• Breaking News

    Monday, June 3, 2019

    /u/vblanco has been working on a experimental fork of Godot that increases performance by around 50% and makes the engine no longer CPU bound.

    /u/vblanco has been working on a experimental fork of Godot that increases performance by around 50% and makes the engine no longer CPU bound.


    /u/vblanco has been working on a experimental fork of Godot that increases performance by around 50% and makes the engine no longer CPU bound.

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 06:48 AM PDT

    Flick stick is a new way to control 3D games with a controller. Here's a tutorial on how it works and how to implement it well, which you can try out in PC games using JoyShockMapper

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 08:12 PM PDT

    Fantastic breakdown of some visual effects in a modern AAA game

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 08:32 AM PDT

    Testing 3 kind of Melee Hits on 4 directions

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 03:23 AM PDT

    Dissecting the development of Dwarf Fortress with creator Tarn Adams

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 09:12 AM PDT

    What elements should be included in a reveal and release trailer? How do they differ?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 07:17 AM PDT

    What things should be included in a reveal and release trailer? Do I just add the same aspects or do they differ in some way?

    submitted by /u/Kool_Dude2727
    [link] [comments]

    What does it take create a game development company that is not doomed to fail from the early beginning?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 08:57 AM PDT

    Take your game multiplayer

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 10:55 AM PDT

    https://i.redd.it/qym68dfil6231.png

    Hi fellow game devs! This is my first post so please excuse me if I don't format everything correctly. So there are multiple ways to implement multiplayer into a game and most times it's best to implement it yourself to make sure everything is working the way it's supposed to. However, working with internet communication might not be something everybody is interested in (at least I wouldn't be if I were to create a game). So I started working on an application I call 'GameServer' three months ago. The server bridges between all clients that connect to it and does all the job with communicating between them, all the client has to do is connect and start communicating through the game server by sending changes in the game (for example keypresses). The repository is currently under development but has some pre-releases which hopefully are rather stable.

    I tried to do the application as universally compatible as possible. Some of the features the game server contain are:

    * Rcon - manage the server console from a third-party application

    * Configuration file to manage settings such as port number, logging paths, rcon, you name it.

    * Session logs to track the communication between all clients

    * Lobbies which enables for distribution of clients to different areas where they do not interrupt each other.

    * And of course the possibility to connect the server with a client

    The server is compatible with clients written in any language, running on any operating system as long as it has support for sockets. However, the server application itself currently only runs on windows.

    I've really tried my best to make the documentation as clear and concise as possible to make it easy to implement. You can find the repository on https://github.com/Hampfh/GameServer

    and the documentation on

    https://github.com/Hampfh/GameServer/wiki

    If there are any bugs (which there most likely will be) please report them in the issues panel and if this application seems completely useless or garbage please tell me why as well. I created it because I wanted to make it easier for developers to swiftly go multiplayer with their game, if there are a lot of other applications doing this already I'm sorry for taking up your time.

    submitted by /u/Hampfh
    [link] [comments]

    AdventureX Expo - Apply Here!

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 07:25 AM PDT

    Hi! If you're working on an adventure game of some description, then why not apply to show it off at AdventureX? Applications close at 23.59 BST on Sunday 9th June 2019 so don't wait around.

    AdventureX is the UK's only convention dedicated to narrative-driven gaming and has been running since 2011. This year's event will be held on 2nd & 3rd November 2019 at The British Library, London.

    http://adventurexpo.org/apply/

    Note: AdventureX is not-for-profit and entirely volunteer-run. We don't charge exhibitors to show off their games either.

    submitted by /u/FuzzyDunlop1812
    [link] [comments]

    Wholesome introduction

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 09:22 AM PDT

    I've been advised to increase my online presence by my close friends and colleagues, which is a bit of a weird hurdle for me. I'm a very social kind of guy, but I spend so much time focused on my creative projects that I never leave the house or think about my social media accounts, which stagnate. When I do go out, I tend to social butterfly, but I just don't very often except when I go to work my day job as a server, where I do pretty well BECAUSE of how social I am. But at this point I kind of just don't "get" the whole online scene. Anyway. I'm here now. Hi. Hello.

    I'm actually really excited to be here. See, being a game developer was my biggest dream as a kid but I had COMPLETELY forgotten about it. I actually got into this because of music and kind of rediscovered this passion that had kind of been squelched by the adults in my world not taking the career choice seriously, writing it off as "not a real job" pretty much. So I started making music for this developer in town a couple years ago, and we start chatting about other game concepts and generally the strategy of doing a lot with a little, and I think to myself ,"I've played with the unreal engine, and I've built countless maps in countless video games (I have a near obsessive passion with mapmaking and game mode editing)... I could probably whip something up..."

    And so that's what led me here. Cos when I actually started working on this thing I had my sights pretty low... And then I realized that I was selling myself short. The more I played around, the more I realized how much I was capable of actually getting to work and how much I actually understood. It's been an absolute thrill. I've rarely been so energized for such a long period of time, happily dumping 90% of my free time into this thing for months now. It wakes me up in the morning, and keeps me up at night. And it's like there's this part of me that had been beaten down that's coming back to life... I know that sounds dramatic but it really is an incredible feeling.

    submitted by /u/Cloel
    [link] [comments]

    Would a management game be a good first game to make?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 06:53 AM PDT

    So I've been playing around with game maker studio 2 and Python for a while now. I started a lot of projects but never really finished a game.

    I would like to start a more serious project now and was wondering if you think a management game would be a good first game to make? (By first I mean first project to really finish from A to Z).

    When I say management game I'm thinking of something rather simple like the Oregon trail.

    What are your thoughts? Is this kind of game easy enough for a first game? Or should I do something more like a shooter or a scrolling game?

    submitted by /u/Roavik
    [link] [comments]

    When do you determine that your game is ready for Early Access?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 10:43 AM PDT

    Hello all!

    I'm a hobbyist dev working on my first game and I feel it would eventually be a great candidate for Early Access. In its current stage, my game isn't ready for even an alpha testing release yet, but it's getting there. I plan to release an alpha version of my game to my small following for testing purposes, then release to Steam Early Access once I've polished the existing mechanics a bit. The goal is to hopefully attract a wider audience by doing this so that I can get even more feedback and improve upon the game.

    I'm wondering how do other developers determine when their game is ready for an Early Access release? Is polishing the game too much prior to Early Access detrimental? Should I market an Early Access release as if I were marketing a full release? Any advice for me would be very helpful, thanks!

    submitted by /u/OwleyDev
    [link] [comments]

    2d Nebula generator - ModLab

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 10:32 AM PDT

    Hello, I've released new version ModLab which includes Nebula generator, which can produces result as such:

    Example

    ModLab is completely free. Apart from being nebula generator, it is also capable of generating and processing normal maps with full GPU acceleration, but there was already post about that in the past.

    ModLab is available on steam right now. I am not going to post the link as from experience that doesn't go well, but if you are interested I am pretty sure it should be few seconds of using search function.

    Nebula generator comes with five assets, normal maps with alpha channels rendered from smoke simulation. You can make and load your own.

    ModLab is being constantly developed by single person as free time project. If you would like support the project you can visit Patron through link within the application. Patrons can vote for new features.

    You are 100% allowed to use whatever you make in ModLab in commercial or noncommercial products.

    submitted by /u/Ravendarke
    [link] [comments]

    How would you approach writing for a narrative heavy game?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 10:09 AM PDT

    Assuming you wanted to have a text heavy game, how would you plot out the story, the dialogue, the choices etc. without it becoming a big giant mess?

    submitted by /u/0rionis
    [link] [comments]

    Computer hardware for AAA development?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 10:01 AM PDT

    Im curious to see what anyone knows about what type of hardware AAA game studios use to develop their games.

    Focusing more of the art side of things (modeling, sculpting, texturing, etc)

    What type of graphic cards are used? Does Intel or AMD builds matter? How much RAM is typically used? What type of monitors are used Etc.

    Thanks🙌

    submitted by /u/natrocircus
    [link] [comments]

    Build Free Armorpaint with Visual Studio

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 09:24 AM PDT

    The first week of the Ludum Historica was a success!

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 09:28 PM PDT

    Hello, fellow devs! I'm Iñaki. Last Sunday I made a post about a self-imposed gamedev challenge I was going to do. One week and one finished game later, I can say this challenge will be a damn blast to do!

    For some context, the Ludum Historica is a challenge I came up with where, once a week, I pick one of the past Ludum Dare Jam themes at random, and make a Unity game based on said theme, following the same time constraint of 72 hours. There are some rules to this, however.

    • The entire dev process is streamed (on my Twitch), all the assets are open source (on my GitHub), all the software used is free/open source, and all the games are free to play and open to donations (on my Itch.io). This is to ensure that there are no paywalls to use my execution of this challenge as a learning tool, and that every step is able to be replicated without needing to resort to piracy to follow it.
    • Given only three days to complete the game (Monday through Wednesday), I am left with two days in the week. Thursday is where I perform a retrospective analysis on what went wrong/right about the development process, what can be polished/avoided/etc. next time, and what is missing from the game to be in a complete-by-my-standards level. The documentation of this analysis can be found in the links below my Twitch stream . When that's done, I use what remains of Thursday and all of Friday to make a second, more polished version of the game, where I add some final touches. Both the 3 and 5 day versions are be available on my Itch.io, for comparison's sake.
    • One more interesting rule that I added to this whole thing is what I call the snowball rule, where, although I entered the fray the first week with no pre-made assets, I'm able to recycle assets from previous games of the challenge, but only in their 3 day state, not their polished state. This means that, while the first games may be unpolished or raw, by the eight or ninth game I might be able to jumpstart the development a bit by recycling some libraries or art from previous games!

    Last week's challenge came in the form of the randomly selected Ludum Dare Jam 43, labeled with the theme "Sacrifices Must Be Made". Based on that, I made a game called Sacrifice LLC in three days, uploaded it, documented the strengths and weaknesses of both the game and my development process, uploaded a second, polished version, and managed to learn a BUNCH through it all. It was the most fun five days I've spent in development and I can't wait for more of it! I had some people drop by in the stream chat for some conversation about development and to give some hints on where I was f*cking up at the moment. This also helps bolster my portfolio, trains me for jams, and gives me a good solid amount of practice on development at the indie level, so I can't get enough of it!

    The stream starts every weekday at (all times GMT-3, Buenos Aires) 9:00AM , with a one hour lunch break from 12:30 to 13:30, and then I just keep going until my brain is mush. If you want to come over by the chat and drop some wisdom, get a glimpse into the development process of another dev, get some free (albeit hastily made) assets and games, watch me suffer for my own choices, or simply strike some nice conversation, in less than 8 hours from now I'll be picking the next topic for this week's LH and start a new 72 hour marathon to make yet another jam-size game!

    Thank you for your time! For reference, some quick links:

    • My Twitch, for the stream (you will also find all the helpful links to social media and the like below the stream).
    • My Itch.io, for the games.
    • My GitHub, for the sauce.
    • A Google doc containing direct links to the source, builds and analysis of each game.
    submitted by /u/Naiduren
    [link] [comments]

    Unity Tutorial

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 08:40 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I am just starting with game development and I wanted to watch some tutorials off unity but i couldn't find any. Maybe one of you has an idea where to find some or just help me or something

    Thx.

    submitted by /u/JonathanHG04
    [link] [comments]

    The horror game experience that spent a few months

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 08:39 AM PDT

    Table of Contents

     Foreword

     Introduction to the game

     Brief description of the production process

     Upload Steam and Achievements

     Conclusion & Other

    Foreword:

    Hello, everyone, I am from Taiwan, I am very happy to be able to post here. Although my English grammar is not very good, I still hope to make friends with foreign friends. Today I will share this horror game engine with Unity development, because it is the first time took a lot of time to made the game. In the process, I have to thank many of online friends for helping me. Although it is just a small work + non-professional experience, if you have a seminar or want to made games like me, For the dream of the shelves, welcome refer to the text (to sort out the URLs referenced in many production processes)

    https://i.redd.it/rih14oorv5231.png

    Introduction to the game:

    Game name: The Counterattack OF Sacrifice

    Game platform: PC

    Game language:English / Chinese

    Game type: Adventure / Horror game / Independent production

    Game description: Explore the game world through the use of the first person perspective. The scene combines Western and Oriental elements. The content is biased towards horror, darkness and ambiguity. The main line contains 13 scenes and three easter egg.

    Story introduction: The game's narrative protagonists parents want to visit relatives who live far away. Later, for unknown reasons, there is suddenly missing, and the protagonist who is determined to go alone in order to find the truth can successfully find his parents! ?

    Steam page:

    https://store.steampowered.com/app/979580/_The_Counterattack_Of_Sacrifice/?beta=0

    PV:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDf_ZNSsPJo

    If you want to see more content about tutorial welcome to :

    https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/bjc96s/the_horror_game_experience_that_spent_a_few/

    submitted by /u/alex94i60
    [link] [comments]

    Construct 3 Easy Menu and Layout Preloader

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 08:39 AM PDT

    Hi together,

    This post is for Construct 3 beginners and advanced developers! You ever wanted to know how to make a simple Menu, with automatic save and load your unlocked Levels? Or preload Layouts? Maybe sweet Button and Layout animations? Then you are right here! Check this out!

    What do you get?

    • Extremely easy understandable Template
    • Load your unlocked Levels automatically through LocalStorage
    • Unlock and save your unlocked Levels automatically, when entering new level
    • You are able to reset your Game with one click
    • Game Ready! You can use it for your games without restrictions
    • Loading and Saving works on every platform (Android, IOS, Windows and so on)
    • No performance impact
    • No plugins needed
    • Free future Updates

    Bonus

    • Sweet Button and Layout Animations
    • Fade Effect when switching between Layouts
    • Layout preloader for lag-free Layout Switching (Adding images into RAM)

    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6pC7FXAoX8

    You can buy it here: https://www.scirra.com/store/royalty-free-game-templates/easy-menu-and-layout-preloader-4933

    Thanks ❤️

    submitted by /u/xh3moo
    [link] [comments]

    Update Post: Off the Grid Games

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 09:18 PM PDT

    Hello! Been a few months since my last post about this project.

    TLDR/TLDW highlights: Total rewrite to enhance speed and ease of use for developers. Tied tile to actual tileset, with smart context to what's next to each tile.


    Full update:

    The generator has been completely rewritten to structure the data in a much easier-to-access way, for ease of future development. The way I was storing and modifying the data before required TONS of converting data from one type to another, including splitting strings, putting them back together, etc. I'm now using TMaps, FVectors and custom structs (Unreal Engine) so the data is about a thousand times easier to work with.

    Here is the first image from the redesign. In addition to the redesign of the codebase, I also tied the values to a tileset, and made the system determine which tile gets placed is determined by the walls around it. So there are 16 different wall tiles, and it places the relevant tile next to each other to make it look fantastic.

    This is just a prototype so the art isn't perfect, but I added some floor border tiles to break up the large open pieces of floor. It's not perfect, but it's getting easier and easier to visualize what the game might end up looking like.

    Here is the larger, more open tileset for comparison. I also added some "floor flavor" of debris to further break up the big open spaces of empty floor

    HERE is the most important feature: The video showcasing how the levels can change at runtime. For example, we can set explosions to deform walls, we can maybe have a "scroll of find store", where I can carve out a chunk of walls to make room for a shop to be placed, if a boss can't spawn I can expand an area to fit the fatty boss, etc

    submitted by /u/Mostfunguy
    [link] [comments]

    I want to make educational games for my students, but I don't know much coding.

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 08:18 AM PDT

    Yeah, I could learn, but it takes time and I don't even know where to begin.

    I just need simple games, memory matching, maze, side scrolling plataform, something like tetris...

    I've heard about GDvelop 5 - But I found it weird. I'm used to work with Trigger/ Effect - Input/Output.

    The kind souls here would have any help?

    submitted by /u/DoctorTempus
    [link] [comments]

    Study ICT and in my free time game developing good?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 08:08 AM PDT

    Sorry if I'm in the wrong sub but I'm really doubting my future. I'm currently doing medicine in university but I kind of feel that it's nothing for me and want to switch to ICT. I LOVE video games and I would love to work for a company such as CDPR or Bethesda. I know the possibilities are rare to none but I'm wondering if I could get far by studying ICT and in my free time play around with game development until I get good at?

    submitted by /u/FirstBornPharaohSon
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment