• Breaking News

    Saturday, September 28, 2019

    Spurious GoDaddy charges despite not having products/services for years - A reminder to leave GoDaddy web developers

    Spurious GoDaddy charges despite not having products/services for years - A reminder to leave GoDaddy web developers


    Spurious GoDaddy charges despite not having products/services for years - A reminder to leave GoDaddy

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 11:14 AM PDT

    TIL of Cargo cult programming. What are the examples you have noticed in webdev?

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 03:27 AM PDT

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult_programming

    The cargo cult programming is the use of practices or even literal code blocks just because one has seen it used by others. We are talking about code pieces that serve no purpose but are included because programmers try to emulate other programmers without understanding what was actually done.

    What have you noticed on the web?

    submitted by /u/Tontonsb
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] Made a website with Nuxt that creates Spotify playlists based on the selected artists.

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 08:18 AM PDT

    [Showoff Saturday] I created a devtool for Philips Hue with React and Electron.

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 10:44 AM PDT

    [Showoff Saturday] I created a devtool for Philips Hue with React and Electron.

    With this tool, you can interact directly with the Hue API 😎💡
    https://hue-debugger-ui.com/

    https://i.redd.it/fdjz7rpogdp31.png

    submitted by /u/Simon_LH
    [link] [comments]

    I build my own PHP micro framework [looking for feedback]

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 08:15 AM PDT

    Hi there, I was working in this project around 2 years, and I think it can be interesting.

    The target is to make a light and easy to use PHP framework, with the less documentation possible, a framework which you can read, understand how it works and even be able to modify it for your needs

    Any feedback or contribution is really welcome ;)

    I know that there are a lot of PHP frameworks avaliable, but I wanted to build one, I made this for learning and challenging myself but end up with a pretty decent proyect which is understable, hackable and easy to use.

    submitted by /u/bakeiro
    [link] [comments]

    We all know best code practices but no one follows them (even some frameworks don't) - Why?

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 01:25 PM PDT

    I am now 14 years a developer and I have seen a lot code from other people. One thing I never could understand is why there are so much anti pattern code outthere? (not actually bad, it just does not follow best practice rules).

    Here are some exmaples:

    Laravel: - Base Model god object - Global helper functions - Static everywhere (I tough static is an anti pattern and should be avoided if possible) - Active record (coupeling ORM and Database)

    CakePHP: - Service Locator Pattern everywhere - Why a class when it can be a trait

    Node: - Almost every node/npm module is "static" an not an instance

    I dont want to write here now eveything down but you get the idea of what I am talking about...


    My team and I build one software product which never violated one anti pattern or bad practice (At least we think). It was a lot of work but we never coupled one thing or used static classes or other anti patterns.

    A second team is now building a microservice. They use a lot of static models, global helpers, singletons even if these practices are an anti patterns...

    So they coupled things unnecessary and enforced bad practices.

    But now comes the big plot twist: I reviewed the code and I find it quite good to follow and read. Of course I know that it is not best practice but it works and the code is very understandable.

    Which let me think why we put in so much work to decouple things if a coupled code works as well very good. Even with static classes and singletons and so on...


    After I have seen that I think that if I would start today from scratch I would couple some things more as well. The problem is it is agianst my nature and thinking.

    For exmaple a tiny part form my code:

    • 20 Classes, a factory, a DI Container and so on

    Their code:

    • 1 Static class + 5 classes, which uses the classes directly (so no DI)

    What do you think about this topic?

    submitted by /u/TatzyXY
    [link] [comments]

    Is it bad to ask too many questions when everyone else isn't doing that?

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 07:09 AM PDT

    background: I'm a web developer with a couple of years of experience, my recent job is the first one where I'm working on a very big project with multiple teams, where no one knows everything about every part of the code, and I face this scenario a lot:

    We are in a meeting and two developers are talking about an issue in the "resource context poller" and I have no idea what that is, but they're talking about the issue as if the "resource context poller" is something obviously known to everyone, I decide to ask what the "resource context poller" is and they explain to me, I'm now aware of what they're talking about and can contribute to the discussion, success.

    The problem is, this situation happens a lot, when I have to review a merge request in some part of the code base that I've never touched before, or when there's another discussion that I don't fully understand what it's about.

    I don't see any of my colleagues asking questions in similar situations, for example if they're tagged in a remote part of the code as a reviewer, they just don't review or they go for stuff like itemID should've been itemId and these kind of reviews, and their behavior makes me feel like I'm setting my position as the junior guy if I just ask everyone questions while everyone else is being a blowfish.

    So the question to you fellow developers is, is this a common behavior, and should I just keep asking even if the environment doesn't encourage that?

    submitted by /u/THERES_NO_FREEWILL
    [link] [comments]

    Best Simple Web Dev Tool?

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 04:44 PM PDT

    I'm doing copywriting. To advertise my skills, I want to create a website that has scroll sections that appear only as you scroll.

    .

    .

    3(circled) Examples of amazing copywriting (STYLIZED in animated box) Start Scrolling!

    It's based on me making good words about random things, so it'll be like

    The Cheeseburger. Breathing. Honeydew. Viewers should see the image of the item slowly reveal, then some text below it.

    If Squarespace or another site builder isn't the best option, what is? My budget is about $50, if I have to make a simpler version now and a better one later, I will.

    Thanks for your help

    submitted by /u/VisionAerial310
    [link] [comments]

    [showoff saturday] current agency let me build their new site

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 09:21 PM PDT

    [Showoff Saturday] Citation Generator

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 04:33 PM PDT

    Full Stack Developer Interview Tips?

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 04:12 PM PDT

    Hey guys! I'm a second year student in college, and I got an interview for a full-stack developer intern position at my university. I am not a CS student, and I think I only got the interview because I played around with HTML/JS/CSS and with the help of another software, I made this interactive app. (All in all, not a lot of experience, maybe 15 hours max).

    I'm quite nervous for the interview which is in 3 days. This is the responsibilities:

    - Interpret a design supplied by Food Services into responsive HTML and CSS theming for the WCMS, ensuring that it meets all applicable AODA/WCAG 2.0 accessibility guidelines and is aligned with WCMS design expectations - Develop a method to migrate existing data from the pre-existing back end to the WCMS-based back end - Identify and configure modules to meet any required functionality not provided by the mainline WCMS - Write custom modules and/or extend existing WCMS custom modules as/if needed - Integrate the WCMS with open data web services as needed (maintaining existing connections to open data wherever possible) - Facilitate testing/QA with available resources - Write technical and end-user documentation for all work completed - Prepare work for deployment

    Now I'm not sure what most of those words mean (could someone translate). I don't think I'm entirely screwed, because it is an internship after all, and the post explicitly mentioned they were looking for and only looking for juniors. For requirements, it has these:- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills - A motivated self-starter with excellent time management skills - Ability to work independently and as part of a team - Excellent oral and written communication skills - PHP/MySQL (and/or PHP/MariaDB) - JavaScript, HTML and CSS/Sass - Git

    Now, I've watched a 2 hour video on mysql yesterday and i'm planning on getting comfortable with the material. Should I cover the basics of PHP before the interview? I've done a very crappy webpage on freecodecamp, so I'm planning on showing them that during the interview and the other project I've mentioned. I'm also going to brush up on Git. Anything else I could do to prepare?

    Thank you very much

    submitted by /u/elementarymatrix
    [link] [comments]

    Made an Alternative Framework to StimulusJS

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 04:00 PM PDT

    I've compiled a bunch of standards I've used in building frontend massive multi page apps. I wrapped it all in a tiny framework that is similar to Stimulusjs but is Component-oriented

    https://github.com/tamb/domponent/blob/master/README.md

    Here's a bunch of components built with the framework https://tamb.github.io/domponent/

    submitted by /u/thesadburrito
    [link] [comments]

    Question about using the original template of a website verses scraping it.

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 03:25 PM PDT

    This is an open source template so don't worry.

    Are there any drawbacks to scraping the website rather than downloading the source code?

    It's just a simple html and CSS template.

    Would hhtrack be good for scraping this?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/cryptowank
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] Check out my inventions! I coded this all myself (I taught myself in a couple of weeks. Thoughts?)

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 03:08 PM PDT

    Made a site to help people trying to get into web design without any background. Would love feedback.

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 11:06 AM PDT

    Route can't have a third subfolder

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 02:36 PM PDT

    Hi !

    So I started working on a little side-project and everything was going pretty well.

    Here's how I worked : I have the web.php file that redirects everything to app.js and then, everything is cared for by react-router-dom. I was able to make it work for 2 subfolders (/posts/23), however, when I try to use it with 3 subfolders (/posts/23/edit), nothing works. I don't think it is from the React Router, since it works when I put a wrong path.

    Maybe it comes from Laravel, but I have no idea where it could come from specifically.

    Here is the repo for the project. I am a (very, very, very) beginner about Git, so maybe I did some faux pas while working on the project. https://github.com/AsteroidSnowsuit/laravel-react-blog

    So basically, I just want to understand why /posts/23/edit doesn't work.

    Thank you a lot for your time !

    submitted by /u/AsteroidSnowsuit
    [link] [comments]

    New to buying domain names

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 01:58 PM PDT

    Since everyone I meet in person is telling me to buy domain names through godaddy and I have seen a lot of ppl on this sub saying don't buy from godaddy. What are the other options to go about this?

    submitted by /u/Sibbzz_
    [link] [comments]

    Does it matter where you buy a domain name? How do I hook it up to my website after I purchase?

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 01:53 PM PDT

    This might seem very rudimentary however since I have never done it I am kind of confused how this works.

    This is what I want to do:

    I want to build my portfolio with next.js and host it on their platform ziet now.

    I can purchase my domain name through them however I have compared what they are charging and someone else like namecheap.com, the price difference between the two is quite vast.

    For example lets say I wanted (just an example, the domain probably is already taken):

    bestdev.com

    Ziet now is charing 20$ / year, while namecheap.com is charging $12 / year.

    For the sake of simplicity I am sure purchasing on ziet now is easier to set everything up as they probably do everything for you.

    However, if I purchase from namecheap, whats the difference?

    I am aware the DNS hosting would be two difference companies so performance would probably be different, but if I purchase from namecheap.com, can I add it to any other DNS host ? Or am I locked into namecheap. Is it worth paying the extra to just have ziet now platform handle everything?

    Could the performance of the DNS server from each company be that different?

    I am merely wanting to host my portfolio site so while speed matters, it doesnt matter that much as long as there is no glaring performance difference.

    Also, if I can transfer my domain name, how exactly would I go about doing that?

    Thank you for any help.

    submitted by /u/illitirit
    [link] [comments]

    JavaScript?

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 12:54 PM PDT

    Being a web developer, I don't find it nessesary to know jQuery, but it seems like a lot of tutorials online won't even show me how to do the most basic thing in javascript.

    For most of my projects, I never saw the reason to use jQuery, because they used a few lines of pure javascript, and I felt like it'd be overkill to throw in a whole framework for the sake of a couple of lines of code.

    Is there a reason behind people using jQuery for pretty much everything? I know it's good for compatibility, but what else?

    submitted by /u/walkq
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice for learning advanced web development. GITHUB/Open Source projects? Want to earn money?

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 12:06 PM PDT

    Hey guys. I have some website ideas that involve some sophisticated javascript (I think due to a sophisticated UI concept). The website would also have logins/user profiles.

    I'm a computer engineer (hardware designer) that although I don't program can read/modify/understand code. I know the internet is saturated with tutorials, but they seem slow. Ideally, I'd like to be thrown into an already existing website and be "shown around" the code and how it works and I'm confident I'd be able to pick it up rather quickly.

    Is anyone aware of any good open source projects I should look into? Anyone interested in giving a "crash course" (perhaps over the phone or with remote desktop)? If you're good, I'd be willing to pay. Or in return, if you'd like help with Zynq/VHDL development I could return the favor with some of that knowledge.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/marksp1220
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with animation

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 11:53 AM PDT

    Does anyone know what the effect on the landing page is called? Or how to replicate it? Thanks!

    https://www.zomorrodi-associates.com/

    submitted by /u/future_web_dev
    [link] [comments]

    Backend language that are all-time safe to learn

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 11:38 AM PDT

    I know that every backend application has different requirements. But, I just want to know if I am on the safe side. I am thinking about mastering Flask and NodeJS. I have explored so many things, and now I want to focus on particular languages/frameworks. There are so many tools and languages to use that newcomers might get lost easily.

    So which backend languages are safe to learn (not hyped) and can be used for mid to high level web backend projects?

    submitted by /u/muhib21
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on mixing webflow for a static and a react webapp?

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 10:39 AM PDT

    Hey!

    I'm new to webflow and am loving it so far. I generally build my webapp within authenticated routes and have the whole static + web app codebase be one. I'm building a site for a startup now and I wanted to use a builder to let the non technical people have access to the copy. I planned on using a subdomain for the webapp (app.mysite.com). I was a little concerned about keeping the feel similar between the two sites. Do y'all bother importing the css?

    I also saw forums where people load their react scripts inside their webflow site. I'd imagine that'd be a pain to test out locally and would lead to a huge site.

    Thoughts?

    TIA!

    submitted by /u/DeepV
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment