• Breaking News

    Friday, September 20, 2019

    Zelda Breath of the wild toon shader in Unity

    Zelda Breath of the wild toon shader in Unity


    Zelda Breath of the wild toon shader in Unity

    Posted: 20 Sep 2019 05:24 AM PDT

    Blender 2.8 Sculpt Mode Features: Align in Fast Sculpt

    Posted: 20 Sep 2019 04:57 AM PDT

    What do you think of r/streamyourgame ?

    Posted: 20 Sep 2019 11:09 AM PDT

    The concept behind r/streamyourgame is that you either request games to play or for people to play your games while recording or livestreaming

    The idea is to connect people who are trying to get a few views/subscribers with people who would really benefit from watching people play their game.

    Its for two way feedback primarily. So you grow by helping others.

    submitted by /u/various15
    [link] [comments]

    Where is Feedback Friday? I have a game I want people to test but there is no weekly thread?

    Posted: 20 Sep 2019 10:43 AM PDT

    There's no feedback Friday thread. If possible I'd love to have this be this week's thread.

    submitted by /u/SaveTheGhouls
    [link] [comments]

    Is a personal Game Jam worth doing?

    Posted: 19 Sep 2019 10:31 PM PDT

    Just though about it for a moment, Game Jams are supposed to be a quick way to make a concept of a game that works, 2 or 3 days might be enough to develop a simple idea if you work hard enough

    Do you think is worth having that mentality of "I have 3 days to make a game about this topic" for a project is too odd to be considered when developing?

    submitted by /u/That_one_sander
    [link] [comments]

    This guy just breaks your game for fun

    Posted: 20 Sep 2019 07:21 AM PDT

    I drive down the Australian countryside discussing my first Game Dev Job ►

    Posted: 20 Sep 2019 06:14 AM PDT

    What is the most important features you're looking for when choosing an engine for your game?

    Posted: 19 Sep 2019 11:54 PM PDT

    Hy r/gamedev!I have gone down the rabbit hole and started making an engine instead of a game, 2 years in all I see is that the engine's goal shifted from an RTS focused tool-les spartan's framework to an editor featuerd general purpose engine. As of now, I am slowly getting out of the prototyping phase and wanted to know what is a list of feature's other game developers want in an engine? To give more info

    • it is 3D only as of right now
    • my architecture follows an Entity Component System, very similiar to Unity's new DOTS
    • the engine's runtime is written in C (more on why later)
    • because the editor is a runtime application, it should support all runtime supported platforms(phones/tablets included)
    • aims to support Perl,C++,C,C#,Python,Go,Lua,D and Ruby as scripting languages.Now I know what you might be thinking so let me get a little technical here. The goal is to make bindings to the runtime's functions trough SWIG and make it possible to write your games logic in a scripting language. For that the engine makes a little dependency on C++ and uses SWIG's directors to implement an auto generated bridge between your game code and the runtime.

    The supported languages can also use their own library's so you might choose a specific language just to use your best known tools.

    My goal got a bit saturated, so I'd like to get some input from you.

    Questions are also welcome

    submitted by /u/DragonNamedDev
    [link] [comments]

    Wrote my first Devlog about beat detection in our game Spellcasters

    Posted: 20 Sep 2019 08:40 AM PDT

    I have some mechanics ideas, so basically, anyone can uses this ideas, and no one can try to copyright the idea?

    Posted: 20 Sep 2019 12:25 PM PDT

    Question: Getting hands on Switch kit

    Posted: 20 Sep 2019 11:25 AM PDT

    Hello fellow game developers

    I hope everyone is doing good.

    So last night I registered for Nintendo Dev program, apparently coz I am trying to get Switch dev kit.

    Although even after registering I don't see anything related to Switch on my profile. Is there something I am missing?

    Also I have heard that it is not necessary to have a playable game in order to get dev kit. Some developers have just received it without really having to showcase anything? Is it really possible?

    Can someone who has already managed to get dev kit, guide me little in right direction on getting hands-on Nintendo Switch Dev kit?

    submitted by /u/sidmakesgames
    [link] [comments]

    Difficulty Levels - One or Many? Which do you prefer and why?

    Posted: 20 Sep 2019 04:34 AM PDT

    How to get motivation for your project?

    Posted: 20 Sep 2019 05:10 AM PDT

    Ive been working on a project that im really happy about but recently I havent been working and havent really been motivated. How do you get motivation for a project?

    submitted by /u/DCMstudios1213
    [link] [comments]

    Simple Weather System In Unity3D

    Posted: 20 Sep 2019 07:51 AM PDT

    Game design

    Posted: 20 Sep 2019 07:51 AM PDT

    I'm creating a game and I need a good software for art, (weapons, armor, monsters, etc.) I will pay but I don't want a reoccurring payment. Any one know of a good software?

    submitted by /u/ghostthecatalyst
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for pricing advice

    Posted: 20 Sep 2019 07:06 AM PDT

    Currently my game is 9.99 but I really have not been hiding under a rock and know that indie game pricing is currently in a death spiral due to over saturation. That said I was thinking about doing a temporary launch week sale for 50% off. Does this generally result in more sales/impulse buys? or am I better off just taking what I can get at 9.99? I'm torn because if my game magically does well on it's own merits then I am throwing away 50% of my money. On the other had I assume sales get heavy exposure compared to regularly priced games. I guess the question is. Is the "race to the bottom" worth it for an Indie Dev right out of the gate?

    While I am at it, I got a second question about my facebook ad currently the video play throughs is about 10% of the people reached and of the people that watched the video all the way through roughly 30% of those people have clicked the link to the store are these good numbers or should I be shooting for more?

    Link to gamehttps://store.steampowered.com/app/1149210/Turtle_Rush/

    submitted by /u/Amkzul
    [link] [comments]

    how to promote game internationally?

    Posted: 20 Sep 2019 12:45 PM PDT

    what are good places to promote a game internationally? what websites do foreign people use?

    Do most countries play PC games on Steam? or what do they use?

    The trailer for my game introduces the game in like 20 languages, most of the main languages i think. So I need to find good sites to post it on.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/betamaximus128
    [link] [comments]

    A doubt about copyright

    Posted: 20 Sep 2019 12:40 PM PDT

    I have a bunch of game ideas, but i still dunno how to code yet, but im planning on study it in college and start making games after that. I have a bunch of characters, stories,etc. I try to code, but the most i can do in my situation is making text-only games, so i cant apply my ideas. I write down my ideas on pretty much everything. Notebooks,my wiki,etc. Does that make those ideas mine legally?

    submitted by /u/vinaru3000
    [link] [comments]

    Cars Learn To Drive Racing Tracks - Evolutionary Algorithm

    Posted: 20 Sep 2019 12:16 PM PDT

    Tips for organization

    Posted: 20 Sep 2019 02:20 AM PDT

    Hi!

    I am currently developing a game by myself and I find many obstacles constantly. My question is: how did you organize yourself?

    What I mean with the question is, how do you make things work "smoothly"?

    For example, I plan what I am going to do first, such as:

    1) Draw basic character (for code testing)

    2) Draw an enemy (for code testing)

    3) Create code

    and so on....

    but then I realize that I am missing a weapon, or I realize that I forgot a detail that is required for the basic character.

    Or whenever I am writing code, I realize I need another piece of code, and that piece of code requires another piece of code.

    At the end I get so frustrated and messed up that it makes me feel to give up.

    So, how did you organize yourself?

    submitted by /u/Mxlt
    [link] [comments]

    Rough Developer Cost To Produce Crazy Buggy Racing.

    Posted: 20 Sep 2019 03:24 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    I was hoping you could help me with roughly estimating the costs of how much this game would cost to develop, not too clued on about development costs myself. I'm leading a team in creating somewhat of a competitor, similar features, surroundings, etc.

    https://steamspy.com/app/610780

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIfgJgXInIg

    Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/TinglyPrawn
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to make 200 max player fps with Unity.

    Posted: 20 Sep 2019 10:13 AM PDT

    I have started making a mutiplayer only fps rp game and want a few hundred players on a map about 20 by 20 miles maybe bigger. Im noob, no experience yada yada but have been reading for a few months now and see a few options. The game will have driving shooting and proximity voice chat. Also I made plans for a semi complicated social interaction system.

    SpacialOS seems great but probably overkill and really expensive which is fine if it works that easy.

    PUN doesnt seem viable.

    Mirror might work?

    Other than that use something like litenetlib and mainge my own which I really dont want to (or cant) do or pay for.

    I assume what Im looking for is just a single server that can run the entire game without needed the sharding that spacialos provides. If I dont need that then Im sure why I would need spacialos but I dont see anything else that can run 200 players and spacialos has a demo out that does excatly that. Also before I go any farther I need to know how many objects the game can handle. AI traffic and pedestrians would be nice but not needed. For a game this big in a city setting it seems like things could get out of control pretty fast but the design should keep large clumps of players forming all the time.

    Im also thinking unreal engine might be better but that seems pretty far out of my budget and skillset.

    Edit: I realize the scope and not looking advice on what I should be doing instead of this. I guess Im not a total noob I have done some stuff but nothing that great. If I need a team and gobs of money thats fine these things can all be acquired after you make a promising demo. Or even before if you know people.

    submitted by /u/Rdditmblebad
    [link] [comments]

    Should I ditch Javascript?

    Posted: 19 Sep 2019 09:49 PM PDT

    I'll try to make this brief, I'm a front end web developer and my goal is to become a full stack web developer. For work, I will most likely stay within web development but I do want to mess around with game development on the side in hopes that something clicks for me. It would actually be a dream come true to work on AAA games but I feel that is highly unlikely (I hear a lot of horror stories with becoming a game developer). For me at this point, I would be happy with just small games just to say I did it.

    I chose JavaScript as my primary programming language since I felt that you could do so much with it. For example, you could code the front end, code the backend, or even make games with engines like Phaser 3.

    Of course, I'm aware that JavaScript is not the traditional path for a game developer. I keep procrastinating learning a game engine like unity or unreal because I'm already so far into Javascript that it's just easier for me to code away in a text file. I really hate trying to learn how to use the interface of a game engine. Any advice for that?

    Moving on, I have around 200,000 social media followers for a pet-based community and I wanted to make them a virtual pet game but I'm torn on staying with JavaScript to continue my experience with it or finally letting go of it and going all in on Unity or whatever.

    Thoughts? Advice? Do you ever struggle with moving on to a different tool/language? Sorry if this post seems like a personal blog.

    I kind of already know the answer, but I feel I need that extra motovation.

    submitted by /u/12ThePatriotWay87
    [link] [comments]

    Feedback Friday #358 - New Heights

    Posted: 19 Sep 2019 08:11 PM PDT

    FEEDBACK FRIDAY #358

    Well it's Friday here so lets play each others games, be nice and constructive and have fun! keep up with devs on twitter and get involved!

    Post your games/demos/builds and give each other feedback!

    Feedback Friday Rules:

    Suggestion: As a generally courtesy, you should try to check out a person's game if they have left feedback on your game. If you are leaving feedback on another person's game, it may be helpful to leave a link to your post (if you have posted your game for feedback) at the end of your comment so they can easily find your game.

    -Post a link to a playable version of your game or demo

    -Do NOT link to screenshots or videos! The emphasis of FF is on testing and feedback, not on graphics! Screenshot Saturday is the better choice for your awesome screenshots and videos!

    -Promote good feedback! Try to avoid posting one line responses like "I liked it!" because that is NOT feedback!

    -Upvote those who provide good feedback!

    -Comments using URL shorteners may get auto-removed by reddit, so we recommend not using them.

    Previous Weeks: All

    Testing services: Roast My Game (Web and Computer Games, feedback from developers and players)

    iBetaTest (iOS)

    Promotional services: Alpha Beta Gamer (All platforms)

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment