• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 31, 2019

    Question for self-taught programmers, what resources did you use to compensate for your lack of a CS degree? Ask Programming

    Question for self-taught programmers, what resources did you use to compensate for your lack of a CS degree? Ask Programming


    Question for self-taught programmers, what resources did you use to compensate for your lack of a CS degree?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2019 12:08 PM PDT

    Bit of background, I'm currently taking a Java course on udemy and really enjoying it. However my degree and work experience are in a completely different field (Accounting) and whilst I am learning how to write code and OOP concepts in general I feel very ignorant of computing as a whole. As in I'd have to google RAM to understand what it actually does!

    Is it normal for an aspiring software developer to get a job "simply" knowing how to code in one language and building a portfolio off of that, or should I be looking to understand computers as a whole?

    Sorry if I'm framing this question a bit weird... hopefully my point gets across!

    submitted by /u/FMExperiment
    [link] [comments]

    I really need a path to guide me

    Posted: 31 Jul 2019 06:03 PM PDT

    Hello lads, I have an issue here and I tried to solve it in multiple ways but below are my issues, IF i dont make sense please feel free to let me know! :

    The problem is that, I consider myself a somewhat "Advanced" beginner if you could call it that, I have a bit of experience with coding (The most i have ever done is a 1 year course on the fundamentals of programming, and ive made a simple calculator that is about it). I am wondering if any of ye can help me find a proper path towards becoming a programmer, as I feel overwhelmed and completely lost with all the info and courses and projects out there! I am trying to google it but i just cant quite put my finger on what to call the type of issue i am having

    In a nutshell: I am completely lost in this whole world of information and I really want to start working on my own projects and learn new concepts but I just do not know where to start! There is so much information that I am just lost or clueless, I really need a sort of "checklist" or "Guide" or a "path" to follow, but yeah thanks for reading this I am just really frustrated.

    Info: I did the course in JAVA and I have played around with Python, most I ever did was make a simple calculator (division etc), and my main interests are just to get a proper solid knowledge and ability to work on any projects I please, and be able to self-learn from there (I am a bit slow so im sorry if Im not making sense in my paragraphs or something, please let me know!) Working on my first simple game would be awesome too!

    submitted by /u/TrenchFurry
    [link] [comments]

    In Python, is the number 0 being false just a quirk of the language or something that is a useful tool in programming?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2019 08:42 AM PDT

    I've done Java for a year at uni and I'm reading through the Python documentation. Is using numbers as booleans good programming practice?

    submitted by /u/cherry_doughnut
    [link] [comments]

    [License] Open for Personal Use, Closed for Profit

    Posted: 31 Jul 2019 09:20 PM PDT

    I'm at the beginning stages of creating a website that I'll be able to host in the cloud and make it available to everyone. I'm going to start a non-profit to oversee the code, I'm mainly interested in affecting change and not monetizing off of it, hence the non-profit. I want to make my website available for personal use and eventually in the cloud, it'll be open source and versioned on github, but I'm afraid someone will try to host it themselves make a profit off of it, thus defeating my vision of it. Is there a good license that I can apply to my project, am I worrying about nothing, any other advice?

    submitted by /u/ENSainETY
    [link] [comments]

    Do you think HTML + CSS + JS will ever be replaces as #1 for programming web applications?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2019 03:52 AM PDT

    What do you think it would take for a new technology/technologies to dethrone HTML + CSS + JS for developing web applications? And will it ever happen?

    EDIT: I know there are lots of technologies that transpile into js/css, and they come and go (coffeescript, less vs typescript, sass), but the js/css still remains. I was wodering if they will ever be abandoned altogether in the foreseeable furure. Considering browser support, user adaptation, performance requirements etc. P.S.: sorry for the typo in the title

    submitted by /u/tntbigfoot
    [link] [comments]

    What tips do you have for a new developer who is creating a new site for the first time?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2019 04:44 PM PDT

    I have been learning some of the basics of HTML, CSS, and Java and as part of my curriculum I have to build a basic site. Nothing very fancy, just a single page that probably won't even use any JS. What are some things you wish you had know or pointers you can give a brand new dev?

    submitted by /u/RandomCitizen67
    [link] [comments]

    What does your company use to run application homework code?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2019 03:29 PM PDT

    I'm curious what you guys use to run code that is submitted by applications for their homeworks so your employee's don't run the code on their machines locally.

    submitted by /u/railsnewb1122
    [link] [comments]

    Final year project Ideas

    Posted: 31 Jul 2019 01:54 PM PDT

    I have to decide on a final year project for my software development course to do but I am drawing a blank.

    Lecturer says it can be about anything so the only requirement is for it to be hard.

    I am open to any suggestions.

    Thanks for taking the time to read my post

    submitted by /u/greywolf_18
    [link] [comments]

    Hey Everybody! I just joined but wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction here. I have a .config file (Type: xml Configuration File) that I am trying to edit if possible. When i use binaryninja it spits out Hex. Any help is appreciated.

    Posted: 31 Jul 2019 01:33 PM PDT

    So, if it's an XML file my thinking would be that it spits out XML not hex. Also when I try to edit in notepad it spits out ‡†GfqQôägöð•·w—×¥ç.

    submitted by /u/Dr-Spaceman_
    [link] [comments]

    I'm not a programmer, is there an application I could use to build a simple purchasing system?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2019 12:37 PM PDT

    The small construction company I work for wants to implement a very simple PO system. The programs I've researched so far are either very robust and expensive or are very simple and affordable but lack 1 or 2 key features I'm looking for. I'm wondering if making my system would be a viable option.

    Here's a list of what it would need to accomplish:

    • Maintain an item/vendor database
    • Create a purchase order for in-house use only using that database
    • Use data from the PO to create a printable Receiving List to verify material when it arrives
    • Mark items as received in the system with the ability to track partially completed orders
    • Query previous POs

    The only program I'm familiar with that could do what I'm looking for is Excel but I'm also considering Access unless there's a better alternative.

    submitted by /u/TheMrEM4N
    [link] [comments]

    IBM's PowerAI Vision, please help

    Posted: 31 Jul 2019 11:57 AM PDT

    How can I begin to use it?
    Specifically, how can I get to the screen shown in the video I linked (timestamp), or a screen similar to it?
    https://youtu.be/0F5w6q0ZpBI?t=60

    submitted by /u/euclideanplane
    [link] [comments]

    LISP (And derivative) programmers, how do you keep track of all the parentheses?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2019 10:44 AM PDT

    Is it possible to create an audio player in C# UWP or will I need C++?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2019 10:37 AM PDT

    I want to make an audio player like VLC or Groove Music. It will have some basic features like seek, fast forward, rewind, slow down and speed up playback, etc. Will C# be enough for this or will C++ be needed?

    submitted by /u/Curious-Cat-2020
    [link] [comments]

    Is memory cleaning software effective on modern computers?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2019 06:51 AM PDT

    If there's a better sub for this question let me know and I'll remove it from here.

    My assumption has been that the programs clean up memory leaks and kill processes that haven't been used after x amount of time. I did some light googling and that seems to be the case. However, I also read that most modern operating systems come with smart RAM management systems built in.

    I guess my main question is, do third party memory cleaning programs do anything that the operating system doesn't do? If so, does it do it in such a way that it doesn't interfere with programs currently running?

    If you need a specific example, I have a MacBook Pro running the latest OS. I've noticed that if I quit a game or some other memory intensive software the memory cleaning program will normally say that it cleared about 1 to 1.5 GB. Let me know if you need any other info.

    submitted by /u/GRik74
    [link] [comments]

    How do you organize your resources?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2019 12:00 AM PDT

    Hi everyone, I would like to ask about the way how do you organize your resources (images, sound, configs) in project directory tree? From little bit of googling I know that kind of standard is to use directory called "resource" or "data". Do you split these resources to subfolders (e.g. images, sound, ...) or do you keep all files together? I will be glad for every opinion, thanks a lot.

    submitted by /u/jakuborava
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment