• Breaking News

    Friday, June 14, 2019

    Optimising Google Fonts requests (shave off up to 90% by declaring only the characters you need) ⚡️ web developers

    Optimising Google Fonts requests (shave off up to 90% by declaring only the characters you need) ⚡️ web developers


    Optimising Google Fonts requests (shave off up to 90% by declaring only the characters you need) ⚡️

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 03:58 AM PDT

    Dealing w/ Toxic Coworker

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 01:39 PM PDT

    I've been working as a developer at my current company for about 6 months, and I'm having trouble with another co-worker and it's getting to the point that I'm thinking of bringing it up to our leadership (SVP and CTO).

    We're a pretty large organization (>3k employees) and the person I'm dealing with is supposed to be our "release engineer". We're just getting off the ground and attempting to get our new system live so there is a lot of new processes and work going on all the time. Unfortunately this means I'm wearing a ton of new hats and trying to jump around learn new things in order to help our team get across the finish line and meet our deadline.

    Whenever I'm discussing my work in the office w/ my boss (particularly when I'm showing him some cool new enhancements to our product I've been working on), the above-mentioned co-worker will appear out of nowhere to "jokingly" talk about how my code is terrible and that she'll have to "drag me along" in order to get my work out to production. She is constantly belittling me in front of our leadership team, but always doing it as a "joke." Also, whenever we are in meetings alone she constantly calls everyone else (including our mutual boss) idiots who don't know near as much as she does and I just know she is also saying these things about me when I'm not around. Thankfully I'm totally crushing it and was even just promoted, but this stuff on a daily basis is really starting to make me angry (I'm a very calm and passive person by nature).

    Basically, have any of you dealt with this before in a dev shop? I don't want to deal with her directly as I've personally seen her go to the President of our company (and HR) to complain about "sub-par code" when people have called her out. Also, would like to mention that this great engineer has not written a single line of code for our product and only manages git deployments.

    TLDR: "Genius" co-worker is constantly joking about me being an idiot to my boss and it's making me angry.

    submitted by /u/OlduvaiMan
    [link] [comments]

    FontKey - Stop reusing Roboto and spice things up (see info in comments)

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 11:33 AM PDT

    What would you do? Hacked Site!!

    Posted: 13 Jun 2019 07:22 PM PDT

    About a year-and-a-half ago I made a proposal to a potential client to re-design and develop his new website. There was a huge opportunity because it was a very well-established company and I knew that I could enhance his online presence. His old website was awful looking and it was not Mobile friendly. Finally I scoped the project, made my proposal and it came in around $8,000.

    The client came back me and said "You agency guys are all the same. Why do you think my website will cost that much money?"

    I proceeded by explaining that there was a lot of work to be done, if it was done properly and I also asked him how he plan to proceed. He told me that he was going to go the junior that was going to come in and around two and a half thousand dollars. I wish them good luck and that was it.

    Fast-forward to this week, I see the client showcasing his new website on linkedIn. It looks good, well done!

    I proceeded to run a few reports with my software and it seems as though his website was fully hacked and auto creating URL links like Vin Diesel p*** extensions and all kinds of nasty, spammy links. I then proceeded to double-check in Google and they are all indexed in Google.

    So...what would you do?

    Call the client to let him know?

    Email the client to let him know?

    Do nothing?

    submitted by /u/bsacksglobal
    [link] [comments]

    REST app development questions

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 02:45 PM PDT

    Hi everyone! I hope this is the right area to ask this question.

    Context: I'm writing an application that accepts a GET request with a simple payload, uses that payload in conjunction with some logic, sends a GET request to another 3rd party service based on the original payload, and then returns the results of the third to the user.

    You can assume the following:

    1. User agent will be either mobile app or web page
    2. there are more than 1 3rd party service in play, which is selected by the logic
      1. 3rd party services use either OAuth2 or JWT for authentication
    3. my application doing the logic is written in python
    4. at this point in time, I'm planning on running this in AWS lambda or GCP Cloud Functions or what ever Azure's version is
    5. no date is being saved "off device"

    Questions I have

    • How on earth do I manage the API keys? Each service provides me dev IDs, secret keys, and processes on how to develop those into an access key that I pass with my requests. Do I need to do the whole credential flow every single time a user make a request to my application? Or do I cache the access key somehow? These access keys don't last more than a few hours so im having trouble figuring out how to manage those.
    • I would also appreciate any pointers on things that im doing super wrong.
    submitted by /u/eddy-safety-scissors
    [link] [comments]

    Discord + Contact Forms

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 02:07 PM PDT

    I made a free service called dForms where you connect your discord webhook (the long string of numbers is the id, and the random alphanumeric string is the secret, separated by / in the webhook url) and then you can make a html form like this:

    <form action="https://whserver.dforms.point0.tech/587701709909000192" method="POST"> Name: <input name="name" /> <br /> Message: <br /><textarea name="message"></textarea> <br /> <button>Send</button> </form> 

    and configure the webhook in the UI: https://imgur.com/dAnn4za

    Then you'll get a discord embed like this: https://imgur.com/KmzgH3m

    I've tried to make it really simple to set up, and it means you don't need a complicated twilio or sendgrid setup to make a simple contact form.

    submitted by /u/63-bit
    [link] [comments]

    Authentication for a private-use API

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 11:24 AM PDT

    I'm creating a web app that only I will be using. What's the best way to go about authenticating the requests so that randoms can't trigger my API?

    submitted by /u/84935
    [link] [comments]

    American guy - hacker in his teens (1980's) looking at web dev/admin as a next chapter. Still worth it or most jobs now outsourced?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 08:55 AM PDT

    Better info: I was a C64 cracker, phone phreak, and mid-level hacker (Vax, primes etc) from 86-90 then dropped out of the scene till 2003 or so and now I'm just a advanced Win power user, limited Linux, and good Mac knowledge. Languages of today look like they'd be a snap compared to days of olden.

    submitted by /u/ThrowAwayTheDewRedux
    [link] [comments]

    Games and Graphics in Popup URL bars

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 12:38 PM PDT

    Web developer subcontractor role

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 03:46 PM PDT

    Hey everyone!

    So currently, I am doing Wordpress development for a company on a subcontracting basis.

    On the majority of the projects, I work directly with the clients, and complete the project from start to finish. The company has very little involvement in the projects, and basically lets me handle them my way, and the clients are generally very happy. The company I work for typically pays me 50% of whatever the client pays.

    My question is, should the company that is hiring me to do this work be playing a larger role in these projects? On the majority of the projects, I am doing 100% of the work, taking calls for the client, planning and completing the projects, etc.

    I guess really what my question boils down to is this:

    What role does the contractor typically play in a project that is subbed out?

    What % of the income from the project is typically paid out to the subcontractor?

    I'm fairly new to the world of web development subcontracting, so I guess i'm not really sure if this is a good arrangement for me or not.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/sadwinkey
    [link] [comments]

    Identifying Users and Their Authorization Among Microservices

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 03:22 PM PDT

    I'm really confused on how users are handled among microservices. Let me lay out an example situation.

    Let's say I have a frontend service that has several widgets on a page. Each widget pulls data from a separate backend microservice. Let's say that for each of these widgets, a user can apply a custom, saveable filter for the display of their content.

    I would assume that each of these microservices would maintain a database that would store that filter information for each user. How do these services associate a user with a request/API call? I would assume each service would store, in its database, some sort of UserID along with the filter, but that UserID needs to be synchronized among all services in the backend, right? Or at least, all services that care about users.

    I understand that JWT tokens can be used to solve some of this, that you can customize what's in the JWT payload, so you could store a unique ID there. But wouldn't these tokens be copyable? Couldn't some malware make a copy of the token and pretend to be that user?

    And for authorizing users to perform certain actions, would each microservice make a service call to the gateway/UserStore to determine the user's authority? Would it make these calls while processing an external API call? Seems like you wouldn't want any of your API functions to make their own API calls, since there would be an inherent network latency in those calls.

    Sorry if this is a bit jumbled, I can try to clarify on any points I need to.

    submitted by /u/WackyWormer
    [link] [comments]

    Vent - I hate this client

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 09:13 AM PDT

    Web developer selected a $6700 package. With an explainer video. and at the end of the 2 day discussion/exploration,

    he offered $400 because and I quote "80% of his site was complete"

    Here is the site thats supposedly 80% complete: http://implventures.panda2.top/

    Here is the site that he wants it to be like: https://www.atlassian.com/

    He ended the convo with: " I can get the same work for $400. Best of luck elsewhere. "

    submitted by /u/jshariar
    [link] [comments]

    Is it realistic to always design for widescreen (1920+) monitors?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 11:22 AM PDT

    Hello All - thank you for any assistance.

    I work with an agency that does some a lot of weird backgrounds extending out from the side of the page. They review all designs on their mac thunderbolt display which is 2560 by 1440 pixels. So for them - they see a TON of whitespace between the edges and centered content OR we have to box it in.

    1) To me it doesn't seem realistic to design past 1920x1080 - am I wrong about this?

    2) Is there any research/info available to support this claim?

    submitted by /u/treyt42
    [link] [comments]

    How would you create multiple client sites for demos?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 03:03 PM PDT

    I'd like to be able to quickly create a demo site for potential clients, and point them to, for example, a subdomain: clientX.mydomain.com

    To start, I consider myself a full stack dev using LAMP stack. Most of my sites are hand coded, as they are unique & customized administrative things (admin panels to run businesses).

    However, I now have a couple of WordPress sites I host and manage for some clients and want to bring on some more clients.

    I host everything on AWS using EC2 instances (and other AWS resources). I'd like to stay in this environment for a host of reasons.

    One option I have is:

    1. Create an EC2 image with WordPress prepped and ready
    2. Potential new client comes in. I spin up an EC2 nano from my main image
    3. I configure the new server with subdomain info then am able to customize a demo site for them in a theme that I think suits them (yes, the final could potentially be a different theme. This would be more as a "look what we can do")
    4. Say I get it to a point where they like it, I can make it a permanent server for them from there

    I can do the above. But I'm wondering if there's a simpler way. I'd rather only use free resources, as I'm already paying AWS. But if there's are paid plugins or sowftare that will save me a bunch of time, then it can be worth it.

    Any thoughts? Thanks

    submitted by /u/diffcalculus
    [link] [comments]

    Frontend looking for programmer mate to start a side project

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 11:18 AM PDT

    Hello to all, i hope this is the right section of reddit, if not could you please suggest me the right one ?

    What's the purpose of this post ?

    Find a person that want to plan and start a project with me.

    Why i opened this post ?

    Because i want to improve my self, and make projects alone in my free time it's boring.
    Because i believe in the teamwork; two experienced brains are better than one

    Because in my opinion will be a nice experience

    Are you asking me to work for free ?

    Well i will work for free too (see the next question ), the projects that we will made will be our :)

    Who am I?

    I'm a programmer too, i do it as regular full time job :) i'm a junior front end and my tech stack is:

    • react, redux and his ecosystem (saga, thunk, persist, react router)
    • low level of react native ( react native and native base )
    • jquery, html, css

    Why are you asking on the internet ?

    Hey i love it, and i believe in the power in internet, why don't give it a try ?

    plus i truly love to know new people :)

    Why a side project?

    Because i can work on it only in my free time

    submitted by /u/CuriousAudience
    [link] [comments]

    What is your favourite starter application

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 02:59 PM PDT

    I'm looking to start a new full-stack project, and it seems like there's a million different starter projects at various levels of completion. I am building a SAAS product. I am looking for something that feels as complete as Rails used to.

    I'm looking for something that has a bunch of standard features that basically all apps will have to build at some point.

    1. Authentication and roles
    2. Background jobs
    3. Payments
    4. CI and deploy pipeline
    5. CLI and module/resource generation

    I'd like to know what the community likes right now.

    submitted by /u/Amos47
    [link] [comments]

    Libraries or tools for static HTML

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 02:54 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    I like to write my own HTML/CSS, and I'm interested in creating a new blog. I like the idea of low maintenance and speed, and all that comes with static sites. I've been trying many static site generators and while they are nice, I just don't think it's for me. I was hoping there was a library or something to include in my HTML files to give me some of those modern functions.

    For example, adding metadata (date/author) to articles, latest posts on home page, adding new links on the sidebar, pagination, etc. I'm not great at JS, and while I was able to use includes for the header/footer, I have no idea where to start for these other things.

    I know SSG's are great and all, but I was just wondering what my other options are.

    submitted by /u/FrienderUsely
    [link] [comments]

    Performance budgets 101

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 05:26 AM PDT

    Rising Sophomore CS Student, Just finished learning redux, looked at Context APi, is it worthwhile to learn the newer hook-based state management?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 01:52 PM PDT

    I mean with redux for state management, i use the useEffect & useState Hooks and I don't use class-based components. Though I see there's this Context APi way to handle state with hooks and I watched a youtube video on that. Is it worth learning that stuff and the useRef hook whatever that is? The only hooks I know how to use is useEffect and useState. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/kymedcs
    [link] [comments]

    Spent four hours figuring this out, new to webdev. How long have you spent figuring something out that was approximately this small?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2019 08:28 PM PDT

    It took me four hours torefactor this. (Apologies for bad picture quality) Learning javascript and I didn't like the way the instructor created the script so I thought I'd start to re write it. It's still not done. But the outcome I wanted is working.

    My console.Log shows the numbers the users pick either match with the random number or doesn't.

    User picks three numbers 1-10. Clicks the button to check if any numbers match the random numbers generated.

    After I was done, it felt like i should of figured it out sooner..

    submitted by /u/Heyitsme299
    [link] [comments]

    launch confirm dialog if user changes input without saving

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 12:45 PM PDT

    How do you do this?

    I need to implement in JS a warning if a user changes an input field in a form without saving. The expected behavior is that I make a change into the input and if I try to close the window the confirm dialog appears.

    However, what actually happens is when I close the window, the window closes and the dialog does not appear.

    I'm referencing the following resources:

    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7317273/warn-user-before-leaving-web-page-with-unsaved-changes

    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7080269/javascript-before-leaving-the-page

    This is what I have currently:

    var formInputChanged = false;

    $(function() {

    // activate modal is field is edited

    $(".account-settings-form input").on("input", function() {

    window.formInputChanged = true;

    });

    $("input[value='Cancel']").click(function() {

    window.formInputChanged = false;

    });

    window.addEventListener('beforeunload', (event) => {

    if (window.formInputChanged) {

    confirm("You have unsaved changes");

    }

    });

    });

    I have that variable set globally so as far a I understand, should be fully accessible and I'm assigning it to the window in the functions.

    I can see in the console.log() that `formInputChanged` is the correct value.

    https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Window/beforeunload_event

    This event enables a web page to trigger a confirmation dialog asking

    the user if they really want to leave the page. If the user confirms,

    the browser navigates to the new page, otherwise it cancels the

    navigation.

    What does "leave the page" mean? Back button? X out? Is it an event listener issue?

    According to the specification, to show the confirmation dialog an

    event handler should call preventDefault() on the event.

    I have that in place so that doesn't seem to be the issue...

    Why doesn't the confirm modal launch?

    Here is a full JS Fiddle demo: https://jsfiddle.net/g6wjrcae/

    submitted by /u/kawnah
    [link] [comments]

    Why such a difference in price?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 12:36 PM PDT

    Not sure this is the right place to post this so if anyone knows a better place please let me know? Let's get to it anyway.

    So a friend and I are working to get a startup going which will involve an app and a website. now since neither of us know how to create and app or website we have decided to go to search for a company to do this for us. We have been in contact with a few well known ones each quoting us ~£5000 for a prototype then a further £30k - £70k for the further full thing. Now both of us being in our 20s we have no such money so we looked elsewhere. We came across a company called the upstarters who make it clear they are cheaper than the rest. They quoted us $10k for a functioning website and app.

    My question is how can there be such a huge difference in price and if I should suspect something is up.

    Any help is really appreciated and again if this is the wrong place to ask this kind of thing please point me somewhere more appropriate.

    submitted by /u/ferg247
    [link] [comments]

    Testing my understand of CORS with these examples

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 12:33 PM PDT

    Hey,

    I've been trying to understand the Same Origin Policy and CORS.

    Would it be correct to say -

    1. A banking app would have no explicit value set for the Access-Control-Allow-Origin since it would only want its own domain to access its resources
    2. A public API like that of Twitter would have the Access-Control-Allow-Origin header as '*' since its open to the world (authentication issues notwithstanding)

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/thiswassupposedlyfun
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] A tool to compile only the required parts of Bulma Framework.

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 12:32 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment