• Breaking News

    Saturday, June 22, 2019

    Is this portfolio "unprofessional"? web developers

    Is this portfolio "unprofessional"? web developers


    Is this portfolio "unprofessional"?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 07:24 AM PDT

    Hello there, everyone! Hope you're having an amazing day so far!! 😊☀

    The thing is - I've been struggling with my personal site for ages - I didn't like any of my previous concepts.

    But a few weeks ago I managed to create this (https://karolsitarz.github.io/). And I think I like it. The goal was to have a page that's simple, yet doesn't look like every single one out there.
    But somehow I feel that the illustrations at the top (they alternate with each refresh btw) give off an "unprofessional", even "childish" vibe. Is this true for you?

    Thank you in advance and have a great day!!

    submitted by /u/karolsitarz
    [link] [comments]

    [UPDATE] Beware of Namecheap! $5,000 for a "premium" unregistered domain I just bought for $12

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 12:10 PM PDT

    Original post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Entrepreneur/comments/c3gzvh/beware_of_namecheap_5000_for_a_premium/My post was auto removed by a bot for using an url shortener so reposting it here to give you guys an update.

    UPDATE

    This has blown up and things have gotten really interesting now. Namecheap claims there is absolutely no record of the domain in question being queried in their logs. I know they are being dishonest about this, but in order to prove it I will have to unfortunately give up my whois privacy, the domain in question is ideaalerts.com.

    Since the search parameter was passed in the url I can use my search history to prove this took place. Here is a screenshot of query that namecheap claims never happened everyone: https://imgur.com/a/BQ6R14p Note the URL in the bottom left and the date of the history item. I have a bunch of these if someone wants, like I said I looked it up multiple times.

    Really disappointed at how Namecheap handled this and made false claims about their log entries to try and paint me as a liar. I would have been fine to accept it as a bug and move on, thats understandable. But going the extra step to try and cover it up like this is pretty despicable.

    submitted by /u/talecK
    [link] [comments]

    Seeking to provide dev mentorship to dedicated newbs & junior devs

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 07:58 AM PDT

    When I was starting out, following tutorials and trying to build a portfolio and land my first job, I was overwhelmed with the sheer amount of stuff it seemed I had to learn. I wished I had someone to give me some guidance.

    I've been screening and interviewing a bunch of candidates as my company ramps up its hiring, and a good handful of folks applying with several years of experience on the job still lack some essential foundations and don't make it through the screen. I feel bad for them because I can identify with being stuck and not sure what to do. That got me thinking about becoming the kind of mentor I wished I'd had.

    I'd like to take on a handful of dedicated newbs to help you out however I can with code reviews, guidance on resumes and interview prep, answering questions about what is valued in the industry, what it's like to be a software engineer at a startup, or just to bounce ideas off of as you work to launch your new career or move up from a junior position.

    In terms of technical questions, I can probably help the most with Javascript frontend/backend, Python backend, and AWS. For team & career questions, my experience is with startups and not large companies.

    If you're interested, please PM me a bit about yourself and what you're coming from, where you are as a developer, where you want to be, and what you want help with. Also if you can think of a way to show that you're dedicated to this, that will encourage me to take more time to give you feedback!

    Hopefully this will help some people out!

    submitted by /u/DevMentor
    [link] [comments]

    You can now filter youtube search by videos' length! (my first Chrome Extension)

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 01:12 PM PDT

    You can now filter youtube search by videos' length! (my first Chrome Extension)

    Hey everyone,

    I finally uploaded a chrome extension I coded a few days ago to Chrome Webstore.

    What it does is filter videos by time length, like, filtering between 1:00 and 3:00 will exclude videos below 1 minute and longer than 3 minutes.

    If you could give me any feedback I'd love it. Thank you!

    Download (Chrome Webstore | Github

    https://reddit.com/link/c3u7c6/video/it8szd8nty531/player

    submitted by /u/dpwdpw
    [link] [comments]

    Bulma Notifications

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 11:26 AM PDT

    Adding Instagram photo to webpage via image url copy paste in a form.

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 01:32 PM PDT

    I am building a website that can let users post photos of their work. I was wondering whether it was possible to let my users copy and paste Instagram photo URL to get images additionally to uploading photos from phone or desktop. I see many reposting apps so i was wondering... If so what part of their API should I look into and is it possible via JavaScript?

    submitted by /u/deemidu
    [link] [comments]

    Struggling to land interviews as a front end dev, looking for portfolio feedback

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 12:03 PM PDT

    https://brianqian.com

    Hi, I've been looking for a job as a front end dev for a while now, I'm wondering if there's any issue with my portfolio or more skills/depth I should add to my skillset to help me land more interviews. Any feedback is welcome. For more context I'm a bootcamp grad that studied and worked in film for most of my career so I have no STEM background and I'm mostly self-taught.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/ellusion
    [link] [comments]

    Authentication Services vs. DIY

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 03:48 PM PDT

    Every time I start a project I need to go through setting up authentication. I've been tempted to use an Authentication as a Service provider such as Ping Identity, Auth0, Okta,... but they are SO DAMN EXPENSIVE and I always end up building my own signup, login, ...

    Have you used any of these services? Do you know of a more affordable service which is less "enterprisey"?

    submitted by /u/mitousa
    [link] [comments]

    When stumbling into new territory, how much do you develop and how much do you study?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 03:20 PM PDT

    Beginner here. When you're developing and there's this thing you want to do in this certain way but you don't know how to: do you do it in the way you're most comfortable doing, or do you stop and figure out how it's supposed to be done or the best way of doing it? How much do you spend studying?

    I have this tendency I have to understand something well before I use it, and I don't know if I should just do it in the way I know how to most comfortably and study some other time or learn now.

    Sorry if it's hard to understand. It's something specific that I'm having trouble with and I would love to hear how more experienced people deal(t) with it.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Sllypper
    [link] [comments]

    Hosting Django project in AWS

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 03:14 PM PDT

    I'm starting a side project where I want to build a small web app and host it on AWS but I can't for the life of me figure it out. I've gone through several tutorials where they use either elasticbeanstalk or an EC2 instance (with a cloudfront/s3 bucket) but I can't seem to pin point what's wrong.

    Is there a source that anyone would recommend me trying?

    submitted by /u/redravenwings
    [link] [comments]

    As someone with a CS minor, can I cobble together a web career using what I’ve learned?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 10:37 AM PDT

    Context: I know some of the basics of web development through completion of a CS minor but don't know if what I know is useful or relevant for modern web design. I have researched online regarding my problem and my understanding is that JavaScript is something I would need to be fluent in to have a webdev career, and a lot is done through CMS.

     

    WHAT I KNOW – PURE CODING:

    • Java up to data structures (trees and Huffman coding)
    • Enough Python to translate what I did in Java to Python
    • I have never done anything in Java or Python related to backend or web aside from web scraping using BeautifulSoup

    WHAT I KNOW – WEB DEVELOPMENT

    • Enough CSS and HTML to make a decent looking basic website from scratch
    • Basic JavaScript to make things happen and move around on the website
    • Enough PHP / AJAX to make basic account creation and login, get/post user data, deal with user surveys within a website
    • Database management using phpmyadmin

    WHAT I DON'T KNOW

    • How to use WordPress or CMS
    • I don't know any backend besides very basic PHP (getting, updating, posting data)
    • I don't know any JavaScript libraries besides basic JQuery

    WHAT I THINK I UNDERSTAND

    • Fluency in JavaScript and JavaScript libraries like Angular, React, Node, etc. is important
    • PHP is becoming obsolete ( not sure what's replacing it but that's the vibe I get )
    • Small websites are not coded from scratch, they use CMS and use preset themes instead of written CSS

     

    Summary: Overall, I know I am not ready for a career in web development, but I don't know what I would need to learn to get me there. I don't understand what web developers do, since all I've done is make tiny websites that do nothing functionally. What would you recommend be the next step I take? My idea of progression here would be learning JavaScript to the level that I know Java and Python, then trying to learn JS libraries. Thanks for the help.

    submitted by /u/Brystvorter
    [link] [comments]

    Are basic "to-do list" apps frowned upon as portfolio pieces?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 08:24 AM PDT

    I feel like to-do lists are the go to "I want to learn this new technology" app, and they display that a person has at least a basic understanding of whatever tech they're working with.

    At the same time, they're extremely basic and probably won't wow any employers. Should I avoid putting a to-do list in my portfolio projects?

    submitted by /u/CybilStrings
    [link] [comments]

    question: just registered a domain name, but don't seem to be able to get in and start working on things

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 01:13 PM PDT

    I resisterd a domain name via google domains and now i don't seem to be able to get into anything and start working. I don't know where to try logging in or whatever. Do i need to get hosting in addition to registering the domain name, i guess?

    submitted by /u/blockstonerocks
    [link] [comments]

    Subgrid is coming to Firefox

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 08:42 PM PDT

    Is there any standard datasheet for responses ?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 02:58 AM PDT

    Hi devs, I'm stuck on writing some good responses like your password has been changed or incorrect password and so on is there any standard datasheet for responses

    submitted by /u/alienforlien
    [link] [comments]

    If i'm home searching are there any real estate APIs that allow me to input/prioritize greenspaces like parks?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 12:40 PM PDT

    [Showoff] Posted here a couple months back, but have redesigned my portfolio site further. Any kind of feedback is appreciated as always!

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 12:25 PM PDT

    Drawing a Building in 2 Point Perspective using JavaScript and HTML Canvas

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 08:38 AM PDT

    how to pass php array variables through html in php mail function

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 12:23 PM PDT

    $Program = mysqli_real_escape_string($conn,$_POST['programDomain']);
    $Location= mysqli_real_escape_string($conn,$_POST['location']);

    $message = "
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>Please Review The Purchase Request</title>
    </head>
    <body>

    Program Domain: ".$Program."<br>
    Loacation: ".$Location."<br>

    <table>
    <tr>
    <th>Asset Item</th>
    <th>Unit</th>
    <th>Quantity</th>
    <th>Budget</th>
    </tr>

    //I want this part to repeat for $i number of times
    while($i>=0){
    <tr>
    <td>".$_POST['assetItemList'][$i]."</td>
    <td>".$_POST['unit'][$i]."</td>
    <td>".$_POST['quantity'][$i]."</td>
    <td>".$_POST['budget'][$i]."</td>
    </tr>
    i--
    }
    </table>

    submitted by /u/lord_gav
    [link] [comments]

    100s of free fun APIs for your next project

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 06:09 PM PDT

    Typescript website doesn’t work on github

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 08:01 AM PDT

    Newb here: Noob question I am bad at typescript and node. I wanted to use office fabric ui for website so I made a project following their tutorial on guthub. It worked fine when I ran Npm start so I put the project on guthub repo for website but it just shows blank page and none of the fabric ui controls I put. Why this happening? How to fix? https://firecubestudios.github.io/ https://github.com/FireCubeStudios/FireCubeStudios.github.io

    submitted by /u/FireCubeStudios
    [link] [comments]

    Question about CSP headers

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 11:37 AM PDT

    Not sure this is the right place for it, but I had a question about CSP headers. Are these meant to be cached by the browser? I'm experimenting with setting different CSP policies and I've noticed I've had to clear my browser cache almost every time I make a change to the policy. Is there a way to force client browsers to refresh the CSP header more frequently so that changes are accounted for? I'm worried that if anything is missed in production that requires a quick change to the policy, I'll already have clients that have the old policy cached.

    I've done some searching and most hits I get are how to set CSP headers or how to use the cache-control header, so I must not be using good search keywords. I've seen a few things that suggest that it's cached in local storage and how to get my own browser to refresh the headers manually, but I'm more interested in making sure all client browsers always have the latest policy transparent to the user.

    submitted by /u/Teximus_Prime
    [link] [comments]

    I need of a way around the issue of button animation not resetting after clicking and box container going above board

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 11:37 AM PDT

    Hi All,

    I am not to sure if this is the right place to do this but i need help, i have been trying to solve this issue for sometime now,

    The first issue is that once i click the readmore button, it the animation on that button goes away and second issue is that the left conatiner changes its size when i click readmore on the second container.

    this is the codepen here: https://codepen.io/tickatop/pen/wLdvPd

    Thanks in advance for any help

    submitted by /u/lanrayx2
    [link] [comments]

    Odd question- anyone know a platform that I can use to send and receive SMS too and add some programming? End goal is to trigger an auto response from a form submit via a web hook and be able to manually respond to messages that come back

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 07:47 AM PDT

    I tried twilio + zapier but couldn't figure out the responding manually part.

    Edit: I've got a use case where this is helpful to end users. It's for an emergency service. I understand the stigma around SMS and being obtrusive.

    With Twilio, I can get texts sent, but when someone responds I can't see what they say or respond back to it from the same number, that's my issue

    submitted by /u/painya
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need to get a Computing Degree or should I subscribe to Codecademy Pro or Pluralsight instead?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 07:17 AM PDT

    Feel free to delete this if you need too. Not 100% on the subreddit rules. And if it's been asked I apologise. Just after some beginner advice.

    I've been doing a HTML & CSS course via Udemy and have another one cued up on JavaScript.

    I have been toying with doing an Open University course BSc(Hons) Computing and IT but still debating whether the time needed to do it. And it potentially taking 3-6 years. As I'll be working full time.

    Is worth it against take up a subscription to either Codecademy or Pluralsight.

    I am looking at changing careers and moving into Web Development permanently.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/sahymuhn
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment