• Breaking News

    Saturday, June 22, 2019

    I am working on earth bending in VR. It feels amazing to punch rocks.

    I am working on earth bending in VR. It feels amazing to punch rocks.


    I am working on earth bending in VR. It feels amazing to punch rocks.

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 09:44 AM PDT

    My work during late hours

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 09:59 AM PDT

    OpenGL: Anyone interested in learning it? I'm making a tutorial series now (8 videos up, Windows, MacOS, Linux)

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 02:17 AM PDT

    Asset creators who are selling on both the Unreal Marketplace and the Unity Asset Store, which store has been treating you better?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 08:39 AM PDT

    I'm starting a new 3D environment and since it would never hurt to make a little money on the side, I'm planning on putting the final product up for sale. However I'd be curious to hear about your experiences on selling on both of the stores.

    Mainly, on which store are your assets getting more traction? On Unity's store I'd assume there is a big chance your asset will be buried under the endless stream of other assets, and on Unreal's store finding your assets could be hard with the lacking search tools and filters.

    Obviously that could just come down to marketing, but then there's the matter of two different user-bases. Do Unreal users buy as many assets as Unity users or vice versa?

    I'd also be curious to hear about other pros/cons about each store in case you have some to share. Trying to search for info on the subject, there aren't many direct comparisons between the stores from a seller's perspective so any light shed on the matter would be much appreciated.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/bluestemos
    [link] [comments]

    A depressing last update from a dead game project.

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 07:42 PM PDT

    I went down the rabbit hole following this dead game project called Stardale, it was developed by a team of three, started around 2014 and only lasted about a year. They had the website stardale.net which I came across last year but now it appears that the website is down so I used the wayback to go back and read some of the dev logs. It wasn't very popular and had a failed kick-starter page so it was already depressing enough reading through the website but then I came across the lead developer's last update in July 2015 and it's honestly one of the most depressing things I've read.

    I thought I'd share this as an example of what you shouldn't do as an indie game developer: they had a whole feature complete website with forums and tiers that you could buy all for a game that was in pre-alpha stage and it also appeared that the lead developer was working full time on the game and stated that he gave up his car and moved in with his family to continue developing it.

    submitted by /u/jpayne36
    [link] [comments]

    Hello, aspiring video game dev with an idea and nothing else to work with, where should I start?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 10:59 AM PDT

    Hello everyone! Ever since I was a child, I wanted to make video games because they've helped me through some tough times in my life (I had a rough childhood, but I'm not going to bore you with the details). And I want to be able to make something that would one day (hopefully) help someone else in the same way.

    Over the past few months, I have enrolled into a few courses for programming, 3d art, 2d art, and one for video game development. Now that I know a thing or two, I figured that I want to make a simple rpg game for my first title. I'm sure it won't be pretty, but I have an idea for how I want the game to be. I want it to be an isometric 3d game. I have drawn a few concept pieces on some characters for the game and have no problems turning them into 3d models when I need to.

    My question is, where should I start?

    Where does any game start its development? What gets worked on first?

    What do you guys/gals/others do when you have an idea for a game? Do you work on the environment/level? Or do you work on the story of your game if it has one before everything else like the environment/map?

    I'm incredibly sorry if anyone found this post annoying. I am lost and I would love some guidance, thank you for your time reading this!

    submitted by /u/GatzB_TheGreat
    [link] [comments]

    Finally released my first Android game after years of doubting myself!

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 09:58 AM PDT

    As many of us think, becoming a game developer is hard work and sometimes unattainable by yourself. Growing up I became victim of the idea that college education, a ton of money and a group of people are required to develop games but I was wrong.

    Throughout years of learning how to code and creating small projects I happened to challenge myself and create my first android game.

    This game took me 2 weeks to create and isn't original but is a huge milestone for me and will be a reminder that anything is possible.

    So for anyone reading this please check out my first android project and tell me what you think?

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.companyname.minesweeper

    Now I can finally work on a new project and have the confidence to push through, learn and fully release something.

    Thank you for your time!!

    submitted by /u/Gamerfates
    [link] [comments]

    Using Asset Store character models in a game that are likely used in other games.

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 09:36 AM PDT

    I've been considering purchasing character models from the Unity Asset Store to use in a game. I've previously used this free character in a demo that I released last spring and I've been thinking about purchasing the entire set to use in a fully functioning game.

    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/humanoids/fantasy-monster-skeleton-35635

    My concern is, how accepting are users when they recognize a character asset that was used in other games? I don't think I would ever recognize props and interactables like crates or chests but I think an enemy model would be very recognizable. I don't have the skill to make something myself and probably can't afford to pay someone for something custom just for me.

    What can I expect from users when they recognize a character that was used somewhere else?

    submitted by /u/javapimp
    [link] [comments]

    Crafting Environments of Battlefield V: An Evening with DICE LA

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 11:35 AM PDT

    Dapper Rabbit Games just released the first of four prototypes for free on Itch!

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 11:00 AM PDT

    Gun Recoil

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 10:53 AM PDT

    Hello, Reddit community!

    I was wondering if a few of you could help me add gun recoil to my game. I have tried a lot of different things but none of them have worked. Now I'm asking you guys if you ever added gun recoil. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/DennisF65
    [link] [comments]

    Are RNG generated operaton/mission names cool?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 04:37 AM PDT

    Screenshot Saturday #438 - Clean Design

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 08:08 PM PDT

    Share your progress since last time in a form of screenshots, animations and videos. Tell us all about your project and make us interested!

    The hashtag for Twitter is of course #screenshotsaturday.

    Note: Using url shorteners is discouraged as it may get you caught by Reddit's spam filter.


    Previous Screenshot Saturdays


    Bonus question: Give a game that you think handles character movement exceptionally well.

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    I've been working on a platformer beat 'em up with some very talented people. As the only artist on the team, I've never done animation or pixel art before, so I was hoping to get some feedback :)

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 09:40 PM PDT

    Made a space scene in Unreal Engine 4

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 09:33 AM PDT

    Objective C vs C++ for game development (non mobile platforms), please don't fight both are great languages! <scratch that> please don't fight both languages suck!

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 09:30 AM PDT

    Has anyone here tried using Objective-C for pc/console game dev? I had tried objective c development when coding an iOS App, liked it a lot and was surprised to see that game dev community did not adopt it in a big way, what do you folks think: is this because objective c is lacking tools? Game devs have started with C++ and so wouldn't waste time learning a new language? Is ObjC runtime too slow for games (hard to believe this BTW). OR its simply that objc syntax is unbearable for folks used to C syntax?

    Why should game developers run with this language? Here are a few thoughts...

    Dynamic nature of the language is great for designing entities that occur commonly in games:

    Say we have game code that must trigger sounds from any object that collides, in c++ you will end up using abstract classes and multiple inheritance (cpp gurus pls correct me if I am wrong here) and ensure that all objects that make sounds derive from it and invoke a ::MakeSound() method on it. In objectve C you simple add a method "makeSound" and at run time for the colliding object you can check to see if it responds to this method and invoke it.

    submitted by /u/onnestgamer
    [link] [comments]

    Charting Through Pacing of Uncharted 2. Part 2 - High-Level Pacing | Farlands In Focus

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 09:13 AM PDT

    What should I buy for a 13 year old interested in game development?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 07:39 PM PDT

    I hope this is the right subreddit. Apologies if it's not. My little sister's turning 13 and she's interested in video games and computers. I thought it would be a neat gift if I gave her something she could use to learn about game dev. I know nothing about game dev and compsci in general so I was hoping someone could recommend an educational but fun gift. Is there anything where she could follow instructions and design her own game? Not even totally sure what I'm looking for—open to all recs. Thanks so much!

    submitted by /u/bixtakespix
    [link] [comments]

    Exploration of race within Elves

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 04:58 PM PDT

    Lua Noise Libraries (Perlin, Simplex, FBM)... Do They Exist?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 07:50 AM PDT

    Hi all, I'm looking for noise libraries for Lua but am not having much luck. I'm looking for a library that has functions for Perlin Noise, Improved Perlin Noise (Simplex Noise), Fractal Brownian Motion, etc.. Mostly interested in Simplex Noise and FBM for terrain generation.

    Now I know that I can find code online for other languages but really want something for Lua and am stymied as to why I'm not finding any.

    Is this a case where I'm expected as a beginner coder to be able to take code written in C# / C++, etc. and translate it to Lua? Believe me this is a skill I would like to work on. Thank you for any help and advice.

    submitted by /u/MannequinRaces
    [link] [comments]

    Introduction to: Lux Aeterna - Alone in the Light

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 07:39 AM PDT

    Hello Everyone! We are Lux Aeterna, a new Bullet Hell project with a twist. Our lore mixes H. P. Lovecraft cosmic and monumental horror fortified with medically inspired plot elements and reinforced with artificial intelligence.

    LA recently won a slot to present in the elZerouno Gameplay Competition in Madrid this July.

    We are a small team based in California and Madrid. We are doing an AMA on twitter: @LuxAeternaGame

    https://reddit.com/link/c3qg3k/video/zuredpp09x531/player

    submitted by /u/LuxAeternaGame
    [link] [comments]

    What would be the process to create a 3D game like GTA 5 in Unreal Engine?

    Posted: 22 Jun 2019 07:36 AM PDT

    I have experience in UE4 building basic 3D games in first person. I want to move to 3rd person and build a GTA 5 like game albeit not as big as GTA.

    Where do I start? How would a AAA studio approach building a city from the ground up so that it stays optimized enough as the size grows? What are some ways to automate parts of building a city such as buildings and roads and NPCs?

    Please elaborate on the exact process that would start with an open terrain in UE4 with nothing to a full blown city with characters, vehicles and infrastructure. I am open to learning new stuff to fill any gaps. Thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/ranjit_walia1215
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment