• Breaking News

    Monday, June 24, 2019

    I saw this on a website, why are the classes named like this? web developers

    I saw this on a website, why are the classes named like this? web developers


    I saw this on a website, why are the classes named like this?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2019 04:22 AM PDT

    Possible silly question: Why are we counting kb's and page sizes when we are living in a 1080p streaming era?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2019 09:46 AM PDT

    Connections for the most part are fast enough to stream 720p easily without lag from YouTube. Clearly it's not speed problem and definitely not a data size problem. So what gives?

    I feel dumb asking this question.

    submitted by /u/I_HAVE_PLOT_ARMOUR
    [link] [comments]

    GraphQL: The Documentary

    Posted: 24 Jun 2019 12:06 PM PDT

    What's the deal with domain name registration?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2019 10:28 AM PDT

    Sorry about the Seinfeld-ly frustration, but I just don't seem to be getting donaim names registration at all. I mean, fundamentally why are they so expensive? (Yes, they're damn cheap in first-world countries, but the pricing in other places is pretty high)

    I get the cost of web hosting because the servers have to keep running, but just what about redirecting 100.xx.xx.xxx to tld.com requires a monthly recurring fee? There's the ICANN fees, but what about the rest? Does a server have to be constantly running to make this redirection? I just can't seem to make any sense of this business. Can someone ELI5 it to me? Thanks

    submitted by /u/domyhwproxy
    [link] [comments]

    How Do I Make the Case for Updating Development Methodology at My New Job?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2019 12:36 PM PDT

    TL;DR; Just hired as a senior dev in part because I could help modernize code and methodologies. Boss (wrote entire codebase, also co-owner) seems terrified of all ideas I bring to the table. How do I overcome this?

    Howdy! I'm /u/breich. You may remember me from such posts as I am a Web Dev. And I am Burnt The F#*K Out.

    I recently took a position with a local company that has a fairly robust SAAS product they sell. The entire codebase is written by a single developer over about 20 years. There is no source control. There is no testing. There is no way to even run the code locally to manually test.

    But... everything works well.

    They hired me as a senior full-stack developer in part because I could help them modernize and scale their dev team. I was really excited about this new challenge. But I haven't even started and I can already tell that the real challenge of this job will be getting buy-in from their primary developer (also co-owner of the company) in order to do anything.

    They have no source control. He's open to it but is terrified of having copies of his code living on roaming laptops. This is understandable but I also don't see how we can successfully work together without solving this.

    They have no ability to run and test code locally. So I recommended Docker to easily spin up dev environments. That wasn't possible (because they're married to FreeBSD which doesn't play well with Docker), so in my own time I setup an equivalent virtual environment in VirtualBox, which maps a folder to your local source tree and has a "FAMP" environment that mirrors their production environment. He says he's "intellectually curious to see if it's possible, but doesn't really see the value." Maybe he thinks the way he does things is fine. But in my opinion having to move files back and force between a shared network drive and a test instance in a data center is kind of absurd, when I know I can setup a dev environment in which I can simply change code, then refresh my browser to see the changes.

    Anyway, this really my first experience working as part of a "team." And even though they supposedly hired me for my experience and new ideas and methodologies I can bring to the table, I can already see my boss is going to make me go to war to make improvements to anything. So be my Sun Tzu and teach me the Art of War. Do you have any strategies for overcoming this?

    submitted by /u/breich
    [link] [comments]

    Notes to a Young Software Engineer: Beware Engineering Media

    Posted: 24 Jun 2019 03:29 AM PDT

    [Question] What would be the best way to 'scroll-lock' on an element and then when scrolling past inner content it continues?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2019 12:52 PM PDT

    Hello!

    I have a client that wants to 'lock' on an element that when finished scrolling on inner content it continues to go down the rest of the page.

    Do you know what that is called? How would you do it?

    vanilla javascript would be great to use; the page is using jQuery, but not looking to include any plugins for this.

    Any help would be appreciated!

    Thanks,

    submitted by /u/presince
    [link] [comments]

    How long does it take to become a pro at creating WordPress sites?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2019 01:08 PM PDT

    Hey all, hope I'm in the right sub because I'm a complete newbie at this stuff and I'm just curious. The company I work for hired a contractor to optimize and make alterations to word press themes we sell to clients. We are paying this guy 150+ an hour. I've done some basic word press site creation in the past and I'm just curious how long it would take to get to this contractors level.

    submitted by /u/human112
    [link] [comments]

    Confused on how to authenticate users to my REST API

    Posted: 24 Jun 2019 12:34 PM PDT

    The first time I did this I simply just returned a JWT to the client and stored it in localstorage. The requirements for this application are different and I've heard that just using JWTs isn't good practice. The application is going to be a SPA with a REST API and also allow third parties to access account information. Because of this I was leaning towards oAuth but do I still use oAuth for my first party application? Would it be dumb to use JWTs for my first part application and oAuth for third part applications?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/acowstandingup
    [link] [comments]

    Placing a Button on top of an Anchored Element

    Posted: 24 Jun 2019 12:31 PM PDT

    Hello,

    So i'm curious how to go about this. Basically, I have a rectangular object that, whenever the user clicks on it, needs to be sent to a certain link with the exception of this button. When the user clicks on this button, they are sent to a different link.

    Currently, my button is nested inside the anchor, which covers the entire box. This of course doesn't work, and both links end up getting pressed. How would I do this? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Smashtoblack1
    [link] [comments]

    [Gatsby / Netlify] How do I access environment variables from my react component?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2019 12:26 PM PDT

    I'm building a static site using Gatsby and have a Google Map component that requires the Google API key. I declared an environment variable in the Netlify UI but when I try to access it in my map component it shows that

    process.env.GOOGLE_API_KEY = undefined.

    What's the correct way to access environment variables from a component? I've seen some people pass it down through props by using a graphql query but apparently anyone can see the API key using react dev tools.

    Any help is appreciated, thank you

    submitted by /u/lonelylearner
    [link] [comments]

    I'm struggling on debugging modules on node-express

    Posted: 24 Jun 2019 03:41 PM PDT

    I'm learning web development, so bare with me.

    I was doing this really small project, just a simple app on React, (using "npm create-react-app"). But then realized I also need Express to make things work. I installed Express, but now I can't compile my react code: everytime I go "npm start", I get an error

    TypeError: Cannot read property 'toString' of undefined (anonymous function) .../node_modules/graceful-fs/graceful-fs.js:66 63 | // versions of graceful-fs are installed. 64 | 65 | > 66 | if (!/\bgraceful-fs\b/.test(fs.closeSync.toString())) { 67 | fs.closeSync = module.exports.closeSync; 68 | fs.close = module.exports.close; 69 | } 

    The thing is... I didn't even called that dependency on my code, and I don't even know where to start looking to fix this error, since I don't know what is causing it. I updated the dependencies, but it's still not working.

    Did I messed up something when I installed express? How do I debug this?

    Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I'm pretty new and this it's frustrating me into oblivion

    submitted by /u/ValtielZ
    [link] [comments]

    How can i get job as a junior front end developer?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2019 03:41 PM PDT

    Hu guys. I'm comming from Macedonia and i'm interested about working from home as a junior front end developer. I know HTML, CSS and a little Javascript and wanted to know if there's anyone who work from home to explain to me what i need to learn and what i need to do in order to can to work from home, even if it's some basic job for small amount of money. Please respond to me!

    submitted by /u/anevskii
    [link] [comments]

    [Advice] Best way to paywall a web-application written in java-script using HTML5/Canvas for UI?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2019 03:30 PM PDT

    I'm a self-taught developer and I'm just completing an application that fills a training niche in my primary profession. It uses <canvas> and js to display simulated diagnostic information from a piece of technical equipment. Training pertaining to this particular diagnostic is a large hurdle where a significant % of students have trouble and the training resources for teachers are nearly non-existent; so, I'd like to charge a small amount for access.

    I would like to keep things as simple as possible and (as an example) charge $5 for 30 days access for professionals during re-certification cycles, and something like $20 for a year for students or instructors to use regularly.

    I've searched around and using Word Press with a membership paywall plugin / eCommerce plugin seems to be the only recommendation I can find. I was hopping there was something in-between that and building it from scratch. I might just be underestimating the complicated nature of all that user management though.

    Any recommendations of a solution in any language or framework is appreciated, thanks for reading!

    submitted by /u/TryGoogleFirst
    [link] [comments]

    The Odin Project Review

    Posted: 24 Jun 2019 06:43 AM PDT

    I wouldnt say im completely new to code i have my basics clear in few languages like C++, Python, C# . I have never stuck to a language so i would like to try my hand at web development and stick with it for some time . And found this Website for free so would you recommend it for me?

    submitted by /u/TheTurtleSenpai
    [link] [comments]

    how do I add space with an empty li?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2019 03:22 PM PDT

    https://codepen.io/Jncocontrol/pen/bPNzMd

    So, I have a project, and i'm making a phrase, and if that phrase has a empty slot (empty [i] ) make space, not 1 giant word.

    I attached my codepen for convenience.

    submitted by /u/Jncocontrol
    [link] [comments]

    How can I reference a few lines of HTML in another document

    Posted: 24 Jun 2019 02:45 PM PDT

    I'm not very experienced with web design so I'm unsure if this is an obvious thing. I can't find anything like what I want online I think because I don't know the right Google search to make.

    I have a website with a navigation menu on every page. The navigation menu is the same on every page. However, now the website has close to 50 pages, and if I want to add or remove a link in the navigation menu, I'd have to go remove that line from every single page's document.

    How can I just have a single version of the navigation menu that all the documents reference when it goes to add the navigation menu to the web page?

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/LegoSpencer
    [link] [comments]

    What service can I use in my static website to send an email on form submission and that is free.

    Posted: 24 Jun 2019 10:51 AM PDT

    I have a static website and a contact form. When that form is submitted I want an email to be sent to my email. I used getsimpleform.com but it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I need something that will send an email every time form is submitted. And it would be great if there are any free services. And I don't need many emails per month ~100 is still ok

    submitted by /u/crodev
    [link] [comments]

    Is there are no other free OCR APIs?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2019 02:26 PM PDT

    I searched about them and seemingly, only Google Cloud Vision thing exists but the problem that it's not all free.

    Is there another a free API that extracts text from picture? I kinda need it now.

    submitted by /u/KiNgOfSpEEdOJaCK
    [link] [comments]

    Really struggling to find clients

    Posted: 24 Jun 2019 05:41 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    Having trouble finding clients. I've had three clients, and they were very happy with my work. I have a pretty fleshed out portfolio website, but have no idea where to get more clients.

    I mostly make static sites, and can work with Jekyll too.

    How can I get more clients? I've tried Linkedin, Twitter, friends and family, but to no success :(

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/DipperDolphin
    [link] [comments]

    subsititutes for free hosting other than 000webhost??

    Posted: 24 Jun 2019 02:25 PM PDT

    i am using 000webhost temporarily to show my site to a client. unfortunately, they're out of server space at the moment and down for other reasons 90% of the time I need it to work. any other recommendations? I do not want to pay for hosting and domains i'll only be using temporarily

    submitted by /u/-storks-
    [link] [comments]

    Minimum wage for junior web dev in London!

    Posted: 24 Jun 2019 02:21 PM PDT

    Whats the best approach for this?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2019 02:15 PM PDT

    Hello, I have a project where I have to create a real estate website, similar to Zillow. As far as design goes, I like the look of Zillow's map and the display of the results. (Example: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/40.549548,-76.553078,40.111426,-77.291222_rect/10_zm/ )

    What is the best approach for creating something like this? HTML, CSS, and JS? Python / Flask / Django? Other alternatives? As far as a database goes, I don't imagine I'd need more than 50+ results for the project, nothing crazy like Zillow has.

    Any advice or direction would be appreciated. If you have any examples of work you've done that may be similar, I'd love to see it. Thanks

    submitted by /u/APMO
    [link] [comments]

    Best API to use for an online storefront?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2019 02:08 PM PDT

    I have a client, a small store owner in a small town, who has no website. They would like a website which gives customers the ability to purchase store items online and have them shipped to them. Since this is all on a small scale, the shipment process itself needs no autonomy; the store just needs to know what to ship out and when, as well as item costs to be handled online. This is currently in the conceptual phase, and since this is a region of web development I have not dabbled in previously, I have a few questions:

    • What, in this community's opinion, is the best interface or API to reach these ends? I've done some research and it looks like there's a lot of options. What would be most tailored to these needs?
    • We haven't done anything with domains or hosting or the like yet. Am I going to need a more specialized web hosting service to do this? I have prior experience with NameCheap and their native hosting service. Will something like this suffice?
    • What is the programming language requirement?
    submitted by /u/Acr515
    [link] [comments]

    Is it a good idea to get all the posts, with all the details in one go?

    Posted: 24 Jun 2019 01:42 PM PDT

    I'm creating a SPA with React + Wagtail / Django (actually I'm learning) that will be my blog. And for now, I'm loading all the posts (for now there are only two and it's still not complete, I'm doing it slowly) and all its complete fields in a single API call.

    So, when I want to read some post individually, I simply use .find () and get the post in a new url.

    But I think this can use a lot of memory in the future (imagine some 30 posts, with each content the body with a lot of html).

    So maybe it's a good idea to get only the titles, ids, and basic things for the home page cards. And every time the url is clicked, access the match passed by the Route, and make a new API call to that specific post, and get all the completed fields.

    Actually I think this depends on the use case. On one hand I have an array with gigantic objects in the state, but I do not have to make 1 new call at all, on the other, I have to make a new call every time someone opens some post.

    I want to hear your opinion on this.

    submitted by /u/rootuser_
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment