• Breaking News

    Monday, June 10, 2019

    Thought it might help

    Thought it might help


    Thought it might help

    Posted: 09 Jun 2019 10:38 PM PDT

    Are browser based RPG games still a thing?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 07:19 AM PDT

    I've been working on creating a browser-based RPG game focused on different Canidae breeds (wolves, coyotes, foxes, etc.) where you can breed for certain genes, colors, stats and essentially role play with it. You will be able to build your pack up, complete quest chains, explore territories, battle with NPC's and possibly other players, compete in dungeons, and maybe more. It will be kind of like Flight Rising or Howrse but with a lot more role playing. Anyone know if there is still a demand for this type of game?

    Example to preview art style

    submitted by /u/Alaunnis
    [link] [comments]

    What do you think this character will do in the game?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2019 12:48 PM PDT

    I am doing free Voice Acting work

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 11:29 AM PDT

    I Have a bit of free time in between projects. So i am willing to do so free voice acting based on size of project for the experience and overall love of the job. I am a male voice actor and can shift my voice to fit many rolls. So if you need any information or want to see if i can fit one of your characters just send me a picture of them, some dialog, or just any small bit of reference material and ill happily get to work.

    submitted by /u/toastersmasher
    [link] [comments]

    VR Environment Starter

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 10:26 AM PDT

    Hi! I'm looking to create a VR environment demo for work. I basically have to create a bathroom and have a tutorial to build the parts of it (Sink, bath, etc.). I have to get it done in about 8 weeks and I'm trying to decide on an engine. I have some knowledge in C++ and I heard Unreal is better for that, however I have also heard Unity is easier to pick up. Do you guys have any recommendations on which would be better for me to use based on what I plan to do and my knowledge? Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/Aeyori
    [link] [comments]

    Useful tutorial on making a 2D Camera Follow script using Lerp and SmoothDamp

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 07:05 AM PDT

    I made a game about a dangerous dog walk for the Extra Credits game jam!

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 11:38 AM PDT

    2D Framework

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 11:20 AM PDT

    Hi guys, I'm looking to work on a project. It'll be a JS/web multiplayer adventure game with looks similar to Pokémon games, with sprites from a top view?

    What would be the best framework to use?

    submitted by /u/yung-polo
    [link] [comments]

    A prototype of a training area for tutorial ���� https://store.steampowered.com/app/920640/Emitters/

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 11:14 AM PDT

    How to code an attack powerup system?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 11:12 AM PDT

    In my rpg, the player has access to various rechargeable artifacts that he can use to power up attacks. For example, one artifact will make the attack aoe, another might make it heal X percent of damage, or double damage for half as much accuracy. It's a core part of combat. The question is how to implement it in a way that'd be flexible and easily extensible. Not all attacks are affected the same way by an artifact and some attacks might not work with a particular artifact. What's the best way to implement a system like this(code wise)?

    If it matters, I'm using unity. My first thought was to make a base attack class for some common functionality, fill out the details in the derived classes and implement interfaces for the powerups that each attack would support. But this'd mean I'd have to cast to interfaces to check power up compatibility and I'm not sure if that's a good thing to do. I haven't had to use casting so far so I don't know if that's a good idea.

    submitted by /u/Reihado
    [link] [comments]

    Game Development Book/Refrence For RPGs

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 12:33 AM PDT

    Is there a book on game development for specifically rpgs? If there isn't then any books you folks recommend would be nice and helpful still.

    submitted by /u/TOAST3DGAM3R
    [link] [comments]

    First time creating shaders using Shader Graph in our upcoming game and it was easier than I thougth!

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 06:22 AM PDT

    What engine/software could provide me with ready-to-use assets and animations for 2D Action/Platformer.

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 09:45 AM PDT

    Since its pretty clear, I am a novice, we can just dive into the problem.

    I can code, and the language doesn't really matter as long as it comes with some documentation.

    But since, the best thing I ever drew was a stickman, it would be helpful if someone could direct me toward a Drag and Drop kind of World-builder. The goal is to flesh the idea out and generate a proof of concept that confirm that the game in my head can be fun.

    Eventually I might force myself to learn how to draw or just hire an artist, but for now anything that let me rush to the gameplay part of the game would be great suggestion.

    submitted by /u/yashknight
    [link] [comments]

    Hi! Just wanted to share a little post I wrote about the basics of Marketing an Indie game! Hope you find it useful! :)

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 09:18 AM PDT

    Creating a DnD-style battle system in Python.

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 09:15 AM PDT

    Hey everyone, I'm new here. I just started learning Python and, as I learn more effectively by putting things into practice, I started working on my first game with the knowledge I've learned so far. It's a text-based rpg. If you want to see the code you can find it here. Right now it's simply random enemies that increase in difficulty every level, but I'd like to change things up a bit and create a full DnD-style system. Sort of like this:

    • Player encounters enemy
    • Player attack/hp and enemy hp are listed
    • Choose attack, heal, or run.
    • if attack is chosen, initiative is rolled to see if the attack succeeds
    • then enemy attacks
    • rinse and repeat until the battle is over.

    Just curious if anyone has any experience doing something like this with Python. I really just want to get comfortable with game mechanics before I start messing with graphics and all that, so for the time beings I just run it in IDLE. I'm learning Python 3. Thanks everyone!

    submitted by /u/dadishere
    [link] [comments]

    Took a stab at VR melee physics

    Posted: 09 Jun 2019 02:36 PM PDT

    What does a game design degree?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 08:04 AM PDT

    Has anyone here been through a game design degree or taken game design in college? Wondering what useful skills you obtain during a game design program if any. The courses I am seeing online are generally vague. They appear to be mostly leadership based without any programming or art work involved.

    submitted by /u/ScriptKid2
    [link] [comments]

    Portfolio or IT degree?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 07:58 AM PDT

    How many of you are working in IT/Gamedev without IT degree and how are you doing?

    submitted by /u/yoathel
    [link] [comments]

    I need some help, I want to create a body for the player view so when they look down they can see their body. But should I exclude the torso from it? and only focus on the pants and feet?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 07:48 AM PDT

    I want full immersion for the player, and I think that little detail would be a warm welcome. So how should I tackle this?

    submitted by /u/Pandachoko
    [link] [comments]

    Marketing Monday #298 - Important Features

    Posted: 09 Jun 2019 08:20 PM PDT

    What is Marketing Monday?

    Post your marketing material like websites, email pitches, trailers, presskits, promotional images etc., and get feedback from and give feedback to other devs.

    RULES

    • Do NOT try to promote your game to game devs here, we are not your audience. This is only for feedback and improvement.

    • Clearly state what you want feedback on otherwise your post may be removed. (Do not just dump Kickstarter or trailer links)

    • If you post something, try to leave some feedback on somebody else's post. It's good manners.

    • If you do post some feedback, try to make sure it's good feedback: make sure it has the what ("The logo sucks...") and the why ("...because it's hard to read on most backgrounds").

    • A very wide spectrum of items can be posted here, but try to limit yourself to one or two important items in your post to prevent it from being cluttered up.

    • Promote good feedback, and upvote those who do! Also, don't forget to thank the people who took some of their time to write some feedback for you, even if you don't agree with it.

    Note: Using url shorteners is discouraged as it may get you caught by Reddit's spam filter.


    All Previous Marketing Mondays

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    Get ready for wondrous adventures in Genshin Impact! Beta Testers Recruiting!

    Posted: 09 Jun 2019 08:01 PM PDT

    Procedurally Generated Maps won't render in libGDX

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 07:09 AM PDT

    Hello I'm trying to make procedurally generated maps using libGDX my tiled map won't render just displays an empty screen with all of my sprites on it. . But if I load a tiled map I made in the Tiled program it renders fine. The texture region exists and is gotten from a texture atlas.

    Below is how make my tiled map in game. I have multiple layers one for each terrain kind that are drawn one on top of each other and then bit masked.

    private void fillInTiles(){ // fills in all of the tiled map tiles to empty base tiles TiledMapTileLayer layer= new TiledMapTileLayer(xSize, ySize, 32, 32); layer.setName("layer"+mapLayers.size()); for(int countx=0; countx<xSize; countx++) { for (int county = 0; county < ySize; county++) { Cell cell = new Cell(); TextureRegion region=assetts.getRegionByName("dirt.0.255.0", "assetts.atlas"); cell.setTile( new StaticTiledMapTile(region)); layer.setCell(countx, county, cell); } } tiledMap.getLayers().add(layer); } 
    submitted by /u/fingerpickinggreat
    [link] [comments]

    Hey guys, I'm new to game Dev. And I need some help with starting.

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 07:03 AM PDT

    I want to create a Football Manager type game. Not for football, for another sport. But not nearly as complex. I am an absolute novice. Although I have experience with coding. What language should I use to build such a game. Or should I use something like Unity? Help is appreciated. Sorry if I sound stupid

    submitted by /u/UncleBenZene
    [link] [comments]

    How often do game still do well with bad/lackluster graphics?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 02:11 AM PDT

    So I've been working on a game for about 7-8 months. So far, the game is moving along and I've got good systems in place. But there's one problem with it that's existed for a very long time, and probably will exist until something miraculous happens.

    My game's graphics are U-G-L-Y as sin.

    I've largely been developing this solo, and I have minimal artistic talent. So naturally the visuals of my game are the bare minimum of what could be considered acceptable. And since I'm having trouble securing visual artists to help spruce things up, I'm faced with the prospect of releasing this game with god-awful graphics. And it freaks me out, because I worry that people will take one look at screenshots and be like "this is garbage" and not play.

    Maybe I'm worrying too much, but still, I'd like to know: can games with bad graphics succeed with regularity?

    For reference, here are some screenies. Try not to puke:

    Ow

    OW

    OH GOD WHY

    PLS END MY SUFFERING

    submitted by /u/VenomousWoe
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment