• Breaking News

    Monday, August 26, 2019

    How to get better at algorithms? web developers

    How to get better at algorithms? web developers


    How to get better at algorithms?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2019 07:34 AM PDT

    Im a self taught front end developer but seem to struggle with very complex algorithms. What helped you get better at algorithms?

    submitted by /u/Mugen1220
    [link] [comments]

    GoDaddy Knows

    Posted: 26 Aug 2019 02:02 PM PDT

    godaddyisascam.com, godaddysucks.com, godaddy-sucks.com, godaddysucks.co, godaddysucks.in, screwgodaddy.com, screwgodaddy.net (And much more)

    All purchased by godaddy, and redirect to godaddy's main site. lul

    submitted by /u/thchax
    [link] [comments]

    How common is it to negotiate salary for developers?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2019 05:53 AM PDT

    I'm in the last stage of a hiring process and just came back from a meet-and-greet with the CEO of the company. He gave me an offer which was somewhat disappointing, but he was open for negotiations. How common is it to negotiate salary where you're from and is it typical for developer positions?

    submitted by /u/ojself
    [link] [comments]

    Text to speech in the browser with the Web Speech API

    Posted: 26 Aug 2019 06:28 AM PDT

    Is it possible to create a webpage that's only accessible once you've reached a certain elevation?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2019 10:00 AM PDT

    For instance since your iPhone or Android can tell your elevation, I'm wondering if it would be possible to create a website that would only work once you've reached a certain elevation.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/mattstasoff
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone allready used Blender 2.8 models in ThreeJS?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2019 06:52 AM PDT

    Hi, my UV-map isn't showing when I use the GLTFLoader in ThreeJs. Since Blender 2.8 the gltf-Exporter has become a default addon, but that also includes that the previouse nodes have disapeared.

    What do I have to do so that my UV-map is shown on my model? Or is it automaticly exported and do you have to do something different in ThreeJs?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Marthy_Mc_Fly
    [link] [comments]

    Should I build yet another mocked API service (using YAML)?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2019 02:12 PM PDT

    context: Most of the time a spec is built out for a new feature or a new service and the backend team is responsible for implementing the details. The mobile and front-end folks then use the spec as a blueprint to start building out their code. The problem is backend needs to go through at least one development cycle to implement the spec, and that takes time. Mobile and front end devs need something in the interim, and they usually resort to mocking the requests/responses in the meantime hoping that backend will eventually have a V1 up soon.

    A quick solution for something like this is to build a service that allows a team to upload their API contract (routes, request structure / response structure) via a YAML file, and then spawn a dummy backend that can be accessible over a a uniquely generated subdomain. This would allow mobile/fe access to the API spec over http as if it were the real service, and it would prevent any developers from needing to write mocked code.

    It's certainly possible to have backend 1-2 sprints ahead of mobile/fe to avoid this conflict, but there are times when it's simply unavoidable, especially for smaller startups when an established cadence might not have formed yet.

    POSTman has a service for something like this, there's also https://mockoon.com and wiremock.

    Is it worth putting in the time to try and make this a more simple/manageable service compared to the others? I look at products like Insomnia for inspiration and how the product was able to focus on doing the core functionality extremely well when going up against postman.

    Could really use some thoughts and opinions around this!

    submitted by /u/snapkast
    [link] [comments]

    60 Second Styleguide

    Posted: 26 Aug 2019 01:31 PM PDT

    nginx for Node.js

    Posted: 26 Aug 2019 05:48 AM PDT

    I've been told that it is best practice to use nginx as a reverse proxy and/or load balancer for Node.js servers due to various reasons.

    Does this mean that Node.js developers should learn how to use nginx as a whole, or just learn how to utilize nginx for those two tasks? Are there additional nginx tasks a Node.js developer should tap into?

    submitted by /u/SecretAgentZeroNine
    [link] [comments]

    How Google fonts actually works?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2019 02:21 AM PDT

    I am playing around with google fonts and I don't understand one thing. Let me explain
    I am loading google font ( Lato) using this URL <link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Lato&display=swap" rel="stylesheet"> which means that I am just downloading regular "Lato" font with 400 font-size (By default) but if I apply font-size:bold and font-style:italic it is still working fine in browser even though I am not downloading its bold and italic version.
    How is it working?
    Thanks

    submitted by /u/MeRedditSurfer
    [link] [comments]

    React Reverse Portals: mount elements once, place & move them around the DOM later

    Posted: 26 Aug 2019 04:55 AM PDT

    VSCode version 1.37.1 starts to lag pretty badly after about 15 minutes being open

    Posted: 26 Aug 2019 08:50 AM PDT

    Figured I'd toss this out there to see if it's happening to anyone else. Before I updated to 1.37.1, I never had these lagging issues. Like text will take a second to register when I type. It's so annoying.

    I think it might have something to do with the integrated terminal and how it renders. I typically have 3-4 terminal windows open in VSCode. Once I got a pop in VSCode asking me to switch to a different rendering process because of performance. I also thought it might of been an extension so I disabled them all and still the same issue occurs.

    I'm using a MacBook Pro with the latest OS.

    submitted by /u/skidmark_zuckerberg
    [link] [comments]

    Html css and js

    Posted: 26 Aug 2019 02:39 PM PDT

    I have some past experience with coding, mainly c# / c++ and recently started using J's with node to work on a discord bot. If I want go become a fullstack developer or even just create a website for fun. How relavent is html and css? Or course they are and I'm fiddling with them right now but just how much effort should I put into them? Could I design the entire page using nothing but js document commands? With no css to make the page look "pretty"?

    Any and all insight into the right scope would be appreciated, thanks in advance :)

    submitted by /u/BackFlipTrick
    [link] [comments]

    What are some great websites to use to get pictures for my site?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2019 07:58 AM PDT

    Integer Overflow at Checkout

    Posted: 26 Aug 2019 10:00 AM PDT

    I'm currently providing feedback on a website for a friend, and I noticed I was able to overflow the cart to have a negative quantity of an item, and thus a negative balance. Now I know how to fix this, but I am curious what would occur if I actually tried to complete my checkout.

    submitted by /u/ArgentumMyr
    [link] [comments]

    trying to run a while loop that stops and runs a function when a variable changes from a string to a number.

    Posted: 26 Aug 2019 07:47 AM PDT

    xpost from r/learnjavascript

    code below. that doesn't work (spoiler alert).

    my web page runs some jsonp that gets the numeric value for the variable controlNumber (runs on a loop)

    however, sometimes it takes a minute for the db to connect and for the controlNumber value to be set as an integer.

    I want to define the controlNumber as a string on load and then initiate a while loop. Once the while loop detects that the string is now an integer, i want to call a function and kill the while loop. let me know if I can do a better job explaining this. Thanks!

    var controlNumber = 'string place holder';
    function checkForControl(){
    while (isNaN(controlNumber)) {
    if (Number.isInteger(controlNumber)== false) {
    break;
    }
    console.log("break initiated")
    // code to run when control number becomes an integer
    setStatusReady();
    }
    }
    checkForControl();

    submitted by /u/therealdiscursive
    [link] [comments]

    Should I learn web development or hire someone to do this?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2019 01:42 PM PDT

    I'm not totally sure if I'm posting this in the right subreddit but here is what I'm thinking. I want to create a website that simulates a battle between two armies based off of certain inputs you put in. You can check on this battle anytime you want by logging in. Im thinking like a stick figure animation type of battle but possibly less complex. Should I learn how to do this myself or hire someone to do it? If I were to hire someone at an average rate what could I expect to pay for something like this?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Busch_Jager
    [link] [comments]

    How to not get rusty?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2019 12:45 PM PDT

    I was laid off from my last job due to money issues, and I secured a new front end job.

    It's basically utilizing html, css and some vanilla js here and there. No js frameworks. Mostly laying out UI components but minimal interactivity.

    Thing is, I've built some small stuff on the side with react, but I don't want to get rusty with it. I'm fearful that five years down the road, if I want another job, I'll lose the skill because I don't use it at my job.

    Any advice on how to keep up with react even when you don't use it at your front end day job?

    Not sure if this matters but I also have a newborn. Tough to find time..

    submitted by /u/jd0909
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions/tips

    Posted: 26 Aug 2019 12:33 PM PDT

    Hello guys, i'm here you ask you politely to take a few moments to fill in a survey i just made about a music platform/app i'm just planning to create, its just 5 questions so it wont take too much time, it'd be great if you can help me with this.

    Comments/ideas on this post are also valid.

    Note: If this is against the rules, please let me know.

    Thank you and have a nice day.

    https://forms.gle/CC2rnuLG6nR2dqCr6

    submitted by /u/HeyIts1v4n
    [link] [comments]

    Front End "Programming" Question

    Posted: 26 Aug 2019 12:31 PM PDT

    Hey everyone, I've been designing websites since 1995. Yeah, I'm old as eff. Anyway my career has taken me on a few twists and turns and I find myself doing more marketing rather than web development. Awesome. Problem is my web chops are getting super rusty. I currently use bootstrap to build sites but am curious? What are THE front end languages and frameworks that are worth investing my time in? Javascript still? Some other framework?

    What's your go-to programming for front end development?

    submitted by /u/InSearchOfTheTower
    [link] [comments]

    Any ideas for showing the Git SHA and branch on the frontend?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2019 12:24 PM PDT

    I have looked in all the normal places to find advice, but can't find any ideas. Basically I am trying to add the deployed branch and SHA to our "About us" page but I don't have any good ideas. I need access to the git stuff in React to make this work, but I am not sure where to start. Thanks for your help!

    submitted by /u/aetweedie
    [link] [comments]

    How to structure my profile/resume as a no-experience bootcamp-grad aspiring dev?

    Posted: 26 Aug 2019 11:34 AM PDT

    So I think this is a question that many would also share and i've used the search bar to see if its been asked and have found many sinilar questions but none exactly relating to this.

    I (like many other lurkers here, I assume) am an aspiring developer who is a bootcamp grad with no experience. Obviously not a good background to get started. I know all about the prejudices against bootcamp guys and the prejudices against those withoit professional experience go without aaying.

    My question is, how can i structure my online profiles/resumes to best get a job from this position?

    The main thing is the lack of experience and lack of trust that I can do the job. Right now all i have to prove my competence are the few projects that Ive worked on. Should I straight up acknowledge my lack of experience or should i try to demonstrate a counterexample without flat out mentioning it? How should i structure my story as a beginner?

    This is sort if what im getting at when I ask this question.

    submitted by /u/lilmozee
    [link] [comments]

    Core Chrome DevTools Workflows: Debugging JS & CSS, Prototyping CSS

    Posted: 26 Aug 2019 10:54 AM PDT

    Any good admin interface templates you would recommend for a lamp stack admin portal? Just mainly need something for clients to manage billing and their “team” on the web app.

    Posted: 26 Aug 2019 10:54 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment