• Breaking News

    Saturday, January 25, 2020

    Creating stylized art inspired by Ghibli using Unreal Engine 4. Breakdown and tips: shorturl.at/gqQ69

    Creating stylized art inspired by Ghibli using Unreal Engine 4. Breakdown and tips: shorturl.at/gqQ69


    Creating stylized art inspired by Ghibli using Unreal Engine 4. Breakdown and tips: shorturl.at/gqQ69

    Posted: 25 Jan 2020 03:48 AM PST

    My tips for growing and developing your games own subreddit having just reached 1500 subscribers on my own

    Posted: 25 Jan 2020 03:05 AM PST

    Hello fellow devs,

    Having recently hit 1500 subs on my small niche subreddit I thought I'd share some tips for other small time indies like me starting out. The more places you can manage having a presence on the better but personally for me because I already enjoy and use reddit a lot making a sub for my game was a no brainer. It will take a little bit of work as with everything and when you're a small team or a solo developer sometimes you have to end up picking up the roles of marketing/community management as well as programming and game dev.

    THE BEGINNING

    To start off with you need to come up with a sub name, generally speaking you want it to be smaller than larger but you can do it how you want, if your game starts with an 'r' you could even be funny, /R/angefinder, /R/edDead ect.

    Once you have your sub set up you want to replace the default subreddit with some kind of template, there are tons of good ones, replace the default images with some custom banners of your game. This might take a bit of work or require you to chop up existing art in MSPaint until it fits the right sizes but doing this will make your sub stand out and give it a bit of personality off the bat.

    Give it a nice sidebar linking to everything relating to your game (steam/itch.io page/discord)

    Now you've got your sub set up I would post 5-10 things initially to get it not looking bland, this could be art from your game, a new update, videos about it on youtube, etc.

    GROWING AN AUDIENCE

    Having a sub won't magically attract an audience, I remember hearing one time that a player of my game found it by clicking random on reddit and landing on my sub but I think this is the exeption not the rule. You need to get your sub out there in front of your potential community.

    If you have any other places at all where people have gathered around your game, make sure they are aware of your subreddit existing, if not don't worry.

    A great way to subtly link to your subreddit is to share relevant content posted on your sub to other subreddits by using the crosspost feature. Crossposting shows all on the target sub where the content was crossposted from and if they like it they can easily click through and sub.

    It's important that you don't just spam crosspost any old thing to different gaming subreddits but familiarise yourself with them. Read any sub you plan to crosspost to's rules and make sure the content you are sharing there is something you would want to see if you were subscribed to it. If you spam something people don't like you can quickly find yourself downvoted to oblivion and it's never a good look for your budding community.

    An example of some good crossposting would be if you game contained some proc gen content and you caught a really cool gif capturing some proc gen stuff, post it on the sub and then crosspost to /r/proceduralgeneration as it would be content that they would also enjoy, some users on the sub might click through and might even stay!

    MAINTAINING A BUZZ

    Even if you manage to get 50-100 subscribers the odds of them posting often enough to keep the sub alive is low, you may get occasional fan suggestions/videos etc but it will still be sparse. While you're still in a stage where the sub isn't very lively I recommend sitting down and coming up with a list of 20-30 things to post on the sub and then make a post daily.

    I try and do this even now with the exception of weekends usually.

    Some examples of stuff you could post: Memes, Questions for the community (ie what do you think about x feature), Behind the scenes pics, Gifs, Giveaways, Sneak peaks of upcoming content, Requests for feedback, Youtube videos covering your game, Streams, Feature spotlights showing things that people might not be aware of in your game. Perhaps even have specific days for specific content like a Friday discussion.

    Gauge what sort of content your community likes and try to create a good lump of it, if you're working on the game and you see something that you think would be great and sharable take it and save it for your next post!

    Also if/when members of the community post great stuff on the sub reward them with reddit silver, it's a good way to encourage awesome user activity!

    SUMMARY

    In summary:

    • Nice sub name
    • Use a subreddit theme
    • Fill with initial content
    • Share to your existant community
    • Post daily (or often)
    • Crosspost to relevant subs where you can
    • Learn from your community
    • Reward good activity
    • Profit?

    But all jokes aside best of luck to anyone doing this, I hope this is helpful and I'm happy to answer any questions!

    Also happy to hear the input of other devs with subreddits as I'm always eager to improve my own :)

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/Huw2k8
    [link] [comments]

    How Zelda Wind Waker Defined Cel Shading

    Posted: 25 Jan 2020 06:03 AM PST

    Game design analysis: How I tried creating a classical horror game with an unique story & setting. Have I made the right design decisions?

    Posted: 25 Jan 2020 05:40 AM PST

    Dear devs, please stop making us hold forward during cutscenes. Sincerely, everyone.

    Posted: 25 Jan 2020 11:10 AM PST

    I don't understand why so many games do this. A cinematic hallway is fine. We walk down a path, things happen around us, that's all good. But there's no interaction. There's no QTE, no enemies, no jump puzzles, we're literally just holding forward.

    Long cutscenes like this are a great time to eat or text or do other 2 handed activities we don't necessarily need to look at. None of which we can do with one hand forced to basically hold the play button on a movie. If all we're going to be doing is walking forward you can just make our character do that, holding W doesn't really add anything to the experience.

    submitted by /u/LlamaManLuke
    [link] [comments]

    I have a new UE4 tutorial for you all: Practical example of a Bezier formula

    Posted: 25 Jan 2020 09:57 AM PST

    Procedural world generation, a few questions.

    Posted: 25 Jan 2020 09:32 AM PST

    I'm working on a procedural, infinite, world generation and I have succeeded in having terrain become generated with different biomes based on a few separate perlin noise functions.

    Currently the terrain is varied but I'm looking to implement cliff and river generations and am struggling on how to achieve this.

    Can anyone point me in the right direction?

    submitted by /u/assertiveturtle
    [link] [comments]

    How to get started on visuals

    Posted: 25 Jan 2020 01:57 AM PST

    I only know how to code. I dabbled in blender for a bit but I'm making a 2D game right (In Unity) now so that won't help. I am asking for recommended resources or tutorials to get me started. Specifically what I need is any tutorials on effects and pixel art. Recommended assets are welcome too.

    submitted by /u/initiald-ejavu
    [link] [comments]

    First screenshot from the first game I'm making(It's inspired by The Martian)

    Posted: 25 Jan 2020 11:34 AM PST

    Game Engines

    Posted: 25 Jan 2020 11:23 AM PST

    Can I make a game without a game engine (like Unity, Unreal Engine 4, etc.)? If I can, how?

    submitted by /u/int_Programmes
    [link] [comments]

    Programming language and game engine

    Posted: 25 Jan 2020 11:14 AM PST

    What is a good engine and programming language combination I should learn now? I know nothing.

    submitted by /u/stormingastro
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for website I found a while back that had tree and forest alphas for background asset creation

    Posted: 25 Jan 2020 10:59 AM PST

    I came across a website recently that had a bunch of free alphas for trees and forests to be used for background elements. I thought I had bookmarked it, but unfortunately I cannot find it anymore.

    Does something like this ring a bell for anyone? Would you be able to post the link to it if you're familiar with this?

    submitted by /u/local306
    [link] [comments]

    A year ago I almost got a major publishing deal... It fell through and I stopped working on the game. Until today. Screw a publisher, Im back!

    Posted: 25 Jan 2020 10:55 AM PST

    Defining art styles and types?

    Posted: 25 Jan 2020 04:50 AM PST

    I've lurked a bit on the subreddit and realized that people have a predefined art style. I see that people work on that first more than anything else. I have a few assets with similar art design but have no way of knowing how to incorporate all of it properly. So what's the process on doing this, in creating and designing the art in a way it all works together.

    submitted by /u/cthebigb
    [link] [comments]

    Research for Shmups

    Posted: 25 Jan 2020 10:06 AM PST

    please do this little questioner, this is for research and the use of color for a game that i will be building

    https://forms.gle/yLx7ZymgL5qwo5V67

    submitted by /u/MrBorb
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for developers, or game developer teams, to do sound design and music composing

    Posted: 25 Jan 2020 09:40 AM PST

    Hi!

    I have an online music studio. I have been doing composing, and mixing, and producing for very long time now. I would like to find people in need of original compositions, with the only request of having my name there, and hence have it for my CV. I can write anything from any kind of music, trailer, epic, film music, rock, metal, anything. I already have written a soundtrack for film, and also for short videos. And ok my own album, but its different thing.

    I would also offer sound design, since that is something i would like to find a job for, but of course, they always want names of projects, and experience, endless loop. And whats the better way to prove it.

    Working with team of people in the film post-production, made me fall in love with working in teams and working and making something creative!

    So all of you developers, that are freaking out about copyright or music, sound , and sound effects, i would like to work with you! :)

    I hope this doesn't break any rules of this community!

    Cheers!

    Loki

    submitted by /u/thelokiiiii
    [link] [comments]

    Episode 4 is up! Hope you find it useful.

    Posted: 25 Jan 2020 09:33 AM PST

    Screenshot Saturday #469 - Inspirational Imagery

    Posted: 24 Jan 2020 08:13 PM PST

    Share your progress since last time in a form of screenshots, animations and videos. Tell us all about your project and make us interested!

    The hashtag for Twitter is of course #screenshotsaturday.

    Note: Using url shorteners is discouraged as it may get you caught by Reddit's spam filter.


    Previous Screenshot Saturdays


    Bonus question: Has being a game dev impacted the enjoyment you feel when you play games?

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    How to scale the pixel game's recording "by nearest neighbor"?

    Posted: 25 Jan 2020 09:06 AM PST

    I googled it many times, read this thread, but nothing quite works for me. Are there any Video Editors that support this kind of thing?

    submitted by /u/Aiaz_Marx
    [link] [comments]

    I'm a broke indie developer AmA!

    Posted: 25 Jan 2020 08:34 AM PST

    Hello reddit, my name is Jacob Homanics and I am a broke Indie Developer.

    After working for a creative agency for two years I realized that the lifestyle it entailed was not for me. Thus leaving, moving back home, and start my career in indie development.

    It's been a pretty rough ride so far but since releasing my first game Memero, I have learned a lot in all aspects of indie development.

    You can find Memero on the [iOS App Store]( https://apps.apple.com/us/app/memero/id1487250410) and the [Google Play]( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.JacobHomanics.memero) Store respectively.

    Follow me on my website: https://jacobhomanics.com/ or on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/homanics

    I hope that I can share some insight for those who have yet to make the dive (plot twist: you shouldn't) or give some advice to those already in the same boat.

    submitted by /u/JakeHomanics
    [link] [comments]

    GDC survey shows growing support for unionising

    Posted: 24 Jan 2020 12:30 PM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment