• Breaking News

    Tuesday, December 31, 2019

    Second edition of Automate the Boring Stuff with Python is now free online. learn programming

    Second edition of Automate the Boring Stuff with Python is now free online. learn programming


    Second edition of Automate the Boring Stuff with Python is now free online.

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 02:44 PM PST

    Don't give up. We can make it through.

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 01:11 AM PST

    Goodluck to us hopeful programmers in the future!

    submitted by /u/whynottietheknot
    [link] [comments]

    Happy New Year!

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 08:20 PM PST

    Just started using Reddit this year and wanted to wish y'all a Happy New Year. Seriously, this community is one of the things that has gotten me into programming. Thanks for opening this world to me. Hopefully, next year will be a year filled with large steps forward in my programming knowledge.

    submitted by /u/PCWeekjeff
    [link] [comments]

    2020 Coding Mentors/Mentees!

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 02:39 PM PST

    Let's bring in 2020 by keeping eachother accountable, motivated, and working towards our goals of becoming better programmers together. If you'd like to become a mentor/mentee, please leave a comment below with some clarifying information.

    Mentor:

    • Skills/topics you'd like to mentor on
    • Type of help. Quick Question via discord, Code-Review, codepair, etc.
    • Comments(optional): Anything you feel would be relevant to better matching with someone you'd enjoy working with.

    Mentees:

    • Skills / Topics you'd like to learn
    • Type of help. Do you need someone to go to for a quick question, or do you want someone that will take a peak into your learning process and guide you? Review your work and give you pointers?
    • Comments(optional): Anything you feel would be relevant to better matching with someone you'd enjoy working with.

    EDIT: FOUND

    Please place this edit at the top of your comment once you have connected with someone. :)

    submitted by /u/SenorTeddy
    [link] [comments]

    Any free udemy courses or good sources to learn java?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 10:47 PM PST

    I just finished cs100 which was python and for my next class i am supposed to do java. I was hoping to get a head start on studying so any help is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/FathTheBooker
    [link] [comments]

    How to use Python to make a video?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 11:37 PM PST

    I saw some people said we can actually use python to make a video like this.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZtZaycMh0M

    I have no idea how it can be done

    submitted by /u/CandiBaldyga
    [link] [comments]

    Question on which programming language to use

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 06:57 PM PST

    Hello all,

    I'm hoping for some guidance on which programming language to learn. I want to solve a specific real world work problem I have and while I understand it will likely be difficult my brain doesn't work in such a way that I find it easy to learn something that doesn't solve a real problem in my real life.

    Here is the scenario from a manufacturing facility:

    Step 1 contains 7 processes. Processes A, B, C, D, E, F, and G. Lets say batch 1 starts at A, when finished with A it moves to process B, and then you can start batch 2 in process A. Each batch spends 30 minutes at each process and yields 40 A-widgets per batch (A batch will always be 40 A-widgets and you cannot make a smaller or larger batch). Step 1 has a capacity of 100 A-widgets.

    Step 2: 60 A-widgets from from Step 1 are used in step 2. In step 2 you're using the A-widgets to create B-widgets. There are 7 processes in Step 2, H, I, J, K, L, M, and N. Each process takes 1 hour. Like step 1, each step in the process can only contain a single batch at a time. Capacity for step 2 is infinite and it yields 30 B-widgets.

    Step 3: 60 B-widgets from step 2 are used to create C-widgets. There are also 7 processes in this step and each step takes 3 hours. Processes are O, P, Q, R, S, T, and U. Like both previous steps only one batch can be at each process. Capacity for step 3 is infinite and yields 30 C-widgets. C-widgets are you final product.

    What I want is to know if I want to make 150 C-widgets how many of all the previous widgets do I need to make, how much time it takes to make each widget, and have the ability to forecast the most efficient way to do this. In addition, if a process takes longer than it should, I need to be the results to be adjusted IE: use forecasted times for ideal world but, be able to input how long it actually took each process as they come through and have this adjust the amount of time it actually takes.

    Essentially I want to make a production scheduling tool that fits a very unique process that nothing off the shelf currently solves.

    While this seems daunting and it may take me years to make, I'd like to take a shot at it. IE build it to do the basics without capacity limiters or actual times and then go back and add those things as I learn what I'm doing. I've built similar logic in excel and the real world version of this problem is infinitely more complex than the above but, it's a daunting challenge that I'd like to tackle.

    I read the FAQ and while it says what each programming language can inherently do I felt that not a single one could handle the above problem either from the descriptions given or from my lack of understanding of where to start.

    Currently I have an ungodly excel file that does the above plus more so I understand inherently what the logic needs to be, I just need something far more dynamic with far less manual input.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/WilliamCatler
    [link] [comments]

    Learning and Applying C++

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 12:51 AM PST

    I recently finished my first course relating to programming, but I realized that I am lacking quite a bit. What are some resources that I can use to further my knowledge in cpp? So far, I have worked on flow statements, arrays, and classes. I am currently studying with a textbook as well. I want to contribute to some (open source) project, but I feel like I would drag them down since I'm a novice :/

    submitted by /u/RealBitterSweetRain
    [link] [comments]

    Is knowing Computers at a deeper level worth it in computer sciences

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 01:31 PM PST

    As the title says, I am wondering if knowing things like binary and logic gates is necessary and worth it learning computer science, especially if you do not intend to pursue hardware related path, I know that deeper knowledge will Probably help you have a more global understanding but will this be useful in one's future career.

    submitted by /u/Jansenist001
    [link] [comments]

    SQL/MySql Row Locking: How to Apply them?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 10:08 PM PST

    Hi, I'm trying to study about Row Locking and am using MySQL for my database. I have read about shared and exclusive locks, but have no idea on how to apply them on a crud application. I'd like to try making a simple web crud app using php/laravel and test how it works but I don't know how to implement and test them. Can I get some help for this? Or can anyone recommend some kind of step-by-step tutorial for this or any kind of reference to help me get started? Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/SlaughterDoi
    [link] [comments]

    syntax error

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 09:33 PM PST

    im currently working with modules, everything was working fine but now

    def convert_to_celsius(fahrenheit: float) -> float:

    gives me a syntax error. why. im so frustrated. thank you.

    submitted by /u/pussyboi091169420
    [link] [comments]

    How does youtube js and dom loading work?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 09:22 PM PST

    I have some code that checks if you're on youtube and if you're on a video or home page it disables the div that has thumbnails in it. However this only works when you go on the page and refresh the page.

    If you go from a video to the homepage or click the back button to get to youtube, this code still gets run but the divs don't become hidden anymore. Can anyone explain what is going on? I have a feeling it has to do with how youtube's code works. Here is the code

    var tabURL = window.location.href; function disable_suggested() { if (tabURL == 'https://www.youtube.com/') { var app_drawer = document.getElementsByTagName('ytd-rich-grid-renderer'); app_drawer[0].style.visibility = 'hidden'; } else if (tabURL.startsWith('https://www.youtube.com/watch')){ var comment_section = document.getElementsByTagName('ytd-watch-next-secondary-results-renderer'); comment_section[0].style.visibility = 'hidden'; } } disable_suggested(); 

    edit: I've noticed I'm only having the issue when the little red bar at the top loads. I read into this and found that they're using AJAX now to load pages. Rather than reloading the entire page, they just load in the video and everything with AJAX and they change the URL and title with JavaScript. The red bar is to tell you how long until everything is loaded.

    So i think my issue has to do with AJAX

    submitted by /u/anontom101
    [link] [comments]

    Networking

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 09:03 PM PST

    Newbie here, trying to build my network for programming community at twitter. what are the event hashtags for following around software related topics? Trying to put myself out of my comfort zone and grow as a self learning programmer.

    submitted by /u/chocchoc10
    [link] [comments]

    What type of classification does Leet Code fall under?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 09:00 PM PST

    I have a goal of one day creating a site like Leet Code where people can go and practice their skills and prep for interviews but what exactly is Leet Code? Would it be categorized as Test Prep Platform? or interview prep platform, Coding platform etc?

    submitted by /u/Anon-0110
    [link] [comments]

    Why become a JS web developer if python pays better?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 05:05 PM PST

    Hello everyone,

    Just for some background, I started learning JavaScript as my first language at ~11 years of age. I'm sure many people will tell me JavaScript is by no means the go-to for starting out(many of you might even say it flat out stinks), but I didn't know peoples resentment toward it at the time. Over the years, I yo-yo coded my way to knowing some basic Node.js concepts and having a short wack at one particular C++ project. Here I am now, taking a Udemy coarse on full-stack Django development basics. As far as I'm concerned, my knowledge is somewhere between newbie and intermediate--- At JavaScript, that is. As I take the Udemy coarse, I realize how little of one language, JavaScript, I actually acquired over the years. I mainly learned through projects. I would set my mind to a goal, then pursue it to partial completion(no kidding, I didn't ever really see my projects through to reach my aspired dreams). This was okay for learning syntax I already know, but now, after all this time, I'm starting to realize more and more that I have to 'seek out' new information and concepts in order to apply them. There were a ton of procedures that I could have a approached in a cleaner, more efficient ways if I had only learned more syntax formerly. Needless to say, I could get along pretty far with a basic understanding. For me, the initial appeal was in creating games. Even now that draws me, but now I have my own set of other reasons to set up a website.

    Anyway, getting back to the question, my understanding of JavaScript/Node is more or less equal to what I know about Python/Django. No doubt, the course served me well.

    For some time, I had convinced myself I would be "more comfortable" with JavaScript in the workplace.

    Now, knowing that the language has much depth and many important concepts untapped by myself,

    I have reason to believe it would be just as 'hard' as python is.

    So I look it up, and as it turns out, a good many people say it is harder to work with JavaScript than it is with Python.

    Of course, there have to be many other factors that come into play as well. It is not just what language you can be "okay" at as much as what language is easier to master. There is much demand for JavaScript, but there are a ton of developers working and knowing the language. I'm not absolutely certain, but it seems JavaScript is the most commonly learned programming language, even more so than python. So, without a doubt, there is good supply of JavaScript developers to hire.

    Then money talks.

    The annual salary for a JS developer is something like 70-85k/yr.

    Python Developers often get >100k annually(less than a c++/Java developer, but still significantly more than JavaScript)

    So now to the ultimate question:

    Why is JavaScript so popular a career choice if it is harder and pays less than Python?

    At this point in time, do you recommend I take Python for better wages?

    Thank you, all response is much appreciated(and a happy new year to you all!)

    submitted by /u/ReeceTheBesat15
    [link] [comments]

    [Java] How do I make my Java program able to be an actual program instead of something I run within the IDE?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 08:50 PM PST

    For example could I just click a .exe on my desktop and run it? Could I send it to someone and they could run it? How do I do this instead of having to open the project in netbeans and running it there?

    submitted by /u/Missing_Back
    [link] [comments]

    Is Kotlin used for LeetCode tests?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 08:44 PM PST

    I just found out that Kotlin can be used for web and servers. Sounds interesting and I already know Swift and it's like Swift.

    So, do those LeetCode test (and other interview tests) use Kotlin? If not, do they at least use Swift now?

    submitted by /u/KarlJay001
    [link] [comments]

    Just Getting Started

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 08:44 PM PST

    So, I learned Processing JS through the Khan Academy course and have pretty much exhausted the language's usefulness. It's a good stepping stone, but I need something better. I am going to attend college for a degree in computer science and engineering. What languages should I learn and where should I go to learn them? I don't necessarily need mastery now, but I want a stepping stone so that I'm not going in cold next fall. I was thinking C# since that's what Unity uses. Code Academy is nice, but much of it is locked behind a steep paywall and its not the best from what I've seen on this subreddit. Any advice about this career path is helpful.

    submitted by /u/BigIgloo42069
    [link] [comments]

    Is making a game for a senior project a good idea?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 08:22 PM PST

    I've spent most of my life passionate about video games. So much so that I started making little games like Pong when I was only 12. I'm in my last year of college and I'm taking my senior project class. They "strongly discourage" making a video game because of the level of effort required to make a decent one. Considering this is the field I enjoy and want to ultimately be in, I would still like to make one anyway.

    I guess my main question would be: is there a particular genre of game that could be considered semi-impressive with less effort (only 12 weeks of time)?

    I love RPGs and want to make one, but I just don't think I can make a decent one in 12 weeks. Tower Defense is a fallback option I've been considering as well. What are some genres that could be decent after 12 weeks? I'd like to have a full 12-week effort put into the project, not a "done-in-3-weeks" project, which I'd be worry about happening if I made, say, a word-based game. I intend to put around 30 hours a week into it (much more than required of the class).

    submitted by /u/zZentail
    [link] [comments]

    Modern book on learning good coding practices / cleaner code>

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 04:10 PM PST

    I've seen the book "Clean Code" mentioned alot but all those posts seem to be old and the book itself seem old as well. Is there a more modern book people read/recommend these days?

    submitted by /u/Crazy_Beginning
    [link] [comments]

    How do i make this display vertically? But keep the icon and the number horizontal in each line?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 07:43 PM PST

    Solved! : Solved by putting the i and the span inside a div.

     <div id="London" class="tabcontent" style="position: relative; display:block;"> <div> <i class="fa fa-tachometer"></i> <span style="display:inline;"> 30 </span> </div> <div> <i class="fa fa-tachometer"></i> <span style="display:inline;"> 30 </span> </div> <div> <i class="fa fa-tachometer"></i> <span style="display:inline;"> 30 </span> </div> </div> 

    https://codepen.io/SCalmStorm/pen/JjorLao

    So it displays like this:

    Icon, 30

    Icon, 30

    Icon, 30

    <body> <div id="London" class="tabcontent" style="position: relative; display:block;"> <i class="fa fa-tachometer"></i> <span style="display:inline;"> 30 </span> <i class="fa fa-tachometer"></i> <span> 30 </span> <i class="fa fa-tachometer"></i> <span> 30 </span> </div> </body> 
    submitted by /u/SophiaCalmStorm
    [link] [comments]

    Help a beginner in programmer here (React-Native/MySQL)

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 07:42 PM PST

    I am currently self-learning about React-Native (cross-platform mobile application framework) and I am having trouble with the backend with MySQL for query and AWS for cloud storage. Can I have some recommendations on where can I go to learn about the backend programming (More of connecting backend and frontend... maybe with express.js)? Tutorials I found only show code and not explanations.

    P.S. Additional specific question ... I saw a method to fetch data through 'http://your_ip_address/name_def_with_express'. If I would try to publish this application, would other people with other IP address be able to access the data queried? Pardon my ignorance, but it doesn't look like a LT solution to connect the backend and retrieve data ...

    submitted by /u/klumpted
    [link] [comments]

    shortest covering path (python)

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 07:41 PM PST

    so i have a matrix which represents a room. I'm supposed to find the shortest way to go through all the accessible cells. do you have any idea if there is an algorithm that can do that in an acceptable time (don't think my matrix will be bigger than 50*50)

    submitted by /u/amrha
    [link] [comments]

    Question

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 07:22 PM PST

    Here is an excerpt from How To Become A Hacker

    "I can't give complete instructions on how to learn to program here — it's a complex skill. But I can tell you that books and courses won't do it — many, maybe most of the best hackers are self-taught. You can learn language features — bits of knowledge — from books, but the mind-set that makes that knowledge into living skill can be learned only by practice and apprenticeship. "

    And I have seen like things from other sources. My question is: Where do you learn it from? If I finish a beginner tutorial, where do I go from there?

    submitted by /u/microtrEAnsactions
    [link] [comments]

    How do I simplify json files

    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 07:11 PM PST

    How do I simplify json files to only show "text" and not any "ids" "status" etc.

    I recently downloaded my google hangouts data file via takeout.google.com so that I can scroll up and see some old hangouts messages easier but the json file they gave me contains a bunch of data text I dont need and really all I need is the text ie the conversation text and nothing else.

    submitted by /u/fudge290
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment