• Breaking News

    Friday, September 27, 2019

    How are open source programmers able to create and maintain so much thought-out, complicated, open source software and still survive? Ask Programming

    How are open source programmers able to create and maintain so much thought-out, complicated, open source software and still survive? Ask Programming


    How are open source programmers able to create and maintain so much thought-out, complicated, open source software and still survive?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 02:01 PM PDT

    I am learning Python and there are SO many wonderful packages that people have created to give functionality to the community. I love that, it's wonderful. But I simply don't understand how it is economically possible.

    I am working hard to build some simple apps which, by comparison, take little effort and I can barely fit it into my life around my job/family. How can people put in the amount of effort required to create Python, it's packages, or any other open source software and not be paid for it?

    What would be the reason for them to do it? It's great to give back to the community but some of this free software must've taken years of development.

    submitted by /u/Media_Offline
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone used Google Colab for Training Models?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 07:22 PM PDT

    I'm trying to recreate this paper and the authors use both Keras and Tensorflow for training the model. I see that Google Colab has some built-in Tensorflow / Keras folders but I'm not sure if they're sufficient or can be used for training AI. I'm new to both Google Colab and Machine Learning so any advice/suggestions are appreciated.

    submitted by /u/MrMegaGamerz
    [link] [comments]

    C++ to compile Python

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 07:59 PM PDT

    Hi, i'm having trouble with a project I have to do.

    Im suppose to print warning and errors using a python input file.

    for example

    x=5

    y="hello"

    z=x+y <- would cause error.

    What would be the best way to tackle creating something similar to a compiler? I tried reading up and saw theres thing called flex and bison/parsers, but they are incredibly confusing to me. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/xlockii
    [link] [comments]

    What frameworks should I use?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 04:36 PM PDT

    I am thinking of creating a back end framework API with a database attached. An example of a similar application would be Instagram. I would like to be able to use that API for both web and mobile applications. What frameworks should I look into? I was looking into fire base but I heard it can be costly and not that scalable. I am currently looking into flask but would love your opinion

    submitted by /u/gezzaaaa
    [link] [comments]

    help with one of my college courses

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 06:37 PM PDT

    for one of my courses I need to have a 15min phone interview with three people who graduated with a cs degree and are in industry, is there anyone who can help me?

    submitted by /u/justinbm4
    [link] [comments]

    help to solve Anagram challenge

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 04:47 PM PDT

    The main challenge

    https://www.hackerrank.com/challenges/anagram/problem

    my current code, which doesn't work for all test case

    https://codepen.io/BondoS/pen/jONoEax

    submitted by /u/Bondo_90
    [link] [comments]

    Crosspost from VisualBasic: Trendline Equation Creation

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 06:13 AM PDT

    Hello,

    So I have a whole lot of data that I would like to create trendline equations for. I have attempted to create a macro using the record macro function and the relative references function but it was unable to give me the output I so desired.

    I have six lines with multiple points that correspond to time. What I am wanting to happen is

    1. I highlight the data that I would like a trendline to be created from
    2. I click the hotkey that is linked to the macro
    3. The Macro creates a graph of Temp vs Time
    4. The macro creates trendlines, both linear and in second order polynomial form, of each line and pastes it into 12 cells with each trendline equation being in each one, either that or having that data copied and giving me the ability to post it wherever I would like
    5. End Macro

    If this is possible and resources exist out there that have the tutorials on this please point me in that direction. If I am not giving enough detail please ask further questions. Thank you so much to whomever can help.

    This will be using the Visual Basic Language in Excel 2016

    submitted by /u/r99nate
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone explain to me how to create an empty circular doubly linked list in c++?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 12:13 AM PDT

    I understand a normal doubly well enough but once I have to set the last node to the first and the first to the last I can't seem to apply the same concepts as a normal doubly.

    I haven't found any luck online finding this but I just need to see a simple creation of a circular doubly linked list. Where the header node points to itself and there are no other nodes in the list currently.

    The node class creation is simple but is there something special for a circular doubly class that a normal doubly class doesn't have.

    Where in my code do I set header->next and header->prev to header? Do I even have to do that at all?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/arannara
    [link] [comments]

    Next tech stack to learn

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 02:14 PM PDT

    Hello all,

    I'm starting a new project and I'm really wondering what tech stack I should dive into next.

    I want something that's going to be around for a long time. I used Adonis.js for a previous project and while great, I don't think the developers are going to stick with it in the future.

    Here are some techs I'm considering:

    1. For a server-side framework, I'm thinking about using Nest.js as it has a lot of backing and is agnostic, but it also seems like it has a much higher learning curve.
    2. GraphQL/Apollo instead of using Redux - I've been reading many people are replacing redux with graphql
    3. TypeOrm
    4. TypeScript - I only hear good things about TypeScript, so I'm wondering if it makes sense to bite the bullet and learn it.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/FlandersFlannigan
    [link] [comments]

    What is the time for a beginner, cost for a programmer and programming skill associated with these features?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 11:54 AM PDT

    Hi all, I have never programmed for the Web before (and have only had one C programming beginner's course in college). I have wanted to create a particular website for a number of years and have been developing the concept for a while and am now ready to invest a lot of time into it.

    I'm wondering if I can mention some features the site would have and if someone can tell me how long it would take for me to learn to implement each of these features or alternatively, how much it would cost to hire a programmer and what skills I should be looking for in a programmer to do this. I'm trying to figure out whether it makes most sense to learn on my own or hire someone (or give someone equity) to do it. I would also appreciate it if anything that might have high server costs could be estimated.

    =I envision that the site would be a wiki, so one user can start an entry, but other users can modify that entry and the site should log all edits in its history.

    =Users should be able to invite other users to answer questions based on their stated interest and expertise (kind of like Quora). Users should also be able to follow topics of their choice.

    =The service should be able to match each entry with other entries (the degree of the match would be reflected in a rating) according to particular keywords that are specified by users for each entry; characteristics of each entry that are numerically defined, as well as ratings offered by users of the site for each characteristic. (The keywords and characteristics are a wiki too, so each user can add them.)

    =The service should be able to match based not only on a keyword, but also a synonym of that keyword.

    =The service should be able to identify and prevent duplicate entries and characteristics. (Or it should allow users to tag duplicates manually.)

    =Users should be able to have personal accounts, but be able to make some anonymous posts (a bit like Quora).

    Thank you very much for your time!

    submitted by /u/askingadvice777
    [link] [comments]

    Data structure specification by features instead of type?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 11:52 AM PDT

    A discussion about C# changes got me thinking:

    Even data structures perhaps should be specified by capabilities instead of what "type" they are. One specifies immutable, preserve order, searchable-by-value(s), etc. The compiler [or interpreter] then selects which implementation to use under the hood based on feature switches. I want a buffet, not a street block of different restaurants. And you can focus more on what your needs are instead of which "type" best fits needs. It's potentially better abstraction and easier to change.

    Are there languages or API's that do such well? I'd like to compare their feature sets.

    I suspect if you switched most features on, it would resemble an RDBMS table in abilities (except maybe if it also has "tree" features).

    submitted by /u/Zardotab
    [link] [comments]

    What are some nice readmes?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 05:21 AM PDT

    I'm not very good at them, the readme for my fave project is ... drab at best.

    So, I'll do a friday-project to ... add some badges at least! I was going to work today, but now I have to go reasearch on GitHub instead ! I'll update if I see any nice ones.

    Anyone else know any good readmes worth a look?

    submitted by /u/jab-programming
    [link] [comments]

    What are some of the tools and workflows in embedded or native development?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 10:56 AM PDT

    Like currently, I work in Go and microservices, so the tools that I normally use in the day-to-day are stuff like redis, postgres, kubernetes, aws, efk etc. And a subset of this like redis and postgres and db's in general are probably required knowledge for all backend devs.
    For android development I'd expect a knowledge of the ecosystem, but a much lighter focus on the db side (only sqlite I guess?). Disregarding the backend that the app would talk to of course.
    And front-end devs would have skills in design and use stuff like Figma and Photoshop + knowledge of a few popular frameworks & browser apis/support. It's a spectrum but I'd wager most front-devs fall somewhere on it.

    But I have no idea of what tools or workflow would go into developing embedded systems. Like from the ground-up the hardware design to the software that goes within it. How do you design the circuitry. What other tools do you use or are the industry standards?

    Or even something like Firefox for example. Or Photoshop. I assume that the focus of devs on stuff like databases would be less than that of web-backend developers, but I have little clue of what other knowledge is required. Windows/Linux APIs?

    I currently have only really worked in web-dev, so I ask you, considering these (or other programming industries), how is the workflow and knowledge required different than what a standard backend dev would do or need?

    submitted by /u/Riazu614
    [link] [comments]

    Extra character 'Â' appearing before degree symbol

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 02:39 AM PDT

    So I have a string literal in my javascript code "°F" when I print it console.log("°F") it comes out as "°F" instead and it's the same with "°C". Why does this happen?

    submitted by /u/firelemons
    [link] [comments]

    Is there some way to "auto-format" HTML to accept HTML changes without needing to use code?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 09:55 AM PDT

    Hi,

    Kind of a weird question, but I am building a website (for work) and we are hoping to accept contributions from the general public. However, we want to use github for version control, and the problem is that most people don't know how to make changes in either HTML or even markup. We're just basically trying to compile a list, so we'd be collecting just individual entries.

    So my question is: Is there anything that I can do to abstract the code away from the public? I would love it if I could give them just a link to one file on github, and have them type their entry, and then be able to use each entry in pre-formatted HTML (i.e. like have things delineated by newline or something, so that the html code could read through the file that people are editing, and every time there's a newline, the html could add like a <li></li> or similar), and keep everything within the predefined CSS.

    We need to keep it to html or basic javascript (can only host static sites), and need some version control or other record that is associated with some login (which is why I thought github would work well, but also, if there's another way to do this, would love to hear it). Since it's public, if we get bad information or someone like deletes everything, we'd need to restore things.

    Like how iFrames lets you display entire HTML pages... is there some element in HTML that lets you display just content from an external source, that is formatted via your CSS? or similar?

    TLDR; the basic question is, what's the best way to get input from a non-coding public, and place that input into predefined HTML/CSS using some framework that requires an email address or similar to sign up?

    Hope this is clear, happy to re-ask if not :) thanks!!

    submitted by /u/htmlproblems
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone help with PowerApps?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 09:26 AM PDT

    I'm trying to log and push my data to a sharepoint list, but I'm having no luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

     Collect( LogData, { DateTimePunch: TimeClock.Text, Zone: ZoneDropDownList.Selected, PunchInOut: PunchSelector.Selected, BarcodeID: ScanID.Text }; Reset (ZoneDropDownList); Reset(PunchSelector); Reset(ScanID); Collect('SPlistDataSource', LogData)) 
    submitted by /u/cocainesmoothies
    [link] [comments]

    Java Android Development - Advise

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 07:58 AM PDT

    Hello everyone! I am fairly new to Java and I would like to stick with this language so I can be efficient on it. I want to eventually develop mobile applications using java and I was wondering if you guys could recommend me a way for me to learn it, like a specific online course or playlist that I can follow.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/NicolaF93
    [link] [comments]

    Is it better to focus on just front-end or back-end and not both front-end and back-end?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 07:37 AM PDT

    IE: Specialization vs. Jack-of-all-Trades.

    submitted by /u/mementomoriok
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone know of an alternative to Haroopad for creating simple documents with markup?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 07:36 AM PDT

    I've only ever found one free application to easily generate a document via markup, and I'm getting real tired of the bugs and lack of features.

    I'm always having to write wiki-style user guides and technical guides, and writing in pure html is painful.

    Anyone know of any software that's free and converts markup to html/pdf? Thanks

    submitted by /u/PeggyHillOnDrugs
    [link] [comments]

    Microsoft Access Database

    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 11:10 PM PDT

    Hi

    I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question.

    Currently I am creating an inventory management database and I am stuck with a problem.

    I have a table that contain all workers in my company. Some of the workers can have some action which are issuing order, approving order and receiving ordered material (some of workers can only do one action, some two, and some can do all action).

    So then I created 3 more tables:

    1) issuer table which contain issuer ID as primary key and member ID (which connected to member table)

    2) approver table which contain approver ID as primary key and member ID ( which connected to member table)

    3) Receiver order table which contain receiver ID as primary key and member ID (which connected to member table)

    My questions are :

    1) How I extract specific member ID to issuer/approver /receiver table

    2) If I try to display the issuer name for example in a field, I connect the field to member ID under issuer table. But I am not sure how to display the list of names of the issuer.

    Thank you so much!

    submitted by /u/abcxyz-5
    [link] [comments]

    How to search for text with a variable in notepad++

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 04:26 AM PDT

    Hi, I want to replace every text that has "deg":166,} where 166 is the number that changes. I've tried doing it but always wind up get getting the invalid regular expression error. We've been trying to solve this for a long time and could really need some help. Sorry if this doesn't fall into the right subreddit.

    submitted by /u/Danimann02
    [link] [comments]

    Programming in Circles: Is coding an addictive behavior?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 03:09 AM PDT

    A lot of coding I see seems to be "Programming in Circles". Where you write a really amazing editor macro that's going to really help you out with the custom CMS you are writing, which you'll then use to... blog about editor macros.

    I've also noticed that it's very easy to have some coding happening in your mind well after office hours, even when you don't want it there. When the code isn't working.... It's not always easy to leave the computer, unlike many tasks where we can't wait to do something else.

    What's going on here? Does anyone ever feel that their hobby(Or even professional) project has spiraled off and become a compulsive behavior?

    Has anyone ever made an effort to cut back on their coding?

    Or maybe even found that "Compulsive coding" actually REDUCED the quality of the actual project they meant to do, because they got so buried in trying to make the code perfectly neat and clean instead of using one hack to save 80 hours?

    submitted by /u/EternityForest
    [link] [comments]

    JavaScript P5.Play, Space Invader help

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 01:50 AM PDT

    Hey!
    So I'm trying to create a knock-off space invaders using the P5 and P5.Play Libraries in JavaScript, and I'm currently having the following issues with this code. https://hastebin.com/ixuyutepoy.php

    I'm not sure how to make enemies drawn using a For Loop to move about on screen. I've been able to change their sprite, but I don't know how to make it so that they move to one side, and bounce() off the wall sprites I've created on the sides of the screen. For that matter, I'm not sure how to make it so that they can shoot the player. I've created an enemyBullet sprite, and I know I could create an interval to decide when bullets are fired, but I'm not sure how to tie the positions of multiple enemies with where the bullets are created.

    Oh, and on that matter, while I can successfully remove and hide the sprites after the player shoots them, I can't do the same with the player and the enemy bullets themselves.

    If anyone has any advice on how to perform these, that'd be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/deanistopgote
    [link] [comments]

    What are the advantages and disadvantages of being a fullstack dev ?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 01:10 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment