• Breaking News

    Friday, January 3, 2020

    Fun little tower defence game where you position your defences using CSS web developers

    Fun little tower defence game where you position your defences using CSS web developers


    Fun little tower defence game where you position your defences using CSS

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 07:18 AM PST

    Trying to track down Guangzhou Domains, Inc- our domain went there

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 06:56 AM PST

    My company has lost access to a forwarding domain on GoDaddy. It didn't expire, so I called up GoDaddy to see what was going on. It's now under a company named Guangzhou Domains, Inc, so it looks like someone transferred it, but my bosses don't remember transferring it (maybe someone at work did, but it looks like not).

    I can't find a website for Guangzhou Domains on Google. I want to find them (if they're a legit company) and see if we have login info associated with them.

    I've tried to see if they got swallowed by another company, or changed names, but I can't find any leads on searching for them.

    Is anyone here familiar with Guangzhou Domains, Inc?

    Also: this has opened up the conversation for improving security at work, so I have an opening to push us in a good direction here. 👍 We will be working on that.

    submitted by /u/MI_Buddy
    [link] [comments]

    Terrain rendering algorithm in less than 20 lines of code

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 04:50 AM PST

    [Showoff Saturday] I made a platforming game using Vanilla JS, and it's super easy to make your own levels

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 10:33 AM PST

    Freelancers, how do you approach a warm lead?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 10:13 AM PST

    So, I've recently started my own business and it's going shockingly well, I'm essentially having work thrown at me. My website isn't even finished and I'm having people message me about work. I hope it stays like this forever (LOL).

    Anyway, I'm wondering what your SOPs are on a warm lead (possibly the wrong term)? Someone who reaches out to you for services. I'm about to hop on a call with someone who messaged me saying they need a new site. I've looked at their site and have some questions, but I'm probably missing a few important ones.

    What would you generally ask someone who reaches out to you for work?

    For me it's:

    • What is your budget
    • What is the purpose of this website
    • Do you a design/branding you need me to work off
    • timeline?
    • Do you have all of the content or will you need me to use filler
    • where are your current site and domain hosted if you have one
    • Have you worked with a developer before?

    I feel like I'm missing a lot of important questions there.

    submitted by /u/moonsout_goonsout
    [link] [comments]

    How can I use stored procedures in a php script?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 03:50 PM PST

    I am new to all this, and I am currently working on an assignment, so I feel a bit lost. I am working in PhpMyAdmin. Here I created some tables in a database, and I want to do a query now, which, I have to do with a stored procedure. The query is working on one of my tables :Products(idp, name, color, weight, city) and it is supposed to return all products with a mass between 100 and 500, and located in the city of London.

    I created a stored procedure with 3 parameters, named weight_interval(weight_min, weight_max, city). Now, how can I call it in my php script? I tried following some tutorials and got this code, but i know it's missing something:

    <?php $servername = "localhost"; $username = "root"; $password = ""; $dbname = "practice"; // Create connection $conn = new mysqli($servername, $username, $password, $dbname); // Check connection if ($conn->connect_error) { die("Connection failed: " . $conn->connect_error); } $weight_min='100'; $weight_max='500'; $city='London'; $sql = "CALL `weight_interval`($weightmin, $weight_max, $city);"; $result = $conn->query($sql); if ($result->num_rows > 0) { echo "<table><tr><th>idp</th><th>Name</th><th>Color</th><th>Weight</th><th>City</th></tr>"; // output data of each row while($row = $result->fetch_assoc()) { echo "<tr><td>".$row["idp"]."</td><td>".$row["name"]."</td><td>".$row["color"]."</td><td>".$row["weight"]."</td><td>".$row["city"]."</td></tr>"; } echo "</table>"; } else { echo "0 results"; } $conn->close(); ?> 

    And yes, I am aware that here, a stored procedure is probably not needed, or there are easier ways to do it, but this is for parctice reasons. Thank you!!

    submitted by /u/padynana
    [link] [comments]

    Payment processing options for a unique situation

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 01:10 PM PST

     I won't go into detail to what the business is, but almost all purchases will be $1 USD. I'm looking into different payment processing options and it looks like fees, which are usually 2.7% + 30¢, will take out a crazy amount of my revenue this way. Does anyone have any ideas that put the fees on the buyer or have no fixed rate part of the purchase? 
    submitted by /u/TheeHumanMeat
    [link] [comments]

    How hard is it to get a web dev job?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 04:10 PM PST

    How hard is it without a degree? I'm doing a full stack bootcamp.

    And how many projects would you recommend?

    submitted by /u/TheJusa
    [link] [comments]

    A rant about pre-interview coding tests.

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 03:58 PM PST

    Senior front end developer here. I guess the job process has changed, I have no idea if this is normal or what I can do in these situations.

    Every job I've ever got, I've applied online and received a request for an in person interview. Go for one, maybe two of those, and then an offer. There hasn't ever been a coding test. Technical questions sure, but no tests. Every job I've got.

    On the hunt again. Now, when I apply to jobs online, they request instead a phone interview followed by a coding test. These tests are at minimum an hour and a half.

    I do development on the side as a business. If you request any portion of my time, I'm going to be paid for it. It's that simple. How are companies actually expecting you to take tests, on top of a full time job, without a fucking in person interview?!

    I had three different phone calls with three different companies. I've then moved to the "coding test" phase. I haven't passed any. Thus, not moving on in the in person interview.

    I spent an hour and a half on each. I also have a four month old at home. I barely have any time to myself, let alone doing a coding test for a "potential" in person interview. Like what the fuck.

    This really bugs me and doesn't feel right at all. If I apply, and you potentially want me, have me in for an in person. Don't give me a coding test before we even meet, only to reject me. It's just a huge waste of fucking time on my part at a "shot" for an interview, especially when I barely have any time to myself between a full time job and a baby, and especially when you told me you potentially want me.

    Am I being unreasonable? Like, I applied. You responded that you're interested.

    ... Have me in for an interview. If there's a technical part, I'll happily do it after.

    Do companies base hires solely off these coding tests? I'm sorry, not to toot my own horn but I've been doing front end, managing projects for medium and national projects for about 7 years.

    I shouldn't have to jump through these hoops. That's what my experience speaks to. That's what my full github and portfolio speak to.

    submitted by /u/canadian_webdev
    [link] [comments]

    20 Most-Recommended Books for Software Developers

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 03:09 AM PST

    I have an idea for a website/business but where do I get started?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 01:33 PM PST

    I have an idea for a crowdfunding site for people in need of medical help like surgeries and other operations but don't have insurance. I have a whole notepad with further details but what should I do with no experience in web design? Use one of those wix type sites? Hire someone?

    submitted by /u/zboytjbxp
    [link] [comments]

    Interviewing for Lead Developer Position today

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 08:49 AM PST

    In 6 hours or something I have my remote technical interview for a lead developer position. I'm preparing by taking notes and thinking about how I will answer some questions they should ask me. However; what I'm thinking about is maybe showing some of my code.

    As a lead developer I understand that I'm more of the person who understands what the clients want and help the team succeeded by unblocking and pushing the project forward.

    On a hangouts interview I plan on just making this a conversation about what I've done and showcase a Epic I spent 3 months at work building almost full time by myself. With that I can drive conversions about decisions and they can see my code.

    Do you think this is appropriate?

    submitted by /u/codingideas
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for being under a DDos attack

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 10:47 AM PST

    I have a server with unlimited traffic but with a processor that is not at all powerful and I've setup apache2 (but plan on switching to nginx in the following weeks, also its gonna be static pages, no php), so my only question is, can error pages (blank 403 & 404 pages) cause the server's processor to max out and crash the server, and if this is the only way my server can go down, is there anything i can i do to minimise the apache2's or nginx's cpu usage during an attack

    Edit: i should mention that i am already using cloudflare

    submitted by /u/JimothyDoe
    [link] [comments]

    How do y'all test your full-stack app production code?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 12:32 AM PST

    I am a full-stack developer who is working on a project similar to StreamLabs.com. In the past few months, I have been developing new features on both front- and back-ends. I deployed my app on test server and seems to be working as planned.

    Now, we are planning to deploy it on production and release it publicly very soon. However, I need to test my app thoroughly and make it production-ready and free of obvious bugs. Here is my tech stack:

    Front-end: ReactJS, JavaScript

    Back-end: Symfony4, PHP

    Other Tools: Docker, nginx

    1) How do you test your full-stack app? Unit Testing, Integration Testing?

    2) Do you do XSS or CSRF protection?

    Honestly, I just need a little bit of guidance. I also want to start a useful discussion.

    Thank you all for reading my post! I am looking forward to hearing from y'all!

    submitted by /u/ArcaneBat
    [link] [comments]

    What a Year of Learning and Teaching Accessibility Taught Me - 24 Accessibility

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 05:50 AM PST

    I hosting my app on Heroku sufficient if I wish to attempt to drive traffic to my site?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 04:11 PM PST

    Beginner in webdev/react/heroku/hosting apps here, I have a close to finished application (filters restaurant deals based on time & location) hosted on heroku that I want to try to market to possibly turn it into a small side hustle. Right now it is hosted on heroku, and I was wondering if it is all right to try to drive some traffic to the site in its current state, or if I need something else like cPanel/whm. The app also takes a whlie to load initially, could use help with fixing that as well.

    Basically, my question is, is a simple react/graphql app hosted on heroku good enough to handle some mild traffic. Self taught with very little experience in deploying enterprise level/ready apps. Thanks

    submitted by /u/uberkevinn
    [link] [comments]

    Any advice would be appreciated

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 11:35 AM PST

    I wanna finally put my degree to good use and get into web development professionally. At this point I think it would be beneficial for me to be a freelancer. How do I put myself out there to hopefully get some gigs? How much should I charge? And advice would be greatly appreciated

    submitted by /u/TaderDot_93
    [link] [comments]

    Web dev professionals, when did you first start using cloud computing tools, what were they, and what was the problem/use case?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 02:54 PM PST

    I'm a professional myself, having worked at five companies. However whether it's a startup or a web agency, I have not encountered any usage of AWS, Azure, containerization, or any other cloud computing work at any projects I had, and I've had many over the span over 10 years.

    My guess is the companies I worked at were too small to warrant the need to use that extra computing power just yet.

    So for those that do have cloud computing experience at work, I want to know what the use case was for your first time using them, and what was used in the architecture and toolset (Did you use AWS? Did you deploy with Kubernetes? What specific set of tools within the services, etc). When it comes to learning them, the problem is knowing what to learn first and for when.

    submitted by /u/ccricers
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions for a good website health/uptime monitoring service.

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 02:30 PM PST

    I have a client that is using Montastic to monitor his Drupal 7 website but is not happy that it is only 30 minute intervals for status checks.

    He is asking for recommendations for a better service. This is an area that I have no practice in.

    Does anyone use and/or have any recommendations for a great service for monitoring website uptime?

    submitted by /u/quantumized
    [link] [comments]

    BEM or Utility based CSS for webdesign?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 10:35 AM PST

    Which do you prefer for webdesign and why?

    I prefer utility based CSS (Tailwind CSS) for web applications, but I'm not sure whether I like it for webdesign (websites for clients, landing pages, product pages, etc); I'm not talking about the simple hero - 3 column - footer websites but more complex and high end ones like those you find on Awwwards.

    The main reason I prefer BEM for webdesign is that I can write the exact CSS for designs and animations, of course, it's doable in Tailwind CSS but it requires you to add more custom utilities in the config. Most components are not reusable in webdesign, this makes Tailwind CSS a real pain in the ass because the code will get bloated real fast.

    I'm eager to hear your opinion!

    submitted by /u/bibibobs
    [link] [comments]

    API for collecting money from a group?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 08:20 AM PST

    Hey everyone,

    I've been trying to find a service that provides an API with similar functionality to Paypal's Money Pool and Group Funds feature. Unfortunately, it appears Paypal doesn't provide a REST API for this feature.

    Has anyone used something similar in production and had success?

    submitted by /u/gotta-lot
    [link] [comments]

    Any other way to control tab behavior besides tabindex?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 08:13 AM PST

    Is there any other way to define tab behavior in terms of keyboard navigation besides tabindex?

    A little more background:

    I have two columns with fields, but the DOM order does not necessarily correlate with how things appear visibly on the page (hope that makes sense, if the question doesn't make it obvious I am self-taught and fairly inexperienced). Instead of navigating to the next input in the DOM, is it possible to set the behavior to navigate to the next input in the column, and defining such behavior globally on the page or at div/section level without using tabindex (or with if there is no other way)?

    Another thing to note, this is within a Salesforce and therefore I cannot modify the source code, I would be doing this by injecting Javascript. I have somewhat accomplished this already with tabindex but there are some limitations and issues with it so I want to see if someone has an idea to accomplish this through some other means.

    Thanks for bearing with my self-taught knowledge and fairly small amount of experience!

    submitted by /u/sneakerheadfarb
    [link] [comments]

    For a simple blog, should I use an SPA or static site?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 02:49 AM PST

    Now SPAs can be "static sites" (Nuxt, for example), and they have all the advantages of pre-rendered pages and SEO.

    With this in mind, should I just go for an SPA, or is a static site still worth looking into? In my blog, there won't be so much interaction between the user and site, so would a static site be better?

    From this page (https://www.exoscale.com/syslog/what-is-a-single-page-application/), it says

    Should you ever avoid using an SPA?

    If your content is purely static, introducing an SPA worsens load times for the user, requiring the user to download and execute the JavaScript payload before being able to view any content.

    Should I worry about this too much?

    submitted by /u/themindstorm
    [link] [comments]

    Problem with javascript in ios web mobile

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 02:06 PM PST

    Good evening. I have a problem with the login button with facebook. It turns out that using any browser on the desktop, everything works perfect, but when I try to click the "Login With Facebook" button through Safari or Firefox from the iPhone, nothing happens, the button is out of action. I have little knowledge yet because I am learning. can anybody help me?

    The button looks like this:

    <a href="javascript:fbcheckLogin();" class="fb-button orange-button medium rounded"> <i class="ion-social-facebook"></i>login with Facebook</a> 

    And js:

     // Load the SDK asynchronously (function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk')); function statusChangeCallback(response) { console.log(response); // The response object is returned with a status field that lets the // app know the current login status of the person. // Full docs on the response object can be found in the documentation // for FB.getLoginStatus(). if (response.status === 'connected') { // Logged into your app and Facebook. fbResultAPI(); console.debug("login OK"); } else if (response.status === 'not_authorized') { // The person is logged into Facebook, but not your app. console.debug("please login"); } else { // The person is not logged into Facebook, so we're not sure if // they are logged into this app or not. console.debug("please login"); } } // This function is called when someone finishes with the Login // Button. See the onlogin handler attached to it in the sample // code below. function checkLoginState() { FB.getLoginStatus(function(response) { statusChangeCallback(response); }); } window.fbAsyncInit = function() { FB.init({ appId : $("#fb_app_id").val(),//'', cookie : true, // enable cookies to allow the server to access // the session xfbml : true, // parse social plugins on this page version : 'v2.4' // use version 2.0 }); // Now that we've initialized the JavaScript SDK, we call // FB.getLoginStatus(). This function gets the state of the // person visiting this page and can return one of three states to // the callback you provide. They can be: // // 1. Logged into your app ('connected') // 2. Logged into Facebook, but not your app ('not_authorized') // 3. Not logged into Facebook and can't tell if they are logged into // your app or not. // // These three cases are handled in the callback function. /*FB.getLoginStatus(function(response) { statusChangeCallback(response); });*/ }; // Here we run a very simple test of the Graph API after login is // successful. See statusChangeCallback() for when this call is made. function fbResultAPI() { FB.api('/me?fields=email,first_name,last_name', function(response) { console.debug(response); fb_register(response); }); } function fbLogout() { FB.logout(function(response) { console.debug("Person is now logged out"); }); } /* function fbLogoutUser() { FB.getLoginStatus(function(response) { if (response && response.status === 'connected') { FB.logout(function(response) { document.location.reload(); }); } }); }*/ function fbcheckLogin() { FB.login(function(response) { dump(response); if (response.status === 'connected') { uk_msg_sucess(js_lang.login_succesful); fbResultAPI(); } else if (response.status === 'not_authorized') { uk_msg(js_lang.not_authorize); } else { uk_msg(js_lang.not_login_fb); } }, {scope: 'public_profile,email'}); } 
    submitted by /u/rodrigoriosx
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment