schools offer online programs).

    I hold a B.S. in Econ from UC Berkeley. I can't justify the price tag of some of these other online universities, and their course selections include a lot of fluff. CSU Monterey Bay (full BS) and Oregon State (60 unit post-baccalaureate) were my other watch list colleges for a Bachelor's in CS, but I'm not sold on their classes or cost. I'd much rather save up for a MS in CS, or an MBA.

    submitted by /u/robinmduong
    [link] [comments]

    HOORAY!!! The Helsinki CS1 introduction to programming MOOC has been updated.

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 04:18 PM PST

    Haven't seen this posted yet, so here you go, and have fun learning.

    Java Programming I ...

    submitted by /u/Lesabotsy
    [link] [comments]

    I'm really rusty at programming, but want to build a simple tool based on detected microphone activity. Need some help.

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 02:04 PM PST

    Hello r/learnprogramming! Name's Trisky. I do Twitch streaming (and yes this is relevant) and have a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science. Sadly, I haven't been using the degree much. To make long things short, I didn't feel a passion for it and wasn't proactive enough in finding employment while working on the degree.

    While my life direction has shifted elsewhere and my programming ability has rusted, I have had ideas here and there for small programs I would like to make. Specifically, simple programs that I would love to have myself for my streaming.

    I wanted to get a helping hand, not in programming said tool, but pointing me in the right direction to start.

    Here are the basic functionalities I want to implement:

    • Detect microphones/audio devices and select the desired audio source
    • Monitor the audio level for the selected audio source
    • When the audio level falls below a certain threshold for a specified period of time, play an audio file over a selected audio output device

    I'm running on Windows 10, BTW.

    I've got the most experience in Java, but I honestly don't think this would be the optimal programming language for this. However, I've been out of the game for long enough that I don't know what would be a good language to use, and once that's decided, what resources might be the most useful.

    Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/Triscy
    [link] [comments]

    How do I optimize this code?

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 12:15 PM PST

    I was trying to solve this problem and I came up with this brute force solution. It passes through 2/6 test cases and obviously fails because of timeout for the rest of them. I tried looking online but I only found the mathematical approach for a better solution.

    Since the problem is under Recursion/Backtracking I was hoping there's some way to do it using these only. Can anyone be generous enough to guide me through this?

    P.S. - Look at the best solution for this problem in Python to see how a desperate attempt beat the system! :p

    submitted by /u/shadow-sphynx
    [link] [comments]

    New to programming.

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 02:32 PM PST

    I attempted Python briefly but my life got to hectic to have the time to dedicate to learning it.

    My question is, should I start with learning python 1 or skip to 3?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/fbtra
    [link] [comments]

    Podcasts for programming?

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 10:45 PM PST

    I'm gonna be traveling a lot by train the next 4 months, I'd love to use it productively.

    So, do you listen to any entertaining podcasts about development? It doesn't have to cater to beginners or anything. Listening to experienced people talk about something helps me learn about it.

    submitted by /u/HEIR_TO_DESPAIR
    [link] [comments]

    Need help: Testing Row Locks/Transactions in Laravel

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 10:21 PM PST

    I have implemented transactions/rowlocks in a website that I created that shall be used by multiple concurrent users using Laravel. I'd like to test it but have no idea how to simulate it to test my row locks (other than Dusk which I can't make work when installing). Does anyone have any ideas on how I could test my locks or any alternatives? I am using MySQL for the database. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/SlaughterDoi
    [link] [comments]

    Something I can listen or watch on my mobile while I commute.

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 10:17 PM PST

    So I travel for more than an hour and I was wondering if there were some podcasts or videos that I could listen or watch that would help me better utilise my time. I only have my phone and no laptop so I cant write code. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank-you.

    submitted by /u/blazingshadow1
    [link] [comments]

    tkinter python help

    Posted: 24 Jan 2020 12:33 AM PST

    How can I make a button click result in the appearance of a window in tkinter python? I tried iconising it then making it normal with the button press, but that just made it appear from the beginning.

    submitted by /u/Dalrog_The_Barbarian
    [link] [comments]

    Signature Algorithm SHA256withRSA failed in Java

    Posted: 24 Jan 2020 12:00 AM PST

    I have identically generated and signed certificates in Raspberry Pi and Ubuntu Linux.

    SSL connection works fine on Raspberry while fails on Ubuntu with error Received fatal alert: unknown_ca

    During certificate verify procedure I found difference:

    Failed (Ubuntu on AWS)

    *** CertificateVerify

    Signature Algorithm SHA256withRSA

    Good (Raspberry Pi)

    *** CertificateVerify

    Signature Algorithm SHA512withRSA

    Why I have different signature algorithm? In both cases identical commands was used to create and sign certificates.

    Might it be problem while communicating with Java?

    submitted by /u/columncolumn
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a resource for code snippets/algorithms of common programming processes?

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 11:58 AM PST

    For example, an algorithm for reversing an array or traversing a binary tree, etc.

    submitted by /u/ThePristine
    [link] [comments]

    Hey. I want to improve my awful problem solving skills. Which should I use, leetcode or codewars?

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 08:07 PM PST

    So yeah, I'm struggling to solve stupid problems and this shouldn't be happening because I'm almost in my second year of comp eng.

    submitted by /u/moodystix
    [link] [comments]

    Try to get a job or go to university for cs?

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 11:40 PM PST

    Hello, I was just wondering if I should try getting a job as a web/software developer or go to university for cs as a person who has just turned 17 at the end of 2019.

    My parents are kind of against me taking some time after the holidays to repetitively apply/actively look for jobs and are instead wanting me to do something in university. If you are able to provide me with some clarity and or suggestions on what I should do it would be greatly appreciated.

    In Australia people can do a college called TAFE which consist of two courses for people who want to do web/software development so they can get a job in the field and or be eligible to apply for university when they haven't finished high school (I completed these two TAFE courses in a span of 1 year feb-2019 to nov-2019).

    Any suggestions would be appreciated,

    Thanks in advance :)

    submitted by /u/KarMadz
    [link] [comments]

    Is it reasonable to switch with the same language?

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 11:38 PM PST

    I want to program android apps but i started learning python instead of something like kotlin because I was new to programming and the different languages so i just started learning python as it was recommended as a good language, so I was wondering if I should switch to kotlin, or if possible start programming android apps on python and then start learning kotlin and carrying on the apps there. Also am i able to make android apps on python and then translate it to kotlin with some sort of tool?

    submitted by /u/Ivpadi
    [link] [comments]

    How Long Should it Take to Remake a Website (both backend and frontend)?

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 11:33 PM PST

    Hello, good people of the internet. I am in a bit of a maze as to whether I made the right estimates on the amount of time to remake a website (backend and frontend). My estimate was approximately 80 hours for both backend and frontend. The website requires improvements on its frontend , with additional features that could make it look more modern and fit for purpose (when compared with competitors). Is this too long to build a website while also engaged with other daily activities ?

    I haven't been given specifics on all of the backend functionalities required but from a look at the site and early conversations, a payment gateway integration will be required. Thank you in advance for your guidance.

    submitted by /u/Karub1n
    [link] [comments]

    What is considered a download from Firebase Storage?

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 11:09 PM PST

    Since there is a cost for each Firebase Storage download, I am not sure what is considered a download versus a read (if there is a read at all that won't be charged).

    If I use Xcode's AVPlayer to play a video file stored in Firebase Storage using the file's URL, I am not really keeping that file... is that still considered a download?

    Also, is every time I retrieve an image from Storage considered a download? Is there a way to get the image without "downloading" it?

    submitted by /u/ExelerateZ
    [link] [comments]

    Web developer portfolio(things to have in my portfolio)

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 07:02 PM PST

    Hi!

    I've been out of school for few years now. I did finish a Computer Programming Advance diploma and a post-grad of Business Analyst (which I drop out from because of lack of interest after paying so much just to learn how to use powerpoint).

    So for starter, I've got my hands pretty much on every language, framework, tools, and etc. I didn't took school seriously till I did my post-grad. But then soon realize that the program I thought would fail me in terms of the quality of education that they're providing me, which is why I didnt finish it. Although its just a coop-term that I'm missing.

    Moving forward. I am now 28 year old dad. Got a 2 months old daugther. Been working as a barista for seven years so never really had an industry experience.

    I am now on a paternity leave. Since my wife is making tons than me as an accountant, we've decided that she'll be the one working instead. Since I got to take one for the team, I've come to a realization that I want to provide as well at some point.

    I would like to make a portfolio but has no idea what the current industry is looking for. I would love to spend my time learning and doing programming whenever the baby is asleep.

    My end goal is to produce a portfolio that is strong enough that they'll look pass behind me not having any industry experience.

    Any help, suggestions, or advice would be highly appreciated.

    Thank you in advance :)

    submitted by /u/raveun
    [link] [comments]

    Scheduling and Automating File Creation and Transfers

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 09:09 AM PST

    Hi everyone,

    I hope this is an appropriate question for this sub.

    I do some programming but I'm mostly on the operations side of a small company and we have a couple other programmers, but neither really has experience setting up scheduled scripts.

    In addition to the hundreds of files we receive a week, process and upload to our own DB, we have a few clients that are now requiring us to send various daily, weekly, and monthly files that we create by pulling data from a back-end database and run some logic and formatting in python. These files are then manually placed on an SFTP.

    Now that were sending 40+ files a week with potentially much more in the future, I think we really need to get a centralized way of managing these file transfers on a schedule so I've been looking into solutions that can scale.

    I've looked into Apache Airflow, Luigi, RunDeck, and StackStorm which seem like they could do the job and scale well, but also might be overkill for what were doing. Plus, I'm hesitant with something complex since no one in the company has experiencing managing something like Airflow.

    At the same time, I want to avoid having 100+ separate scripts that are all over the place and and on random schedules. I should also mention that a lot of the Python code needs regular updating and bug fixes so I could see it becoming a nightmare to maintain.

    Are there any software solutions that I'm missing? Or best practices to create a custom scheduler? Or does it sound like Airflow (or one of it's alternatives) would be the best fit?

    I imagine this is something that many companies deal with on a daily basis so I thought I'd reach out and see what kind of solutions are out there.

    Thanks for any help!

    submitted by /u/deja_entenduu
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment