• Breaking News

    Saturday, November 30, 2019

    I almost all the time feel lost/overwhelmed with design/css web developers

    I almost all the time feel lost/overwhelmed with design/css web developers


    I almost all the time feel lost/overwhelmed with design/css

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 09:48 AM PST

    Since I started learning web-dev there´s only thing that I haven´t gotten confident with and that is designing and CSS. Even though before starting i had 0 knowdlege of programming, and i have some experience with Photoshop and Illustrator (i know, its not coding, but you know...), nowdays nothing scares me more than converting a prototype into CSS.

    It´s crazy but it´s true, with any other technology i feel i just have to stare at the computer and code until i grasp the skill and become confident in it, but with CSS and responsive design i get anxiety lol. Please tell me some resources to look, a to-do guide to follow a certain path. It seems that with desing and css there are so many possible approaches that makes it overwhelming as fuck.

    submitted by /u/ObviousBudget6
    [link] [comments]

    What are some interesting, fun, and free APIs tp play around with?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 05:47 AM PST

    Web Developer seeks interesting API to have fun with and see where things go.

    submitted by /u/RespectableCafe
    [link] [comments]

    Implement spellchecking on your static websites

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 05:59 AM PST

    I created my portfolio as my own personal web app.

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 10:07 AM PST

    https://www.herbieduah.app/

    This project was more for me too learn about design, react, ux/UI design/ typography , app development more than showing off my work

    submitted by /u/dherbsta
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need a cookie-consent popup on every page of my domain ?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 06:15 AM PST

    Or just the main domain ?

    submitted by /u/Matt-J-
    [link] [comments]

    I am a Developer and I Don't Know Anything

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 03:41 PM PST

    I am a developer. I have been, professionally, for the past 3 years. I have published mobile applications and deployed web applications that have made my clients very successful, but throughout all my accomplished work, I still don't know anything.

    I recently had a phone conversation with a CTO of a medium-sized enterprise where I was being examined for my technical prowess.

    What is the difference between Apache2 and Nginx? What makes React faster than native javascript? What is the difference between SASS, LESS, and CSS? Can you describe what an Eloquent model is in Laravel?

    I answered. I answered to the best of my abilities but at the end of the day, I.. I don't know? All I knew was, during the time I was using the frameworks and technologies to complete the work, I was completing a job for a client, to the best of my abilities within a set timeframe allowable for me to use the most modern technologies.

    This made me realize, I don't know anything. At first, this made me resentful. Do my employers really expect me to know everything? How is this possible when tomorrow there can be a new framework that rocks the market?

    Any 'framework' centric developer would know that a framework or third party library is there to complete a task/job at the end of the day and the reason is that I needed to complete my task faster/more efficient. And for a client, I can't be expected to bill them to learn every aspect of this framework.

    What are your feelings towards this? I feel like job employers expect me to go above and beyond and become an expert in standards that can go out the window tomorrow when I have a proven track record of developing successful apps.

    submitted by /u/JKFforPrez
    [link] [comments]

    Creating a form that sends me an email when filled out

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 12:46 PM PST

    Hey everyone, I have a website I am building for my self and am having people fill out a form with a question or help they need. How would I go about making that form send me an email after they fill it out? Can I do this without PHP?

    submitted by /u/Rnugg
    [link] [comments]

    CSS Checkbox Animation - Advanced CSS3 Tutorial | Animated HTML Input, Creative Ideas For Web Design

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 07:59 AM PST

    Updating webapp UI

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 01:20 PM PST

    Hi WebDev,

    I'm looking for some help in terminology here.

    I have an SPA (in this case a poker app), and I want to update the images for the cards (flop, turn, river) using an RFID reader.

    Everything is built with Flask / eventlet, flask-socketio, SQLite. Python app for reading the RFID poker cards and writing to the db. Very basic so far.

    I can't figure out what I'm supposed to be looking to DO. Once the cards get scanned (3 for the flop), they go to the db for the current game. I have the relational info for where the graphics are and such. HOW do I get my poker SPA to know that the cards have been updated and to fetch the graphic source? What am I supposed to learn next here?

    Sorry if this sounds really basic, I'm new. I've crammed HMTL/CSS/JS/Flask/sockets/WSGI/python all into a matter of weeks like some sort of addict.

    submitted by /u/the_produceanator
    [link] [comments]

    I built a mobile solution for finding the best times to meet. Looking for feedback!

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 12:51 PM PST

    How do layer 4 load balancers work?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 06:26 AM PST

    What do they check and how do they route traffic? Do they just check the IP and route the request to the nearest server or do they do more than that like look at inbound and outbound traffic?

    submitted by /u/jesusscript
    [link] [comments]

    Understanding why the public key, for an RSA-SSH login, is stored on the server.

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 01:31 PM PST

    I am newish to web-development and been reading guides on setting up a VPS. According to these guides, you create a public+private key pair on your PC and upload the public key to the server.

    I think I have a general understanding on how the public key can be used to encrypt messages (but not decrypt it).

    But what doesn't make sense to me... is why the user/admin holds the private key (and not the server). If the private key is used to decrypt information, wouldn't the server need that?

    Just trying to gain a basic understanding of how this process works.

    submitted by /u/CantExitVIM
    [link] [comments]

    Criticize my coding and design choices with "Company Cost"

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 12:46 PM PST

    Company Cost is a tool for gaining insight into your company's operating costs. In a non-commercial sense, you are also able to build comprehensive time based budgets for yourself.

    Github: https://github.com/Spraynard/Company-Cost

    Website: https://spraynard.github.io/Company-Cost/

    Anyway, for the sake of learning it would be beneficial to get a sense of how bad everything (design, UI/UX, implementations, etc...) is. I absolutely enjoy seeing where I could be better, but if I don't have any criticism then I'm just coding in a bubble.

    Thank you much for the help.

    submitted by /u/Little_Danson_Man
    [link] [comments]

    Is the 5MB limit for localStorage for all localStorages across your browser, or for the localStorage per each website?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 05:06 AM PST

    [Showoff Saturday] I have rushed this project a bit, but i really like how it turned out (very beta): A tech alternative search. (Feedback needed)

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 12:22 PM PST

    Audio encoding for livestreaming

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 12:20 PM PST

    TL;DR how do I encode audio data for livestreaming

    (Also make sure your reddit formatting is capable of rendering code blocks)

    So here's my setup:

    Transmitter | V Server>----((Audio Stream))---------------------------->>> | | V V Client 1 Client 2 

    Transmitter is streaming audio data to Server who is then serving it to any client who wants to listen. Client 1 connects to Audio Stream after Server started serving it. Then Client 2 connects after Client 1. I want Client 1 and Client 2 to receive the same audio data at the same time.

    Now I got the whole getting-the-bits-to-the-clients part down but I'm having trouble playing back the audio. Basically when an <audio> starts requesting the data stream, it's enabled but it won't play back. I couldn't get <audio type="audio/raw"> to work because it would just turn grey. I understand some formats have headers that need to prefix the actual data, but I haven't been able to find specs for identifiying them from Transmitters stream, and then do I just send that data to each client first before sending the audio data? I also tried finding a format that could be played mid stream without any extra configuring, but I couldn't figure out which formats were capable of doing this.

    This is what Transmitters upload request looks like:

     POST / HTTP/1.1 Cookie: connect.sid=s%3AZmeaODE_sF7QVRJOlIA6QUrGFPlUbHPI.SZiAFfCsWWZuqFVN4DCoDYBRlS4SDTOYk7HsXkbGNEU Transfer-Encoding: chunked host: localhost:3000 Connection: close [audio bits...] 

    And here is Client #s listening request headers:

     GET / HTTP/1.1 Accept-Encoding: identity;q=1, *;q=0 chrome-proxy: frfr DNT: 1 Range: bytes=0- Referer: [The past] User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/74.0.3729.131 Safari/537.36 

    Lastly here is Client #s listening response headers:

     Connection: keep-alive Date: [Today] Transfer-Encoding: chunked X-Powered-By: Express (Yes, the server is nodejs+express) 

    My problem isn't moving data around, my problem is that I don't know how to make sure that Client # know what the audio data is and is capable of playing it back regardless of when it starts receiveing the stream. So to break it down:

    • What audio encoding should I use (ideally the easiest to play back)?
    • If the encoding requires sending any kind of pre-amble, how do I know what it is (documentation)?
    • What metadata needs to be shared throught the Transmitter-Client pipeline?

    (PS sorry for the read, I was taught to provide as much information as reasonable when posting a question online)

    submitted by /u/danhab99
    [link] [comments]

    Noobie here, I need help as to where to start.

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 03:43 PM PST

    I am trying to create a replica of the test at writersdiet.com/test.php but don't know how I could go about this? Any help is appreciated and this is for a project. Something simpler like wordcounter.net would also work! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/JITAA
    [link] [comments]

    Using require & module.exports in the browser?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 03:21 PM PST

    My Node skills are just above beginner on the server-side, but I'm still learning how to write front-end stuff. As a learning exercise, I'm trying to write a client for a chat app that connects to a server that I already wrote in Node.

    I wrote a little front-end code broken up into different files, using require() and module.exports to link everything together. I didn't really think about it, but in hindsight, obviously this doesn't work in the browser.

    How do I transpile just my client code (which is in the public folder) so it works in the browser?

    I suppose I need to install webpack or babel or something? I'm not very familiar with those tools.

    submitted by /u/mattzees
    [link] [comments]

    Having an issue with angular 7 file upload with node express backend and multer.

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 02:47 PM PST

    Can anyone help I'm trying to upload an image from angular 7 front end to node express backend.

    I'm appending the file to FormData then doing a http post request and attaching the form data. However, I'm getting these errors.

    POST http://localhost:3000/imageupload 400 (bad request)

    Access to XMLHttpRequest at http://localhost:3000/imageupload from origin http://localhost:4200 has been blocked by CORS policy: No 'Access-control-allow-origin' header is present on the requested.

    The image upload works through postman but not from angular front end

    I have cors on the backend App.use(cors())

    submitted by /u/Rickygoacher
    [link] [comments]

    Tips for writing a technical specification

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 02:27 PM PST

    What do you write in a technical specification? I and a colleague have to make the frontend of an application. Another guy is buikding the backend. We are going to make a data-analytics tool which is going to be used by colleagues. Some topics we thought of:

    • views: which pages do we have...
    • security: authentication with jwt-tokens...
    • tools: react, redux...

    Are there some common mistakes for writing such a specification, in your experience? Like writing too much/few. Or maybe I miss some important topics above.

    submitted by /u/dedder98
    [link] [comments]

    Got a coding challenge but a requirement of it is to use no ORM. Not sure where to start.

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 01:58 PM PST

    Title.

    The challenge seems so simple: make a simple API webapp. I planned to use Rails, but my understanding is that pretty much all of ActiveRecord is ORM. I would have to do everything myself including: saving, querying, validations, table creation, migrations etc.

    I only have 5 days to do this and I'm not even sure where to start now.

    submitted by /u/Nephelus
    [link] [comments]

    Can you get an AWS account with a prepaid Visa card?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 07:47 AM PST

    I use prepaid Visa cards for my Amazon purchases, so I am wondering if AWS would accept a prepaid Visa card. I am thinking they won't accept it, because they won't be able to charge me 1,000$ if I accidentally use it too much, which might happen, I think. Can we prepay for it, and also can we limit the traffic so we never get in a situation where we end up paying 1,000$ for AWS? If I understand the technology correctly, because some of the AWS services are serverless and we get charged for the use, it's not possible to limit how much bandwidth we end up using.

    submitted by /u/jesusscript
    [link] [comments]

    A very useful website to get inspired by landing pages

    Posted: 30 Nov 2019 02:17 AM PST

    I have been designing and building some website lately and this is where I head towards.

    https://saaspages.xyz/

    I have notice the used of illustrations in many of them, obviously is a trend, many websites start to look the same.
    - What do you guys think?

    - What is your process to get inspired?

    have a good day everyone !

    submitted by /u/Michael_andreuzza
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment