• Breaking News

    Sunday, June 2, 2019

    VR Sculpting is AMAZING! My first Oculus Medium Character - Sci Fi Queen Bee

    VR Sculpting is AMAZING! My first Oculus Medium Character - Sci Fi Queen Bee


    VR Sculpting is AMAZING! My first Oculus Medium Character - Sci Fi Queen Bee

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 02:46 AM PDT

    I gamified Rorschach tests. I'm creating an adventure game where you have to decipher the patterns from the image to move the story forward. I've implemented Wordnet for Syntactic Similarity to give hints about how close you are to the correct answer. Coming to Steam.

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 08:41 AM PDT

    I've created a content editor that makes level creation much easier - nothing fancy but I'm proud of it, I though it might be worth sharing

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 07:23 PM PDT

    How is it possible that so many games are never finished?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 10:14 PM PDT

    I was in the alpha for this game called "Death Toll". It was unplayable so I decided to wait on it. Decided to check in tonight and development has ceased. The game never reached the point of feeling complete.

    The developer wrote a very personal message explaining that they spent $350,000 developing the game over 2.5 years and only made $13,000. He wrote that most of his staff were getting paid in royalties so they were never going to get paid. He added that one of the lead developers had to quit and find real work because he was on the verge of losing his house. He also mentioned that he himself was being divorced presumably because of his lack of income.

    It feels like most of the games I have been involved with in the last few years have never released (I actively seek out alphas and betas). So my question is why does this happen so frequently?

    Sometimes a game releases and it's a financial failure. That's not what I am asking about. I am asking how so many games don't even get finished?

    Is it bad employees? Is it some economic factor that makes it very difficult to estimate development costs? Is it simply that the combination of too ambitious, underfunded, and inexperienced is extremely common in the game development world?

    And it doesn't even seem limited to indie games, we all know that big companies have announced games and then cancelled them. It figures that many games are started and then terminated without ever being announced to the public.

    It seems to me that the majority of games fit into some genre yet define themselves with a unique feature or mechanic. Why is it so difficult to estimate within reason how long it will take and how much it will cost?

    So to summarize: Why are so many games never finished? Can anyone elucidate us on what is going on in the game dev world?

    submitted by /u/noshots00
    [link] [comments]

    Balance Level Flow with Graphics (Level Design)

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 05:19 AM PDT

    The history of programming glitches in Donkey Kong - Glitch History

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 09:27 AM PDT

    Should I apply a [-2% -> +31%] result of an A/B test?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 02:46 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I was A/B testing 3 variants of Game App icons for my game in Google Play Store.

    Here are the results:

    https://i.redd.it/io842q74zw131.png

    As you can see the "Cultist Book Icon" variant has [-2% -> +31%] performance in increased downloads.

    I've read in this article that if you have any negative percent you SHOULDN'T apply the change.

    But the positive value is so large (31%) that I became a little uncertain .

    Any tips guys?

    Regards,

    Adam

    submitted by /u/Adam_DuelsRPG
    [link] [comments]

    Sports Manager Resources

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 07:10 AM PDT

    I'm in the early research phase of a potential new project, so I was just wondering if you guys have any recommendations for good resources (books, blogs, videos - anything really) about sports management simulations?

    submitted by /u/Astelli
    [link] [comments]

    Degrees outside the U.S. Required?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 07:49 AM PDT

    Is a college degree important to have for something like Game Dev or Game Art outside of the U.S.? I've heard alot of people online say you don't need a degree for Game Dev or Game Art, the only thing that employers really care about is a good portfolio. I was wondering if this was the case internationally or just in the states, particularly in Poland, Korea and Japan?

    submitted by /u/JUGGERNUGGS
    [link] [comments]

    To all Godot users here, are there any tips on starting to use Godot?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 08:28 PM PDT

    How do I ensure that the freelancer I am hiring has the rights to the images he's using?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 10:59 AM PDT

    Hello all!

    I am currently using Fiverr to generate some icons for my game. I am hiring someone for cheap but I am worried he is using images that he may not have the rights to. He is from a country with little to no copyright law so I am afraid he doesn't understand when I ask him this.

    Whats the best thing to due in this situation? I use reverse image searches but its hard to find where the original image comes from and if he has rights to it.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/The_Code_Runner
    [link] [comments]

    2D Level Design Literature?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 03:46 PM PDT

    Rather than googling the question and getting generic answers, I thought I might come to you, r/gamedev, for a more tailored answer.

    Basically, I am looking for literature (or any other media) regarding the theory of 2D level/world design from the ground up.

    - If you have general recommendations, you can stop reading here and go ahead, if you'd like more details about specifically what may help me, read below.

    I have a small project I have been working on, and I have been playing around with in unity, I have a bunch of small functionality going on and am feeling optimistic. It's an RPG game, 2D as previously mentioned. Here is a screenshot of my current workflow and how I'm approaching the process of creating the game world and the smaller levels.

    1. Large plain of grass
    2. Divide into 20x15 segments containing 16x16 pixel tiles
    3. Create some sort of path or environment, taking into account grid location and viability of those additions to the segments on a smaller level.

    A thought on what I have posted as an example; I already see, given the path that I created as an example, that I would like to double the dimensions of each level segment, and add a moving camera to my character, keeping the camera at the original 20x15 size.

    Given what you see style-wise, does anyone know of any helpful information (or even personal experience) regarding this type of level/world design?

    Much appreciated in advance, I'm eager to hear everyone's thoughts!

    submitted by /u/ToyaDev
    [link] [comments]

    Is there less competition in making money with animations than with money from games?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 01:25 AM PDT

    Sprites with a shared material not rendering in Android Build, but rendering in Editor.

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 04:22 AM PDT

    I use Unity3D. They are in game like doing collisions, just not rendering like 0f transparency. It has been working until I modified the game for static batching.

    • Material - Shared
    • Dynamic Batching - On
    • Static - Off
    • Sprite Packer Mode - Always Enabled.
    submitted by /u/ZiyaJafarov
    [link] [comments]

    can anyone explain Ray Casting to me?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 11:46 AM PDT

    I am aware of the process but I am confused in some parts.
    Really need help

    submitted by /u/periperidip
    [link] [comments]

    How to change kangaroo into tunable Lowrider

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 11:11 AM PDT

    Why you should add extensive modding possibilities to your game (but make them easy to use)

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 08:47 AM PDT

    Hello, my name is Dariusz G. Jagielski and I'm a game developer from Poland currently working on a hyper-retro (think Stunts/Alpha Waves/other early 3d flatshaded games such as Test Drive, Skyroads or Driller/Castle Master and you'll be in the right ballpark) 3d platformer Computer Virus Simulator. This is how my level editor looks like:

    Literally right after accessing it.

    And this is the game's hero:

    Processing gif 2r7wj5v6ky131...

    But let's get back to what this post is about.

    Make it moddable.

    First things first, you most likely use Unity or Unreal to do your game (or other fully-fledged engine such as Godot). Those usually come with very well-articulated editors, which aside of Unreal and open projects such as Godot are tricky to use as modding tool for your game either because they'd be too confusing (more on that later) or because people simply don't want to download 20gb or something of tools they don't need (most of these have to do with building executables for various platforms) just to make a level or two. So the best way to do this is to build your own level editor and use some sort of glue code in your game to load levels.

    As to why you should add modding, it makes sense both from marketing standpoint (people will talk about your game and youtubers will make content long after finishing the main campaign because of the custom stuff) and business sense. I (and many more people I know) have bought Skyrim and original (1993) Doom/Doom II: Hell on Earth not because of the base game (which is great in mentioned cases by its own right), but because all the crazy mods and maps they could play with. Hell, just look at Super Mario Maker and recent Dreams - games entirely built around modding with basically no real campaign to speak of (SMM2 is a different story, though. Thank you Peach, but your castle is in another kingdom).

    Make it powerful.

    Dogfeed the level editor you've made. Made actual campaign levels with it. Don't then remake them in the main engine if you run into troubles of inefficiencies in your tool, change the tool to be better (and more on that later). If you can do it, so should potential modder. And don't limit the modding tool in any way post-release, let modders go wild.

    Powerful modding ability gave us stuff such as Enderal (was that hw it's called? Too lazy to look up), a basically total rewrite of Skyrim that gives you completely custom characters and story, not to mention the world and oh-so-many Doom WADs.

    Make it easy.

    Think of little Ann. She's 8 year old, a big fan of your game and wants to make something special that's not another drawing of your game's characters. Can she use your editor, powerful as it is or is it too hard for her? Keep in mind that you never remove/block off features of your level editor - if some feature is too hard to use, you see if it can be made easier without removing power it has and if it is really as simple as it possibly can be and making it simpler would make it less powerful, you do easy to understand documentation that explains the feature in the layman terms.

    Originally my level editor didn't have transform widgets and you positioned objects by literally entering position, rotation and scale. Yeah, eventually I got it done even though it literally cost me (as I couldn't write transform widgets that are any good I had to buy third-party asset for that). Oh, you couldn't select multiple things back then as well, by the way.

    When I was researching various existing level editors in order to learn what to do and what not to do, I was really amazed how easy it is to make a Doom (1993) map, especially with all-in-one tools such as SLADE3 or even an entire episode. True, Doom wasn't real 3d (you couldn't do rooms over other rooms in the original engine), but still - everyone should try to make a Doom map and see how easy it is for yourself. That's what inspired me the most, especially in the terms of how interactive you can make the game. That's why in the level editor of Computer Virus Simulator, there will be Doom-like triggers (think linedef triggers) and I really tried to make them as powerful and easy as they could be. You already were able to build stuff in the editor from simple 3d primitives (the art style was decided at this point) so then I've added an ability to make each of these primitives to do some stuff when players collides with/go through (in case of passable triggers) and also every object in the scene can be a part of a group which some triggers affects (such as ones that makes certain groups invisible/passable or change their material, last one being a relatively new feature).

    This is way, IMO your game should include the modding and how to execute it the best.

    Computer Virus Simulator is going to be AMAZING. You can help the development by contributing to the Patreon and spreading the word about the game.

    submitted by /u/Darkhog
    [link] [comments]

    How far would you take a simulated unix terminal for puzzle purposes?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 02:49 AM PDT

    Yo, long time lurker here. I am a junior game developer (although I am the only programer there) at an indie studio working with ue4. For my personal projects I usually roll with either godot or unity. I recently saw a Fakeshell class posted on r/godot and I got so excited. I went back and replayed Mucomplex and started writing my own, engine agnostic Shell implementation in C#. I have only sank about 6-7 hours up to now but I have the base implementation of the terminal, including directories, files, file permissions, users and superusers. That's when I got to the point of file creation and got stuck on how I should proceed. In order to make the unix terminal a good experience for players that have never touched it, I realized that passing more than 2 arguments can seem daunting, let alone dumping to file with ">" or using VIm.

    So my question is, where would you draw the line between an authentic experience and a fun and engaging one?

    submitted by /u/ins_billa
    [link] [comments]

    Working on a retro themed Mech game, called Iron Judgement. Here are some info and screenshots about the game.

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 02:40 AM PDT

    In the game, you will be a mercenary and you're going to travel to various locations to carry out your missions. These can range from destroying or defending underground facilities and highly-secured military bases, chase convoys in ruined apocalyptic cities of the wasteland or duel vicious terrorists in brand new metropolises.

    As in most Mech games, you could build your mech in Iron Judgement as well. Salvage parts in missions or buy them in the black market. Designing the perfect approach will be critical and buying some intel before starting the mission could be helpful. The game will be available on PC, and it's entirely made by using base Java.

    Here are some screenshots.

    https://i.redd.it/npbcho3ryw131.png

    https://i.redd.it/ophqmq3ryw131.png

    https://i.redd.it/xmsq554ryw131.png

    https://i.redd.it/okqbks3ryw131.png

    https://i.redd.it/bgrpnt3ryw131.png

    https://i.redd.it/jwal6s3ryw131.png

    EDIT: Reposted with my main account because reddit removed the original post.

    submitted by /u/Pinku-Hito
    [link] [comments]

    Renderer API Abstraction | Game Engine series | TheCherno

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 07:03 AM PDT

    HI THIS IS MY GAME IT A RACING GAME CALLED Uilmate Car Racing 3

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 10:34 AM PDT

    this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.BadPuppets.Ultimate.Car. this game is a racing game to make money for charity now the charity earn etho is to do stream on twitch where I have someone from the charity talking about it now the game is racing you have drift elimination checkpoint like that you can buy cars form money you earn in the game its called Ultimate Car Racing 3 on google play

    submitted by /u/cigey
    [link] [comments]

    How should I publish my game

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 05:39 PM PDT

    I'm using game maker studio 2

    I'm looking to monetize my game but I

    don't have a debit or credit card

    Would it be legal to publish my game because I'm 12

    I'm in Canada

    I'm looking to publish on websites like new grounds or miniclip

    submitted by /u/Saif_Amer
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment