• Breaking News

    Sunday, September 29, 2019

    After 5 years of web development, here are my favourite music radio stations and YT playlists web developers

    After 5 years of web development, here are my favourite music radio stations and YT playlists web developers


    After 5 years of web development, here are my favourite music radio stations and YT playlists

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 02:36 AM PDT

    Inspired by the previous post here, i think we all sometime have this "Lo-fi" period. However, listening to these youtube playlists and live-video's a week or two, they quickly become monotone because most channels simply copy the playlist from one another so there's rarely a song you have not heard before.

    That's why I wanted to share here some Youtube playlists and Radio stations which should inspire you with some changes and bring some variation into the daily programming tasks.

    Chill and relaxing:

    Ghibli Jazz - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jWRrafhO7M

    Joe Hisaishi Budokan - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY1XtWyKlJA&t=5801s

    RT1 Relax - https://www.radio.de/s/rt1relax

    Lounge FM - https://www.radio.de/s/loungefmchillout

    Hotmixradio Lounge - https://www.radio.de/s/hotmixlounge

    Deep and/or minimal techno

    Coccolino Deep Seventeen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRjwF8OWNck

    Bonobo Essential Mix - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtVRjB0MrNg

    RMC2 - https://www.radio.de/s/rmc2

    Beautiful 60s / 70s / 80s mix

    Stay See 70's 80's remixes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki11dfkJYXU&t=2968s

    LTB 90's mix - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W3RA-0uHRw

    Master Chic mix - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoMkGGjsmyQ

    80's Japanese Fusion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQZqZK0wNc0&t=1622s

    Jazz

    Nu Lounge Bar - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBoBIrqwf8o

    The very best of Jazz - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f6V-QehbU4

    Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSpnZZqUBpk

    Hit's and Popular (not your basic local radio)

    Mellow Gold - https://tunein.com/radio/181FM-Mellow-Gold-s90408/

    Radio Monaco - https://www.radio.de/s/radiomonaco

    submitted by /u/Tanckom
    [link] [comments]

    Developers, have you ever tried meditation to reduce stress?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 08:45 AM PDT

    Dear fellow developers,

    Sometimes, work can get pretty stressful, especially when you are dealing with deadlines and pressure.

    There are currently a lot of scientific revelations when it comes to meditation and its benefits. It reduces your stress, improves your cognitive function (Focus, Productivity etc).
    Personally, meditation has improved my life so much. I am trying to introduce meditation to more and more people in their busy jobs and schedule. I do not have anything to promote, I am just curious how other busy professionals like you feel about meditation. Following questions:
    - As a developer, have you ever tried meditation? What are your 2 biggest issues when it comes to it?
    - Is there anything holding you back with trying meditation?
    I sincerely appreciate your answers and I am looking forward to reading them!

    submitted by /u/Fabow
    [link] [comments]

    Plain PHP without an MVC framework makes the perfect microservices.

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 02:32 PM PDT

    PHP by nature is stateless so scripts can run separately and data can be kept isolated from other scripts while still running on the same server. You don't need a monolithic router script to glue them all together on say an Apache server. They can run independently of each other. If you need any data-sharing, you can re-engineer your architecture where two services are now using the same database or write another microservice to glue them together. If you don't like client-side code seeing the .php at the end of URL, you can use a rewrite rule if you wish.

    submitted by /u/cartechguy
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to master web dev?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 02:30 PM PDT

    When I got into software development, I came in with the mindset of wanting to master the field. However, I'm finding that task to be almost impossible. Not only because there's so much to learn, but because things change so fast in this field. Obviously one can master the concepts and theory of web dev/software dev, but it's almost useless if there are still problems I can't solve without stack overflow because something changed when I wasn't looking. So long story short, is mastering web dev a fools errand? If so, then what other related fields can someone actually become a master in?

    submitted by /u/noblejosher
    [link] [comments]

    Do you listen to music while coding?

    Posted: 28 Sep 2019 07:05 PM PDT

    Personally I find it distracting but was wanting to see what others think here.

    submitted by /u/ConceitedA
    [link] [comments]

    best subs for in-development feedback

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 03:47 PM PDT

    anyone know of decent subs that are geared towards posting webapp links for development / feature feedback?

    more on the creative side and less on the technical.

    submitted by /u/elendee
    [link] [comments]

    (Beginner) How is a thing like this usually approached?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 03:47 PM PDT

    I'm a beginner and I'm currently trying to make a website for my music teacher.

    This is the problem and I don't know how to approach it:

    The website sis almost completely static, the problem is there will be one section, a sort of gallery/blog which will need to be regularly updated with recent events for example. My teacher has no knowledge of CSS/HTML and I'd like for there to be a way for him to be able to update and post in that section.

    Ideally, I'd like to use this website in my portfolio once it's completed which is why I do not want to use a CMS like wordpress and design it/script it by myself. Alternatively, is there some content managment system/ panel that would allow me to design the website from scratch?

    What other options are the for such a thing? I'm not that far in to webdevelopment so I'm not sure how people usually approach this and what they use.I refuse to believe that you need to use a CMS if you need only 1 page to be updatable regularly without any html/css knowledge. Any advice is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Vuccappella
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for newbie? Pretty please?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 03:26 PM PDT

    Hi

    I decided today I wanted to make my own website. A social media of sorts. I mean, I don't really know the limits but I'd like to try. Problem is I don't know where to start. I was hoping someone could tell me some basic facts about this. And just some important things to know. Stuff like how does a website work and how does one usually go about it. Hopefully I didn't come to the wrong sub.

    submitted by /u/__cube
    [link] [comments]

    SNAC (Beta) just released. Codeless Server Control in 3 clicks. Need beta testers please

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 02:23 PM PDT

    We just released Snac and need beta testers and feedback. Snac is a tiny remote server Control panel tested on DigitalOcean, Linode and UpCloud (so far).

    With a tiny footprint Snac was designed to be dead simple and extremely secure with basic features like SSL (letsencrypt), Auto security updates, SSL Labs A+ rating, security headers.

    Presently Snac manages your server(s), users, domains, PHP versions and databases. More features are planned but we want to hear what 'you' need!

    Check us out at https://snac.io

    Thanks for reading,

    Roger

    submitted by /u/remacle
    [link] [comments]

    Graph/Facebook API: "from" edge won't return on GET call (dev version)

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 09:43 AM PDT

    Publishers need to think about link-jacking too [and so do developers!]

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 12:51 PM PDT

    Best way to display two items, with the second taking priority over the first?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 12:49 PM PDT

    So i have a div container.

    Inside the div container i want an iframe, with a button at the bottom to 'close the window' (hide the div container).

    The container adjusts it's height to the content inside. Width is always 95%.

    What i want is for the button to always be on the bottom of the screen; if the content of the iframe is longer than the screen; otherwise sit just below the iframe. Then i want the iframe to have whatever screen space is left over.

    I dont want to force the iframe to be any particular size because I can't guarantee the content therein nor the screen sizes of the user.

    Any advice?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Im_Justin_Cider
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone want to volunteer for mental health inspiration app?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 12:42 PM PDT

    Hey, I run a large mental health online community and have a journaling/inspiration community app called MyTinyWins.com. I don't have enough time to manage it and looking for someone to take the lead on the development. Looking for someone who is inspired by the idea.

    submitted by /u/zwschlei
    [link] [comments]

    Design Documentation as a Solo Dev

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 11:05 AM PDT

    So I have this idea, that's going to consist of multiple backend apps (not microservices, at least not yet, but distinct backend apps), and a frontend. I have a lot of general ideas, but I'm really struggling to get some actual requirements or architecture down on paper. I think a lot of the struggle is that the first backend app I'm working on is essentially a pretty thin wrapper around a database - a lot of the feature I plan to put in front of the user, are really features of the DB, or of the frontend. I'm struggling to find the actual business rules of the app.

    Anyone have advice, articles, or a blog or something that address developing these requirements and design docs in the vacuum that is solo development?

    submitted by /u/WackyWormer
    [link] [comments]

    (Beginner) Going a bit crazy trying to host a site with the google domain I've bought

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 10:45 AM PDT

    Hi, I've bought a domain from google. I have an html file which is the website I want to display when someone visits it. I understand google doesn't host plain files like that, and have gotten the advice to do it through github, which I've tried but the process to do so is so complicated and difficult and messy and I've not been able to get it to work even after reading like four tutorials. Is the process of hosting a basic html file on my domain so hard? It seems like such a simple desire I have and yet I can't get it to work so I can't help but think I'm missing something. Please help! Thank you!

    PS I'm very sorry if this is the wrong place—I couldn't find the beginner thread as described on the sidebar!

    submitted by /u/andy_rt
    [link] [comments]

    Most convenient way of making update posts to static page

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 10:04 AM PDT

    I've recently put together a simple static website hosted on Github Pages for a club at my high school (previously did not have one). My teacher who's in charge of the organization initially used mass-emailing to communicate to the members, which would be inconvenient since we'd have to dig through our email inboxes to find the last announcement. So, we decided that a better way to send updates would be to directly post them on the website. A current (very rudimentary) system that I've set up is that the website would read an online JSON file from a Github Gist that I maintain (instead of having to edit a local JSON file and commit/pushing to make changes to website), which would contain all the update posts (including title, date, content, any attachments, etc.). Then I would have to make edits to this Gist by myself whenever a new update came around.

    However, my teacher wants to know how to post updates by himself, in the case that me or other students are not available. But the current system of editing a JSON file on Gist Github is not only cumbersome, but also not user-friendly to him, who is not that tech-savvy. I'm not using Wordpress either, so I'm not sure what is the best way to maintain a list of update posts on the website and make it user-friendly and easy to post new updates on a static page.

    submitted by /u/AccurateSelection
    [link] [comments]

    Mobile responsive Wordpress themes

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 09:50 AM PDT

    I am having trouble with my wordpress website. Main problems are -

    A. not looking sleek, professional, polished

    B. not messing up on a mobile screen.

    Are there any mobile responsive wordpress themes or am I just going to have to dump wordpress and go somewhere else? If so where is best. Went on squarespace and within seconds finding modern clean themes which I feel could make work, but its £15 a month.

    Please help - whats the plan for me?

    submitted by /u/StipaIchu
    [link] [comments]

    How do devs take care of the max no. of requests constraint when using third party APIs in production?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 09:33 AM PDT

    In general, do companies just go for the most expensive API pricing plan? In case even the limits placed by the most expensive one is exceeded, what is done then?

    submitted by /u/ThiccShadyy
    [link] [comments]

    JQuery DataTable alternatives

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 09:15 AM PDT

    For a project I need a DataGrid that feels similar to Excel. In the past I used the JQuery DataTable plugin. I'd like to get rid of JQuery and am searching for some more modern alternatives.

    Inline Editing is a must have. Do you know any DataGrid libraries?

    submitted by /u/ll8X
    [link] [comments]

    5 months into my first job in the industry and my hair started to fall because of the stress.

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 09:12 AM PDT

    And i love it so much <3 . I'm 29 years old and I've never done something in my life that makes me feel like I have a purpose in life until now lol.

    Anyway any tips for handling the stress?

    submitted by /u/lsaz
    [link] [comments]

    Can you give me an explanation and a real world example of a service worker, please.

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 08:51 AM PDT

    I would consider myself a lower-intermediate web developer. I grasp most fundamentals and a lot of higher level concepts as well, however one idea has always escaped me. Service workers.

    I know the definition but I am struggling to really get a grasp on the idea and how I would use it. Why do service workers need to be their own thing? Why would you not put them in a controller or something.

    Could you possibly enlighten me on this subject?

    P.S. All of my practical knowledge on this subject comes from using Laravel and seeing them in my peripheral.

    submitted by /u/moonsout_goonsout
    [link] [comments]

    A side-by-side code comparison between Vue and React

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 08:10 AM PDT

    where can I find updated user agent / browser version global statistics?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 07:54 AM PDT

    I'm looking for browser information / versions (precise version numbers) / user agent. I'd be interested in knowing what the top 20 are globally with % of users. Something updated daily or weekly. I don't really have a website with a lot of traffic to analyze the logs myself.

    submitted by /u/donteatyourvegs
    [link] [comments]

    Requesting a tool to cache the external API calls so I can work offline

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 07:36 AM PDT

    A few weeks back I came across a github repo that allowed caching api calls so I could continue development even if I'm offline. I thought I starred it but cannot find it now. The tool cached the responses and replayed. I know there are things like json-server that can host a json. But this is not what I want. Can someone help. TIA.

    submitted by /u/I_am_TC
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment