• Breaking News

    Saturday, June 29, 2019

    I've been making a game all about human interaction and autism spectrum disorder

    I've been making a game all about human interaction and autism spectrum disorder


    I've been making a game all about human interaction and autism spectrum disorder

    Posted: 29 Jun 2019 03:54 AM PDT

    Working with ground shadows on a 2D platformer

    Posted: 29 Jun 2019 09:13 AM PDT

    I made a puzzle level editor

    Posted: 28 Jun 2019 01:44 PM PDT

    Real 3D Engine - in Excel!!

    Posted: 29 Jun 2019 05:45 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    Off the back of my Excel pseudo-3D video a little while back, I've created a "proper" 3D model in Excel. One step closer to Crysis!! It allows you to view any model made out of triangles in glorious 192 x 108 resolution, although it must be said that the model slows down to a standstill the moment the geometry becomes more complicated than just a simple box.

    See the video demo here: https://youtu.be/bFOL9kantXA

    This approach is based off of selected parts of the brilliant tutorials by Chili, called "3D Programming Fundamentals", which you can find here if you'd like to learn how to do 3D from scratch: https://youtu.be/uehGqieEbus

    I'll be uploading the Excel file to my GitHub this afternoon. Hope you enjoy!

    submitted by /u/s0lly
    [link] [comments]

    Just Released Our Second FREE Platformer Tileset on itch.io CHECK IT OUT! - rottingpixels.itch.io -

    Posted: 29 Jun 2019 08:38 AM PDT

    Looking for feedback on the UI design for my underwater roguelike. Any thoughts?

    Posted: 29 Jun 2019 09:08 AM PDT

    How Rare Tests Sea of Thieves to Stop Bugs Reaching Players

    Posted: 29 Jun 2019 06:10 AM PDT

    We've been working on the ability to place objects on and off grids + color dyes in our game for lots of customization options!

    Posted: 29 Jun 2019 10:50 AM PDT

    We desperately need more AA Developers

    Posted: 29 Jun 2019 07:42 AM PDT

    https://www.gametruth.com/editorials/we-desperately-need-more-aa-developers/

    The recent hype around Obsidian Entertainment's new The Outer Worlds title has drawn an interesting point. AA developers can still lure the attention of the video game industry's exponentially growing video game audience. It's a good thing too, because we need those developers now more than ever.

    First off, before breaking down why we need smaller developers, let's dig into why The Outer Worlds is getting so much attention right now.

    Obsidian Entertainment includes members of the development team involved in the original Fallout franchise. Video game titan Bethesda purchased the rights to the franchise before producing Fallout 3, Fallout Shelter, Fallout 4 and Fallout 76. Obsidian was later contracted to make Fallout: New Vegas, however.

    Bethesda has been receiving some heat from fans as of late. Many hardcore fallout fans were seemingly underwhelmed by Fallout 4 following the critical success of Fallout 3. Beyond that, the release of Fallout Shelter as a mobile game has since caused some fans to fear that the company may be making a change to mobile development.

    Following all of this, the company has gone on to release Fallout 76. Well, Fallout 76 has been arguably somewhat of a failure. The game has been marketed as the multiplayer Fallout experience. Yet, it's the multiplayer experience no Fallout fan was ever asking for. Arguably just reaching out to the largest demographic of fans, the company is leaving hardcore fans in the dust in favor of the massive multiplayer community.

    Except the multiplayer community doesn't want the game either. The game has sustained damning critical reception and serious heat from fans. Since then, Obsidian Entertainment has released trailers for their upcoming game The Outer Worlds.

    The game appears to be a creative blend of Borderlands and the Fallout series. Consequently, many hardcore Fallout fans have begun fervently flocking to the recent announcement. The reception for Obsidian Entertainment's The Outer Worlds is what simply proves my point here.

    Bethesda is about as AAA as it gets. Now here is Wikipedia's dentition) of "AAA."

    "AAA is an informal classification used for video games produced and distributed by a mid-sized or major publisher, typically having higher development and marketing budgets."

    Simply put, AAA developers are providers of "blockbuster" quality video games. The issue here is that the video game industry has reached the same level as film concerning this matter. Just like how a blockbuster movie is constrained by its massive budget, so is a AAA video game.

    Most modern blockbuster movies are forced to pander to the lowest common denominator when it comes to marketing and narrative direction. The films simply require so much money to make that they have to reach as large of a demographic as possible in order to receive a return on the initial investments made. Consequently, many blockbuster movies feel derivative, predictable or even down right offensive to the viewer's intelligence on the extreme end.

    AAA video game development has reached this same scale. Bethesda, a company once beloved for their RPGs, are now turning to mobile gaming and multiplayer gaming. It is not simply a coincidence that these are two of the largest markets within the gaming industry.
    If we want games to remain interesting, unpredictable and artistically brilliant, we are going to have to lower our standards on polish and scope just a little bit. Rather than simply crossing our fingers in hopes that Bethesda or some other AAA developer will seemingly get it right with their next title, why don't we place some trust in AA developers?

    Obsidian Entertainment, for instance, released Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire just last year. The game was crowdfunded by an army of hardcore, loyal RPG fans that adored the idea of getting a new isometric dungeon crawler. To no surprise, Obsidian Entertainment delivered.

    Now, crowdfunding is not necessarily the answer. Sure, it allows developers like Obsidian Entertain and legendary adventure games designer Tim Schafer to make some wonderful stuff. But, crowdfunding is not always great. Much like pre-ordering, the consumer is forced to spend their hard earned money before they can have any assurance that the product they are paying for is worthwhile.

    Still, there is seemingly a larger level of creative freedom on the AA level than with those providing the year's blockbuster games. If we begin to embrace AA developers, then perhaps we can reach a level where crowdfunding is no longer a necessary part of the process. Then, it's all hands on deck. It will be time for yet another video game industry renaissance.

    AAA developers are not inherently bad. They are simply up against impossible odds. With the need to meet incredibly steep financial goals, these video game artists are forced to cater to the most easily marketable demographic. It's an unfortunate symptom caused by the success of video games as a whole. Thankfully, AA gaming may be the answer hardcore gamers need right now.

    submitted by /u/hboyce1
    [link] [comments]

    The PC/switch fairytale adventure finally coming to iOS, She and The Light Bearer!������

    Posted: 29 Jun 2019 10:28 AM PDT

    A friend made a documentary series about the games industry in the north of the Netherlands. The second episode just went live

    Posted: 29 Jun 2019 05:27 AM PDT

    Whats a good place to post my first game and get feedback?

    Posted: 29 Jun 2019 06:36 AM PDT

    Ive been interested in game development since I started programming and Ive recently started using Unity. At one point I got caught in a loop where I would start making a game, half way decide its not good enough and end up leaving it and starting a new one; this left me with a bunch of unfinished games and made me realize Im never gonna be able to have a different opinion other than mine if it goes on.
    So, I decided I would finish my first ever game and post it somewhere, as crappy as it may be, and maybe that will motivate me to finish the rest. So I would like if you can suggest me where I can upload my games, hopefully for free, so people can see it and give me some feedback; maybe even post it here if thats ok.

    submitted by /u/PabloWusHere
    [link] [comments]

    How do you deal with the CVAA?

    Posted: 29 Jun 2019 08:13 AM PDT

    I'm working on a game right now with multiplayer functionality, and was planning to add text chat. However, after looking through the CVAA, it seems like doing so would open me up to being fined by the FCC unless I spend an enormous amount of development time adding accessibility features to my engine. In light of this, I'm considering not adding any chat feature at all, which is a problem because it would significantly impact gameplay in my case. I don't see how I could possibly invest this development time and still be able to ship the game before I run out of savings.

    One alternative I can think of is to push the chat outside of the game, maybe by having a way for players to exchange contact information to chat in discord, or matrix or email or something. That way, the CVAA restrictions are someone else's problem. However, that is a privacy nightmare and probably against the terms of service for a third party service like discord, or will open me up to other legal troubles if something goes wrong. (Now that I think about it, maybe this is why Nintendo uses a centralized phone app for online communication in their games?)

    So I'm at a loss here. The CVAA is stupidly vague, which means I have no way to know whether I'm "safe" even if I spend the time to work on those accessibility features, and I definitely don't have the resources to hire a legal consultant to help me out.

    Anyone have some advice? I really don't want to have to cut features to meet these requirements. It's hard enough to be competitive as an indie.

    submitted by /u/humanmanguy
    [link] [comments]

    Lua Scripting for quick games!

    Posted: 29 Jun 2019 11:33 AM PDT

    I've been working on a Virtual Console that works with Lua Scripts!

    If you want, you can download it from GitHub or help me developing the console!

    Click me to view GitHub page!

    submitted by /u/Vulcalien
    [link] [comments]

    Looking For the Right Engine

    Posted: 29 Jun 2019 11:30 AM PDT

    Back in 2017, I created a tabletop RPG for my friends and I. They loved it a lot, and encouraged me to take it to a small tabletop convention. It won "best in show" and "most binge-worthy" there. I know how to make something people will enjoy, and I like prioritizing giving the player the ability to customize withing the game. I'm looking now to move my gameworld into a videogame format if I can, but I have no experience.

    I thought about RPG Maker MV, but after messing around with it for a while, and learning how to use it, I found that it had too many limitations to be able to realize even a bit of my vision.

    I know I have to start small, but I'm wondering what's out there that might be able to let me breathe a little as far as creativity goes. I don't know how to code, I'm not a graphics designer or an animator. I'm a storyteller, and an RPG fanatic.

    The type of gave I want to make would structurally be in the same vein as Final Fantasy Tactics/Tactics Advance with an emphasis on character cosmetic customization.

    Thanks in advance for any help this community can offer.

    Edit: forgot to add that I'm taking classes on skillshare for modeling, animation and programming. I also plan to outsource any animation I need to other artists so that I only have to mess with that in an assistance capacity.

    submitted by /u/AnyGivenDeus
    [link] [comments]

    Writer, Artist, and Musician looking for a Programmer!

    Posted: 29 Jun 2019 10:37 AM PDT

    Hello! We are a small indie team of passionate individuals who have began development on a JRPG inspired game. For reference the game will be like a mix between Undertale, Fire Emblem, and Persona.

    We have a proof of concept document detailing mechanics and gameplay that spans 20+ pages long, and have some sample assets available for people who want to gauge at the art direction of the game.

    At the moment we are working on a "demo" of the game. The narrative script of the demo has already been completed and we are currently working on composing our first music piece and our artist is working on assets as well.

    We are hoping to be able to complete the demo within the next 4 months, and are looking for a Programmer who can commit to at least 4 months of work with us and who is proficient in C# (we started this game on Unity). The goal during these 4 months of development is to regularly post updates and to start building a community prior to the demo's completion. Once the demo has been completed, we will likely place the project on Kickstarter, or Patreon (perhaps even both for different purposes).

    The position is currently unpaid (we're all unpaid), though we are definitely hoping this endeavour will churn out money once our demo is completed and takes off.

    Please pm me if you are interested! Preference to those based in Vancouver, BC, or at least in the West Coast time zone. You may also directly msg me on discord: Botaybry#4966 or email me: bryan.ngot.pham@gmail.com

    Feel free to pm about any details you want to know about our game, or any questions you might have.

    submitted by /u/daenseu
    [link] [comments]

    Chuck Norris taught me gamedev

    Posted: 29 Jun 2019 10:22 AM PDT

    TIL: We pay US withholding even for refunded Steam sales

    Posted: 28 Jun 2019 01:49 PM PDT

    I sell the soundtrack of my game as a DLC. It usually sells very little since it's just a dozen MP3 files. Today I had been reviewing numbers for previous months and I noticed that on a particular month, 2 of the 3 sales of the soundtrack had been refunded. I checked all the numbers for that month and then found something else: The US Share of the revenue was larger than the revenue itself.

    I pay withholding of 30% of the revenue generated on the US (after Valve takes theirs 30%), so that means 21% of the value of every US refunded sale is deducted from my final revenue.

    submitted by /u/Hudell
    [link] [comments]

    Unreal Engine4 Niagara Crunch Death

    Posted: 29 Jun 2019 09:04 AM PDT

    Survey to Inform my Personal Project

    Posted: 29 Jun 2019 09:02 AM PDT

    Hi! So to preface this, I'm a 17 year old graphics student and for my personal investigation (the main project I have to do for my A-Levels), I'm creating a concept for a game and creating promotional content for it. Depending on how long that takes and if I have time remaining, I might get into creating it in it's basic form. I will use the survey to inform some of the decisions, especially character creation as that's going to be the bulk of the creation process.

    The game itself is going to be high fantasy and using 5e D&D mechanics (I know it's been done to death but I don't get grades for original mechanics and systems but for aesthetics, since it's graphics, and I chose what I'm most familiar with).

    All the survey asks about are simple demographic questions (optional, but they do help figure out a target audience), a couple questions regarding the characters, and general questions about features and promotional material. All required questions are multiple choice but there are places to put more detailed answers if you would like!

    The survey is quite short, completely anonymous and would massively help me!

    submitted by /u/nomilksomesugar
    [link] [comments]

    How to make a ' wheel ' game in unity

    Posted: 29 Jun 2019 08:04 AM PDT

    Impact with Hit-Freeze vs. Without

    Posted: 29 Jun 2019 08:03 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment