• Breaking News

    Saturday, June 1, 2019

    This is what I do in my free time. Making my worst nightmare. web developers

    This is what I do in my free time. Making my worst nightmare. web developers


    This is what I do in my free time. Making my worst nightmare.

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 01:32 AM PDT

    Created a weather app with Open Weather API. Let me know what y'all think!

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 03:57 PM PDT

    "How DigitalOcean just killed our company. A long thread for a very sad story."

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 11:14 AM PDT

    found a website that exposes ALL customer data - what to do?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 01:54 PM PDT

    My girlfriend was trying to order something on a website but the website kept crashing and she wanted me to look at it. I saw an api kept timing out and decided to open it up to see what would happen. Next thing i know im presented with a django interface and about 51k customer orders that expose everything a customer has given them not just order info but address, email, phone, etc.

    I want to write them but ive heard stories of the company claiming you 'hacked' them and try to bring head aches in your direction for their fuck up. Ultimately, I'm disgusted at the data exposure and the fact that my girlfriend has used their service before so her data is in there somewhere as well.

    submitted by /u/adversedeviant
    [link] [comments]

    Opinion: "Appear as user scrolls" behavior is overused, bad UX

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 03:34 PM PDT

    There's a common effect of all content on a webpage appearing and animating in as a user scrolls. This pattern has become very popular. Here is my case against it:

    1. No semantic meaning in overuse: Animation should generally be used to communicate something to the user. If you use this effect on every piece of content on your site you are communicating nothing.
    2. Can break UX: Scrolling too quickly can break this effect. I often have to do a double take of "wait is this just a blank section? oh, okay it's just some content appearing". Similarly, this content can pop in too early when I'm still focused on the content above. In that case it's just distracting me from my current focus for no good reason.
    3. It's not impressive: I can easily forgive the above two issues if the effect is, for lack of better terms, really unique and cool. Because this effect has become common place, it has lost this as a potential saving grace.

    So, when should this be used?

    Similar to any animations or special design treatment, it can be used nicely with purpose. There might be some content you want to bring attention to, or maybe there's something that shouldn't be seen alongside the existing content right away.

    That's all. If you want to create something cool and unique, make a unique animation idea - there's a ton of potential with our tools and copying others without meaningful application or changes doesn't really help push the web forward.

    Now that I've rambled for a while, what are your thoughts?

    submitted by /u/frankandsteinatlaw
    [link] [comments]

    Sol Journal: A simple, open-source personal journaling platform

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 03:51 PM PDT

    Community movie reviews with a Node.js API - FilmeRate

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 05:38 PM PDT

    Are there such things as "easy" web dev roles?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 08:12 PM PDT

    I've been a dev for 10 years now, and, to be frank, I am really burning out.

    On the advice of my GP and a psychologist I need to take a step away from my role (as an intermediate dev in a corporate environment) and reduce my stress.

    I love front end, particularly turning designs into code. Do jobs that just allow you to build templates on a CMS still exist anymore?

    What would your idea of an 'easy' web dev role be? And do you think they still exist?

    submitted by /u/MeltingDog
    [link] [comments]

    Explain like i'm 5: Getting a job in Web Development

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 07:34 PM PDT

    So, i've been teaching myself HTML and CSS on the side for a couple of months now; I've still got a long way to go before I even begin looking for a job (Javascript, JQuery, PHP, the list goes on...), but there seems to be alot of uncertainty regarding how to actually land a job, and I have a few questions:

    How do you know you've reached the point where you are confident enough in your skills to "go out into the real world" and start applying for jobs? Should you start freelancing first? How does the normal interviewing process work (submitting a portfolio, going in for an interview)? Should you start an internship before applying for a job?

    I've heard "Make stuff, contribute to projects, start a blog" countless times, and no doubt that's valuable information; Seeing as I've got a few years before I need to be able to support myself in this career, I'll have plenty of time to do those things; What can I do in the meantime, while I'm still learning, to make the whole finding-a-job-process easier? I've also heard that specializing in one area is better than trying to be a "Jack-of-all-trades", what if there are no agencies in my area that need my specific skill-set? All replies are appreciated

    submitted by /u/GerndelfTheGutless
    [link] [comments]

    Let's create a coding project together

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 10:05 PM PDT

    Hi all, I'm currently working hard to get a Front End Developer job and thought a nice collaborative project would help. Anyone wanna work on something together?

    I wash thinking of a diet app that takes into account the food available in your neighborhood / fridge, or a to-do list that automatically schedules tasks based on the weather, location, and your schedule.

    Or you guys can come up with your own ideas.

    Let's do this!

    submitted by /u/diazabdulm
    [link] [comments]

    How to make it look good? Any advice?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 08:22 PM PDT

    How to make it look good? Any advice?

    How do I make it look less awkward? This is the first ever website I'm making and I'm still learning CSS. Can anyone tell me how do I make the background picture look lighter, or what color font should I use to make the text look consistent with the picture.

    https://i.redd.it/3cdwy3zb3v131.png

    submitted by /u/bassamkhan35
    [link] [comments]

    What are good rates for new freelancers?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 05:35 PM PDT

    I started freelancing about two months ago, and i was advised that i had my rates to low. I have 2 completed projects under my belt, and have 5 in process. I charge an average of $100 for just html/css/javascript. $200 for jquery, and $500 for php/e-commerce.

    Are these good rates, or should i be charging more?

    submitted by /u/mitch1618
    [link] [comments]

    Open source alternative to Uber and Lyft

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 03:40 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I am working on an opensource rideshare marketplace platform. I am looking to see if there are developers interested in working on the project!

    submitted by /u/MomentumTrading
    [link] [comments]

    How do I choose the right Frameworks for my projects?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 05:10 PM PDT

    Hello everyone, I have a project on my mind that I would like to realize. Something similar to Craigslist/Ebay. The first issue is, which Backend should I use? PHP or NodeJS? Next question, which frontend framework? React, Vue? SQL, MongoDB?

    I was also looking for a CMS that could work but couldn't find anything.

    submitted by /u/distro607
    [link] [comments]

    I’ve been confused for a while: Servers

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 03:24 PM PDT

    So for a while I thought of a server as a physical machine but after reading about Virtualization now I'm starting to think what makes a server a server? I know that there could be different types of servers like Windows and Linux but how is that any different from running Linux on my desktop? Is it the same software but that way its being used determines if its a server or not?

    submitted by /u/UntouchedDruid4
    [link] [comments]

    Dev Portfolios in 2019

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 04:39 PM PDT

    I've been a "professional developer" (still getting used to that term) since January of this year. I work at a fast-paced agency and I, for the most part, love every project that comes our way. I have a lot of autonomy and decision-making for how junior I am, and my fellow senior devs are often on board with opting for new/progressive technologies when it comes to the projects we take on. All that is to say that I love my job and my team and don't plan on leaving any time soon, but I can't help but feel an underlying guilt when I see these awesome portfolio sites, listed both on this sub and others (particularly /r/reactjs) considering that all that I have to point to is my GitHub.

    I love contributing to open source, and do so as much as I can both via my own personal toy projects and through contributing to others', but I've yet to consolidate all of my work into a tidy url that can be presented to a potential future employer. I'm aware of awesome tools/projects like Gatsby.js/Next.js that make hosting sites like I describe incredibly easy and fast, but a part of me questions the value of pursuing such an endeavor (discounting the fact that learning either of these technologies would be valuable to my skillset) when I'm so happy and content with the work my company provides.

    Is this a common feeling in the community? How many of you have portfolios that can be viewed via a url, and of those that do, how many of you regularly maintain them and have built them with modern tools like Gatsby.js or Next.js (as opposed to older technologies)?

    submitted by /u/trblackwell1221
    [link] [comments]

    [Help] Tips for Commissions

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 04:35 PM PDT

    Hello, I'm an amateur web developer and I've had my handful of projects for personal use but I finally accepted a commission offer for a portfolio/resume website and I'm set to start in a couple days. I have a good idea as to how to approach the commission but I was wondering if anyone could answer any of my questions or give me any tips.

    • Is there a recommended hosting service that is particularly easy for clients to use once I hand off the finished product to them? Preferably allow someone with no linux shell knowledge to make small edits to their website to add or remove information.
    • How much should I charge for a single page static website?
    • If I think I can finish the product in X days, how many days past that should I say it will take me to finish?

    I would also appreciate any tips from anyone that has experience with clients and commissions.

    submitted by /u/plebkia
    [link] [comments]

    WordPress agencies that develop custom themes for politicians?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 09:39 PM PDT

    JQuery Sortable Multi-list Save to DB with PHP

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 03:24 PM PDT

    Currently, I have 3 lists. Each list is a <div id="list#"> arranged in a column-like fashion. I am able to sort items within each list and get it to save the position to my database in an order column in the table. However, when I move an item from one list to another, I am unable to figure out how to save which list the item has been placed in. The table contains a column (listId) which specifies the list each item in the database belongs to. So I need to find a way to get the items listId column to update to the div it gets placed in.

    I have read the JQuery documentation, watched videos on Sortable, as well as attempted to google the problem.

    My sort.js file is as follows:

    $(function() { $('.sortable').sortable({ connectWith: ".connected", update: function(event, ui) { $(this).children().each(function (index) { if ($(this).attr('data-position') != (index+1)) { $(this).attr('data-position', (index+1).addClass('updated'); } }); saveNewPositions(); } }); $('.sortable').disableSelection(); }); function saveNewPositions() { var order = []; $('.updated').each(function () { order.push([$(this).attr('data-index'), $(this).attr('data-position')]); $(this).removeClass('updated'); }); $.ajax({ url: current_page, method: 'POST', dataType: 'text', data: { update: 1, order: order }, success: function(response) { console.log(response); } }); } 
    submitted by /u/FancyPants2point0h
    [link] [comments]

    Open source alternative to Shoebox and Google Photos

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 08:30 AM PDT

    Easiest CRUD Framework

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 03:02 PM PDT

    I wanted to get your opinions on easiest CRUD application framework in 2019. My company is in the process on converting a bunch of legacy apps from PL/SQL to a new platform.

    I have looked at a few frameworks and I believe .NET Core Entity Framework using code first seems like the easiest. Building the model then scaffolding the controller and views is a huge time saver.

    Is there anything better that I am overlooking?

    submitted by /u/magnum1eye
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] PhotoStack, a batch photo editor with watermarking support

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 08:50 PM PDT

    Fist - An in Memory Full-Text Search and Indexing Server Written in C

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 07:56 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment